• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

LG Announces Pricing and Availability of DualUp Monitor

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
LG Electronics USA announced pricing and availability of the new 28-inch LG DualUp Monitor (28MQ780), a first-of-its-kind display within the monitor market. It features a Nano IPS display with a unique 16:18 aspect ratio that frees up one's desk without giving up the screen space of a double monitor. LG's DualUp monitor is available for purchase now at LG.com and select LG-authorized dealers for a retail price of $699.

A CES 2022 Innovation Award winner, the LG DualUp Monitor is a product that revolutionizes the way creators and developers work, combining stacked dual monitors to create a single one. The innovative Square Double QHD (2,560 x 2,880) resolution monitor offers the same screen real estate as two 21.5-inch displays and has a vertical split view function that lets users see more in one glance, making it a multitasking powerhouse. It offers peerless picture quality, powerful performance, customizability, and most of all convenience.

The monitor's Nano IPS panel also enhances the visual experience for work and entertainment by making color expressions more accurate and richer. Users can enjoy HDR content on this monitor with the DCI-P3 98% color gamut that delivers detailed, accurate, and vibrant color expression. HDR delivers a more dramatic, dynamic, and immersive visual experience.

Boosting productivity, the LG DualUp Monitor elevates user comfort with the ultra-adjustable LG Ergo stand, which saves space as it clamps securely to most desks and tables. The Ergo Stand has evolved from the previous stand and includes enhanced tilting, swiveling, and extracting features. The wide range of positions it provides allows users to customize the height, angle, and depth of the monitor to the most ergonomic position for their body.

The DualUp supports USB Type-C with up to 90 W power delivery, allowing users to seamlessly connect to external devices, charge a laptop and more. Additionally, through its multiport for HDMI, DisplayPort and USB 3.0, users can connect multiple devices at once. The DualUp monitor supports 7Wx2ch stereo speakers with Waves MaxxAudio, delivering realistic sound effects and powerful audio. The speaker delivers massive bass that can boost the quality of what users watch, play, and create, and can maximize space usability for creators and developers.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

is it possible to use the entire viewable screen area for one input device, or is this 2 monitors stacked, where inputs for one show up on the bottom half, and inputs for the other device show up on the top, or is it both?

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
2560x1440 on a 21.5" is nasty. Why would you want two of those in a weirdo arrangement that doesn't really benefit from a zero-bezel solution anyway?

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
is it possible to use the entire viewable screen area for one input device, or is this 2 monitors stacked, where inputs for one show up on the bottom half, and inputs for the other device show up on the top, or is it both?
It's single input if you read the spec.
This might help.

2560x1440 on a 21.5" is nasty. Why would you want two of those in a weirdo arrangement that doesn't really benefit from a zero-bezel solution anyway?
Why is it nasty? I would think this is mostly used for text and graphs, those tend to scale well so resolution doesn't really matter. I see it as just a slightly wider vertical monitor. Almost a square. I don't think LG decided to just put this out into the world, they probably had requests from some company and just decided to release it out into the wild too.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Why is it nasty? I would think this is mostly used for text and graphs, those tend to scale well so resolution doesn't really matter. I see it as just a slightly wider vertical monitor. Almost a square. I don't think LG decided to just put this out into the world, they probably had requests from some company and just decided to release it out into the wild too.
Nasty because of non-integer scaling to get a usable DPI. You're going to be using 150% scaling, most likely which is the worst thing ever for content creators who deal primarily with raster graphics.

The press release and use-case for this monitor isn't a contiguous image like ultrawide is useful for gaming or 2.35:1 movie content, it's for devs and movie editors who don't care about the bezel and are probably more interested in being able to angle the top monitor down so that it doesn't catch the glare off the ceiling lights and also so that the viewing angle is better.

Nasty because of non-integer scaling to get a usable DPI. You're going to be using 150% scaling, most likely which is the worst thing ever for content creators who deal primarily with raster graphics.

The press release and use-case for this monitor isn't a contiguous image like ultrawide is useful for gaming or 2.35:1 movie content, it's for devs and movie editors who don't care about the bezel and are probably more interested in being able to angle the top monitor down so that it doesn't catch the glare off the ceiling lights and also so that the viewing angle is better.
Interesting that they market it like that. I thought they would be aiming mostly at the people who use vertical monitors. But I still believe that this panel is specially made for some weird use case and they're just re-using it here.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Interesting that they market it like that. I thought they would be aiming mostly at the people who use vertical monitors. But I still believe that this panel is specially made for some weird use case and they're just re-using it here.
People who use vertical monitors usually want the 16:9 aspect in portrait, because they're dealing with portrait documents or phone content that is somewhere between 9:16 and 1:2 usually.

Having an unusual aspect ratio is fine; It's not for me, and it's not for video editors or content creators in the real world (my admin desk in the main office is sandwiched between the graphics department and the visualisation department) but nobody's forcing me to buy it and more choice on the market can only be a good thing.

I suspect LG don't really know who it's best aimed at which is why they picked some ill-fitting examples for their marketing but there will be people somewhere who are willing to pay for a niche product like this. I would guess that these are salvaged slices from large-format displays that had too many dead pixels or defects at one side, perhaps. I'm not really 100% sure if that's how LCD panel manufacture works, or whether it's only possible to determine the defects after it's been cut from motherglass and wired up to a display controller - Maybe someone more knowledgeable can confirm or correct me.

Last edited:
System Name Uzuki Toune
Processor AMD RYZEN 7 7700X (ASUS PBO 90C Mode)
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X670E-E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Thermalright Frostspirit 140 White V3 ARGB
Memory 32GB DDR6000 CL36 Kingston (EXPO)(16GBx2)
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 1050TI
Storage 2TB Kingston KC3000 + 1TB Crucial P2 + 480GB Samsung Evo 850 + 480GB Kingston A400
Display(s) Dell U2723QE + Philips 221V8 (Portrait)
Case NZXT H510
Audio Device(s) Auzen X-FI Forte + Onboard Realtek 4080 -> Creative Gigaworks T40II
Power Supply EVGA G+ 650W
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3 (Work) & G103 (Play)
Keyboard iRocks K71M
Software Windows 11 Professional

It's single input if you read the spec.
This might help.
Mr lost being lost again. IF you read the spec, it has 4 inputs. 2 HDMI, 1 DP and 1 USB C. Also those same specs also say it supports PBP, which if you don't know your monitor/tv terms, stands for picture by picture. This means it supports displaying two separate sources side by side.

For this monitor, as I was curious about it too so I read the manual, here is a shot of the part of the manual that describes the PBP function. The left and right descriptor is confusing but the picture below it clearly shows top and bottom though.:
(source - click owner's manual on the right hand side: https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-28MQ780-B.AUS)

Attachments

• 1655412386934.png
    1655412386934.png
    154.5 KB · Views: 54
People who use vertical monitors usually want the 16:9 aspect in portrait, because they're dealing with portrait documents or phone content that is somewhere between 9:16 and 1:2 usually.

Having an unusual aspect ratio is fine; It's not for me, and it's not for video editors or content creators in the real world (my admin desk in the main office is sandwiched between the graphics department and the visualisation department) but nobody's forcing me to buy it and more choice on the market can only be a good thing.

I suspect LG don't really know who it's best aimed at which is why they picked some ill-fitting examples for their marketing but there will be people somewhere who are willing to pay for a niche product like this. I would guess that these are salvaged slices from large-format displays that had too many dead pixels or defects at one side, perhaps. I'm not really 100% sure if that's how LCD panel manufacture works, or whether it's only possible to determine the defects after it's been cut from motherglass and wired up to a display controller - Maybe someone more knowledgeable can confirm or correct me.
No we want 16x10 displays. :)

System Name Multiple desktop/server builds
Processor Desktops: 13900K, 5800X3D, 12900K | Servers: 2 x 3900X, 2 x 5950X, 3950X, 2950X, 8700K
Motherboard Z690 Apex, X570 Aorus Xtreme, Z690-I Strix
Cooling All watercooled
Memory DDR5-6400C32, DDR4-3600C14, DDR5-6000C36
Video Card(s) 4090 Gaming OC, 4090 TUF OC, 2 x 3090, 2 x 2080Ti, 1080Ti Gaming X EK, 2 x 1070, 2 x 1060
Storage dozens of TBs of SSDs, 112TB NAS, 140TB NAS
Display(s) Odyssey Neo G9, PG35VQ, P75QX-H1
Case Caselabs S8, Enthoo Elite, Meshlicious, Cerberus X, Cerberus, 2 x Velka 7, MM U2-UFO, Define C
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modius + SMSL SP200, Grace DAC + Drop THX AAA, Sony HT-A9, Nakamichi 9.2.4
Power Supply AX1200, Dark Power Pro 12 1500W
Mouse G Pro X Superlight Black + White
Keyboard Wooting 60HE, Moonlander
VR HMD Index, Oculus CV1
Great for productivity, but a little pricey.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Mr lost being lost again. IF you read the spec, it has 4 inputs. 2 HDMI, 1 DP and 1 USB C. Also those same specs also say it supports PBP, which if you don't know your monitor/tv terms, stands for picture by picture. This means it supports displaying two separate sources side by side.

For this monitor, as I was curious about it too so I read the manual, here is a shot of the part of the manual that describes the PBP function. The left and right descriptor is confusing but the picture below it clearly shows top and bottom though.:
(source - click owner's manual on the right hand side: https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-28MQ780-B.AUS)
I guess you didn't understand the question, but instead you berate people.
Good job :rolleyes:

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
That's really only an issue on Windows, on Linux or even Mac no problems with that.
1.5 pixels per pixel is bad when you work with raster content, period. It doesn't matter what OS you're using...

I agree that the OS UI itself also looks like garbage at 150% in Windows, but that's a different complaint altogether. Half of the graphics team edit video on a Mac and you simply do not want interpolation blur in the content you are working on, ever.

I know if you use any scaling some pop-ups and stuff look bad in Windows. Like they take a bitmap and then resize it. Why does scaling change anything when working with raster graphics? Do they just look a little soft with zoomed at 100%. I work with raster and vector graphics and it seems okay from that standpoint. I do hate the interface elements in Windows being goofy.

I mostly try to use the displays without any scaling, but I'm going to need reading glasses pretty soon. Even a 4K 32-in screen is a little on the two small side. And I was thinking of getting this display as a second portrait to replace my 30-in portrait, that is 16x10. I'd leave some heights, but it's still be taller than the 32-in 16x9. The 30-in 16x10 with the 256x1600 res really is a nice place to be without any scaling, but at the same time it would be nice to update the display and at the times I would like to fit some VMs on it better when I need to look at multiple at once for reference. I may get it. I'm not sure. It would make the two displays together a little too wide for my ergotron HD arm and I have an extension somewhere but I can't find it. Fun. Fun fun.

Last edited:
System Name Luna Rossa
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI B550I GAMING EDGE WIFI
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 2×16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3600MHz
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE
Storage Samsung SSD 990 Pro 4TB + Samsung SSD 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) BenQ PD3200U (32" 4K)
Case Sliger S620 (White)
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1800BT
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Pulsar Xlite V2 Wireless
Keyboard Gok 7V (White) + Gateron X + GMK MoDo Light
Software Windows 11 Pro
1.5 pixels per pixel is bad when you work with raster content, period. It doesn't matter what OS you're using...

I agree that the OS UI itself also looks like garbage at 150% in Windows, but that's a different complaint altogether. Half of the graphics team edit video on a Mac and you simply do not want interpolation blur in the content you are working on, ever.
You know you can use Windows with 150% scaling but the work you do on photoshop and similar software still uses 100% scaling, right?

And that you can set your browser of choice to also use a different scaling (100%, 200%, etc)?

And that most apps and a lot of websites already have specific bitmap resources for 150% scaling (or 200% scaled down), and even interfaces with .svg elements?

System Name ATHENA
Processor AMD 7950X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 7 x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC IP67 2000RPM
Memory 2x32GB Trident Z RGB 6000Mhz CL30
Video Card(s) ASUS 4090 Strix
Storage 3 x Kingston Fury 4TB, 4 x Samsung 870 QVO
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW, Wacom Cintiq Pro 15
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) Topping A90/D90 MQA, Fluid FPX7 Fader Pro, Beyerdynamic T1 G2, Beyerdynamic MMX300
Power Supply ASUS THOR 1600T
Mouse Xtrfy MZ1 - Zy' Rail, Logitech MX Vertical, Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 + OpenSUSE MicroOS
I'm tempted to use it in a horizontal layout over my 24:10 ultrawide.

The extra vertical height would be great for documents.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
I author and edit a lot of A4 portrait documents. This looks great. Would love to have better resolution though... reading an on-screen PDF is still far away from the quality/resolution of even the cheapest laser printer. We need moar rez

Another positive note: matte. Not glossy

I author and edit a lot of A4 portrait documents. This looks great. Would love to have better resolution though... reading an on-screen PDF is still far away from the quality/resolution of even the cheapest laser printer. We need moar rez

Another positive note: matte. Not glossy
It would also be good for crypto traders nowadays.

System Name Purple Haze | Vacuum Box
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D (-30 CO) | Intel® Xeon® E3-1241 v3
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H
Cooling Dark Rock 4 Pro, Arctic P14 & P12 case fans | 212 Evo & P12 PWM PST x2, Arctic P14 & P12 case fans
Memory 32GB Ballistix (Micron E 19nm) CL16 @3733MHz | 32GB HyperX Beast 2400MHz (XMP)
Video Card(s) AMD 6900XTXH ASRock OC Formula & Phanteks T30x3 | AMD 5700XT Sapphire Nitro+ & Arctic P12x2
Storage ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB, Toshiba P300 3TB x2 | Kingston A400 120GB, Fanxiang S500 Pro 256GB
Display(s) Mi 2K Gaming Monitor 27", AOC 24G2U
Case Modded MS Industrial Titan II Pro RGB | Heavily Modded Cooler Master Q500L
Audio Device(s) Audient iD14 MKII, Adam Audio T8Vs, Bloody M550, HiFiMan HE400se, Tascam TM-80
Power Supply Rosewill Capstone 1000M | Enermax Revolution X't 730W (both with P14 fans)
Mouse Logitech G305, Bloody A91, Amazon basics, Logitech M187
Keyboard Redragon K530, Bloody B930, Epomaker TH80 SE, BTC 9110
Software W10 LTSC 21H2
Opinions on getting 3 of these?
That would be awesome. :) As an alternative to ultra wide, which i don't like due to small height. Not sure how much of a support in games it would get though.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
Just bought one. (current pricing in DE circa EUR 600 delivered).

Shame it cannot run wireless screen mirroring, eg. ipad or laptop over wifi. Only has cable inputs, no wireless, no network.

So this thing is now set up my desk (very nice stand by the way), but I'm still waiting for the microHDMI to HDMI cables to be delivered before I can connect it to my laptop and turn it on!