1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Larrabee 2.7x faster than GT200 in SGEMM

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by KainXS, Dec 2, 2009.

1. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    It isn't canceled, it is delayed. They are moving forward with the GPGPU aspects of it until the DirectX/OpenGL drivers are sorted. Intel's driver programmers have a mountain of work there so it doesn't surprise me.

Master says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory

Thanks Received:
  3. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    'Nuff said.

I don't see "canceled" in there anywhere.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's canceled, because this silicon will never be released as a product. They will start again with a new chip, although they will be based on the current one and they will use this one for research. At least that's what I understand from the link. Probably that's the problem when you (Intel or the media) call the chip and the project the same. Larrabee the chip has been canceled, Larrabee the project postponed.

5. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    its not cancelled its going to the HPC market(where it should be) instead and will be delayed a little.

then I saw Charlie Demerjian and lol'd

6. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, HPC market is the goal in 2010. As I said previously, I think the D3D and OGL drivers are behind schedule so the GPU products have to wait until it catches up to the hardware. From what I read, it sounds like the same Larrabee chip is at the heart of them both. Whether or not the chips that do get released can be upgraded to GPUs when the time comes depends if the HPC cards have display out ports or not.

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    After reading other links than the one I posted, yep, I realized you are both correct. At first, I thought it was going to be distributed in short quantities as a means for developers to learn to program for the architecture.

It was "internal" which tricked me actually. Doesn't the wording of that sentence suggest it's going to be in limited quantities? But the sentence was clearly out of context according to what we read in other sources.

And this is a little bit off-topic, but how does this affect Project Offset? Wasn't it meant to be released with Larrabee or around the same time? It can become the most delayed game in history, after DNF.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  8. wiak

wiak

Thanks Received:
    G300 and hemlock both are faster than canceled larrabee

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, why would Intel want to distribute it internally? Are they saying their driver developers are working with vaporware/emulators now?

It almost sounds like Intel is launching a beta for "external" HPC development and they are distributing them internally for HPC development and (or not) GPU development. I guess what I walk away with is that the card released in 2010 will still be in beta and cards ready for mass release won't be until at least 2011.

In other words, Intel's investors are starting to shake their fists at the project so they have to push something out to keep it alive.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....mmmmmmmmm...

Larrabee, Havok, and Project Offset all go hand in hand, clearly. Project Offset would be an engine that can make full use of the scalability of Larrabee and Havok on Larrabee is akin to PhsyX on GeForce 8 Series and up. I think Project Offset would be available before the card launches (the engine, at least) so that the Larrabee card would have a strong launch line up. The question is: where is the development hold up (Larrabee hardware, Larrabee software, Project Offset engine, Havok on Larrabee, etc.)?

I think what is certain is that Intel put too much money into Larrabee (acquiring Havok, acquiring Project Offset, acquiring several former employees of NVIDIA, etc.) to let it die. They are committed to seeing it through, for better or worse.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    I thought that this Larrabee was canceled except in software form? Why would we still be debating it. I thought the reason that they canceled it was because that it perpetually kept getting postponed?
    Sure it would be great to get more competition out there to keep prices down. But it doesn't look like it will happen when you can get a 5870/5970 with better performance right now.

11. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Nehalem was perpetually canceled (circa 2000) until it was launched (circa 2008).

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    This isn't Nehalem though....... But I do stand corrected:)

13. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    this depends purely on the definition of your arithmetic operations.
    typically the basic idea is inf+x=inf and inf-x=inf. this means that your limit operator will not "increase" anything

10 Year Member at TPU