• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Legality of TPU Hosting DLSS DLLs

Status
Not open for further replies.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
I moved the comments from the news thread here, so you can continue the discussion

System Name Sillicon Nightmares
Processor Intel i7 9700KF 5ghz (5.1ghz 4 core load, no avx offset), 4.7ghz ring, 1.412vcore 1.3vcio 1.264vcsa
Motherboard Asus Z390 Strix F
Cooling DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 360
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB (B-Die) 3600 14-14-14-28 1t, tRFC 220 tREFI 65535, tFAW 16, 1.545vddq
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 1060 Strix 6GB XOC, Core: 2202-2240, Vcore: 1.075v, Mem: 9818mhz (Sillicon Lottery Jackpot)
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD, WD Blue 1TB, Seagate 3TB, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 512GB
Display(s) BenQ XL2430 1080p 144HZ + (2) Samsung SyncMaster 913v 1280x1024 75HZ + A Shitty TV For Movies
Case Deepcool Genome ROG Edition
Audio Device(s) Bunta Sniff Speakers From The Tip Edition With Extra Kenwoods
Power Supply Corsair AX860i/Cable Mod Cables
Mouse Logitech G602 Spilled Beer Edition
Keyboard Dell KB4021
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores 13543 Firestrike (3dmark.com/fs/22336777) 601 points CPU-Z ST 37.4ns AIDA Memory
isnt this illegally redistributing licensed code?

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
We're not distributing code.
You're redistributing DLLs produced by nVidia. I don't see the difference. nVidia forces developers to agree to some terms before making the DLLs available.

Also, their license specifically says:
b. Except as expressly provided in this license, you may not copy, sell, rent, sublicense, transfer, distribute, modify, or create derivative works of any portion of the SDK. For clarity, you may not distribute or sublicense the SDK as a stand-alone product.

You're also not shipping it with an application.

Case and point:
2. DISTRIBUTION REQUIREMENTS. These are the distribution requirements for you to exercise the grants above
a. An application must have material additional functionality, beyond the included portions of the SDK.

I hate to say it, but this is a blatant violation of nVidia's terms.

Last edited:
System Name The Cum Blaster
Processor R9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wifi
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer LT360
Memory 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix @ 3800C16
Video Card(s) 7900 XTX Nitro+
Storage Lots
Display(s) 4k60hz, 4k144hz
Case Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750W
You're redistributing DLLs produced by nVidia. I don't see the difference. nVidia forces developers to agree to some terms before making the DLLs available.

Case and point:

you quote the license, but the DLL is not the SDK. a DLL is a binary file, SDK is a software development kit, which usually contains some sort of source code. a DLL is not user-readable and is not source code.
take this cancel-tier shit to twitter where it belongs

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
you quote the license, but the DLL is not the SDK. a DLL is a binary file, SDK is a software development kit, which usually contains some sort of source code. a DLL is not user-readable and does not contain source code.
take this cancel-tier shit to twitter where it belongs
This one DLL is part of the SDK and they say specifically the included portions of the SDK, because not all applications are going to use all of it. Also yes, it does. You can use a DLL in Visual Studio and interact with the APIs it provides. That's why nVidia provides them for developers to use after accepting this license. The only valid reason to redistribute these files is when it's shipped with an application using it and that application does something more than what the DLLs provide.

Simply put, your take is bad and you should feel bad.

Case and point:

While you are absolutely right in your interpretation of this agreement. Neither this DLL nor the games they came from have this license agreement to accompany with them. This Agreement that you quote, is for those who chose specifically to use nVidia SDK, which I dont think is the case here. Furthermore, Techpowerup didn't agree to any of those terms anywhere in the process of receiving this file, because they weren't extracted from SDK.

Processor R9 5900x
Storage Lots
This one DLL is part of the SDK and they say specifically the included portions of the SDK, because not all applications are going to use all of it. Also yes, it does. You can use a DLL in Visual Studio and interact with the APIs it provides. That's why nVidia provides them to developers to use. The only valid reason to redistribute these files is when it's shipped with an application using it.

Simply put, your take is bad and you should feel bad.
I think your take is bad and you should feel bad until nvidia takes some kind of action, which they wont; now what?

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
I think your take is bad and you should feel bad until nvidia takes some kind of action, which they wont; now what?
We'll see about that, now won't we. This post was from an hour ago, it takes time for a company to take action.
While you are absolutely right in your interpretation of this agreement. Neither this DLL nor the games they came from have this license agreement to accompany with them. This Agreement that you quote, is for those who chose specifically to use nVidia SDK, which I dont think is the case here. Furthermore, Techpowerup didn't agree to any of those terms anywhere in the process of receiving this file.
Then where did they get the DLLs from? Your kind of splitting hairs and I don't think a business will see it that way.

Then where did they get the DLLs from? Your kind of splitting hairs and I don't think a business will see it that way.

Game folders. Not splitting hair. Agreements apply where provided. They don't apply where not provided or agreed to.

This is similar TechPowerUp hosting BIOS files. The BIOS is property of nVidia provided to manufacturers under strict Agreements and Conditions. However, extracting a BIOS from a GPU that you purchase, and posting file does not in turn hold you accountable, as you did not agree to BIOS terms and conditions.

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Game folders. Not splitting hair. Agreements apply where provided. They don't apply where not provided or agreed to.
That's because you've moved away from authorized users and into the realm of unauthorized users. So instead of being a license violation, it's a copyright violation. Once again, businesses aren't going to stop in their tracks because some armchair warrior thinks they understand how the law works. Either the DLL was copyrighted material that was copied or W1zz agreed to nVidia's terms and is in violation of the license. Either way, it doesn't sound good.

That's because you've moved away from authorized users and into the realm of unauthorized users. So instead of being a license violation, it's a copyright violation. Once again, businesses aren't going to stop in their tracks because some armchair warrior thinks they understand how the law works.

Nope. Again not true. Authorized and Unauthorized specifically applies if unauthorized is defined as such in the agreement and universally applied to everyone who hasn't even read that agreement. Which is not true here.

This is similar TechPowerUp hosting BIOS files. The BIOS is property of nVidia provided to manufacturers under strict Agreements and Conditions. However, extracting a BIOS from a GPU that you purchase, and posting file does not in turn hold you accountable, as you did not agree to BIOS terms and conditions.

Additionally, you retorting and calling others "arm chair warrior" doesn't give you any credibility. So please keep your name calling to yourself.

System Name Negra5
Processor i5 6500
Motherboard ASUS Z170M-Plus
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX3
Memory Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) PNY GTX-1070, XFX RX480
Storage Gigabyte 256GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD, WD 4TB HDD.
Display(s) SAMSUNG 32" FullHD
Case GAMING EAGLE WARRIOR CG-06R1
Audio Device(s) nVidia HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair GS800W 80 Plus Bronze
Mouse Cooler Master Devastator MS2k
Keyboard Cooler Master Devastator MB24
Software Windows 10 20H2
Benchmark Scores Pfft
That's because you've moved away from authorized users and into the realm of unauthorized users. So instead of being a license violation, it's a copyright violation. Once again, businesses aren't going to stop in their tracks because some armchair warrior thinks they understand how the law works. Either the DLL was copyrighted material that was copied or W1zz agreed to nVidia's terms and is in violation of the license. Either way, it doesn't sound good.

You a lawyer or represent nVidia?

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Nope. Again not true. Authorized and Unauthorized specifically applies if unauthorized is defined as such in the agreement and universally applied to everyone who hasn't even read that agreement. Which is not true here.

That's a false equivalency. I don't recall ever agreeing to a license to download BIOS files for my motherboards or GPUs like nVidia does when you download these libraries. Once again, it's still either a copyright violation or a license violation. Also, if an application does ship these DLLs part of the license is saying that they need to ship with similar terms.

nVidia does call this out for those using the libraries.

c. You agree to distribute the SDK subject to the terms at least as protective as the terms of this license, including (without limitation) terms relating to the license grant, license restrictions and protection of NVIDIA’s intellectual property rights.
^ That's something the distributor has to enforce. All they have to say is that they shipped the game with the license to cover themselves legally.

I suspect lawyers are better at practicing law than you are.

You a lawyer or represent nVidia?
No, I know how to read a freaking license and I write software for a living and have to abide by these sort of licenses. Apparently you people don't.

Edit: ...and for what it's worth, I have notified nVidia. I'll let them figure it out. They'll either take action or they won't, but if it were my software and people were in violation of the license, I'd be pretty pissed.

Last edited:
I don't recall ever agreeing to a license to download BIOS files for my motherboards or GPUs like nVidia does when you download these libraries.

Exactly. Because Manufacturers and devs who modify BIOS are the ones agreeing to those terms, not you as an end user. Please read my statement again before just trying to disagree for the sake of disagreeing. Calling it false equivalency is your opinion, prove it if you think you are right.

Processor R9 5900x
Storage Lots

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
spnidel said:
read: "I'm right, and even if I'm not I'm still right"
They might just not care, but the language of the license makes me think that they do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Exactly. Because Manufacturers and devs who modify BIOS are the ones agreeing to those terms, not you as an end user. Please read my statement again before just trying to disagree for the sake of disagreeing. Calling it false equivalency is your opinion, prove it if you think you are right.
Well, then you're getting into intended purpose. There's probably a license somewhere for things like BIOS and it probably calls out that it's okay to distribute for an intended use and not modification. It's probably in the zip that comes with the BIOS or something if you don't explicitly agree to it. At least that would be my expectation. That is not what nVidia's license says though. The verbiage is pretty clear on the fact that it's their IP and they want it protected if you agree to use it and they go so far to make you agree to it and require the users of these libraries to do the same by including the license as a term of using it, so someone is always responsible.

This is why it's either a copyright violation (sp. theft,) or a license violation. If you copy it from a game, you either agree with the license and are violating it, or you're copying it against the licenses provided with the game. If the game doesn't have the license, then that business is liable for being in violation of the license since they had to get it from somewhere or for illegally copying it themselves, but an entity is always responsible when nVidia does it this way.

Look, I'm no fan of nVidia, but I don't think this is legal. I really don't.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
Edit: ...and for what it's worth, I have notified nVidia. I'll let them figure it out. They'll either take action or they won't, but if it were my software and people were in violation of the license, I'd be pretty pissed.
Oh my god, what a jobsworth! PLEASE report me to nVidia as well, I effing hate them, and you can quote that to them, from me, with love.

But really though, what a piece of work... You have a gall to call spnidel a child, while you are the one playing the playground snitch?

What exactly do you want to happen? This site to get shut down? to make peoples lives a little more miserable? Seriously, why don't you just delete the bookmark and move on dude?

Last edited:
System Name Negra5
Processor i5 6500
Motherboard ASUS Z170M-Plus
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX3
Memory Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) PNY GTX-1070, XFX RX480
Storage Gigabyte 256GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD, WD 4TB HDD.
Display(s) SAMSUNG 32" FullHD
Case GAMING EAGLE WARRIOR CG-06R1
Audio Device(s) nVidia HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair GS800W 80 Plus Bronze
Mouse Cooler Master Devastator MS2k
Keyboard Cooler Master Devastator MB24
Software Windows 10 20H2
Benchmark Scores Pfft
That's a false equivalency. I don't recall ever agreeing to a license to download BIOS files for my motherboards or GPUs like nVidia does when you download these libraries. Once again, it's still either a copyright violation or a license violation. Also, if an application does ship these DLLs part of the license is saying that they need to ship with similar terms.

nVidia does call this out for those using the libraries.

^ That's something the distributor has to enforce. All they have to say is that they shipped the game with the license to cover themselves legally.

I suspect lawyers are better at practicing law than you are.

No, I know how to read a freaking license and I write software for a living and have to abide by these sort of licenses. Apparently you people don't.

That's exactly what i thought you would do, lol run off to them like if your life depends on it and tell them of the "horrible" things that this site is doing with their Intelectual Property.

Seriously dude, you don't belong here. You're better off hanging out on Twitter cancelling Famous people for expressing their opinion. You would fit perfectly there.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7

Case and point:

With simple modders implementing AMD's FSR in games with easy, if we consider GTA V example as an indication of what is coming, Nvidia could have sent those libraries themselves to TechPowerUp and other tech sites.

"Edit: ...and for what it's worth, I have notified nVidia. I'll let them figure it out. They'll either take action or they won't, but if it were my software and people were in violation of the license, I'd be pretty pissed."

Seriously? I have no idea if you are right or wrong. You could be absolutely, 100% correct. Frankly, I don't care one way or the other. It is what it is. But to run off and tattle to Nvidia because some other posters challenged you is just.... I don't know. Impressive, and not in a good way.

Processor Ryzen 5600X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Software Win11
This "problem" if it exists is between TPU and Nvidia and we speculating about it is useless. If there comes up any conflict, we are also useless.
I´ll now go on and eat my pizza.

Processor R9 5900x
Storage Lots
that feel when you're so desperate to win an internet argument you run to a corporation's lawyers

Status
Not open for further replies.