• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Linpack Xtreme Released

System Name hazazs
Processor Intel Core i7-6700K @4.0GHz
Motherboard MSI B250 GAMING M3
Cooling be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim / 2 * be quiet! Shadow Wings 140mm / 3 * be quiet! Shadow Wings 120mm
Memory 2 * 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @2133MHz CL13 Red
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB / Kingston DataTraveler SE9 G2 8GB
Display(s) Dell P2219H / SONY KDL-43W755C
Case Cooler Master Silencio 652S
Audio Device(s) Creative Inspire P580 / Sennheiser PC 320
Power Supply Cooler Master V550 Semi-Modular
Mouse Logitech G300S
Keyboard Logitech Ultra-Flat
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Professional x64
There could be other factors why your getting a drop but temps would be my first port of call :)

The max temperature under the test is 69°C. Shouldn't be a problem.

Processor i7 8700K
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-A12x25 PWM + 4xNF-A14 PWM
Memory 16 GB Adata XPG Dazzle DDR4 3000 MHz CL16
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Gaming 8G
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus, Samsung 850 Evo
Display(s) Samsung C24FG73 144Hz 1080p
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis 3
Power Supply Superflower Leadex II Gold 650W
Mouse Steelseries Rival 600
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 7
Software Windows 11 Pro
Yes, I have a B250 chipset instead of Z270, because I don't want to OC, I just simply want to stress test my system at base clocks. The XMP profile settings for the RAM are:
2133MHz (highest frequency which are supported by the motherboard with a Skylake CPU)
1,2V
CL13
My result with 10GB RAM and 30 times to run >>LINK<<
Voltage, temperature and clock values under the test according to HWMonitor >>LINK<<

Again, I don't want to OC, but what I definiately want:
Keep all core at 4GHz minimum with the possibility of the 4,2GHz Turbo on one core if needed. For this I have set the minimum processor state to 100% by enabling the "High performance" power profile in Windows. Most of the time the CPU runs at 4GHz on each core, but monitoring the clocks for 3 hours this was the result according to CPUID HWMonitor:

For some reason each core drops rarily to 800MHz, even if I set EIST to disabled. Core #0 drops to 800MHz even under the stress test. Why? It should keep the 4GHz all the time, isn't it? Or what setting did I miss?
It shouldn't drop to 800MHz. That is the typical idle frequency for the Skylakes (and Kaby/Coffee too I think). It's not a thermal throttle. Even with EIST disabled it should not drop. Do you have any apps that can change the power plan on the fly? Like Process Lasso? Some "game booster" types? Get rid of anything like that if yes, at least while you test. It might also be that you need a BIOS update to fix the boost behavior.

By the way, I'm unsure you need to keep it on High Performance, or be worried about idle clocks. At least for Cofffee Lake, which should be quite similar with Skylake, there's basically no performance gain in the benchmarks I tried with High Performance or even the Ultimate (workstation Windows 10) power plans. My 8700K is pretty much always on Balanced and idling at 800, with some cores making temporary jumps to their boost as needed, OS is snappy, games work normally.

I would download HWinfo64 if I were you. One section pretty much holds the reason why a CPU throttles, if it does. Since your temps are fine, another reason is power consumption, Intel most probably has set a Power Limit based on the TDP on the BIOS, so 91W. I have an MSI motherboard too, it should have something like:
Long Duration Power Limit (W)
Long Duration Maintained (s)
Short Duration Power Limit (W)

HWinfo should tell you the package power and if it's capped at 91W. Even if you hit that cap, it should still not throttle to 800, but rather as high as possible while maintaining 91W, so it's still a mystery. Just get HWinfo and see what's causing the clocks to go down.

System Name hazazs
Cooling be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim / 2 * be quiet! Shadow Wings 140mm / 3 * be quiet! Shadow Wings 120mm
Mouse Logitech G300S
Do you have any apps that can change the power plan on the fly? Like Process Lasso? Some "game booster" types?

No, nothing like this at all. I always try to minimize running background programs, especially while gaming.

It might also be that you need a BIOS update to fix the boost behavior.

I've already have the latest.

By the way, I'm unsure you need to keep it on High Performance, or be worried about idle clocks.

Some games have stutters/unexplainable drops, and I always try to do everything to avoid it. One of my fear is (maybe absolutely nonsense) that when the CPU is return from a deeper C-State to C0 it may cause microstutter in games.

Intel most probably has set a Power Limit based on the TDP on the BIOS, so 91W.

These are my settings in BIOS, everything at default. Should I set long and short duration to a higher value, than 91W?

Just get HWinfo and see what's causing the clocks to go down.

I have found that section you're talking about (click on Sensors and scroll down). But what should I see? These informations tell me nothing :/

Processor i7 8700K
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-A12x25 PWM + 4xNF-A14 PWM
Memory 16 GB Adata XPG Dazzle DDR4 3000 MHz CL16
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Gaming 8G
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus, Samsung 850 Evo
Display(s) Samsung C24FG73 144Hz 1080p
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis 3
Power Supply Superflower Leadex II Gold 650W
Mouse Steelseries Rival 600
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 7
Software Windows 11 Pro
No, nothing like this at all. I always try to minimize running background programs, especially while gaming.

I've already have the latest.

Some games have stutters/unexplainable drops, and I always try to do everything to avoid it. One of my fear is (maybe absolutely nonsense) that when the CPU is return from a deeper C-State to C0 it may cause microstutter in games.

View attachment 134267

These are my settings in BIOS, everything at default. Should I set long and short duration to a higher value, than 91W?

I have found that section you're talking about (click on Sensors and scroll down). But what should I see? These informations tell me nothing :/
Game stutters are quite the complex and annoying issue. The causes can be very diverse, ranging from the rather common and easily fixable Standby Cache problem in later Windows 10 builds, to reports that CFG (Control Flow Guard in Windows Defender) causes some of the problems, to engines that are basically defective (Batman Arkham Knight for example, the game famously stutters quite heavily especially when driving, Digital Foundry has a video on it), to engines that are very demanding on hardware (AC Odyssey can be hardcore on the CPU especially in populated areas, the 8700K can spike to 100% with ease with just a 1070ti @1080p Ultra), to games that were released quite unoptimized and with features that are not working well (Metro Exodus comes to mind; i was never able to make it run without stutters, even though I can maintain 90-100 fps in most areas at Ultra settings; some have blamed Hairworks and PhysX, and while turning them off alleviates the issue a bit, it never fully goes away).

At the same time, there are games that run nearly flawlessly. Strange Brigade, for example, is a great showcase of what Vulkan can achieve. Overwatch is a great example of esports optimization. DOOM 2016 runs beautifully.

To complicate things further, all depends on your particular setup. At one point, I started experiencing periodic frame drops each minute, with regularity. It drove me mad for a day or two. Then I discovered a new Windows theme set the desktop wallpaper to change every minute - and each change was accompanied by an ingame frametime spike. It's that easy to break a game engine.

So your stuttering might, or might not be related to the CPU, but I would suspect it is not. Also, inside a game, the CPU should pretty much be stuck at its boost clocks, with rare exceptions like a cutscene. You should make a habit from monitoring and logging your game sessions. MSI AB/RTSS and HWinfo64 and indispensable tools.

Now, for the BIOS settings.

Before you do anything, run a torture test and see if you cap at 91W. Package Power should be visible in HWinfo. Even if you remove/increase the power caps in BIOS, it will likely not change your gaming experience, as you will not reach 91W when gaming on the 4 core CPU at default settings. Most games will hover around 30-50W, with rare spikes into the 60-80W range. The power cap will only get rid of power throttling under stresstesting, basically.

As for that section in HWinfo, it says a lot of things. It shows you what is the limiting factor for the CPU clocks. On my image, you can see Max Turbo Limit and Turbo Attenuation as "Yes". That is basically saying that the CPU is idling and not boosting to max multiplier, and also that it respects a turbo bin set in BIOS. If I would start a stress test, it would boost to 4.3GHz and the Turbo Attenuation will be on No, but Max Turbo Limit will still be there as the CPU will be restricted by the all core 43x multi which is the default setting. If I cap the Powers to 95W, I would get power throttling, which would result in the RING/IA: Package-Level RAPL settings switching to Yes. IA are the cores, Ring is the uncore, and GT is the iGPU.

TLDR: your stuttering will probably be difficult to troubleshoot, and probably you should open a separate topic for that, and the CPU should not have cores going into power saving C states while inside games. There is a C-State residency section in HWinfo64 to monitor that too, seems to go from C7 to C3 to C0 for me, C7 is idling, and C0 is triggered when I launch a stresstest. Not all games result in significant usage of the C0 state for me. Trine 4 barely uses the CPU, but AC Odyssey is quite stressful.

You'll have to kind of discover all these things through testing and monitoring.

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
The max temperature under the test is 69°C. Shouldn't be a problem.

What sort of test are you doing? A blend test or a small FT or whatever it's called? I must admit, I've never really looked at the CPU usage when Prime has run as I just thought it ran 100% all the time... Maybe it's changed a bit since I last used it

System Name hazazs
Mouse Logitech G300S
Game stutters are quite the complex and annoying issue. The causes can be very diverse, ranging from the rather common and easily fixable Standby Cache problem in later Windows 10 builds, to reports that CFG (Control Flow Guard in Windows Defender) causes some of the problems, to engines that are basically defective (Batman Arkham Knight for example, the game famously stutters quite heavily especially when driving, Digital Foundry has a video on it), to engines that are very demanding on hardware (AC Odyssey can be hardcore on the CPU especially in populated areas, the 8700K can spike to 100% with ease with just a 1070ti @1080p Ultra), to games that were released quite unoptimized and with features that are not working well (Metro Exodus comes to mind; i was never able to make it run without stutters, even though I can maintain 90-100 fps in most areas at Ultra settings; some have blamed Hairworks and PhysX, and while turning them off alleviates the issue a bit, it never fully goes away).

At the same time, there are games that run nearly flawlessly. Strange Brigade, for example, is a great showcase of what Vulkan can achieve. Overwatch is a great example of esports optimization. DOOM 2016 runs beautifully.

To complicate things further, all depends on your particular setup. At one point, I started experiencing periodic frame drops each minute, with regularity. It drove me mad for a day or two. Then I discovered a new Windows theme set the desktop wallpaper to change every minute - and each change was accompanied by an ingame frametime spike. It's that easy to break a game engine.

So your stuttering might, or might not be related to the CPU, but I would suspect it is not. Also, inside a game, the CPU should pretty much be stuck at its boost clocks, with rare exceptions like a cutscene. You should make a habit from monitoring and logging your game sessions. MSI AB/RTSS and HWinfo64 and indispensable tools.

Now, for the BIOS settings.

Before you do anything, run a torture test and see if you cap at 91W. Package Power should be visible in HWinfo. Even if you remove/increase the power caps in BIOS, it will likely not change your gaming experience, as you will not reach 91W when gaming on the 4 core CPU at default settings. Most games will hover around 30-50W, with rare spikes into the 60-80W range. The power cap will only get rid of power throttling under stresstesting, basically.

As for that section in HWinfo, it says a lot of things. It shows you what is the limiting factor for the CPU clocks. On my image, you can see Max Turbo Limit and Turbo Attenuation as "Yes". That is basically saying that the CPU is idling and not boosting to max multiplier, and also that it respects a turbo bin set in BIOS. If I would start a stress test, it would boost to 4.3GHz and the Turbo Attenuation will be on No, but Max Turbo Limit will still be there as the CPU will be restricted by the all core 43x multi which is the default setting. If I cap the Powers to 95W, I would get power throttling, which would result in the RING/IA: Package-Level RAPL settings switching to Yes. IA are the cores, Ring is the uncore, and GT is the iGPU.

TLDR: your stuttering will probably be difficult to troubleshoot, and probably you should open a separate topic for that, and the CPU should not have cores going into power saving C states while inside games. There is a C-State residency section in HWinfo64 to monitor that too, seems to go from C7 to C3 to C0 for me, C7 is idling, and C0 is triggered when I launch a stresstest. Not all games result in significant usage of the C0 state for me. Trine 4 barely uses the CPU, but AC Odyssey is quite stressful.

You'll have to kind of discover all these things through testing and monitoring.

Yeah, luckily there are titles that run smoothly like butter, for example Shadow of War for me right now. It runs without any stutters. By the way for some reason it freezes for 1-2 seconds when I investigate a clue, but it's not annoying so much since it happens once per hour.

I have been using Afterburner&RTSS for a long time to monitor, but I never found a connection between the stutters and the loads/clocks/voltages/temps etc., so I hope it is usually game related.

"The power cap will only get rid of power throttling under stresstesting, basically."
But this drop to 800MHz happened in Windows as well on each core, even when I went away for 3 hours and do nothing, while during the 1,5 hours stress test only core0 dropped.

All in all, then when I go home, I will do some test, screenshot the results and post it tomorrow. So far thanks for the information and have a nice day!

What sort of test are you doing? A blend test or a small FT or whatever it's called? I must admit, I've never really looked at the CPU usage when Prime has run as I just thought it ran 100% all the time... Maybe it's changed a bit since I last used it

Linpack Xtreme with 10GB and 30times.

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
@Regeneration
I tried the Linux bootable version and it's great.
1) Can you add timestamps into the output window by chance?
2) What do I change in the settings for infinite loop?

For the Windows version, is there any permanent settings file? It's annoying to type everything over and over. The linpack.ini that's created gets deleted when you exit.

System Name hazazs
Mouse Logitech G300S
@toyo
Hi there,

I played Shadow of War about 2,5 hours yesterday. I logged it into a .csv file (which I converted to .xlsx later) and found out a couple of things.
Core #1,2,3 dropped to 800MHz multiple times, core #0 kept 4GHz all the time. However these drops didn't cause any visible stutter in the game at all.
In the "Core #0,1,2,3 Power Limit Exceeded" columns all values are NO.
In the "Performance Limit - Power" column all values are NO.
Max "CPU Package Power" was 57.755W
In the Performance Limit Reasons section (from "IA: PROCHOT" to "RING: Package-Level RAPL/PBM PL2,PL3") everything was NO, exept:
-"IA: Max Turbo Limit" (always YES)
-"IA: Turbo Attenuation (MCT)" (YES/NO)

So I didn't find the reason of the drops. But if you think and provide me an e-mail address, I can send the log file to you, maybe you can see something what I didn't.

System Name It's just a computer
Processor i9-9900K Direct Die
Motherboard eVGA Z390 Dark
Cooling Dual D5T Vario, XSPC BayRes, Nemesis GTR560, NF-A14-iPPC3000PWM, NF-A14-iPPC2000, HK IV Pro Nickel
Memory G.Skill F4-4500C19D-16GTZKKE or G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GTZ or G.Skill F4-4000C19D-32GTZSW
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX2080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 EVO M.2
Display(s) LG 32GK650F
Case Thermaltake Xaser VI
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G/Z-5500
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-1300
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
Software Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1
Bootable version (on USB) not working properly.

Boots, but resolution is stuck on 640x480, and after 10 seconds or so, PC locks up, requiring power off. Reset button does not work.

Also, when run in Windows, GFlops very low.

WTF?

Last edited:
Cooling Dual D5T Vario, XSPC BayRes, Nemesis GTR560, NF-A14-iPPC3000PWM, NF-A14-iPPC2000, HK IV Pro Nickel
Memory G.Skill F4-4500C19D-16GTZKKE or G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GTZ or G.Skill F4-4000C19D-32GTZSW
Display(s) LG 32GK650F
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
No-one?

I was hoping that at least the author might offer some suggestions...

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Software Windows 10 x64
The author seems to be gone.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Bootable version (on USB) not working properly.

Boots, but resolution is stuck on 640x480, and after 10 seconds or so, PC locks up, requiring power off. Reset button does not work.

Also, when run in Windows, GFlops very low.

WTF?

You can try to run the bootable verison in text mode. But it is likely you'll get similar benchmark results.

Perhaps wrong memory timings, throttling, or some other bad setting in the BIOS.

Display(s) LG 32GK650F
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
You can try to run the bootable verison in text mode. But it is likely you'll get similar benchmark results.

Perhaps wrong memory timings, throttling, or some other bad setting in the BIOS.

Reinstalled Windows, got the bootable version to work. Same GFlops.

Using XMP memory timings.

What type of throttling?

BIOS seetings pretty much on Auto.

Transalpin

There appears to be a problem with Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000 series) running Linpack with AVX support.
Hi,
first post here but been reading this site for a couple of years already; thanks for the news, reviews and SW tools!

Regarding the quote above, is this still an open issue? Everytime I run LinpackXtreme stress test (even on the smallest possible settings: 2GB, 1 run, 1 thread) on my Ryzen 3700X it will end with "Hardware failure detected. System failed to maintain stability."

Thx + br,
Transalpin

System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
Welcome Mister Transalpin to TPU

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Hi,
first post here but been reading this site for a couple of years already; thanks for the news, reviews and SW tools!

Regarding the quote above, is this still an open issue? Everytime I run LinpackXtreme stress test (even on the smallest possible settings: 2GB, 1 run, 1 thread) on my Ryzen 3700X it will end with "Hardware failure detected. System failed to maintain stability."

Thx + br,
Transalpin

Ryzen 3000 series are incompatible with Linpack. Needs a firmware update from AMD.

Transalpin

@Regeneration
Thanks for the feedback/confirmation. Would it be possible to add a note regarding this incompatibility to the download site? Perhaps this will save some others from going through what I did the last few days. (*)

@basco
Thanks for the welcome.
>> Location: austria
Hallo, Landsmann! :)

(*)
I built my PC last weekend. Imagine my dismay when LinpackXtreme failed; I thought had bought a lemon. I went on with testing every RAM stick individually, underclocking the CPU, running other stress tests like Prime95, y-cruncher, Karhu for hours only to have them come up blank and wondering if LinpackXtreme is really that much more effective at detecting hardware faults. ;-)

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Software Windows 10 x64
@Regeneration

For the Windows version, is there any permanent settings file? It's annoying to type everything over and over. The linpack.ini that's created gets deleted when you exit.
Bump.

linux version is not 1.1.1 version updated, who can tell me how can stress 16 gb of ram, in readme.txt stress test amount ram untill 9,6 GB

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
linux version is not 1.1.1 version updated, who can tell me how can stress 16 gb of ram, in readme.txt stress test amount ram untill 9,6 GB

Set problem size to 43000

@Regeneration

Improved logging (timestamp) is scheduled for the next Linux release.

You can quickly press "2, 5, 1000, y, n, n enter". But I'll consider adding batch run to the command line.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Already noted on the 1st post: 2018.3.011.

I don't recommend using anything else.

There Is no possibility to update mkl in Linux versione but Is bot importante because is more food the prime95 then not find an instabile in my oc

Transalpin

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Last edited: