• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop Performance Issues

mcwesbrook

I have a question and i cant seem find any related issues posted on google or on any other forums. So, i decided to try and post here and see if anyone can help me.

There are the specs. I can also post Dxdiag. Sorry for not posting originally i was just wondering if anyone has heard/seen of a laptop charger doing such a thing.

System Specs:
-------------------------------

Video card: ATI x1270
OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version 6.0.6000 Build 6000
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Inspiron 1521
System Type X86-based PC
Processor AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-58, 1900 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A04, 10/30/2007
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume3
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6000.16407"
Total Physical Memory 1,917.39 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.07 GB
Total Virtual Memory 3.96 GB
Available Virtual Memory 3.10 GB
Page File Space 2.17 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

is that enough info?

Bout two days i started receiving FPS drops and stuttering, well at first i tried everything. Then i noticed it in other games...and then i noticed in just watching videos via dvd-rom or just streaming video off a site like abc.com. I then noticed it ONLY happens when my laptop charger is plugged into the wall, when my laptop is just on the battery it doesnt happen at all....Has any ever heard of such a thing? Our power in our apartment did surge about 3 times before i could unplug the computer, maybe it damaged something inside the computer, but if it was the computer it self wouldn't it LAG all the time not just when the AC Charger is hooked up? SO, im guessing maybe my laptop charger is damaged, or if there is a software conflict from when my charger is being plugged in. However, i do not see that being the problem considering i haven't changed any settings. Any help is appreciated, i just wanna know if i should in fact try a new charger, or if theres some tweaks or settings i need to check.

Thanks in advanced.

Last edited:

Darren

System Name Cheap yet powerful gaming and entertainment rig!
Processor AMD Athlon 3800+ X2 Windsor, 1 MB L2 Cache (512k L2 Per Core), 65W Energy efficient, 2GHz @ 2.78 Ghz
Motherboard Asrock ALiveNF7G-HD720p Rev v5.0
Cooling Freezer 64, 2x120mm, 1x92mm
Memory 8 GB DDRII PC6400 @ 929 MHz OCZ (2GBx4) timing: 5-5-5-5-16-2T
Video Card(s) XFX ATI4830
Storage Seagate 320 GB SATA (16 MB Cache)
Display(s) 19' HannsG (1440x900 @ 75hz)
Case Coolermaster Elite 330 Black Case
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Meridian, Pioneer VSX-516 Receiver 7.1 with DD/DD EX/Prologic II/DTS/DTS-ES//DTS: Neo
Power Supply Cool Master eXtreme Power 460W PSU
Software Vista Ultimate X64 Corporate Edition
Without telling us the specification of this laptop you can not expect anyone to give you a solution. We can not even give you a guess.

1.) specification
2.) laptop manufacturer, model number
3.) date of purchase, warranty validity
4.) games which you said that you were playing

Edit:

It was fps dropping to literally a flipbook with charger plugged in during the gameplay of: WoW, Counterstrike. And then it lagged every 10secs while playing a DVD last night and then lagged this morning while watching video on ABC.com. When i unplugged it from the wall it didnt do any drops in performance and it didnt stutter.

Laptop was purchased 1/08. warranty is valid still. everything listed in original post.

I haven't heard of this issue before, but then again I mainly deal with desktop computers rather than laptops. It sounds like the laptop could be overheating, perhaps the plug is causing additional heat to the battery and the heat is not escaping the case properly and hence causing the processor or video card to become unstable. If you have the opportunity to try another plug it is worth considering, your system is only a year old I would presume that manufacturer is responsible for its operation under the warranty and therefore you shouldn't have to worry about fixing this issue personally.

Edit 2:

Download an application called Speed Fan, it should tell you the temperature of your CPU and GPU.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_speedfan/

Last edited:

mcwesbrook

It was fps dropping to literally a flipbook with charger plugged in during the gameplay of: WoW, Counterstrike. And then it lagged every 10secs while playing a DVD last night and then lagged this morning while watching video on ABC.com. When i unplugged it from the wall it didnt do any drops in performance and it didnt stutter.

Laptop was purchased 1/08. warranty is valid still. everything listed in original post.

ktr

Check you power options in control panel. If there is some Dell power/performance manager...check its settings, or just uninstall it and let Vista take over. Also, the ATI catalyst control panel might also have power options.