• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

legit users screwed by xp activation hell :mad:

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
"I own legitimate copies for all my computers but that’s because I don’t want to support any black market for this type of thing."

it has been said that the black economy is the oil that enables the gears of the legitimate economy to keep turning.. or in my own words that the two are part of a "whole" and one cannot exist without the other..

before any piece of software becomes the "norm" it has to be either given away free (winzip was good example of this) or be kinda carelessly left laying around so that folks can steal it.. he he he..

if the only way u could listen to music was to pay ten dollars for a CD.. folks would find other ways to pass their time.. the entire music industry would not exist.. if the only way u could fill up your 20 gig ipod was to pay $10.000 to legitimately download mps another industry would not exist..

a lot of folks might dissagree.. but the entire mass market (cheap) PC industry would not exist without software piracy.. what folks seem to forget is that to make one of those (cheap) $500 PCs do anything usefull it has to be loaded with software.. we are back to the ipod situation here..

either way the anti-piracy lobbies statement that each pirate copy equals a lost payment in revenue is total utter rubbish..

the truth.. some kind of weird symbiotic relationship exsists between legit and none legit.. things aint quite as simple as they seem..

one thing is clear human being are "gatherers" by nature.. if u dont have some effective means of preventing other "gatherers" from "gathering" what u claim to be yours.. there aint much point in claiming ownership.. with things of a digital nature.. that effective means dosnt exist and i cant see how it ever will..

trog

Last edited:
System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
djbbenn said:
I got caught up on activation on the weekend... I changed hardware more than 3 times on my main system, so it wouldn't activate. Personally, I think that's very wrong. You bought the OS; it's retarded that they limit you on how many time you can change hardware and still install the OS!

-Dan

You're not actually limited.. it just reacts once you change a large portion. ;) Its perfectly legal to reactivate it if you swap some parts... as its still a single computer, which is well within the license agreement.. :)

Processor AMD 5800x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Water Loop
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z neo
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4 NVMEs / SSDs
Display(s) 27" AOC AG271QX
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolve
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster AE-7
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750
Software Windows 10
Well all I know it wouldn't activate... doesn't matter now though.

-Dan

tony929292

Processor intel q9450 at 3100 artic silver5 tt big typoon
Motherboard asus p5n32e-sli plus
Cooling 13 fans total that includes heatsink fans etc
Memory 4 gb ocz gold pc5400 oc to 775 2.1 voltage 4-4-3-4
Video Card(s) 1 bfg7800gtoc oc to 510/1800 at 1.5v valmans fatal1ty 36c idle
Storage 2 80gb wd raptors raid-0 , 1 seagate barracuda 160gb
Display(s) sony sdm-hs53 + fan controller 3.5 internal card reader and 1 internal floopy
Case Logisys Dracula Case blue
Audio Device(s) x-fi fatal1ty
Power Supply aspire 680watts sli
Software vista unltimate x86
when my bother bulit his computer he used a copy of a dell oem xp home had to phone in the actavtion told them that he just purchsed a new hard drive and they give him the activtion code he didnt reuse 1 thing from the dell (besides the xp cd)

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
damn. I tried to use the dell oem cd on mine, and i got an error message saying something along the lines of 'this xp installation disk can only be used on a dell pc'...

.. So i used the cd off my old blown-up laptop! :laugh:

Jimmy 2004

System Name Jimmy 2004's PC
Processor S754 AMD Athlon64 3200+ @ 2640MHz
Motherboard ASUS K8N
Cooling AC Freezer 64 Pro + Zalman VF1000 + 5x120mm Antec TriCool Case Fans
Memory 1GB Kingston PC3200 (2x512MB)
Video Card(s) Saphire 256MB X800 GTO @ 450MHz/560MHz (Core/Memory)
Storage 500GB Western Digital SATA II + 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA
Display(s) Digimate 17" TFT (1280x1024)
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Audigy 4 + Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speakers
Power Supply Corsair HX520W
Software Windows XP Home
In my opinion, if you want a pirated copy of windows, use one. Microsoft's main aim is for profit, and their economists and managers have decided that having the price of windows as it is will get them the most money... every business works like that.

mex

Well you should all get two activations per full copy of XP except for the Copies with dell.

If when you first install windows XP you should only select Activate Now and not to register.

If you were to phone up and tell them your dilemma and that in your Knowledge this software is only installed on one computer they will be happy to read you another activation code.

However, if when you go though a validation period because you are trying to use windows updates from two different hardware configs you will be refused the updates.

A little tip though, and I guess I shouldn’t say this but people who cant afford any valid activation codes could very easily go to Dixon’s or PC world and read of the side of one of there brand new pre installed windows xp machines and use that. Because it can be activated twice the person who buys the computer won’t even know the difference.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Wow.

What a bunch of tight asses.

1) Good can exist without bad.
2) You are paying for a piece of software that took many hundreds of thousands of man hours to write. I know, as I was doing beta testing on XP. In return I got some gifts.
3) Three computers? Too poor to buy a copy of XP $90 but enough to have a few compys sitting around. Nice. Imagine you have three cars, and you go buy a new paint job for one, ONE mind you. Since you like that paint so much, you want to have your other two cars painted the same. The paint is already in use one one car, but you want it on three. Get the idea?
4) Linux. It is free. Almost any version. Want one? Download it. Install that on as many computers as you want.
5) One liceanse per machine. Pretty clear. Or mebey you could lie, or steal, or cheat to get one. Just shows what kind of person you are.
6) This one is great. You DON'T have to buy the OS. Really, no one is going to shoot you if you don't.
7) Use what you have. No spider solitare on them? You can download it from sites. I swear. Or is the pretty XP look on your machines that you desired? Or perhaps to sell them?

The fact of the matter is. you bought one copy for use on one machine. It isn't gasoline, it isn't water. It's software. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

System Name Monolith
Processor Intel Xeon E3110 Wolfdale@3.5GHz
Motherboard MSI P35-Neo
Cooling Active Air
Memory 4GB DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 3850 512MB PCI-E
Storage 1 x 80GB Internal, 1 x 250GB Internal, 1 x 40GB External
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Generic black case with locking front bezel
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
Power Supply 500 Watt Seasonic M12
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
AMDCam said:
Oh thermo, I hope you don't mean that. The good thing is you're american so you have the right to insult us, but that probably means you're a democrat too. I'm not gonna hijack the thread and turn this political, but blatent insults to our government just pisses me off. Sorry

We've butted heads on this issue before AMD, I see no reason to do it again :) .
Please review this thread for my counter argument http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=5579&page=5.

it has been said that the black economy is the oil that enables the gears of the legitimate economy to keep turning.. or in my own words that the two are part of a "whole" and one cannot exist without the other..

I like Trog100's very eastern philosphy here. I just thought I would point out your allusion to the Taoist philosphy of Yin and Yang we are all familiar with.

You can not justify a monopoly, it is self perpetuating, controlling and inherently destructive to free interprise and the economy. I get bleak satisfaction in the idea that eventually Microsoft will fall from grace. If Linux can survive for free, then Windows can be had for a reasonable price.

Last edited:
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Thermopylae_480 said:
I like Trog100's very eastern philosphy here. I just thought I would point out your allusion to the Taoist philosphy of Yin and Yang we are all familiar with.

You can not justify a monopoly, it is self perpetuating, controlling and inherently destructive to free interprise and the economy. I get bleak satisfaction in the idea that eventually Microsoft will fall from grace. If Linux can survive for free, then Windows can be had for a reasonable price.

Of corse that is the great thinking of opium smokers and people who drank from leaden vessels. Today such people end up in homes. How disturbing that it must be that our greatest thinkers are in mental homes.:rolleyes:

The facts are simply MS was the first on the scene with a better product for the average user and is still on the scene for that same average user. If that doesn't float your boat, there are many others.

System Name Monolith
Motherboard MSI P35-Neo
Cooling Active Air
Memory 4GB DDR2 800
Display(s) Acer X203w
The opiate trade was not initiated until the 1800's when Britain introduced it as a way to correct a trade imbalance with China. A sad footnote in British history. The idea to say the great chineese thinkers were opiate addicts is perpostorous. China flourished and was many times more advanced than the west for thousands of years.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Would you be offended if I laughed at that statement?

"Opium

Domesticated in the eastern Mediterranean in ancient times, opium is one of the most venerable drugs in formal and folk pharmacopoeia. Opium's healing properties were detailed in the works of Hippocrates (466-377 BC) and the Roman physician Galen (130-200 AD.) Spreading across the Asian land mass, opium was described as an effective drug in China's Herbalist Treasure of 973 AD."

http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Philosophy/Taichi/taoism.html

tony929292

Processor intel q9450 at 3100 artic silver5 tt big typoon
Motherboard asus p5n32e-sli plus
Cooling 13 fans total that includes heatsink fans etc
Memory 4 gb ocz gold pc5400 oc to 775 2.1 voltage 4-4-3-4
Video Card(s) 1 bfg7800gtoc oc to 510/1800 at 1.5v valmans fatal1ty 36c idle
Storage 2 80gb wd raptors raid-0 , 1 seagate barracuda 160gb
Display(s) sony sdm-hs53 + fan controller 3.5 internal card reader and 1 internal floopy
Case Logisys Dracula Case blue
Audio Device(s) x-fi fatal1ty
Power Supply aspire 680watts sli
Software vista unltimate x86
i dont know about the rest of u but i like # 5
5) One liceanse per machine. Pretty clear. Or mebey you could lie, or steal, or cheat to get one. Just shows what kind of person you are.

i do lie steal and cheat and i am proud of who i am
if you ran you mouth like that were i live you would be one of thoses people who get there ass beat all the time
but i also could have took a copy from anthor computer but i didnt i payed for both xp home and pro 64 and i feel like i got ripped of on the crappyness of 64 but i cant return that any way that anthor story

but when it comes to stuck up people like you it makes me wish i did steal it
and if i could reuse the paint on my car for anything esle i need to paint i would and you

and yea i have 3 computers all top of the line and yes i have the money to buy 3 versions of xp but way the fuck would i do that (it f-in stupid)
but you dont fuck anyone over do u you have never download copyrighted music park in a fire zone or throw some trash out your window going down the highway

btw s m d
9 duce b###h

AMDCam

Processor AMD Opteron 148 at (hope) 3.0ghz
Motherboard MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum with Nforce 3 Ultra
Cooling XP-90C (CPU), A400 (Graphics), 8 case fans, 92mm Tornado
Memory 2gb OCZ Gold DDR500 dual-channel
Video Card(s) Leadtek 6800GT near UEE speed (448core/1.18memory)
Storage 2x 80gb WD 7,200rpm 8mb cache Caviar SATA 150 in RAID 0
Display(s) (2 soon) Samsung Syncmaster 172N 17" LCD
Case Atrix black case with A LOT of mods
Audio Device(s) Motherboard
Power Supply Aspire 520w tri-fan blue LEDs
Software Windows XP Home, Office 2003 Professional Edition
Well I do have the right to talk Thermo, I am doing something for my country (USMC). I just don't like uninformed democrats, I don't care who says America sucks, it's just the republicans don't insult and complain as much, so the democrats are heard a lot more. Sorry, it's done, no more subject with this

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
tony929292 said:
i dont know about the rest of u but i like # 5

i do lie steal and cheat and i am proud of who i am
if you ran you mouth like that were i live you would be one of thoses people who get there ass beat all the time
but i also could have took a copy from anthor computer but i didnt i payed for both xp home and pro 64 and i feel like i got ripped of on the crappyness of 64 but i cant return that any way that anthor story

but when it comes to stuck up people like you it makes me wish i did steal it
and if i could reuse the paint on my car for anything esle i need to paint i would and you

and yea i have 3 computers all top of the line and yes i have the money to buy 3 versions of xp but way the fuck would i do that (it f-in stupid)
but you dont fuck anyone over do u you have never download copyrighted music park in a fire zone or throw some trash out your window going down the highway

btw s m d
9 duce b###h

:eek: :laugh:

Its that exact thinking that sets humankind back 100 years. Great observation on me being stuck up. I simply stated if you want that sort of label, go for it. And you for example want it. A guy I work with used to have that attitude. He was in for 20 years for stealing cars, drugs, assault, armed robbery, etc... He wasted years of his life trying to prove what he was and threating others to get ahead, when a simple bit of logic and understanding was all that was needed.

Do I download music? Yep. From MSN.
Do I park in fire zones? Nope, not that many of them around here.
Do I litter? No reason.

Some things I do, as I am imprefect and will fail. But will I willingly go out of my way to do wrong? Nah, doesn't get you anywhere.

As for kicking my ass, well, mebey.

wazzledoozle

Processor X2 3800+ @ 2.3 GHz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty SLI-DR
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9500 LED
Memory 2x1 Gb OCZ Plat. @ 3-3-2-8-1t 460 MHz
Video Card(s) HIS IceQ 4670 512Mb
Storage 640Gb & 160Gb western digital sata drives
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen LCD w/ DVI 5ms
Case Thermaltake Soprano
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 softmod@Audigy 4, Logitech X-530 5:1
Power Supply Coolermaster eXtreme Power Plus 500w
Software XP Pro
Oh god. This thread has certainly exploded.

mex

Tony and Stevo this Forum is not about who I more Macho!

This is a discussion about the Price and future of MS.

You are missing the point Tony, There are in my opinion people in this world that being left out for the simple fact is that they can’t afford the products.

Now I agree they can go and just find a cheaper option but don’t you think that is a little unfair that some people can’t even afford to purchase an operating system for there computer. I believe that everyone should be aloud on the same level without having to break the law to get there.

And lets face it the reasons why these activations have to be set by MS is because there were too many people who were abusing the single licence.

Well if anyone has heard but Bill Gates has some scary ideas about what he want to-do with Windows and all his software.
If he gets it his way we will all have to connect to his servers to run Windows and to buy software will only be compatible when purchased from him.

Dribbled on for long enough, just one Tip though if you are going to change your Hardware then there are 2 patches you can use and a registry adapter that will enable you to change your hardware and not need to reinstall windows. Just like good old Windows 95.

Processor AMD 5800x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Water Loop
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z neo
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4 NVMEs / SSDs
Display(s) 27" AOC AG271QX
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolve
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster AE-7
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750
Software Windows 10
This isn't getting personal now is it? Because if it is, you can take it else where.

And some of you should lay off the language on the forums. There is no need for it.

-Dan

System Name Monolith
Motherboard MSI P35-Neo
Cooling Active Air
Memory 4GB DDR2 800
Display(s) Acer X203w
Steevo said:
Would you be offended if I laughed at that statement?

"Opium

Domesticated in the eastern Mediterranean in ancient times, opium is one of the most venerable drugs in formal and folk pharmacopoeia. Opium's healing properties were detailed in the works of Hippocrates (466-377 BC) and the Roman physician Galen (130-200 AD.) Spreading across the Asian land mass, opium was described as an effective drug in China's Herbalist Treasure of 973 AD."

http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Philosophy/Taichi/taoism.html

My apologies. I wasn't writing a history essay and did not choose my words as carefully as I should of. I was specifically refering to the extreme opium addiction of China in the 1800s in order to clarify that the great Chineese philosophers were in all likely hood not addicted to opium. I realize opium as a medicinal form can be traced back to ancient China. Prior to the British introducing and marketing opium as a form of recreation, I feel opium has had a only a negligible impact on China history. When the Mongolian empire was at its height there may have been some use of opium as a recreational drug, since it was a major source of trade. I am fully aware of opiums origins and don't appreciate your "laugh" at my statment over a matter of semantics. I feel it would have been more proper for you to simply disagree and state why.

CYBERX1800XT

Processor AMD ATHLON 64(TOLEDO CORE4800)(SOCKET 939)DUAL-CORE W/1 MEG CACHE
Motherboard ASUS A8R-MVP(A.T.I. CROSSFIRE)
Cooling ALL STOCK
Memory 4x1 GIG STICKS OF OCZ PLATINUM 3200 DDR MEMORY
Video Card(s) A.T.I. RADEON X1800XT & X850XT(P.E.) BOLTH PCI-E
Storage 2 MAXTOR DIAMONDMAX 10'S 250 GIG 10,000 RPM W/16 MB CACHE
Display(s) 21" SONY TRINITRON(16x12@120HZ)
Case NZXT(BLACK) MID-SIZE TOWER
Audio Device(s) AUDIGY X-FI & KLIPSCH DIGITAL DREAM SYSTEM 5.1
Power Supply ENERMAX 550 WATT P.S.U.
Software WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL W/SP2(FULL RETAIL EDITION)
Windows Xp Key??

so the general consensus is if i own a legimate purchased version of XP w/sp2(witch i do) and still have purchase reciept,,and i decide to buy a new motherboard,,or a new vid card,or any major changes to my system more than 3 times,,im forced to have to spend another 300.00 for another full operating system? i just bought one 3 days before christmas. a full edition of win_xp pro w/sp2,,and it was the full blue box retail edition. it was 299.99 at best buy. i have to spend another 300 bucks to buy another operating system for the same pc??? what in the heck?????? my goodness,,no wonder bill gates is worth over 55 billion dollars. so my posted question is i can't change hardware more than 3 times? or i cant change hardware at all?? all the posts on this issue seems a little construded. i think the best way is someone call micosoft and ask them. not totally depend on other's opinions.

mex

If you own a full copy then After the second time you intstall it just means you have to phone up for your activation key rather than read it from the box. Thats it. Simple! It gives you a free phone number to call when you go to activate.

Polaris573

Senior Moderator
Processor LGA 775 Intel Q9550 2.8 Ghz
Motherboard MSI P7N Diamond - 780i Chipset
Cooling Arctic Freezer
Memory 6GB G.Skill DDRII 800 4-4-3-5
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB PCI-E
Storage 1 TB Seagate 32MB Cache, 250 GB Seagate 16MB Cache
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Coolermaster Centurion 5
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 600 Watt
What's the difference between the OEM version and retail version. With OEM you get the same software at a significantly reduced price. Whats the advantage of the retail Package?

mex

There is no physical difference.

You can only buy OEM version of MS Software when you perchase a peice of hardware at the same time.

Oh and the OEM version does not come with a box.

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
mex said:
If you own a full copy then After the second time you intstall it just means you have to phone up for your activation key rather than read it from the box. Thats it. Simple! It gives you a free phone number to call when you go to activate.

Indeed. I have used it several times. you just tell the computer your key, it fails, it connects you to a human, you tell them you formatted and its oinstalled on only one pc and bam done he gives you a code.

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
They keep getting really suspicious with me, and i got quite angry with the person on the other end for treating me like a complete tard who had just stolen a disk from another pc.

I think the reason being is that i've lost the cd key for my retail disk, so am using the key off my dead laptop. So it's only being used on one computer anyway.

The whole system sucks though. One thing that really pisses me off though, is the last time i had to phone up to get the code, i was speaking to some indian person i couldn't understand, and i had to ask him to repeat himself 7 times to get the code right... I mean, ffs :banghead: