1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop or Desktop?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by random, Feb 16, 2011.

1. random

Oct 19, 2008
    3,044 (1.04/day)
    Thanks Received:
    I have 1490 AUD to use on a rig, this is because my 5870 died and I decided to return my current spec so right now I have no computer.

I can easily get a SandyBridge setup with a 6970 or GTX580.

I can get this notebook

Considering the games coming out it doesn't look like I'll need a desktop to run the games but then again I don't want to be disappointed with the performance of the notebook so what I'm asking for really is some advice on whether I can assure myself that the notebook will be fine for this year's games to come or should I play it safe and just stick with a desktop.

Now I also will use the laptop's mobility effectively as I move around alot and it sometimes irritates me that I need to move my computer to my drum room to record and then back to my bedroom to play games on my LED TV, so that alone is quite an inconvenience given the fact I have an antec 1200 case which is a damn bitch to carry :laugh:.

EDIT: Also I will be getting a rig at around Q4 of 2011 hopefully I'll have a job by then so would a laptop do me fine for now as I'm not really keen on going back to intel and rather wait for bulldozer but then I need something to occupy me before that time comes.

Please give me some advice!
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  2. robal

Aug 5, 2008
    493 (0.16/day)
    Thanks Received:
    Hampshire, UK
    Sounds like you need a portable system, however... (my two cents here):

You will be disappointed with laptop performance. No matter what monster of a laptop you get, similarly priced desktop will outperform it (and be upgradeable). Your call.

I'd never consider a laptop for gaming.
    a) I needed portability, and it was more important than performance
    b) I played 5-year old games.
    c) I had lots of money, and would afford laptop AND desktop

3. BazookaJoe

Sep 4, 2008
    874 (0.29/day)
    Thanks Received:
    Yeah - this is a VERY played out question - that has only one answer - "Its Up to you"

Laptops are Portable - but performance costs a LOT and will never typically live up to the performance of a reasonable Desktop. (By TODAY'S technology)

Desktops, properly configured, are significantly more powerful, both mathematically and graphically - and the cost of that performance is significantly less than the same in a laptop - but desktops are Big, and not portable.

So If you need portability - Get a Laptop.

If you need performance and CARE about cost - Get a Desktop.

If you don't really care about performance or portability - Get whatever looks pretty.
  4. BinaryMage

BinaryMage New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    609 (0.29/day)
    Thanks Received:
    I agree with robal; it really depends how important portability is to you and what games or resource-intensive applications you will be using.
  5. overclocker

May 31, 2006
    1,153 (0.30/day)
    Thanks Received:
    I love laptops for gaming, I will never go back to just owning a desktop but I would love to have both.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  6. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Jun 13, 2010
    8,095 (3.49/day)
    Thanks Received:
    never buy a laptop if you aint gotta desktop.
    but desktop first.

others points still hold.
  7. BraveSoul

Jul 28, 2008
    999 (0.33/day)
    Thanks Received:
    i would say go with the laptop
    1 no more antec1200 carrying
    2 it would keep u occupied until bulldozer and next gen video cards come out
    GT540M definitely sucks, hang in there.meanwhile Enjoy the portability
    antec1200 filter mod
  8. Maelstrom

Sep 10, 2008
    534 (0.18/day)
    Thanks Received:
    One thing you could possibly do is build yourself a mini-itx rig, and then put a mid-high end range graphics card and a good cpu. This way you could get desktop performance, but it wouldn't be a bitch to move around.

However, if you truly need portability, get a laptop like others have said.