• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop shutdown on battery

cangonulacar

I didn't have such a problem before. I ran the laptop on battery. When I start ThrottleStop, the laptop shuts down directly. In the limit part, cpu and gpu give BD Prochot error. How can I solve it?

I think it's fixed. Installed intel graphics driver in battery mode. There is no problem at the moment, but when I pull the plug, the bd prochot text appears in the limit section, it turns red, it gets better after 1-2 seconds, is this normal?

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    545.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 2.png
    2.png
    477.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 3.png
    3.png
    410.6 KB · Views: 66

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
when I pull the plug, the bd prochot text appears in the limit section, it turns red, it gets better after 1-2 seconds, is this normal?
Yes, that is normal. Some manufacturers do this to protect the battery from sudden changes. If you are running a full load stress test and you switch to battery power, the sudden change could damage the battery. BD PROCHOT throttling slows the CPU down to a crawl during this transition time period which in theory should only last a couple of seconds. Some laptops get stuck at the minimum speed indefinitely because of BD PROCHOT throttling.

Is this throttling really necessary? Probably not. It just delays the inevitable by a couple of seconds. After you switch to battery power, sooner or later BD PROCHOT will be disabled and the CPU will try to run at full speed and full load if you are in the middle of a stress test. I just do not see that this type of throttling is going to make any difference. Whether the CPU runs at full power the moment you pull the plug or two seconds after you pull the plug seems to be exactly the same to me. If you agree with my logic, clear the BD PROCHOT check box on the main screen of ThrottleStop. Using BD PROCHOT throttling to lock the CPU to 400 MHz is a good way to create a BSOD when undervolting.

I prefer using common sense. I avoid running Prime95 on a laptop and I would definitely avoid pulling the plug while Prime95 is running. I would avoid pulling the plug in the middle of any full load stress test. Most batteries are not designed to fully power modern computers when both the CPU and Nvidia GPU are heavily loaded. The world is full of people with no common sense so that is probably the real reason BD PROCHOT throttling is used.

Your -79 mV undervolt might be stable at full load but it might be too much when lightly loaded or when the CPU is forced to run at 400 MHz. Many 10th Gen mobile CPUs start to lose stability at -70 mV. Your computer should never lock up or BSOD. If it does, your CPU is telling you that it needs more voltage.

I see that you still have Power Limit 4 set to 60. Why? Setting this current limit too low can also cause instability.

cangonulacar

Güç Sınırı 4'ün ömrünün 60'a ayarlı olduğunu gösteriyor. Neden? Bu akım sınırını çok düşük kararlı da kararsızlığa neden olabilir.
I deleted the settings. this is default settings

I'm not testing. Should I turn off BD PROCHOT for normal internet use and games?

unclewebb

Even if 60 is the default setting for Power Limit 4, I would still not use 60. I always set Power Limit 4 to a value of 0.

Should I turn off BD PROCHOT for normal internet use and games?
I always clear the BD PROCHOT box. I do not like this type of throttling. I never want to see my CPU slowing down to 400 MHz. I think this type of throttling is too extreme.

You can decide whether to leave the BD PROCHOT box checked or not.

cangonulacar

Güç Sınırı 4 için varsayılan ayar 60 olsa bile, yine de 60 kullanmazdım. Güç Sınırı 4'ü her zaman 0 değerine ayarlarım.

BD PROCHOT kutusunu her zaman temizlerim. Bu tür daraltmayı sevmiyorum. CPU'mun 400 MHz'e yavaşladığını asla görmek istemiyorum. Bence bu tür bir kısıtlama çok aşırı.

BD PROCHOT kutusunu işaretli bırakıp bırakmamaya karar verebilirsiniz.
thank you so much. I already did what you said. the photos were old

sometimes I see EDP other and PL2 in the limit tab. They are not red. Sometimes cpu sometimes gpu sometimes ring. What are these? How should I go about the solution?

unclewebb

Your last screenshots show PL2 is set to 35W. If you reduce the power limits you will see PL2 light up red in Limit Reasons under the CORE column. That indicates that power limit throttling is taking place. Setting the power limits low tells the CPU to throttle. It is doing what you are asking it to do. If you want less throttling, you can increase the power limits but that will create more heat.

Only look for red boxes in the Limit Reasons CORE column. That is the important information to look at.

Lei

Processor 3900x - Bykski waterblock
Motherboard MSI b450m mortar max BIOS Date 27 Apr 2023
Cooling αcool 560 rad - 2xPhanteks F140XP
Memory Micron 32gb 3200mhz ddr4
Video Card(s) Colorful 3090 ADOC active backplate cooling
Storage WD SN850 2tb ,HP EX950 1tb, WD UltraStar Helioseal 18tb+18tb
Display(s) 24“ HUION pro 4k 10bit
Case aluminium extrusions copper panels, 60 deliveries for every piece down to screws
Audio Device(s) sony stereo mic, logitech c930, Gulikit pro 2 + xbox Series S controller, moded bt headphone 1200mAh
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x
Mouse pen display, no mouse no click
Keyboard Microsoft aio media embedded touchpad (moded lithium battery 1000mAh)
Software Win 11 23h2 build 22631
Benchmark Scores cine23 20000
@unclewebb so can I throttle dell Inspiron 16 plus 12700H cpu? It's too noisy even when just browsing.

unclewebb

@Lei

The 12700H CPUs do not support CPU voltage control. You can use ThrottleStop to reduce the CPU speed. That may or may not help.

If you have any more questions about your 12700H, start a new thread.

Reactions: Lei