• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Linus Has Some Things to Say about Core i9 and X299

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
Nooo no no.. not that easy, not with me.

It's --your-- fault if you rushed, it's ---your--- fault for rushing and having expectations. Entirely yours.
(yours as in figuratively, am uninterested in targetting individuals)

Also, again.. this doesn't work with me. You paint the full picture, or quote me not. May i? :)

- People buying an 8core to run it on 'Balanced' mode. Whose fault is that. Now before you say it, no, i don't care about the new age trends and hug-me-a-tree mentalities and save the planet; putting mentality on top of logic is still a fault. Your fault (again figuratively).
- People eschewing disabling power states and wondering why or why not. Can link you post after post; yet they too had an "opinion" on Ryzen's bad launch.
- People not taking the time or lacking the knowledge to ensure some semblance of compatibility between their components. They too had an "opinion".
- People neglecting to switch to Gen2 (or entirely unaware of this) when tweaking their BCLK. They too had an "opinion".
- People not having done their reading and as such incapable of grasping SoC's import for both core and ram freqs.
- People so.. useless, so used to "we do it for you" mentality of today that are unable to even upgrade their own BIOS properly... enter a gazillion of issues i've never had simply because i updated the proper way; what a surprise (again, a gazillion posts i could link you of just this).
- People rushing to buy brands they shouldn't be rushing to buy except they were anyway, because such is the market, its mentality and its victims nowadays.
- People being so cheap.. so petty.. they HAD to save 30bucks, buy the non-X version of a cheap as peanuts CPU; and then complain about how it did not quite reach the 'X' variant's frequencies.. why really.. yet they too had an "opinion".
- People buying a certain brand's mobos even after they released a version that fried the mobo, lol.. and i can link you their posts, complaining it was Ryzen's fault for that too!
- People (can name you some we have here, as members), buying the wrong RAMs, entirely, and then making threads here asking for help. Which is O.K., unless they then complain, you guessed it, that this platform has "issues".

I could go on, so really, spare me.
I have made mistakes few here have. I have less than half the knowledge most here have; and yet twice thus far, nothing. All it took was reason. No AGESAs out, no beta mobo BIOSes out, just reason.

So while i respect your opinion (in regard to "early on it really was bad", aka their fault, not ours), i'm really not the one to help you with solidifying it :)

I can pretty much counter that with a one liner: "not all of us are nerds."

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Nooo no no.. not that easy, not with me.

It's --your-- fault if you rushed, it's ---your--- fault for rushing and having expectations. Entirely yours.
(yours as in figuratively, am uninterested in targetting individuals)

Also, again.. this doesn't work with me. You paint the full picture, or quote me not. May i? :)

- People buying an 8core to run it on 'Balanced' mode. Whose fault is that. Now before you say it, no, i don't care about the new age trends and hug-me-a-tree mentalities and save the planet; putting mentality on top of logic is still a fault. Your fault (again figuratively).
- People eschewing disabling power states and wondering why or why not. Can link you post after post; yet they too had an "opinion" on Ryzen's bad launch.
- People not taking the time or lacking the knowledge to ensure some semblance of compatibility between their components. They too had an "opinion".
- People neglecting to switch to Gen2 (or entirely unaware of this) when tweaking their BCLK. They too had an "opinion".
- People not having done their reading and as such incapable of grasping SoC's import for both core and ram freqs.
- People so.. useless, so used to "we do it for you" mentality of today that are unable to even upgrade their own BIOS properly... enter a gazillion of issues i've never had simply because i updated the proper way; what a surprise (again, a gazillion posts i could link you of just this).
- People rushing to buy brands they shouldn't be rushing to buy except they were anyway, because such is the market, its mentality and its victims nowadays.
- People being so cheap.. so petty.. they HAD to save 30bucks, buy the non-X version of a cheap as peanuts CPU; and then complain about how it did not quite reach the 'X' variant's frequencies.. why really.. yet they too had an "opinion".
- People buying a certain brand's mobos even after they released a version that fried the mobo, lol.. and i can link you their posts, complaining it was Ryzen's fault for that too!
- People (can name you some we have here, as members), buying the wrong RAMs, entirely, and then making threads here asking for help. Which is O.K., unless they then complain, you guessed it, that this platform has "issues".

I could go on, so really, spare me.
I have made mistakes few here have. I have less than half the knowledge most here have; and yet twice thus far, nothing. All it took was reason. No AGESAs out, no beta mobo BIOSes out, just reason.

So while i respect your opinion (in regard to "early on it really was bad", aka their fault, not ours), i'm really not the one to help you with solidifying it :)
The platform clearly came out immature.

Im not going to address each point you made, but i dont agree with several...namely

* people buying wrong ram.. while im sure that happened, people bought off the damn qvl list and had problems.
* who cares about overclocking expectations. The reality is it sucks across the board.

...i can go on, but.... i simply wont. Too much to counter on my phone.

The bottom line is there were many issues out of the gate. Good on you for not running into them... twice. Have a cookie :). Some issues were certainly caused by user error, be it poor choices in ram, expectations not set properly etc. Many however, were not.

Things have gotten better all around, but make no mistake about it.. out of the gate there were issues.

Last edited:
System Name Master
Processor Pair of Xeon X5675's @ 4.3
Motherboard SR-2 Classified
Memory 12 GB of Corsair Dominator GT's @ 2000 7-7-7-21
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX680
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
Did someone mention that Intel cable modem chipset that's flawed from here to next Tuesday?

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
That CPU worked and was good but too expensive
seem to remember Intel tried to Drop it ( Support and product line ) as it basicly only sold in few numbers to ( Server and Enterprise customers).
there was a heck of a legal battle between intel and HP/Oracle over itanium about ongoing promised Support

Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Don't lie itanium was great.
Bullshit. They never could get the compilers to produce good enough (binary) code to run on it. The thing is that Itanium removed a lot of things that x86 does for you and puts it into the hands of the developers. Since we know that most developers can't write good, clean, and secure code to save their lives Itanium turned out to be shit.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
In the history of Intel when have they released something that didn't work?

Even as far back as the early phenom days amd had massive issues (tlb bug).

I have a strange nagging feeling threadripper won't correctly clock ram, on top of other issues like behaving like it is a 4P system. Time will tell, but one of the two companies definitely releases a more finished product.
It's argued on the interwebz if there entire lineup is compromised regardless of fusing by there active or inert security features, it is argued rumour backed by a few knowledgeable people but not prooven il admit.
But they have router chips that pop early ,usb ports compromised and all sort of erata in Every chip but its the same for all so im not personally singling them out just saying they are far from perfect ,but then what corporation is , ,,,yes men.....

System Name Master
Lemme highlight a few things for you Itanium lovers.

It’s a bit of a sad end to what was once billed as Intel’s most exciting, forward-looking design. Back in the late 1990s, Itanium was pitched as a joint project between HP and Intel, one that would produce a true successor to the various RISC architectures that were still in-market at that time. Intel and HP both spent huge amounts of money and burned an enormous amount of development time trying to bring a new type of microprocessor to market, only to see Itanium crash and burn while x86 boomed. So what went wrong with Itanium?

The only problem was, it didn’t work well in practice. Memory accesses from cache and DRAM are non-deterministic, which meant the compiler can’t predict how long they will take — and if the compiler can’t predict how long they’ll take, it’s going to have a hard time scheduling workloads to fill the gap. Itanium was designed to present a huge array of execution resources that the compiler would intelligently fill, but if the compiler can’t keep them filled, it’s just wasted die space. Itanium was designed to extract and exploit instruction-level parallelism, but compilers of the time struggled to find enough ILP in most workloads to justify the expense and difficulty of running code on the platform. And EPIC was so radically different from any other architecture, there was no way to cleanly port an application.

But its failure is also a testament to how some of the ‘facts’ that get passed around CPU industry aren’t as simple as we might think. x86 is often discussed in disparaging terms as an outdated and ancient architecture, as if no one had the guts to take it outside and shoot it. But in reality, Intel made multiple attempts to do just that, from the iAPX 432 (begun in 1975) to the i860 and i960, to Itanium itself. And despite an emphasis on parallelism that sounds superficially promising, given the difficulty modern programmers have had with scaling applications to use multiple threads in an effective manner, Itanium represented another dead-end branch of research that never managed to deliver the real-world performance it promised on paper.

Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
x86 may be a shitty architecture but its proven time and a time again it can go further, it has stood the test of time.

System Name Master
given the difficulty modern programmers have had with scaling applications to use multiple threads in an effective manner, Itanium represented another dead-end branch of research that never managed to deliver the real-world performance it promised on paper.

Gee, isn't this the same thing the Ryzen haters are saying?
Will it not be the same road traveled for the Intel X platform?

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Can we keep this list going I am having fun :roll:

System Name Master

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Did someone mention that Intel cable modem chipset that's flawed from here to next Tuesday?

Me. Ironic in hindsight, I'll admit.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Xeon Phi? Was meant to be a catch-all x86 GPGPU and was unceremoniously reduced to a many-core co-processor with zero GPU functionality.

3D XPoint memory? Was supposed to be amazebawls fast and now they're aiming for it to barely compete with the latest NVMe SSDs.

I can't say Intel truly impressed since the original Core i7 launched almost a decade ago.

Processor 7900
Motherboard Rampage Apex
Cooling H115i
Memory 64GB TridentZ 3200 14-14-14-34-1T
Video Card(s) Fury X
Case Corsair 740
Audio Device(s) 8ch LPCM via HDMI to Yamaha Z7 Receiver
Power Supply Corsair AX860
Mouse G903
Keyboard G810
Software 8.1 x64
I thought it was 44? I have seen a couple of different postings on usable pcie now for them...

As far as I can tell, its 24 lanes from each die and 16 from the chipset. So 2x24 + 16 = 64 total lanes. Because of how the lanes are split up you can still only get two 16x slots; one from each die.

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
As far as I can tell, its 24 lanes from each die and 16 from the chipset. So 2x24 + 16 = 64 total lanes. Because of how the lanes are split up you can still only get two 16x slots; one from each die.

Good to know. This will be a real test of how the CCX units can communicate between each other then...That is going to be a metric shit ton of data across infinity fabric.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
Here's AdoredTV take on the x299 "blunder" and threadripper:

He makes some interesting points. Dunno if threadripper will scale as high as he suggests but, as long as it's not that far off, Intel really does seem to be screwed ...

Processor Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E MPG Carbon Wifi
Cooling Custom loop, 2x360mm radiator,Lian Li UNI, EK XRes140,EK Velocity2
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5-6400 @ 6400MHz C32
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra OC Scanner core +750 mem
Storage MP600 2TB,960 EVO 1TB,XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB,Micron 1100 2TB,OCZ Vector 512GB,1.5TB Caviar Green
Display(s) Acer X34S, Acer XB270HU
Case LianLi O11 Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Logitech G-Pro X Wireless
Power Supply EVGA P3 1200W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G512 Carbon w/ GX Brown
VR HMD HP Reverb G2 (V2)
Software Win 11
3D XPoint memory? Was supposed to be amazebawls fast and now they're aiming for it to barely compete with the latest NVMe SSDs.

On this point, supposedly Optane is truly amazing; even in it's early implementation. Allyn Malvantano over at PCPer.com gave a good go over about it.

System Name ACME Singularity Unit
Processor Coal-dual 9000
Motherboard Oak Plank
Cooling 4 Snow Yetis huffing and puffing in parallel
Memory Hasty Indian (I/O: 3 smoke signals per minute)
Video Card(s) Bob Ross AI module
Storage Stone Tablet 2.0
Display(s) Where are my glasses?
Case Hand sewn bull hide
Audio Device(s) On demand tribe singing
Power Supply Spin-o-Wheel-matic
Mouse Hamster original
Keyboard Chisel 1.9a (upgraded for Stone Tablet 2.0 compatibility)
Software It's all hard down here
"not all of us are nerds"

Oh it's besides that i think.
When you buy something new and in this case, doubly new (new as in not only your components/build in its entirety, but also new as in the whole platform per se), you're meant to do some research. It's really that simple and it applies to everything.. form buying a new watch all the way to buying a new car.

None of us, myself included, needed a degree or decades of expertise to do just the basic.. read a little bit.

The reality is it sucks across the board
make no mistake about it.. out of the gate there were issues

Will start from the latter and again state that yes, of course there were. Will only reiterate that:
i) even two weeks, a measly two weeks of waiting would have ensured 80% of them would never have been reported. Rushing and then blaming someone else is at best immature.
ii) a significant number of them would have been reported even 6 and 8 months later, because people did a lot of things wrongly, did not acquaint themselves with the platform, etc., as i mention above (and let me repeat myself, have even more 'idiotic' examples to post if needed)
iii) fanboyism at work, as usually, only added to the negativity. A lot of manchildren expected the Intel-killer and when they saw something only a few percentile units behind but at half the price? Were disappointed.... and then bitter and resentful. No further comments.

Now as to the former, lol.. it sucks across the board? Seriously? :)

Bit lower in most, bit faster in some select few, but let us say (even though falsely) that it is behind in everything, compared to a 6900K, O.K.?

- $1200 for the i7 + $500ish for the Intel mobo (and i'm being generous here) = $1700 total
- $500 for the X + $250 tops for the mobo (not even holding back like above, buying the best this time around) = $750 total

If you think that with this pricing difference ($950), being a few percentile units behind is a "fail", you need re-examine your criteria. Wholly.

Anyway, this is off topic, but i would only remind that the reason i mentioned this in my first post is to showcase how.. warped.. people's thinking is. And how that is the number one issue at hand far as i'm concerned.
It applies for the X299 too, albeit differently (see my original post).

Last edited:
Processor R7 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI x570 Tomahawk
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Edge,EK QS P420M,EK D5pwm Revo Res
Memory 32gb Corsair Vengeance RT 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) Zotac 3070ti Amp Extreme
Storage Samsung 980pro 1tb x2
Display(s) MSI MPG321QRF QD
Case Corsair 7000D
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse G900
Keyboard Corsair k60 RGB PRO
Software Win 11
Good to know. This will be a real test of how the CCX units can communicate between each other then...That is going to be a metric shit ton of data across infinity fabric

I cant see its 'quad channel' ram working great tbh, even more so with epyc, given they will be using slower ecc ram

with ryzen we saw its ccx latency issues quite apparent until you get the ram up around 3000mhz

Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Does anyone know if AMD is tying the speed of the Infinity Fabric to the speed of the system RAM in Threadripper and Epyc?

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
I cant see its 'quad channel' ram working great tbh, even more so with epyc, given they will be using slower ecc ram

with ryzen we saw its ccx latency issues quite apparent until you get the ram up around 3000mhz

And this will have the ram controllers split between the CCX units... LOL this is going to be great

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
And this will have the ram controllers split between the CCX units... LOL this is going to be great

As I said before, I think Infinity Fabric is in need of a major revision. A clock doubler vs memory, or something. It sucks in it's current implementation, and is only really good for two CCXs.