1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop, Screan wont light up.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by quasar923, Oct 17, 2008.

1. quasar923 Guest

Ok so my brother has an apple powerbook G4 laptop. heres the problem: You can turn on the laptop and hear it running, the numlock key, caps lock key, and scroll lock keys all light up after you turn the laptop on. you can even change the volume and hear it make the click sounds, so the screan just wont light up. I think it is a GPU problem because i have tried plunging in my monitor into the DVI connection on the side of the laptop which i have used before with a monitor and it had worked, but this time it didnt, so Is the GPU dead? IF so What GPU should i get costing under $100 or so?

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. GameSinewPCs

GameSinewPCs New Member

Thanks Received:
    If it is indeed a GPU problem (which it sounds like it is), and you're on a laptop then unless its MXM you usually can't replace the GPU (even then thats a painful process). This is an instance where you should explore taking advantage of the warranty (which it sounds like just might be expired?). You can search around for a motherboard replacement, but that probably won't be worth your time or effort and unless I'm missing something, you're probably best off looking into a new system.

3. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    is it an nvida gpu per chance? if so this may intrest you.

http://www.techpowerup.com/73487/Some_Apple_MacBook_Pro_Notebooks_are_Affected_by_the_NVIDIA_Faulty_GPUs_After_All.html

10 Year Member at TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. GameSinewPCs

GameSinewPCs New Member

Thanks Received:
    That won't pertain to this instance

5. quasar923 Guest

no this is an older mac, a G4 which is about 2004-06 i believe. weve had the laptop for a few years maybe 2 and my uncle owned it before that for a few years, im not exactly sure how long. So i do not think it used the nvidia 8600 gpu. Its most likely on board graphics, altho it does have a dvi connection which most on board graphics dont have, especially from 2006 era. But even if it is onboard then isnt there a pcie slot on the mobo?

10 Year Member at TPU