• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop Won't Power On

jonny8159

I have had my laptop for over 6 years now, and I know that computers, especially laptops, don't last forever. But this has been very faithful to me since the day I bought it, and I'm very disappointed by it's recent issue.

Basically, the laptop has been fine up until a few weeks back. Like normal, I put it on my desk, plugged it in, pressed the power button... But, nothing happened. It won't power on.

I assumed the motherboard had died, or something far worse. However, I then troubleshooted this problem on Acer's support page and went through various steps to diagnose the issue.

I removed the battery, plugged in the AC adapter and it switched on, began to boot up, but only lasted 10 seconds before powering off. Now, it won't do anything.

Is the AC adapter broken or the battery, or the laptop itself?

Any advice? :eek:

EDIT: I have an Acer Aspire 3690

My specs are:

Intel Pentium Celeron 1.7GHz
1GB DDR2 RAM
60GB HDD
256MB Shared Intel Graphics

I know this is outdated, but I still used it for the mobility sake more than anything else. It was great for writing on when out and about. Now I am tied down to my desktop.

6 years is a long time for a laptop, you've certainly gotten your use out of it...I'd look to upgrade personally.

That being said...do you have a voltmeter? Test the charger and see what it is putting out. Try booting something besides Windows (such as a LiveCD of your choice of Linux distribution) and see if it will boot to that.

System Name Coffee | Maximus
Processor Intel Core i7 9700K @ 5.2 GHz with AVX, 4.8 GHz cache clock | i7 9700KF @ 5.0 GHz/4.7 GHz cache
Motherboard ASUS Maximus X Formula | ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger (modded BIOS for Coffee Lake)+TPM2.0 module
Cooling Cooler Master ML240 Illusion | Cooler Master ML120L RGB
Memory 2*16 GB (32 GB) Kingston Fury Beast @3600 MHz CL17 | 4*8 GB (32 GB) HyperX Fury @3200 MHz CL14
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB Twin Edge | Galax RTX 2060 Super 8 GB
Storage Samsung PM981a 1TB NVMe+480GB SATA SSD+2 TB HDD | Crucial P5 1TB, Crucial P1 500GB+2.5TB HDDs
Display(s) LG OLED 55 G3, 4K 120 Hz, VRR, ALLM, GSync, FreeSync | Samsung 43AU9070 4K TV, VRR, ALLM
Case Corsair Crystal 460X RGB | Lianli Lancool 215
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z SE | Realtek ALC1150 (Supreme FX)
Power Supply ASUS ROG Strix 750G (80+ Gold) | Cooler Master MWE 650 V2 (80+ Bronze)
Mouse Cooler Master MM731 19000 DPI gaming mouse
Keyboard Cooler Master CK721 65% mechanical gaming keyboard (tactile)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 |Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20 MT 4200,ST 547 CPU-Z MT 4871, ST 620 | R20 MT - 4158, ST - 534, CPU-Z MT 4798, ST 603
I have had my laptop for over 6 years now, and I know that computers, especially laptops, don't last forever. But this has been very faithful to me since the day I bought it, and I'm very disappointed by it's recent issue.

Basically, the laptop has been fine up until a few weeks back. Like normal, I put it on my desk, plugged it in, pressed the power button... But, nothing happened. It won't power on.

I assumed the motherboard had died, or something far worse. However, I then troubleshooted this problem on Acer's support page and went through various steps to diagnose the issue.

I removed the battery, plugged in the AC adapter and it switched on, began to boot up, but only lasted 10 seconds before powering off. Now, it won't do anything.

Is the AC adapter broken or the battery, or the laptop itself?

Any advice? :eek:

EDIT: I have an Acer Aspire 3690

My specs are:

Intel Pentium Celeron 1.7GHz
1GB DDR2 RAM
60GB HDD
256MB Shared Intel Graphics

I know this is outdated, but I still used it for the mobility sake more than anything else. It was great for writing on when out and about. Now I am tied down to my desktop.

^+1
After checking the power adapter, take apart the laptop and clean everything, apply new thermal compound and fire it up. Another thing, you said it does not start up. Now tell me, are the lights glowing? Does it turn on and turn off after a few seconds? Does it turn on but won't show any video?? Which one?