• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laggy recordings no matter settings Nvidia RTX 3070

unknown_VS

This started few weeks ago, before that i had literally no issues recording whatsoever.

What happens is it'll record fine, but there are *always* at least a few seconds where the recordings stutter heavily (looks like 30 FPS or so)
I tried OBS, Streamlabs and Shadowplay, behaviour is always the same, high or low settings doesnt matter.

The only thing I changed was installing a Noctua CPU cooler, which shouldn't cause this but its around the same time frame.
Is this likely a software issue or is the GPU dying? In game everything looks smooth, its just the recordings that stutter ...

I tied DDU, a couple of different drivers, nothing changed, its really frustrating.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum btw.
Any help would be appreciated.

System Name KHR-1
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASRock B550 PG Velocita (UEFI-BIOS P3.40)
Memory 32 GB G.Skill RipJawsV F4-3200C16D-32GVR
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT
Storage Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF OLED-ASRock PG27Q15R2A (backup)
Case Corsair 275R
Audio Device(s) Technics SA-EX140 receiver with Polk VT60 speakers
Power Supply eVGA Supernova G3 750W
Mouse Logitech G Pro (Hero)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2
What drive do you have? I suspect a failing drive, if an SSD!

Processor AMD Ryzen R7 5800x
Motherboard B550i Aorus Pro AX
Cooling Custom Cooling
Memory 32Gb Patriot Viper 3600 RGB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Ventus Trio OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO
Display(s) Specterpro 34uw100
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Power Supply Cooler Master V750 Gold SFX
Mouse Glorious Model D Wireless
Keyboard Ducky One 2
VR HMD Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
You need to put a little more info than that. What are your specs? What game are you playing?

Anyways, I suspect it is a GPU encoder overload. Try capping your in-game FPS when recording or streaming.

System Name Dusty
Processor 5900x
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X
Storage yes
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750w
VR HMD Oculus CV1
Does it occur in all games or just some? I know there are some games when I use shadowplay that result in weird stutters or missing frames every so often. While in other games I never had any issues with it at all.

unknown_VS

What drive do you have? I suspect a failing drive, if an SSD!
Could be , but its a relatively new ssd (mx500) thats otherwise very fast and i also tried other drives, its really strange, recording is perfect except for a few seconds where frames drop really hard, you'd think it maybe wouldn't happen in shorter videos, but it doesnt matter, long or short, itll happen at least once.

You need to put a little more info than that. What are your specs? What game are you playing?

Anyways, I suspect it is a GPU encoder overload. Try capping your in-game FPS when recording or streaming.
But it worked fine before? with higher settings too. it just happened to randomly not work anymore. And thats the thing high settings, or low settings doesnt matter, itll always lag, also i thought RTX cards have a dedicated chip for recording and i never had issues even recording at 4k, suddenly it just gives me those lags...

specs are: Ryzen 3600, RTX 3070, B450 Tomahawk, 16GB RAM @ 3200

Does it occur in all games or just some? I know there are some games when I use shadowplay that result in weird stutters or missing frames every so often. While in other games I never had any issues with it at all.
Yeap, all games, it does not matter, even really not demanding ones.
I first thought its shadowplay too, but it happens with OBS also.

System Name Dusty
Processor 5900x
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X
Storage yes
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750w
VR HMD Oculus CV1
Do you have any game which rather consistently causes this issue? If you could log with hwinfo or the like and correlate the measurments to a specific timepoint in the recording where the stutter occured. To see if anything specific happened.

unknown_VS

Do you have any game which rather consistently causes this issue? If you could log with hwinfo or the like and correlate the measurments to a specific timepoint in the recording where the stutter occured. To see if anything specific happened.
yeah, good idea, though it doesnt look like usual suspects, gpu, cpu, ram, none at their limits seemingly, oh and even GPU encode never goes above 40 percent or so, I did check that , thought maybe it spikes but nothing.

yeah, good idea, though it doesnt look like usual suspects, gpu, cpu, ram, none at their limits seemingly, oh and even GPU encode never goes above 40 percent or so, I did check that , thought maybe it spikes but nothing.
Anything running in the background at all? I tend to shut off the nasties to eliminate any software issues.

System Name KHR-1
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Case Corsair 275R
Could be , but its a relatively new ssd (mx500) thats otherwise very fast and i also tried other drives, its really strange, recording is perfect except for a few seconds where frames drop really hard, you'd think it maybe wouldn't happen in shorter videos, but it doesnt matter, long or short, itll happen at least once.

But it worked fine before? with higher settings too. it just happened to randomly not work anymore. And thats the thing high settings, or low settings doesnt matter, itll always lag, also i thought RTX cards have a dedicated chip for recording and i never had issues even recording at 4k, suddenly it just gives me those lags...

specs are: Ryzen 3600, RTX 3070, B450 Tomahawk, 16GB RAM @ 3200

Yeap, all games, it does not matter, even really not demanding ones.
I first thought its shadowplay too, but it happens with OBS also.
Same motherboard as mine, cool! I have UEFI-BIOS version 1E and it's doing fine @3000(1500) with also the Fclk and Uclk at 1500.

About the Crucial MX500 500 GB SATA SSD that I was using:
I had an MX500 in use on the same motherboard, but despite no corruption or lag that I could notice, Crystal Disk Mark suddenly kept alerting me about the life percentage dropping! By the 4th quarter of 2020, it dropped to 80-something percent! Then by the 1st quarter of 2021, it plunged to only 82 percent! Looks like mine was pretty much guaranteed to fail in 5 years or less.

unknown_VS

Anything running in the background at all? I tend to shut off the nasties to eliminate any software issues.
Nope, really the thing is I had no issues at all recording at 4k/60 even when the system was basically maxed out then. Only thing i did change was a noctua CPU cooler and i turned pbo on and off to test, but its back to auto now as its always been, so if that messed something up its quite mysterious.

So one thing i noticed if i record a really short video of a not demanding game it sometimes works just fine, doesnt mean it does always though , but if i record a more demanding game even just for 5 minutes there will be one (strangely) 2-5 seconds long slow down, usually somewhere in the middle of the recording.

What should i look at in the hwinfo log? I looked at a lot of things like encode, hard drive usage ,clocks, memory, power... I'm not really seeing anything out of the ordinary or maxed out.

l0gfilea_07h39eeeeddthskly.png

The "drop" was around 5:40

System Name KHR-1
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Case Corsair 275R
If your B450 Tomahawk isn't the "Max", then if you have BIOS version before 1E, please update the BIOS to 1E. I don't recommend later than 1E for Matisse at this time!

1E seemed to have brought a performance boost for Matisse, for me.

unknown_VS

If your B450 Tomahawk isn't the "Max", then if you have BIOS version before 1E, please update the BIOS to 1E. I don't recommend later than 1E for Matisse at this time!

1E seemed to have brought a performance boost for Matisse, for me.
Alright I'll give this a try then, I also have the feeling its a "software" issue rather than hardware, its a bit too predictable / repeatable to be hardware I think.

unknown_VS

So updated BIOS, CPU perf went slightly up, everything feels fine. Recordings still lag though, no change with Shadowplay, just slight lag once in a while for apparently no reason, but OBS is 10 times more laggy now, sometimes down to a full halt, so 0 FPS...

It does feel like a hardware issue, but that doesnt make too much sense, nothing is maxed out.
I also noticed I get like 10FPS less as soon as i start recording with OBS, but Shadowplay has no performance impact on gameplay at all.

Maybe the NVENC chip is faulty? Or somthing related? Or its something with the monitor? I think Im trying my other none Gsync 60hz monitor thats stashed away.