• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

LG Display Unveils Next-Generation OLED TV Display, the OLED EX

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
It does matter though, as varied content will excercise the pixels more evenly and the wear will be less noticable.
Varied content is key, in fact, if you watch a variety of normal TV, movies, fullscreen games etc., you have no reason to worry. Even pausing a movie or game, and even forgetting it and falling asleep is still not the problem for OLED.
But the key aspect of the varied content is that the overall brightness evens out, not how long each picture is shown on the screen.
If you watch a variety of content where one section of the screen is significantly brighter, you will get some extra unevenness over time. Whether the user watches this content in long sessions or in 5 second sessions is irrelevant.
But if you choose to show a slideshow of static pictures which overall balances out, even if you show each one for hours at the time, it will be no problem.
So care about the overall brightness of the content to be viewed, not whether pictures are static or not, get it?

For most buyers, this will not be a concern at all. OLED is much more tolerant to uneven wear than plasma ever was (even the last gen Panasonics), to the point that it's really just the extreme edge cases where OLED is a poor choice.
Examples includes;
- TVs showing mostly a single news/sports channel with a "fixed" layout.
- PC users with the majority of screen time with a bright web browser covering only parts of the screen.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Coming from a 600 nit peak, I'm guessing that much brightness hurts?

Not that it's used for more than like realistic momemtary explosions, but just curious. No brand war here, happy for you.
Peak for HDR is not meant to be sustained. There are actually two peaks defined: full-screen and local. Local is the higher one, as you can guess, and is what gets quoted most of the time.

When you go outside, you're routinely subjected to 10,000+ nits, so you're not so easily blinded. What makes high brightness uncomfortable for monitors is the short viewing distance and the long hours you spend looking at them.
Another aspect is the source material. If a movie is mastered for 1,000 nits, it will still look weird on a 2,000 nits monitor. Sadly, HDR in consumer space is only in its infancy. And the tech is behind. So it will take a while until thing s will settle down in this area.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Peak for HDR is not meant to be sustained. There are actually two peaks defined: full-screen and local. Local is the higher one, as you can guess, and is what gets quoted most of the time.
I'm aware of that.

Reactions: bug
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
For most buyers, this will not be a concern at all. OLED is much more tolerant to uneven wear than plasma ever was (even the last gen Panasonics), to the point that it's really just the extreme edge cases where OLED is a poor choice.
Examples includes;
- TVs showing mostly a single news/sports channel with a "fixed" layout.
- PC users with the majority of screen time with a bright web browser covering only parts of the screen.

The latter is something I certainly do, as in right as we speak.

OLED is great, but I didn't want a display I had to babysit.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Neat, I guess, but where do I get it? Netflix still has the original, afaik. (I was actually done with The Hobbit last night, gonna watch LotR again next.)

they only come in 4k blu ray discs off Amazon or walmart. shipped and sold by respective companies of course.

but yeah the LOTR 4k blu ray remasters sold out for a couple months when they first launched, they are highly rated, they went scene by scene enhancing each frame. from the reviews I read on it its the best remaster ever done.

Reactions: bug

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
they only come in 4k blu ray discs off Amazon or walmart. shipped and sold by respective companies of course.

but yeah the LOTR 4k blu ray remasters sold out for a couple months when they first launched, they are highly rated, they went scene by scene enhancing each frame. from the reviews I read on it its the best remaster ever done.
Joke's on me anyway. Netflix doesn't have LotR at all, it's only on HBO Go/Max now. Only the FHD version, of course.