• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop RTX 2070 problems

2drx4

I think this card is dead, but haven't tried wiping the whole laptop yet.

It's a Dell G7 17 7700 Windows 11, and supposedly this is an 8gb RTX 2070.

gpuz.gif

I bought it a couple months ago and only use it occasionally for editing video. It had a snafu to begin with regarding the GPU from a fresh install, but I was able to download the drivers for it and then it worked. I did occasionally have BSODs but figured I'd ignore it, since they never occurred when I was actually doing anything, seemed more like an issue with low power standby/sleep, in retrospect that was a bad idea. I believe I got the driver's directly from NVIDIA originally, but I don't recall specifically. A few days ago I realized I'd had a huge performance loss, checked the device manager, saw it was disabled for Code 43 so I was running integrated graphics. I wasn't sure if there had been an update to other drivers or windows, so opted to check GPU driver versions and reinstall. NVIDIA driver install tool claimed there wasn't a card installed, or wrong one, I figured strange, but often craptops run their own specific drivers due to high levels of integration, so went to the Dell support site and downloaded it there and installed successfully. Performance still seemed off, but the card claimed to be functioning, was able to render 1080P video at about a 1:1 rate. The NVIDIA control panel also disappeared at some point, it's not something I mess with nor present on my other laptops, so I didn't notice it was gone. I tried downloading it directly from the M$ Store and it would not open, ruh-roh. Then realized the card was regularly being disabled, but I could stop and restart it and it seemed to work for the time being. Checked other device drivers, everything is up to date, but I'm not sure if something changed from the Win11 side or not.

I'm assuming the card is a brick and I should see if I have warranty or not. Any other ideas? Will clean wipe the laptop once I'm done the current video and try that if nothing else.

Sorry for the typed diarrhea.

Oh, and in case anything I typed seems stupid, the last time I really cared about how computers worked, or why, was when a Pentium screaming at 233MHz, 32MB of RAM, with a S3 Savage 3D and a Soundblaster was pretty much tits. I'm a little out of the loop.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
When you say you bought it. Who did you buy it from? because when GPU-Z looks like that on a laptop it can be one of two things...

1. Someone tried to flash the card with a different bios - some laptops share the shame bios chip and even more so when the GPU is soldered directly onto the board rather than an add-in MXM style GPU and flashing it can really mess up the laptop making it really hard to fix when its in such a state like that.

2. Laptop is faulty, Contact the manufacturer or seller - whoever you have warranty with on the laptop for a replacement.

If you bought the laptop second hand - now you know why they wanted to get rid of the laptop. They probably tried to unlock the 2070's power limit and ended up doing something irreversible and Dell told them to take a hike.

2drx4

When you say you bought it. Who did you buy it from? because when GPU-Z looks like that on a laptop it can be one of two things...

1. Someone tried to flash the card with a different bios - some laptops share the shame bios chip and even more so when the GPU is soldered directly onto the board rather than an add-in MXM style GPU and flashing it can really mess up the laptop making it really hard to fix when its in such a state like that.

2. Laptop is faulty, Contact the manufacturer or seller - whoever you have warranty with on the laptop for a replacement.

If you bought the laptop second hand - now you know why they wanted to get rid of the laptop. They probably tried to unlock the 2070's power limit and ended up doing something irreversible and Dell told them to take a hike.
It came from a bigger retailer (Best Buy). BUT, I'm of a certain ethnicity (Scottish) that leads to me being cheap, and I bought a demo unit. Yes, that is red flag bad idea in every way. But I justified it in I put maybe 5-10 hours average a week on the laptop, so why worry about it being "used"? I just need cheap power to churn through rendering. I'm starting to realize there might have been significant flaws in my logic here.

I'd assume they didn't try to flash the card with a different BIOS. That would be odd for them to bother, as there would be no real incentive. Unless it was done to try to fix an issue.

Next possibility, did I flash to the latest and greatest (but incorrect for this GPU) BIOS by accident? Is it possible? I flashed to the latest BIOS for the motherboard, definitely remember doing that. I don't think I did the GPU unless NVIDIA's utility would do so automatically, which I assume it would have some sort of interlock mechanism to prevent you from being able to just do that actually by accident.

I'll have to find the paperwork and see what warranty I may or may not have.

No point wiping and trying a clean install of Windows?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Go ahead and try the OS wipe.

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
Maybe try reflashing to the newest version, then reinstalling Windows. If that doesn't work, try using an older BIOS (available from Dell's website)

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Maybe try reflashing to the newest version, then reinstalling Windows. If that doesn't work, try using an older BIOS (available from Dell's website)
So this specific laptop has a firmware update?

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD

FreedomEclipse

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
It came from a bigger retailer (Best Buy). BUT, I'm of a certain ethnicity (Scottish) that leads to me being cheap, and I bought a demo unit. Yes, that is red flag bad idea in every way. But I justified it in I put maybe 5-10 hours average a week on the laptop, so why worry about it being "used"? I just need cheap power to churn through rendering. I'm starting to realize there might have been significant flaws in my logic here.

I'd assume they didn't try to flash the card with a different BIOS. That would be odd for them to bother, as there would be no real incentive. Unless it was done to try to fix an issue.

Next possibility, did I flash to the latest and greatest (but incorrect for this GPU) BIOS by accident? Is it possible? I flashed to the latest BIOS for the motherboard, definitely remember doing that. I don't think I did the GPU unless NVIDIA's utility would do so automatically, which I assume it would have some sort of interlock mechanism to prevent you from being able to just do that actually by accident.

I'll have to find the paperwork and see what warranty I may or may not have.

No point wiping and trying a clean install of Windows?

That bios update could have borked it as all the hardware shares the same bios chip. Try flashing back to an older bios if possible or do a system wipe and see what happens.

Its not completely implausible for manufacturers to release bugged firmware occasionally. It happens to all tech manufacturers once in a while.

2drx4

That bios update could have borked it as all the hardware shares the same bios chip. Try flashing back to an older bios if possible or do a system wipe and see what happens.

Its not completely implausible for manufacturers to release bugged firmware occasionally. It happens to all tech manufacturers once in a while.
The mobo BIOS I did as part of the initial setup/debug/making the thing work, so it functioned more or less okay after that. This is a recent escalation of disabling the card constantly. But yeah, I could try going back to an older one and seeing.

Reality is I just have to push this video through, then I can try all this stuff. Or find my warranty info (if it has any) soon, in case it expires.

2drx4

I got the video finished, or more correctly I got it to a point that I wasn't super upset with it, and managed to limp it through rendering it so I could save it. Stability continued to decrease throughout this entire process. I've had Resolve crash maybe two or three times in all the years I've used it, it crashed upwards of twenty times getting through the last few hours of this.

Tired the older BIOS, had a "ME update failed" at one point, but appeared to flash. Googling that showed multiple old threads about it, didn't look any more into it because the problems associated with it aren't what I'm having. Removed all the drivers for the GPU before flashing. Tried installing an older version of them after, didn't work, not Win 11 compatible. Downloaded the NVIDIA GeForce Experience thing, installed it and let it find drivers and download them. Super frustrating, required registration and didn't run well, basically was just a direct ad loader, type of software that shouldn't exist. It would not install drivers, failed every time. Installed the drivers off Dell's site again, same as before, appeared to work but then would disable the card with code 43. GPU-Z still can't see the firmware version or memory for the card.

I'm going to do a backup and wipe, I guess. Or just backup, delete personal info (there's basically none, like I said I just use it for videos) and take it to BestBuy. I dunno, I honestly think it's hardware, but what do I know.

I'm curious if this actually was a display model, or if it was a customer return, and they didn't tag it correctly or told me incorrectly.

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Knowing bestbuy its probably both... Ex display AND customer return. :laugh:

There are few more ways to attempt to fix it but it honestly not worth the time and effort if you have warranty. Just get a new laptop from bestbuy.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Knowing bestbuy its probably both... Ex display AND customer return. :laugh:

There are few more ways to attempt to fix it but it honestly not worth the time and effort if you have warranty. Just get a new laptop from bestbuy.
If there is even 1 for a 2yo gpu.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Hoping it's painless to just warranty it.

I bought it March 9th.
Ok hope there is a 1 yo warranty on it, dont waste time get the warranty ticket started

2drx4

Ok hope there is a 1 yo warranty on it, dont waste time get the warranty ticket started
I believe there was. Open box, so no documentation with it, but I have the receipt. All it says is open box items have the same warranty as regular items... Which I think is a year.

I'll find out tomorrow I guess. But thinking about your original comment, I guess it likely can't be repaired as it's out of production, and there likely isn't spare parts. So, credit? Replacement? Or they just tell me to not let the door hit me on the way out?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I believe there was. Open box, so no documentation with it, but I have the receipt. All it says is open box items have the same warranty as regular items... Which I think is a year.

I'll find out tomorrow I guess. But thinking about your original comment, I guess it likely can't be repaired as it's out of production, and there likely isn't spare parts. So, credit? Replacement? Or they just tell me to not let the door hit me on the way out?
You wont know till tomorrow

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]

It's an open box last gen system. Just get credit and find something else.

2drx4

It's an open box last gen system. Just get credit and find something else.
Pushed for that and they said no, we'll send it out.

So eh. One way or another I think I might as well start trying to pick out a replacement.