• We've upgraded our forums. Please post any issues/requests in this thread.

Lenovo Announces Official Opening of U.S. PC Manufacturing Line in N. Carolina

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name Long shelf-life potato
Processor Intel Core i7-4770K
Motherboard ASUS Z97-A
Cooling Xigmatek Aegir CPU Cooler
Memory 16GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3-1866
Video Card(s) 2x GeForce GTX 970 SLI
Storage ADATA SU800 512GB
Display(s) Samsung U28D590D 28-inch 4K
Case Cooler Master CM690 Window
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe
Power Supply Corsair HX850W
Mouse Razer Abyssus 2014
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4
Software Windows 10 Pro Creators Update
System Name Oh the name!
Processor i7 7700K
Motherboard MSI Z270 Xpower
Cooling EK 360 Extreme
Memory 16Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3866
Video Card(s) nVidia 1080 Ti Flanders Edition
Storage 1 Intel PCIE SSD750, 2 Sam 840Evo 1TB SSD, WD Black 2TB, Toshiba 3TB
Display(s) Acer Predator X1 (32")
Case Rajintek Paean
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX860
Mouse Mad Catz Pro X
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software W10Pro
Congratulations North Carolina! (as long as your people, the workforce, is treated better than in the Infamous Chinese Empire).
:nutkick:

I wonder how much this new factory cost the tax payers of NC and how many actual jobs will be created for U.S. citizens vs. imported folks from China?

Makes sense? They’ll import the components from China... then more often than not land them in the port of LA/Long Beach, Ca. Truck them across the country, assembly them, to finally truck like half of it back across the Rockies... You'd have to give them huge incentives to consider the economics. :ohwell:

Processor Intel Core i3-4370
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H
Cooling Zalman CNPS9500 AT
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GV-N75TOC-2GI GeForce GTX 750 Ti WindForce
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB SSD
Display(s) Acer G245HQ 23.6" LCD
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair CX600M
Mouse Logitech M500
Keyboard Lenovo KB1021 USB
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
It would be a lot easier to ship the parts to Wilmington, NC and truck them up I-40 to Whitsett.

I wonder why Lenovo didn't use the former Dell facility near High Point instead. :confused:

Let see there’s the Suez Canal… or all the way around the horn of Africa. Paying for passage through Panama Canal is getting better. I suppose lot of small tightly pack components and such it could be okay for most of what they’ll need. Other than ATX chassis, and those are less of come trend. Paying the extra $1,000 (it used to be like twice the price) and 2 week for containers would have merit for the volume they can build.
http://www.imsw.com/downloads/powerpoint/2012_Global_Logistics_Trends.pdf

That’s why they continue hope the world heats-up to open the Northwest Passage for you all, but by then would Wilmington, NC or many of the port we know today still be there?

System Name Halloween Boo!
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77-Up7
Cooling Custom Water/ Thermalchill TA 120.3/ Swiftech Apogeee XT/ MCP655/ Swiftech M icrores/ XSPC RX 240
Memory 16G G.Skill trident 2400MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x Radeon 7970
Storage OCZ Revo Drive 240G
Display(s) 24 inch Viewsonic
Case Phobia WayCoolIt Test Bench
Power Supply Nexus 1100 watt
I wonder how much this new factory cost the tax payers of NC and how many actual jobs will be created for U.S. citizens vs. imported folks from China?
Always a pessimist somewhere. If the deal was not right for both Lenovo and NC, it would not have happenned.

Let see there’s the Suez Canal… or all the way around the horn of Africa. Paying for passage through Panama Canal is getting better. I suppose lot of small tightly pack components and such it could be okay for most of what they’ll need. Other than ATX chassis, and those are less of come trend. Paying the extra $1,000 (it used to be like twice the price) and 2 week for containers would have merit for the volume they can build.
http://www.imsw.com/downloads/powerpoint/2012_Global_Logistics_Trends.pdf

That’s why they continue hope the world heats-up to open the Northwest Passage for you all, but by then would Wilmington, NC or many of the port we know today still be there?
Imports from China do not go through the Suez, Panama Canal or NW Passage. The manufacturing facility would undoubtably be for US distribution(don't know if they plan on shipping overseas from US). Containers from China are around $8000 now too BTW. Containers from US to other countries vary in price depending destination.

Last edited:
Imports from China do not go through the Suez, Panama Canal or NW Passage.
Ah, the two were sarcasm... But how do you not figure the Panama canal? Sure more is going through Port of Manzanillo, Mexico and up to Texas, but for expensive and desirable computer parts it's chancy move such containers by truck. Trains can be more secure but, can be more of a logistic set-back at the border and switching yards in Texas.

The manufacturing facility would undoubtably be for US distribution (don't know if they plan on shipping overseas from US).
I'm talking the component that they'd assemble... come from the Pacific Rim. And most of what they build would be for North America (inc Canada/ Mexico), while some might go to the Europe

Containers from China are around $8000 now too BTW.
Is that what it is landed on the East Seaboard? I know that like 2 year ago a standard GW container at LA/LB was like $3600-3800.