• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Lapped my Q6600 and Vendetta 2

System Name Sonny Boy
Processor i5 11600K 4.9GHz @ 1.35 Vcore
Motherboard AORUS Z590 Elite AX
Cooling Deepcool Gammix 240mm AIO
Memory 4 X 8GB Teamgroup DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3060 Ti GDDR6X
Storage Adata Legend 1TB
Display(s) Philips 27" 4K
Power Supply Corsair 750W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer Huntsman V2
Software Windows 11 Pro
I had to take my system apart to add a backplate for my Vendetta 2 heatsink so I thought I would take advantage of the opportuity and lap the processor and heatsink. I was in a hurry so I didn't take pictures but the process I followed is listed below.

I used a piece of polished granite as my sanding surface. When we got our granite counter tops for the kitchen they gave us a granite cutting board as a bonus. Never really used it for cutting anything but it is an awesome flat surface for lapping heatsinks :laugh:

1) Taped some 220 grit to the granite surface and started with the processor. I marked an "X" on the surface with a permanent marker so I could observe where any bumps or valleys appear during sanding. As it turns out the IHS was only slightly raised in the center. It sanded remarkably evenly. I then gave the bottom of the Vendetta 2 a quick lap just to check flatness (I wanted to be careful with the exposed heatpipes... I hear they are thin walled). It looked pretty flat as well although the grind marks were a little rough for my taste. I did notice that the first application of the heatsink seemed to have put small dents into one heatpipe on adjacent corners of the CPU. Never did get those sanded out but they are at the very outside so I wasn't too bothered with them.

2) Changed to 400 grit and repeated on the CPU. Copper looking a little shinier. Again, just a quick lap on the heatsink.

3) Changed to 800 grit. Rinse and repeat....

4) Finished off with 1600 grit. I did not get it to a mirror finish but there were no obvious grooves or scratches at this point. Same with the Vendetta base. Very very smooth but not a mirror.

5) I ran a bead of MX2 along the center of the of aluminum partition between the center heatpipe and the two outside pipes. Smoothed that into the creases so that the TIM on the heatpipes would not ooze up into the crevice and not spread as desired.

6) Using a small plastic flexible tool I then spread a very very thin layer of MX2 along the whole surface of the heatpipes. I have seen other methods that involve one or two dollops on the base and allowing to spread from the center outwards but this seemed like I would guarantee good coverage.

7) Assembled the heatsink on the motherboard and tightened the 4 screws in a diagonal fashion a couple of turns at a time. Very tight fit and excellent compression from what I could see.

And after all of that I reassembled everything in the case and....

No difference from before the lapping :rolleyes:

Folding ovenight my Core 0 and Core 1 hit 62C max and Core 2 and 3 hit 57C. This is a Q6600 G0 VID 1.2875 running at 400X9 at 1.44V load (LLC enabled).

So other than the opportunity to gaze upon some smooth copper goodness it seems I may have wasted my time. It may have been that I just had a really flat IHS and heatsink to start with so removing the nickel has minimal impact.

My wife just rolled her eyes when she saw me sanding my new CPU :laugh: Hard to explain to non-techy types...

Processor Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q6600 Quad Core Processor(2.4GHz,8MB Cache,1066MHz)
Motherboard ASUSTeK - P5N-E - SLI nForce 650i SLI(C55) - ATX
Cooling TRUE with Xilence Red Wing 120mm fan
Memory OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800Mhz/PC2-6400 GOLD XTC
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD3870 XT 512MB Arctic Cooling Acellero S1 Rev. 2
Storage Seagate ST3500320AS 500GB SATA II 7200rpm 32MB Cache
Display(s) HANNS-G HU196D 19"
Case Antec 1200
Audio Device(s) 5.1 High Definition onboard sound card - 6 Channel Cinema sound
Power Supply 550W PSU
Software Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit
Benchmark Scores 10713 3DMark06 - No overclocking on anything
Worth it for the experience if you ask me!

System Name Sonny Boy
Storage Adata Legend 1TB
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Software Windows 11 Pro
Worth it for the experience if you ask me!

Yeah. The soreness in my right arm and roughened fingertips alone.... ummm... maybe I should rephrase that... ;)

System Name Evil Dragon
Processor AMD FX-8320 Vishera @4.7ghz
Motherboard Asus 970 pro gaming Aura
Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2(fully Lapped). 4 40mm NB/VRM fans. 6 Thermaltake Riing 12 Series fans
Memory 2X8gig GeIL EVO Veloce Series DDR3 1600 @9.9.9.26
Video Card(s) Powercolor Red Devil RX 480 (1400/2100)
Storage PNY XLR8 480gig SSD. Patriot Pyro SE 60gig SSD.
Display(s) ASUS VP228H LED
Case Thermaltake Core V31
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1150 W/Creative Sound Blaster Cinema 2
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ 110
Keyboard Roccat Isku FX
Software Win 10 Pro
Your not going to see immediate results I dare say.

Wait till the TIM has had proper break in time. Then see what the temps say. ;)

System Name Sonny Boy
Storage Adata Legend 1TB
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Software Windows 11 Pro
Your not going to see immediate results I dare say.

Wait till the TIM has had proper break in time. Then see what the temps say. ;)

I was used to break-in period for AS5 (to allow the silver particles to settle into place) but I thought MX-2 didn't require a break-in? Will keep an eye on it anyways.

The system is loaded 24/7 folding so it won't see any significant thermal cycles. I think the AS5 break-in wanted thermal cycles.