• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Lenovo Joins Dell in Windows XP Professional Extension

malware

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 VID: 1.2125
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P rev.2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme + Noctua NF-S12 Fan
Memory 4x1 GB PQI DDR2 PC2-6400
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame Radeon HD 4890 1 GB GDDR5
Storage 2x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 32 MB RAID0
Display(s) BenQ G2400W 24-inch WideScreen LCD
Case Cooler Master COSMOS RC-1000 (sold), Cooler Master HAF-932 (delivered)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic + Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX
Power Supply Chieftec CFT-1000G-DF 1kW
Software Laptop: Lenovo 3000 N200 C2DT2310/3GB/120GB/GF7300/15.4"/Razer
After Dell it's now Lenovo's turn to join Microsoft's "downgrade" program and continue offering Windows XP Professional past the June 30 deadline. All customers with qualified Lenovo PCs that have Vista Business or Vista Ultimate versions can now purchase a Windows XP recovery CD until January 31, 2009. That's not the same approach used by Dell, but it's absolutely legit and will let users enjoy the good old Windows XP for quite a while. HP and Toshiba, are the other two companies that will likely take advantage of the downgrade rights provided by Microsoft.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

beyond_amusia

System Name Cozad (Asus G60JX)
Processor Core i5 M 430
Memory 8 GB DDR3 1066
Video Card(s) nVidia GeForce 360M
Storage 500GB
Display(s) 16 inch LED LCD
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
It's nice to see the OEMs doing what they can, but anyone who wants XP bad eough after June will turn to other means to obtain it.

I love XP, and will continue to use it. I "have" a copy of vista 64 ult installed. And thats just it, its installed. When I boot my pc up and use it for day to day, its xp all the way. I do use vista just for "exploring" it, and playing with it. But, for me. Vista, yes is good, and works for sure. But , its the small things that make it a annoying OS to use. thats why, for now, I use, xp. That just my opinion, please no crying and whining. Especially if your justifying your OEM installed Dell version of Vista home. :cry:

For OEM to continue using xp, i think its great. Please remember, we are not the only ones using these OS'S, companies and big entities alike are the MAIN REASON for sticking with xp. Most companies have there entire infrastructure built around XP, so yes, its VERY logical for them to continue using pc's with it. If its pre installed, even better. Saves thier IT guys the time of reimaging and licensing costs, aswell as its a good selling point.

the oems are flaming me...please delete this article:)

Please cease in your rather rude posts on this topic... I find it rather offensive that you are insensitive to many user's needs.

Think about businesses, they are the last people who would need a reduction in their productivity; time is money! Moreover, they would have to invest in a more powerful platform just to run Vista without major issues.

Think about us, the end users. All because you think vista is great because your system can run it, it doesn't mean the world shares the same opinion, a majority of people used it and just rejected the OS. Its sad to see such a reliable OS near its end life... (Then again, there are pirated copies :p.... )

Please cease in your rather rude posts on this topic... I find it rather offensive that you are insensitive to many user's needs.

Think about businesses, they are the last people who would need a reduction in their productivity; time is money! Moreover, they would have to invest in a more powerful platform just to run Vista without major issues.

Think about us, the end users. All because you think vista is great because your system can run it, it doesn't mean the world shares the same opinion, a majority of people used it and just rejected the OS. Its sad to see such a reliable OS near its end life... (Then again, there are pirated copies :p.... )

TOTALLY AGREED..read what I wrote above you ;)

im sorry to have offended anyone, most corporate builds i do are straight sms, the hardware is bought in bulk for cheap minus licencing because that was paid for when the soe was developed

im sorry to have offended anyone, most corporate builds i do are straight sms, the hardware is bought in bulk for cheap minus licencing because that was paid for when the soe was developed

The same for me. My company has an SMS package established on the network that the IT guys use to format down the vista machines that the employees here complain about back to xp. Like when a guy here gets his new T61 with vista preloaded. Then BAM his outlook plugin are "not compatible", then PSE security is not comaptible BAM. back to xp he goes.

there will always be teething problems,but i feel (my opinion,not fact) that the new infrastructure is superior especially software virtualization and security.

jbunch07

Processor i5-2500k
Motherboard ASRock z68 pro3-m
Cooling Corsair A70
Memory Kingston HyperX 8GB 2 x 4GB 1600mhz
Storage OCZ Agility3 60GB(boot) 2x320GB Raid0(storage)
Display(s) Samsung 24" 1920x1200
Case Custom
Power Supply PC Power and Cooling 750w
Software Win 7 x64
if this keeps up how can we ever expect to move on....?

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
It's nice to see the OEMs doing what they can, but anyone who wants XP bad eough after June will turn to other means to obtain it.

but what if we already have & have been all along? ;) *wink wink nudge nudge* well id say 0.05% of my xp is 'borrowed'

my CD is a genuine DELL OEM i'l say that much

Processor AMD Ryzen R7 3900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Asrock X570 Taichi
Cooling 2x LL140, 4x LL120 / bequiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengence RGB DDR4 (3600 Mhz)
Video Card(s) Red Devil 5700XT
Storage x1 Inland 1TB Nvme, 1x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, 1x WD 1TB, 1x Crucial MX500 500GB, 1x Sandisk X400 256GB
Display(s) Samsung C32H711
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 10 Pro
I love XP, and will continue to use it. I "have" a copy of vista 64 ult installed. And thats just it, its installed. When I boot my pc up and use it for day to day, its xp all the way. I do use vista just for "exploring" it, and playing with it. But, for me. Vista, yes is good, and works for sure. But , its the small things that make it a annoying OS to use. thats why, for now, I use, xp. That just my opinion, please no crying and whining. Especially if your justifying your OEM installed Dell version of Vista home. :cry:

For OEM to continue using xp, i think its great. Please remember, we are not the only ones using these OS'S, companies and big entities alike are the MAIN REASON for sticking with xp. Most companies have there entire infrastructure built around XP, so yes, its VERY logical for them to continue using pc's with it. If its pre installed, even better. Saves thier IT guys the time of reimaging and licensing costs, aswell as its a good selling point.
Well spoken:toast:.