• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Lenovo Announces ThinkPad T431s Ultrabook

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Lenovo today announced its new ThinkPad, with design enhancements inspired by the results of an extensive global research project. The ThinkPad T431s is the thinnest T series ever featuring a sleek, innovative trackpad, enhanced keyboard and refined aesthetics.

"We obsess over the pursuit of perfection - as evidenced by more than 20 years of Lenovo ThinkPad design and engineering accolades. However, perfection cannot be achieved without a key ingredient: customer insight," said Dilip Bhatia, vice president and general manager, ThinkPad Business Unit. "The ThinkPad T431s is the first device featuring Lenovo's new design, which represents a comprehensive examination of user experience and input."

From research to design
Extending beyond traditional customer interaction, Lenovo conducted extensive research with NetGen, non-ThinkPad users and ThinkPad loyalists around the world, to gather detailed feedback on ThinkPad design. Over nine months and in multiple countries, researchers spent thousands of hours shadowing users in their homes, workplaces and remote locations, observing user behavior and asking questions. The results of this extensive research have directly contributed to the new refined design, which include technological enhancements and innovative upgrades including a new trackpad with click functionality and an incredibly thin display bezel.

ThinkPad gets new look
The results of Lenovo's research found that respondents prioritize simplicity and modern elements when it comes to their technology. Lenovo designed the new T431s with these priorities in mind to directly enrich the user experience:
  • Streamlined Interior: Lenovo updated the award-winning ThinkPad precision keyboard by improving key placement while maintaining shortcuts for a sleeker-looking keyboard, designing the display with a super thin bezel, and debuting a new Graphite Black color.
  • Enhanced trackpad experience: The new ThinkPad trackpad is an evolution of the TrackPoint and TouchPad featuring a new larger, smooth, responsive, multi-touch glass surface that optimizes Windows 8 gestures, click functionality, and integrates TrackPoint behavior to deliver a customized, improved experience for all users.
  • Thinness, Durability, Reliability: The ThinkPad T431s, the thinnest and lightest T series ever made and the first device incorporating the new design elements, weighs just 3.6 pounds (1.63kg) and measures only 0.82 inches (20.6mm) thin. The carbon fiber top cover and magnesium exterior continue ThinkPad's heritage of business-class rugged design and durability.
The T431s is powered by Intel 3rd generation Core processors with Turbo Boost, features improved Intel HD Graphics, up to 12 GB of memory and additional HDD and SSD storage options. The T431s has a 14-inch HD+ (1600 x 900) anti-glare display, two USB 3.0 ports for fast data transfer. The T431s is also available with Intel vPro for easy device management, supports ThinkPad docking, and provides enhanced security that commercial customers require.

Pricing and Availability
The ThinkPad T431s will be available in April starting at approximately $949.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Perhaps there is a legitimate reason why they are called "StinkPads"?

System Name ASUS ROG GL702
Processor Intel i7-7700HQ @ 2.8GHz
Memory 2x8GB DDR4-2133
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX1060M 6GB
Storage 2x250GB SSD
Display(s) 1080p
Audio Device(s) Xiaomi Piston 3 IEM
Mouse FinalMouse
Software Windows 10 64bit
I can't help but wonder who exactly they used for research. NBR forums has a 30 page thread on this very notebook and it's basically complaints about ruining the Thinkpad lineup and all the bad decisions gone into this notebook.

System Name Black Killing Machine
Processor Delidded NO IHS mount Intel i7-4770k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z87X-OC
Cooling Swiftech DIR655 pump, Watercool HEATKILLER® GPU-X³ 79X0 Ni-Bl gpu, DT SNIPER CPU block, UT60 420 RAD
Memory Gskill Trident 2400mhz CL9 Samsung IC9
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE HD7950 OC 950mhz Edition, VaporX HD7950
Storage 2xM4 Crucial 64GB RAID 0, 1 OCZ AGILILITY 3 60GB, WDCB 500GB x2RAID0, WD Green, Hitachi 1TB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 226BW and 24" 120hz BenQ gamer
Case SilverStone Raven rv-02
Audio Device(s) Audio Technica ATH-AD900 headphones, Topping D2 DAC/Headphone AMP
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 860
Software Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/sonda5/ Delidding is magic. http://valid.canardpc.com/2878462
I like ThinkPads and right away I can see that large trackpad and keyboard is going to upset many ThinkPad users.

System Name CUBE_NXT
Processor i9 12900K @ 5.0Ghz all P-cores with E-cores enabled
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master
Cooling EK AIO Elite Cooler w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Memory 64GB DDR5 @ 5600Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 3090Ti Ultra Hybrid Gaming w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Storage 1 x SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, 1 x 2TB, 1 x WD_BLACK SN850 2TB, 1 x WD_RED SN700 4TB
Display(s) Alienware AW3418DW
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 1000W Titanium
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Perhaps there is a legitimate reason why they are called "StinkPads"?

I have literally never heard them called that before and I question the intelligence of anyone who does.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
Thinkpads are great business style laptops. I have owned about 6 ranging from pentium 4 to AMD Athlon II to Intel I3 and they do what they are designed to do.

I have literally never heard them called that before and I question the intelligence of anyone who does.

I concur. It is pretty obvious that the poster in question has not owned a few of these excellent machines, or even used them in actual, serious corporate environments...where hundreds of machines have performed flawlessly for years! :shadedshu