• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

legit users screwed by xp activation hell :mad:

redwing26

Hi I would appreciate it if people would read my reply to a very good windows xp activation article as I would like to share my disgust from this day forth with microsoft and their utter disregard for their end users ....see my reply below ......Ive have covered the following below but I urge like minded users to think about what its like to be treated like you are

1. a thief
2. are extremely dumb and actually believe that xp activation actually benefits you and cannot see microsofts real motives ....however see below :)

article reply start---
Hi initially i must say that I think your article is very good ......and it shocked me to find the methods microsoft are using for the activation such as checking hardware configurations .......the minute I was read this I thought OMG what if i want to do some major upgrade on my machine and then offcourse I read the next few questions and find the article author obviously realised this as well.

Now to my situation.......I am passionate about PCs and I live in my house with my 2 parents who are pensioners ......anyway I was using windows millinium and I decided to buy a legitamate copy of xp pro oem for home use for myself and also put it on my parents machines , I assumed everything would be ok(silly me should have read the small print) and my computer with windows millinium on it was running fine so I decided to install xp pro on my fathers machine as it needed some maintenance after being running sometime ......anyway I installed it on my machine today and got the activation screen so I thought I would go through the process and it would be fine but to my utter disgust I only have a 30 day trial.......anyway one of my parents phoned up the support line while I got my installation id and he explained to them that theres just the 3 off us in the house and were all home users with no bussiness and the persons attitude was terrible .......they basically tried to say that it was for the benefit of customers(ME and others like me :) )and to help prevent piracy .....hmm kind of stupid considering we explained we have a legitamate copy......I then took the phone and became extremely angry ........basically microsofts solution is for people who are in low paid jobs or unemployed to purchase 1 copy per machine .......hence I was expected to buy 3 copys (HOW RIDICULOUS) which would total approximately £255 ....... At the end of the day we are a family who are FAR from rich as implied we dont get lots of cash; we all chip in together to make ends meet and it is unrealistic to expect anyone other than the extreme rich or software pirates to be able to use microsoft windows......the ironic thing is I have in the past said to people that microsoft isnt that bad.......that is until they have brought out this activation crap whos only purpose is to line the pockets of the microsoft directors. I personally will be more motivated to port to a linux flavour now and I also feel that it is about time users started boycotting the companies that quite frankly are treating users like thieves who are also severely dumb. One final thing .......I realise I made a mistake purchasing the oem version but the standard version was way out of my price range and is not worth the hefty price tag.........a more potent issue than that is the fact that microsoft are checking a systems spec and using it against legitamate users in a way that feels like spyware to me.

Regards
David

article reply end----

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Actually that is kinda rediculouse i would be so angry.....:mad:

aff1nity

It sounds like linux would be perfect for you =)

I understand your pain about this whole microsoft windows ordeal, but if your parents don't do any kind of gaming or 3d design or any of that sort of thing that runs mostly on windows (which I suspect they don't) I can imagine working fine. Have you heard of ubuntu? Not only is it free, but it's also much easier to use than most linux distributions (still has a slight learning curve) but is based on Debian (and is very stable!) You also don't have to worry about your parents going off to some random site or link and getting infected with a virus.

Best of all it's free and the software included is actually fairly high quality. (OpenOffice... etc)

Not all is lost =) You can use one system for the programs that require windows and just have the other systems running linux (ubuntu or mandriva.)

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
^ well put exellent infact! :D A++

Polaris573

Senior Moderator
Processor LGA 775 Intel Q9550 2.8 Ghz
Motherboard MSI P7N Diamond - 780i Chipset
Cooling Arctic Freezer
Memory 6GB G.Skill DDRII 800 4-4-3-5
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB PCI-E
Storage 1 TB Seagate 32MB Cache, 250 GB Seagate 16MB Cache
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Coolermaster Centurion 5
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 600 Watt
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I can see it now...

Buy your copy of Windows Freedom version today! With new, imporved security protocols that log every action on your PC to provide maximum security and ease of use* to you, the end-user!

*Windows Freedom® runs best on Microsoft© hardware.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Polaris573 said:
I can see it now...

Buy your copy of Windows Freedom version today! With new, imporved security protocols that log every action on your PC to provide maximum security and ease of use* to you, the end-user!

:laugh: :roll:

System Name Monolith
Processor Intel Xeon E3110 Wolfdale@3.5GHz
Motherboard MSI P35-Neo
Cooling Active Air
Memory 4GB DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 3850 512MB PCI-E
Storage 1 x 80GB Internal, 1 x 250GB Internal, 1 x 40GB External
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Generic black case with locking front bezel
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
Power Supply 500 Watt Seasonic M12
Polaris573 said:
I can see it now...

*Cough... Patriot Act.

wazzledoozle

Processor X2 3800+ @ 2.3 GHz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty SLI-DR
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9500 LED
Memory 2x1 Gb OCZ Plat. @ 3-3-2-8-1t 460 MHz
Video Card(s) HIS IceQ 4670 512Mb
Storage 640Gb & 160Gb western digital sata drives
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen LCD w/ DVI 5ms
Case Thermaltake Soprano
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 softmod@Audigy 4, Logitech X-530 5:1
Power Supply Coolermaster eXtreme Power Plus 500w
Software XP Pro
There are ways around activation.

In the time it took you to write all this, a simple google search could solve your problems.

But I wont stop you, go on, keep bitching.

And I second Ubuntu for ordinary tasks. You could even set it up to boot off a cd so nothing can get messed up.

System Name Monolith
Motherboard MSI P35-Neo
Cooling Active Air
Memory 4GB DDR2 800
Display(s) Acer X203w
I would have to agree, in part, to wazz's reply. There are many ways to get around Windows activation; I would say that they are technically legal too. You have already purchased the program, you are not making any illegal copies, editing any code or distributing the product for profit or otherwise. You would have fooled a the annoying "feature" which supposedly protects you and is for your benefit. I feel its no different than not registering a game you have bought, just a little more evasive.

I have to disagree with your Unnesessarily harsh berating of redwing however. His post is in the correct location, he has not offended anyone with his thread, he has made perfectly clear what his problem is in a way that many of us can sympathize. He may not have been aware of ways to get around activation; it should not be assumed that he should be able to arrive to this conclusion on his own. I feel this site is primarily a tool to support, and share technological experiences; with a more human element than google offers. The purpose of this site would therefore be negated if we all went to google with our problems. This thread has, in additon, followed its correct form; An idea was proffered > it was discussed > and a solution was found. If it contained a human element in the original question, I feel that only enriches the experience offered by the website.

Last edited:

PaulC2K

Processor Pentium D 2.66ghz 775 @ 3.8ghz
Motherboard Asus P5WD2-E Premium
Cooling Zalman 9500, Akasa Amber case fans (2x 120mm, 3x 80mm)
Memory 2gb DDR2-800 Geil Ultra (2x 1gb)
Video Card(s) ATI X1900 XTX w/ Arctic Cooling Accelero X2
Storage 3x 200gb (2B raid5'd), 80gb & 250gb external
Display(s) Dual 19" Viewsonic LCD VX924 @ 2680x1024
Case Thermaltask Armor
Audio Device(s) SB X-Fi Fatal1ty Edition w/ Creative Labs Inspire T6060
Power Supply 600wt Enermax Noisetaker
Software XP Pro + SP2
Personally i think its a bit rich to expect Microsoft to be all friendly with someone who is effectively installing software onto machines which dont own a licence which allows them this privellage.
You get a CD and a licence for the installation onto 1 computer, thats microsofts view on things anyway, so to expect them to be fine with multiple installations per licence is too them as much of a joke as you expecting them to understand your financial circumstances.

Personally i understand your situation, I barely earn enough money just to cover CC repayments let alone to actually live a little, and it is a pain in the backside having to pay out for all those machines, with the exception of my current machine i've never installed a geniune OS since win98 (those before werent purchased by me, but were legit though) and had it not been for the fact that this machine came with the licence then that cycle wouldnt have ended either!
Personally i'd have said it might have just been easier to stick with WinME or something that once installed you were all set and didnt have anything to worry about.

p.s
3 computers in 1 house, and an extra $60 per licence sounds ridiculus to you?
Sell one and theres at least the licence fee for the other, are all 3 really used at the same time all that frequently??
not knocking you, just something to think about while your asking Microsoft to understand your situ.

Polaris573

Senior Moderator
Processor LGA 775 Intel Q9550 2.8 Ghz
Motherboard MSI P7N Diamond - 780i Chipset
Cooling Arctic Freezer
Memory 6GB G.Skill DDRII 800 4-4-3-5
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB PCI-E
Storage 1 TB Seagate 32MB Cache, 250 GB Seagate 16MB Cache
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Coolermaster Centurion 5
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 600 Watt
Why can't you put software that you own. On more than one computer that you own. I could understand if you weren't allowed to put it on a friends computer. It's like buying gas in a gas can and having the gas station tell you to pay for it again if you put it in more than one lawnmower.

PaulC2K

Processor Pentium D 2.66ghz 775 @ 3.8ghz
Motherboard Asus P5WD2-E Premium
Cooling Zalman 9500, Akasa Amber case fans (2x 120mm, 3x 80mm)
Memory 2gb DDR2-800 Geil Ultra (2x 1gb)
Video Card(s) ATI X1900 XTX w/ Arctic Cooling Accelero X2
Storage 3x 200gb (2B raid5'd), 80gb & 250gb external
Display(s) Dual 19" Viewsonic LCD VX924 @ 2680x1024
Case Thermaltask Armor
Audio Device(s) SB X-Fi Fatal1ty Edition w/ Creative Labs Inspire T6060
Power Supply 600wt Enermax Noisetaker
Software XP Pro + SP2
Then what about businesses?
Do they only need to pay for 1 licence for the machines they install something onto?

Im no fan of microsoft here, but its not like they're doing something terrible while all the others say sure, stick it on every machine you own wink wink.
Games say you have to have the disc in the drive to play, if you dont have a disc you cant play it, so they stop you from running it on multiple devices at the same time. Other software companies also forbid you from using purchased software on more than one machine, what these companys are selling you is the right to use there software, for life, for a year, whatever, but its the right to use that peice of software on a specific machine of your choice.
Norton use the 365 days method for there AV software so come the end of the year you either pay for another years licence or just buy the new version, but they're selling you a service of which your paying to use to the agreement of they're terms & conditions.

btw, im more than aware you can install the game elsewhere and still play it, but an OS or AV software isnt something you'd stop using so you could run it elsewhere, so they dont need a 1 machine policy, but having that CD/DVD proves at least you have a right to run that software to there terms.

This goes much further than MS really, there just an easy target because almost everyone runs there OS and cos frankly they're a bunch of greedy....... :(

DevilDriver

Processor Athlon 64 3400+
Motherboard DFI LanParty NF3 250GB
Cooling XP-90
Memory 2x512mb OCZ ELGold 2-2-2-5
Video Card(s) 6600GT
Storage 160G WesternDigital Caviar
Display(s) Envision 17"
Case Ultra Dragon Liquid Red
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster Audigy2 ZS
Power Supply 500W X-Connect
I have to agree with PaulC2K.
Its not like this is a new thing, or a hiden fact. Its the way its been since the release of xp. when you purchase any copy of xp other than a VLK version you have purchased the right to install the oc on one machine, and one machine only.
Do I agree with this policy? NO. but its the way it is :(
Read any EULA and you will see that you do not own the software you have purchased, but rather a licence to use the software under there terms.

System Name Monolith
Motherboard MSI P35-Neo
Cooling Active Air
Memory 4GB DDR2 800
Display(s) Acer X203w
I guess it comes down to, if you don't like the activation don't be a part of the problem and buy the liscense for additional computers. I'm sure Microsoft will put the additional Billions in profit to keeping Windows stable and IE secure :laugh: . Personally I don't think it would hurt Microsoft's sales if the uped the amount of computers you could install your purchased copy of windows on to 3. It would be and excellent public relations gesture since most people have about 2-3 computers, and it is unrealistic to think the majority of global citizens can afford to pay the equivalent $268 for the an OEM 3 pack of Windows XP HOME. Or the $438 OEM 3 Pack of XP Pro. Lets face it, the only reason they can charge so much is because they have a virtual monoply for the IBM Compatable PC market. Yes I know there are alternative OSs, but if you want to use most main stream apps, you are still stuck with Windows.

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
nice plan really.. windows must be the most pirated piece of software on ther planet.. has been for years.. microsoft could be considered to be one of the riches and most monopolistically powerfull companies on the planet..

kinda put the two together and it kinda suggests "permitted" piracy kinda helped MS become what it is today.. the really clever bit is now we are all dependant on windows (and we are really) they somehow manage to make all the (dependant) users actually pay rip off prices for it..

or more accurately pay to use it.. one copy (payment) per machine of course.. he he

trog

Last edited:

redwing26

Hi folks thanks for your replys .............and I appreciate peoples honest opinions , Im actually in the process of installing gentoo although ubuntu seems like it would be good so I may go with that. Also Im glad that in general the users of the forum saw my post for what it is, which is to highlight my experience in the hope that other users in a similiar situation may avoid the traps that I have fallen into and also to highlight(argubly) how quite a large number of home users and others feel.

I cant go back to the site where I initially started the thread basically because I felt that there were some provocative comments and I didnt want the site where the initial article was to descend into a flame war; I took quite a bit of flak on this site (which is to be expected I guess) for stating a valid opinion.......however if your interested here is the link

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1137816876

Im going to start a thread about ubunto its just I installed gentoo ....I have an ati radeon 128 and my display is corrupted and also my internet doesnt work after install even though i read the docs (i will learn eventually i guess :) ) , I also intend to install wine to try and get my windows games working

Some really good views and common sense ideas on this forum :)

Regards
David:)

i dont know anyone who buys more than 1 copy of xp for more than 1 machine, except for businesses and corporations.... thats all im saying.

aff1nity

Oooh... gentoo? Even though I haven't tried that, I heard it's a harder linux OS to start with, since it involves much more initial customization than mandriva or ubuntu, which both have easier install processes (I'm pretty sure) But good luck!

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
^ ya i whanted to try Gentoo sooo bad i have the distro but i tried to install it once and was like....bout that...restart.

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
they tried this kinda stuff when XP first got announced.. bad press got em to loosen things off a bit.. most folks get their copy of windows when they get there new computer and that is only intended to be used on the machine it came installed with..

the current thing anti-piracy wise is the new authenification software that gets installed as soon as u attempt to update anything.. security updates still work but nothing else will if the mothership dosnt like your system/key combination..

combine the authenification software with auto updates and MS have acces to your machine anytime they like.. in theory they could just switch it off if they thought u were running a pirate version of windows.. perhaps thats the next step... he he he

trog

System Name Monolith
Motherboard MSI P35-Neo
Cooling Active Air
Memory 4GB DDR2 800
Display(s) Acer X203w
In my opinion corportate invasion of personal privacy is almost as bad as the government doing it.

Last edited:
System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
aff1nity said:
Oooh... gentoo? Even though I haven't tried that, I heard it's a harder linux OS to start with, since it involves much more initial customization than mandriva or ubuntu, which both have easier install processes (I'm pretty sure) But good luck!

If your wanting to learn, dont try gentoo... ;)

Id say ubuntu, or maybe mandriva...

AMDCam

Processor AMD Opteron 148 at (hope) 3.0ghz
Motherboard MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum with Nforce 3 Ultra
Cooling XP-90C (CPU), A400 (Graphics), 8 case fans, 92mm Tornado
Memory 2gb OCZ Gold DDR500 dual-channel
Video Card(s) Leadtek 6800GT near UEE speed (448core/1.18memory)
Storage 2x 80gb WD 7,200rpm 8mb cache Caviar SATA 150 in RAID 0
Display(s) (2 soon) Samsung Syncmaster 172N 17" LCD
Case Atrix black case with A LOT of mods
Audio Device(s) Motherboard
Power Supply Aspire 520w tri-fan blue LEDs
Software Windows XP Home, Office 2003 Professional Edition
Oh thermo, I hope you don't mean that. The good thing is you're american so you have the right to insult us, but that probably means you're a democrat too. I'm not gonna hijack the thread and turn this political, but blatent insults to our government just pisses me off. Sorry

mex

Well I have to say I have read through all of your comments and there is a lot of controversy and defiantly two ends to this issue.

The Bottom line for Microsoft is the more copies of an OS they push people into buying the more money they are going to make. I am sure that some of that money is going to go back into research and design and keep technology evolving. However, they run the company to be successful and make money which is what they are doing.

But on the other hand there are people that can’t even afford to buy a single copy of a Microsoft OS and that means they are forced to break the law. And that to me is outrages! This is especially true when Microsoft actually Give free software to secondary schools including Microsoft’s full range so that young people will become familiarized with Microsoft products and therefore more likely to buy MS in the future! That’s great if you can afford it but what have MS done if you can’t?

I own legitimate copies for all my computers but that’s because I don’t want to support any black market for this type of thing. But if Microsoft don’t start doing something soon they will be equally responsible for supporting fraud by making there home used software unaffordable to everyone! There must be a compromise.

I would like to see MS to be a little more forgiving with there OS and perhaps increase there licensing to at least 3 computers per copy of Home edition or lowering the cost of a basic version so everyone can enjoy it. Let’s face it without Microsoft where would we be But they must be reasonable!!

Processor AMD 5800x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Water Loop
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z neo
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4 NVMEs / SSDs
Display(s) 27" AOC AG271QX
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolve
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster AE-7
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750
Software Windows 10
I got caught up on activation on the weekend... I changed hardware more than 3 times on my main system, so it wouldn't activate. Personally, I think that's very wrong. You bought the OS; it's retarded that they limit you on how many time you can change hardware and still install the OS!

-Dan