1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop Keyboard just failed

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ZakkWylde, Mar 7, 2010.

1. ZakkWylde

ZakkWylde

Thanks Received:
    My Dell studio 1555 keyboard just died, I'm quite sure its faulty hardware and not software related because I have done a system restore to a point before the failure. It isnt virus/spyware related as I have done checks with spybot s&d, malwarebytes, and symantec antivirus, as well as windows defender. I have installed and unistalled drivers. rebooted countless times. Attempted to run the dell diagnostics thing by pressing and holding the fn key while booting, nothing doing as the keyboard does not work. so it looks like I will be dealing with the dell customer service people :banghead: as my warranty is still good for another 150 days. Any suggestion for keyboard testing (hardware/software issues) or for dealing with dell support would be greatly appreciated. warranty horror stories will be fun to read aswell :p

2. fenurch

fenurch

Thanks Received:
    Although you didn't mention this, have you spilt drink or well, any liquid on it? Or I dunno, maybe even food?

And this isn't really relevant but all Window's have little On-Screen Keyboard which you can use (thought I might mention this, in case you didn't know).

ZakkWylde says thanks.
  3. ZakkWylde

ZakkWylde

Thanks Received:
    Nope, no spillage or damage. The laptop stays on my desk about 90% of the time so it isnt being thrown around or dropped. It is only about 7 months old. Onscreen keyboard! Damn wish I knew that sooner, oh well not a big deal my roomate lent me a spare usb keyboard.

4. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    New replacement Dell keyboards can be found can be found for as little as $25 on eBay if you can't get them to cover it under the warranty.

ZakkWylde says thanks.
  5. ZakkWylde

ZakkWylde

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, I will look into that just incase. Apparently they are easy to swap out

6. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    yea i do it all day they are pretty cheap and easy usually you can replace them by removing the bezel above the keyboard and removing a few screws under it then they lift up, slide the tabs out of the case on the bottom edge and disconnect the ribbon cable

ZakkWylde says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  7. ZakkWylde

ZakkWylde

Thanks Received:
    bumppp

8. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    If its still under warranty,why not just send it back,you may get a newer replacement.

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    I believe Dell diagnostics are accessed by pressing F12 at boot. You should be able to use the USB keyboard to do this... you notice I said should.

If you are using Dell Dock software...try disabling it, then reboot.

If it won't work right call dell and get it RMA'ed.

Goodluck:)

ZakkWylde says thanks.
  10. alucasa

Thanks Received:
    I have a Dell XPS M1330. Its motherboard gave out about a year ago.

Called Dell. Went through basic troubleshooting stuff. The rep said he'd mail a box to send back my laptop.

Next day morning 9AM, a box arrived. It was sent via Express priority (The best delivery possible in Canada).

I put the laptop in and sent it back (The box had a pre-paid express priority sticker.) in the evening.

The laptop was sent back only a day later, fully repaired.

It was the best support I received up to date.

stinger608 and ZakkWylde say thanks.
  11. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree. For laptops there are not many like Dell when it comes down to trouble shooting (if you can get a half way intelligent human on the phone) and warranty service.

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. LittleLizard

LittleLizard

Thanks Received:
    If u want a cheap solution (Its VERY UGLY but it works) is buy one of those silicon foldable keyboards, one that uses usb or ps2 and with an adapter to usb, then stick it with superglue where the original keyboard was and done.

PD: I told you it was ugly.

13. ZakkWylde

ZakkWylde

Thanks Received:
    lol @ the superglue replacement idea, I would love to see someone try that out :laugh: I am deff going to try out the dell diagnostics stuff with the usb keyboard, for some reason I forgot to try that. Not running dell dock, that was disabled ages ago :p thx for all the suggestions! most likely going to send it in, any other suggestions/ stories would be great. good to hear that the dell warranty business is A+ :)

14. ZakkWylde

ZakkWylde

Thanks Received:
    It works! just ran dell diagnostics on startup, launching it with the usb keyboard, and it recognized the built-in keyboard! thx to all for the help, especially viper, your suggestion saved the day! :toast: still i wonder what caused this, just hope it doesnt happen again.

15. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Your welcome.
    That problem has happened to others. If you scan through the Dell forums; it affects other models too, seems like it is a random thing. Some have done as you have to fix it or changed browsers or turned off Dell dock. Odd... Oh,well; they will fix it, eventually, maybe.
    Make sure you have the latest bios A08 and keep up for any other updates for a while.

:)

v2.0 says thanks.