• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop Clubhouse!

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Who says doing IT Support for Family and friends a'int worth it

My Niece's Husband is a Dustbin man ( Garbage collector to you over the pond)
a few weeks ago he Found a Dell XPS 1710 Gamers Laptop Thrown out in the Dustbin on his round
so he brought it home.
No charger and a dead battery (turned out to be discharged) He asked me to look at it with a view to see if it was working or worth repairing so i did

well turned out the Graphics card was Kaput ( Nvidia cheap lead free Solder problem ie its a well known Nvidia graphics problem)

so i told him it was a repairable laptop problem ""for a price""
a re flowed graphics card off off fleecebay would be approx £60+
a new one well "if" you can find one price would be £200+ or i could oven bake the original Duff card and see if i could re-flow it myself (no guarantee of course).
Power brick secondhand off fleecebay would be approx £30 (must be at least capable of supplying 90 to 100w) new price would be about £35 to £45
So he said he would think about it.
a few weeks later he brought around his laptop and the Dell and said DVD packed up can i sort it out use the Dell for spares

so i took The DVD Drive from dell and changed all the bezels/fittings and fitted it to his laptop this got his laptop up and running.
So he is satisfied (NO charge its family of course)and he then said i could keep whats left of the Dell for myself .

well having plenty of time to surf the net (I'm unemployed caring full time for my Disabled 86 yr old Father)i started to hunt down the spares as cheap as i can find them to get this beast alive again
eventually i found a New Dell Charger for £24 (130w)
Brand new Nvidia Geforce GO 7950GTX 512mb graphics card(with 1 Year guarantee) to fit this Dell for £35
Bought both and fitted the graphics card plugged in the psu brick and it fired up went thru the bios settings and then allowed it to boot to hard disk Result
A fully working Laptop
time to look at it in detail
Lap top is circa 2006
Dell XPS M1710 silver top /black Base
Cpu is a Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2700 (2M Cache, 2.33 GHz, 667 MHz FSB
Nvidia Geforce GO 7950GTX 512mb graphics card
the O/S was XP -Pro and had been upgraded from XP-Pro to Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit (legit and already activated its done about 120 ish updates so far with no problems so it apears to be a genuine windows installation) on a 100 gig Sata drive
2x 1 gig of DDR2 5300 ram fitted which i upgraded to 2x 2gig of pc6400 DDR2 Ram making a total of 4 gig of DDR2 6400 ram
replaced the missing DVD drive with a spare i had Type is a slot Autoload type no drive door to break.
I intend removing the Wireless lan card which is a a/b/g mini pcix card(going to use a USB wireless N dongle) and replace it with a Avermedia TV Card DVB.(model A336af mini pcix).

so there we are a short tale of caring and supporting relatives IT problems

The moral of this is "Karma" what goes around comes around (either that or i have Nicer relative's than you have

Dorsetknob also wishes you all a merry "Bah Humbug season"