• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

LG Display Said to Start Producing 27-Inch W-OLED Panels This Month

Dux

Can someone with hands on experience please tell me how much improvement is there in picture quality by going from IPS to OLED panel?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Can someone with hands on experience please tell me how much improvement is there in picture quality by going from IPS to OLED panel?

My God. You poor soul. You have no idea do you?

It is the difference between heaven and the light, and the darkness incarnate.

Go to Best Buy if you can, and look at the OLED displays... you will finally awaken to the glory of life itself

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Based on my laptop (Acer Swift 3 with a 14" 2880x1800 OLED display from Samsung), it's much better when it comes to blacks and HDR content looks more vivid.
I can't say it was the game changer I was expecting, but it's vastly superior to my old notebook display (old Thinkpad X250).
The downside is that it's a glossy display, so it's quite reflective, but I hope PC monitors won't be glossy.
I'd happy go OLED if the price is comparable to other types of screen technology, but it often isn't when we talk larger size displays.

There is no need to stop with the 27" monitors... that is my preferred size as I typically like the 3 monitor setup.

I disagree completely. What’s awful are 27” panels at 4K with microscopic icons and text. Then you get to deal with windows scaling and game interfaces looking terrible if you try to scale certain things.

27”, and anything below, at 4K is a bad experience imo. Larger panels up to 30-34” are fantastic for gaming and having enough screen real estate for photo/modeling work with a secondary monitor above or to the side.

I also don’t understand how consumers buying $800-$1400+ monitors end up not having room to accommodate a proper sized desk to fit such setups.

The 24”-27” range in the monitor market is so saturated already. Some competition in the larger monitor area would be wonderful because the prices in comparison are laughably bad.

System Name LMDESKTOPv2
Processor Intel i9 10850K
Motherboard ASRock Z590 PG Velocita
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 w/ Maintenance Kit
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600 CL18 2x16
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti FE
Storage Intel Optane 900p 280GB, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 2TB Team Vulkan SSD, 2TB Seagate HDD, 4TB Team MP34 SSD
Display(s) HP Omen 27q, HP 25er
Case Fractal Design Meshify C Steel Panel
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GSX 1000, Schiit Magni Heresy, Sennheiser HD560S
Power Supply Corsair HX850 V2
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legendary Edition
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2 (w/ BOBO VR battery strap)
Software Win 10 Professional
I disagree completely. What’s awful are 27” panels at 4K with microscopic icons and text. Then you get to deal with windows scaling and game interfaces looking terrible if you try to scale certain things.

27”, and anything below, at 4K is a bad experience imo. Larger panels up to 30-34” are fantastic for gaming and having enough screen real estate for photo/modeling work with a secondary monitor above or to the side.

I also don’t understand how consumers buying $800-$1400+ monitors end up not having room to accommodate a proper sized desk to fit such setups.

The 24”-27” range in the monitor market is so saturated already. Some competition in the larger monitor area would be wonderful because the prices in comparison are laughably bad.
Who said the panels would be 4K? I was hoping for 27" 1440p displays not 4K. 32" 4K while nice won't be as practical as a 3080 is really a 1440p card and anything much better than that is too expensive to be practical.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v

May I suggest investing in a pair of spectacles?
Been using 27" 4K displays for around six years now and I have had none of the issues you mention.
I've not spent over $570 for either monitor.

Who said the panels would be 4K? I was hoping for 27" 1440p displays not 4K. 32" 4K while nice won't be as practical as a 3080 is really a 1440p card and anything much better than that is too expensive to be practical.
Indeed, we have no idea about what kind of resolution the panel will have in this case. We're just going to have to wait and see.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Been using 27" 4K displays for around six years now and I have had none of the issues you mention.

Indeed, we have no idea about what kind of resolution the panel will have in this case. We're just going to have to wait and see.

I spent a little over $650, although it's a 40" monitor :). They be adding all kinds of crap in monitors soon so be the same crap you get with TV's.

There are plenty of CAD programs I use and have used that are not friendly to scale at high resolutions on such small monitors. There’s simply a comfortable PPI value that, without touching scaling for windows or program settings, allows for a better UI experience, and 27” 4K is not that experience.

It has far less to do with not being able to see, and I do have glasses, it’s just not all programs and games play nicely when messing with scaling. Making workflow unnecessarily frustrating or slow.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
I am proud owner of a FV43U and absolutely love it. My friend has an OLED has an OLED and I would say the blacks are about 10% deeper than my monitor. For me 32" is the perfect PPI for someone coming from a 27" 1440P panel but I had 32" until I got my current monitor.

Wide OLED upper-midrange monitors, please - 34 inch 5Kx2K/100 or 5Kx2K/120, with DisplayPort 2.0 both traditional and over usb-c and HDMI 2.1 FRL port at 48 Gbps.
LG already has 5K monitor, but it's 72Hz only. That one needs an upgrade.

OLED is NOT practical for computer use for daily hours of use due to static/fixed imagery, etc. regardless of the promises from crooked OEMs guarantees e.g. think task bar icons, etc. burn-in.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Based on my laptop (Acer Swift 3 with a 14" 2880x1800 OLED display from Samsung), it's much better when it comes to blacks and HDR content looks more vivid.
I can't say it was the game changer I was expecting, but it's vastly superior to my old notebook display (old Thinkpad X250).
The downside is that it's a glossy display, so it's quite reflective, but I hope PC monitors won't be glossy.
I'd happy go OLED if the price is comparable to other types of screen technology, but it often isn't when we talk larger size displays.

not all OLED is created equally, just fyi. my Samsung Galaxy phone is OLED, and while it is great, it doesn't compare to say a LG C1 OLED, which I have seen in person at a Costco in the past.

also, just using a laptop for work doesn't count either really, you really need a proper system or even just a PS5 or Xbox Series X and a proper 4K OLED tv in actual games to really appreciate it.

play a dark game like Limbo or Inside on your laptop and compare it side by side your monitor. I mean the immersion is enhanced a hundred fold.

also, those laptops don't have the best motion clarity, OLED is known for its clarity. you should be able to tell a different with the naked eye with a high end LG OLED panel and a laptop panel, the laptop panel is still superior to other panel types imo, same as my phone is superior to other phones that don't have OLED, but LG takes it to another level when it comes to TV's, and Samsung Display with the new Alienware OLED monitor, its just a different experience.

OLED is NOT practical for computer use for daily hours of use due to static/fixed imagery, etc. regardless of the promises from crooked OEMs guarantees e.g. think task bar icons, etc. burn-in.

Dell offers a 3 year return warranty for any burn in on their new OLED gaming panels, so I mean... who cares what you think when the warranty says there is no risk?

not all OLED is created equally, just fyi. my Samsung Galaxy phone is OLED, and while it is great, it doesn't compare to say a LG C1 OLED, which I have seen in person at a Costco in the past.

also, just using a laptop for work doesn't count either really, you really need a proper system or even just a PS5 or Xbox Series X and a proper 4K OLED tv in actual games to really appreciate it.

play a dark game like Limbo or Inside on your laptop and compare it side by side your monitor. I mean the immersion is enhanced a hundred fold.

also, those laptops don't have the best motion clarity, OLED is known for its clarity. you should be able to tell a different with the naked eye with a high end LG OLED panel and a laptop panel, the laptop panel is still superior to other panel types imo, same as my phone is superior to other phones that don't have OLED, but LG takes it to another level when it comes to TV's, and Samsung Display with the new Alienware OLED monitor, its just a different experience.

Dell offers a 3 year return warranty for any burn in on their new OLED gaming panels, so I mean... who cares what you think when the warranty says there is no risk?

Clearly, you haven't dealt with Dell's customer service (RMAs, etc.) recently, but... uhm... keep believing the gibberish. :laugh:

There are plenty of CAD programs I use and have used that are not friendly to scale at high resolutions on such small monitors. There’s simply a comfortable PPI value that, without touching scaling for windows or program settings, allows for a better UI experience, and 27” 4K is not that experience.

It has far less to do with not being able to see, and I do have glasses, it’s just not all programs and games play nicely when messing with scaling. Making workflow unnecessarily frustrating or slow.
I understand.
But the scaling issue is something that we'll have to deal with at some point.
iOS, Android and MacOS have had functional scaling for years... it's not rocket science.
So, demand it from software developers. I know it's easier said than done, but we can't just keep on using shitty low PPI screens forever.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Clearly, you haven't dealt with Dell's customer service (RMAs, etc.) recently, but... uhm... keep believing the gibberish. :laugh:

They wouldn't risk the backlash from people like GamersNexus who protect our community. I bet if there is burn-in they will honor it, they have new ways of stopping the burn in, mainly the ALienware monitor is very different than the LG tv's tech wise.

They wouldn't risk the backlash from people like GamersNexus who protect our community. I bet if there is burn-in they will honor it, they have new ways of stopping the burn in, mainly the ALienware monitor is very different than the LG tv's tech wise.
Just... STOP! You have clearly exposed your non-experience with Dell's support. That's not how ~ smooth ~ Dell work in REAL LIFE pass the noise. :shadedshu:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Just... STOP! You have clearly exposed your non-experience with Dell's support. That's not how ~ smooth ~ Dell work in REAL LIFE pass the noise. :shadedshu:

No you stop, you clearly don't understand the new tech that is in the Alienware monitor, and that is why Dell is so confident in offering that 3 year burn in warranty. I know monitor tech very well and was overclocking imported South Korean monitors when you were still in diapers.

No you stop, you clearly don't understand the new tech that is in the Alienware monitor, and that is why Dell is so confident in offering that 3 year burn in warranty. I know monitor tech very well and was overclocking imported South Korean monitors when you were still in diapers.

What?! What does your so-called monitor experience has to do with engaging with Dell's support team 1-on-1 personally?! Wtf?! :laugh:

Yeah... uhm... I'm just going to go waaAAaay over here. :kookoo:

I understand.
But the scaling issue is something that we'll have to deal with at some point.
iOS, Android and MacOS have had functional scaling for years... it's not rocket science.
So, demand it from software developers. I know it's easier said than done, but we can't just keep on using shitty low PPI screens forever.

There’s nothing low about 140 PPI from 30-36” away on a 32” 4K monitor. Arguably it’s much more comfortable than 164 PPI on a 27” 4K.

4k 32” is also a significant upgrade from 1440p 27”.

Ultimately it’s subjective, but 4K is more comfortable from a desktop viewing distance on 32” monitor taking into account gaming and any kind of software imo.

Hammering individual developers to cater to scaling for specific use cases will never happen.

I work in a light-controlled room, have a custom desk with ~1m depth and have used a 48" CX since day dot (~2 years) for productivity with spreadsheets, static toolbars etc. I have a black desktop wallpaper, auto-hide the taskbar and use a custom app which makes it behave like a monitor (does need a power-on from the remote when booting the PC though). I use it in calibrated SDR for work and switch to HDR for gaming or movies. I've used the service remote to disable ABL.

I would never go back to LCD, I have zero burn-in.

Edit: fun fact, having the deeper desk with such a large 'monitor' has vastly improved my eyesight, YMMV.

System Name Jedi Survivor Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus TUF B650M Plus Wifi
Cooling ThermalRight CPU Cooler
Memory G.Skill 32GB DDR5-5600 CL28
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 10GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 990 Pro SSD
Display(s) MSI 32" 4K OLED 240hz Monitor
Case Asus Prime AP201
Power Supply FSP 1000W Platinum PSU
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Asus Mechanical Keyboard
Would love a 32" 4k 240Hz OLED display.
That's the dream. I'm using the 42 inch right now, and it is useable and beautiful, a great product, but I still feel a little little bit too large.

Viewing angles are so good I can lie down and watch TV. HDR is INCREDIBLE compared to an LCD. The main issue for LG is after we all get our 32" 4k 240hz OLED displays, I don't think anything will improve for 10 years. LCD panels are doing this fake marketing thing every year where they don't really get better because they are fundamentally flawed tech. So people buy a new monitor over and over and never gets very good.

OLED is a step change.

There’s nothing low about 140 PPI from 30-36” away on a 32” 4K monitor. Arguably it’s much more comfortable than 164 PPI on a 27” 4K.

4k 32” is also a significant upgrade from 1440p 27”.

Ultimately it’s subjective, but 4K is more comfortable from a desktop viewing distance on 32” monitor taking into account gaming and any kind of software imo.

Hammering individual developers to cater to scaling for specific use cases will never happen.

MacOS has the worst scaling of all the operating systems. One of the main reasons I stopped using MacOS.

Burn-in has come a long way. It's much lees an issue that ever berore.

System Name Personal Gaming Rig
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Carbon
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 ICHILL FROSTBITE ULTRA
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Display(s) Samsung G8 OLED
Case Silverstone FT04
Wah
LG Finally listened

There’s nothing low about 140 PPI from 30-36” away
140 PPI at 30-36" distance is not enough to make the pixels fully indistinguishable.

Viewing-Distance-Range-for-Normal-Acuity-Medium.png

One way or another the developers are moving in that direction, it's not just a specific use case. Most people prefer to not have pixelated elements on their screens.
Anyway, many Windows apps already scale quite nicely, it's just a matter of time before others catch up.

140 PPI at 30-36" distance is not enough to make the pixels fully indistinguishable.

View attachment 264111

One way or another the developers are moving in that direction, it's not just a specific use case. Most people prefer to not have pixelated elements on their screens.
Anyway, many Windows apps already scale quite nicely, it's just a matter of time before others catch up.

You linked a graph that shows it is though, move the red bar up to 30”. The range becomes roughly 120 PPI to 195 PPI.

One piece of software/OS scaling will never be able to cover every single piece of software out there, it’s simply not realistic. There will always be bugs or exceptions, or bad developers/software engineers.