• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Light Has Been Stored as Sound For The First Time........could lead to super-fast computers

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
n a world first, scientists have stored light-based data as sound waves on a computer chip - a feat they compare to 'capturing lightning as thunder'.

Storing light as sound has been pursued by large companies such as IBM and Intel for years, but until now has never been achieved.

The researchers hope their breakthrough could lead to the creation of computers in which data can safely travel at the speed of light.

Researchers from the University of Sydney demonstrated the technological breakthrough in a new study, published in Nature Communications.

Transferring information from light to sound and back again inside a microchip is critical for the development of photonic integrated circuits – microchips that use light to manage data.

These chips are being developed for use in telecommunications, optical fibre networks and cloud computing data centres where traditional electronic devices are susceptible to electromagnetic interference, produce too much heat or use too much energy.

Dr Birgit Stiller, supervisor of the project, said: 'The information in our chip in acoustic form travels at a velocity five orders of magnitude slower than in the optical domain.

THE MICROCHIP
The researchers' chip is made of chalcogenide glass, which provides optimal guidance of both optical and acoustic waves.

The chip operates at room temperature and can be used with other computer components, which means it can be easily integrated into photonic circuits.

While light is an excellent carrier of data, its speed can become a nuisance inside computers.

To help overcome this issue, the researchers created an 'acoustic buffer' within the microchip, in which light was temporarily converted into sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=zCdviPEhsyY

https://www.sciencealert.com/breaking-light-was-just-stored-as-sound-for-the-first-time-ever

Last edited:
System Name Gamer
Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D
Case Phanteks Eclipse P200A D-RGB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
The researchers hope their breakthrough could lead to the creation of computers in which data can safely travel at the speed of light.

I'm confused by this statement. Don't all electrons travel at the speed of light? (through whatever the given medium is of course.) So, by definition, doesn't all data in a computer travel at the speed of light? What hindrance are they referring to?

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
wonder what a pic of food would sound like? haha

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Considering light is a modulation signal for intelligence

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
I'm confused by this statement. Don't all electrons travel at the speed of light? (through whatever the given medium is of course.) So, by definition, doesn't all data in a computer travel at the speed of light? What hindrance are they referring to?

Electrons do travel at the speed of light but they "bumb" into other particles inside of materials hence they reach their destination slower. Data most definitely does not travel at the speed of light in any computer system.

System Name Gamer
Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D
Case Phanteks Eclipse P200A D-RGB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Electrons do travel at the speed of light but they "bumb" into other particles inside of materials hence they reach their destination slower. Data most definitely does not travel at the speed of light in any computer system.
Well right. That's why I said "through whatever the given medium is of course." The speed of light in a vacuum is faster than the speed of light through water, copper, whatever. I realize that electrons travel slower through different media. I'm just wondering how exactly "storing light as sound" would increase said speed. I'm not saying it isn't an accomplishment... far from it, I think it's amazing. I'm just wondering by what mechanism it could "lead to the creation of computers in which data can safely travel at the speed of light.

EDIT: After reading it again, I realize that they are actually doing this to SLOW DOWN said particles. They're very briefly turning light into sound, then back to light. I suppose that's where the "safely" part comes in in the above statement. Makes much more sense now.