• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Linus Torvalds Calls Out Intel for ECC Memory Market Stagnation

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
I'm all for making ECC more widespread, especially any "workstation" build should seriously consider ECC. (I cringe whenever I hear people put overclocked memory in their "workstations")
But it's not like every chip will be able to pass the strict ECC validation that Xeons go through, so it's not like Intel and AMD can realistically offer it on every consumer CPU.

I remember one tech writer/youtube mentioned that with AMD supports ECC on consumer platforms, he hoped for the memory makers to introduce faster ECC enabled RAM. He noted that all ECC memory are designed mainly for servers, so they're strictly clocked to follow JEDEC standards, but this is not required on consumer platforms, so makers can have non-registered ECC modules that are faster exclusively for the consumer market.
To my knowledge, only Threadripper supports ECC (of AMD's "consumer" CPUs). Some motherboards can enable it on AM4 CPUs, but it's pointless when the CPUs are not validated for ECC. I don't know if Threadripper's ECC support and validation is on par with Xeon or not, because ECC is not just about having it, it matters what kind of parity, checks and corrections the hardware is capable of.

ECC memory goes up to 3200 MHz, which is the fastest DDR4 JEDEC supports and is the fastest speed supported by any current CPU. Going beyond that would be pointless (for now), since you will have to sacrifice system stability and long-term reliability. Xeons are designed to handle load 24/7 for years, not just five minute bursts of benchmarking like most enthusiasts do, if you give the controller more voltage it will become unreliable much quicker if you run it with sustained loads.

That may be possible symptom of memory corruption while in System RAM but I'm thinking of another possible symptom too. Taking into account that we're storing more and more data on our systems the chances of a memory corruption could cause data to be read in and written back out to primary storage (HDD or SSD) and have it be corrupted once it's there.
There is actually a fairly low chance of a single error to cause applications or the OS to crash, most memory errors will only cause data corruption. This is why ECC is often a "requirement" for file servers, it's more about data integrity than uptime.

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
There is actually a fairly low chance of a single error to cause applications or the OS to crash, most memory errors will only cause data corruption. This is why ECC is often a "requirement" for file servers, it's more about data integrity than uptime.
There you go, I mentioned reading and writing data from system and/or data storage devices.

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Motherboard Asus Z690-Plus TUF Gaming WiFi D5
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm AIO
Memory PNY MAKO DDR5-6000 C36-36-36-76
Video Card(s) PowerColor Hellhound 6700 XT 12GB
Storage WD SN770 512GB m.2, Samsung 980 Pro m.2 2TB
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440p / 34" MSI MAG341CQ 3440x1440
Case Montech Air X
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 25
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Lots
Everyone clamoring and getting behind this kind of thing needs to keep in mind that this would affect both performance and price.

So yes there are some "tests" where same speed rated ECC vs non ECC show only a 2% or so performance difference.

The problem comes in with high speed / overclocking of ECC RAM. I don't see anything over 3200 on newegg for example, and that is CL22. I can't find anyone successfully clocking up over DDR4-3200. And, the cheapest ECC DDR4-3200 CL22 is about twice as expensive as non-ecc DDR4-3200 CL16.

In other words, you will pay for it both coming and going.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Everyone clamoring and getting behind this kind of thing needs to keep in mind that this would affect both performance and price.

So yes there are some "tests" where same speed rated ECC vs non ECC show only a 2% or so performance difference.

The problem comes in with high speed / overclocking of ECC RAM. I don't see anything over 3200 on newegg for example, and that is CL22. I can't find anyone successfully clocking up over DDR4-3200. And, the cheapest ECC DDR4-3200 CL22 is about twice as expensive as non-ecc DDR4-3200 CL16.

Is that because it's harder to make faster ECC modules or is it because the market is segmented that way?

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
lol plain blunt and honest

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Case Montech Air X
Software Lots
Is that because it's harder to make faster ECC modules or is it because the market is segmented that way?

ECC uses a very old method of detection using a parity bit. They may call it something different but it's essentially the same. Then it has to run an algorithm - this would be in hardware for ECC - to detect that a bit is wrong.

So for starters, you need more storage to contain the parity bit. See image below, ECC vs non ECC, there's an extra memory chip.

Next, you need that extra circuitry.

From a really high level, you're adding components (extra memory to hold the parity) and an extra process (checking parity, and if it fails - what to do, what can be done, fix it if it's small enough, etc).

So none of that is free, it will exact a toll in additional components, circuitry, and complexity.

1609886290143.png

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
ECC uses a very old method of detection using a parity bit. They may call it something different but it's essentially the same. Then it has to run an algorithm - this would be in hardware for ECC - to detect that a bit is wrong.

So for starters, you need more storage to contain the parity bit. See image below, ECC vs non ECC, there's an extra memory chip.

From a really high level, you're adding components (extra memory to hold the parity) and an extra process (checking parity, and if it fails - what to do, what can be done, fix it if it's small enough, etc).

So none of that is free, it will exact a toll in additional components, circuitry, and complexity.

View attachment 182554

I mean is there a technical reason why there aren't faster ECC RAM or is it because it wouldn't be an interesting product? I know it has extra bits and bobs so you will lose a bit of performance.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
He's not wrong. Hardware ECC with a dedicated ECC chip is the way to go. You can do it in software or without the extra parity chip, but it's not as good and it costs you memory whereas ECC memory factors that chip into the device's capacity. ECC should be an industry standard for all devices.

View attachment 182554
It's an extra DRAM chip, all the ECC processing is done in the CPU. It's not really that much more. It's registered/buffered memory that has extra circuitry that's different than a run of the mill DRAM chip. What if that extra bit was addressable if you turned ECC off? That'd be really nice.

Last edited:
System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Case Montech Air X
Software Lots
He's not wrong. Hardware ECC with a dedicated ECC chip is the way to go. You can do it in software or without the extra parity chip, but it's not as good and it costs you memory whereas ECC memory factors that chip into the device's capacity. ECC should be an industry standard for all devices.

It's an extra DRAM chip, all the ECC processing is done in the CPU. It's not really that much more. It's registered/buffered memory that has extra circuitry that's different than a run of the mill DRAM chip. What if that extra bit was addressable if you turned ECC off? That'd be really nice.

Dude, it's very clear from your post that you don't know what you're talking about. You contradicted yourself like 3 or more times.

Do it in software, without a parity chip? So you're going to put parity in main system RAM, decreasing the amount of available memory, and taking a CPU hit and an absolutely massive latency hit? Nobody does that, and that's why.

"Facotr that chip into the devices capacity" - so you're going to say you have 16GB of RAM, when you really only have 14.5 GB of RAM because 1.5GB of it is for parity? In other words you're going to fudge the numbers to make it look like you didn't lose anything?

Yeah but no.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
its like he saves up these rants until he tops his stress levels out and then bursts out, its a blaze of glory alright.. :roll:

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.

ECC was saving my ass just the other day on one of my data servers. Is it rare I need it? yes. But it's totally worth it when it works as intended.

I always run ECC in production.

System Name Multiple - Win7, Win10, Kubuntu
Processor Intel Core i7 3820 OC@ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 1333MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire ATI Radeon RX 480 8GB
Storage Samsung SSD: 970 EVO 1TB, 2x870 EVO 250GB,860 Evo 250GB,850 Evo 250GB, WD 4x1TB, 2x2TB, 4x4TB
Display(s) Asus PB328Q 32' 1440p@75hz
Case Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper
Power Supply Corsair HX750, HX550, Galaxy 520W
Mouse Multiple, Razer Mamba Elite, Logitech M500
Keyboard Multiple - Lenovo, HP, Dell, Logitech

View attachment 182554

Yes, this is the laws of physics, that's how much ECC costs, that's how much it takes, so be it.

Everything in life is a trade-off, so this really isn't an argument. I want ECC too, I don't care what it takes. Sure it's home PC, sure I play games too, but mostly workstation, and I have archives, data as well, I don't want to lose it either, no matter how much "home PC" is "unimportant" to them, I don't frankly give a rats ass about some random company's data saftey, I CARE ABOUT MY DATA SAFETY. I could be working on an important project and have the PC crash in the middle, even if you recover some point 15 minutes autosave it still causes a multi hour or days lost of time trying to remember where you left off and redo the lost work, etc ... the stupid dumb anti-ECC gamerz-channelz think that's "no big deal" if a PC has a BSOD or an app crashes, well if you're a dumb gamer doing absolutely nothing productive/educational/helpful with a PC, then yes only in that case it's not a big deal, but not everybody wants to be a dumb gamer for the rest of their life.

What about the speed runs, tournaments, and competitive gaming, they effing need ECC too, I'll happen one day, tho we're kinda lucky it doesn't, ... or wait, a desync usually gets blamed on network (ISP, congestion, some server, etc) but it could in reality be caused by corrupt memory, and if you don't know it was the memory that did it, if you don't even have any way to monitor that, that's a problem right there!

In this artificial economic system things that are costly are usually because they're not popular or because someone just doesn't care enough.

Easy fix: make it popular, don't hike the price, done. The worlds elites, corporations, certainly have that power, if they so really care about some asterioid in the middle up nowhere they want to send rockets to, they can make the frigging RAM do ECC for crying out loud, couldn't they :p

Last edited:
System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Case Montech Air X
Software Lots
Yes, this is the laws of physics, that's how much ECC costs, that's how much it takes, so be it.

Everything in life is a trade-off, so this really isn't an argument. I want ECC too, I don't care what it takes. Sure it's home PC, sure I play games too, but mostly workstation, and I have archives, data as well, I don't want to lose it either, no matter how much "home PC" is "unimportant" to them, I don't frankly give a rats ass about some random company's data saftey, I CARE ABOUT MY DATA SAFETY. I could be working on an important project and have the PC crash in the middle, even if you recover some point 15 minutes autosave it still causes a multi hour or days lost of time trying to remember where you left off and redo the lost work, etc ... the stupid dumb anti-ECC gamerz-channelz think that's "no big deal" if a PC has a BSOD or an app crashes, well if you're a dumb gamer doing literally absolutely nothing productive with a PC, then yes only in that case it's not a big deal, but not everyone wants to be a dumb gamer for the rest of their life.

In this artificial economic system things that are costly are usually because they're not popular or because someone just doesn't care enough.

Easy fix: make it popular, don't hike the price, done. The worlds elites, corporations, certainly have that power, if they so really care about some asterioid in the middle up nowhere they want to send rockets to, they can make the frigging RAM do ECC for crying out loud, couldn't they :p

Then go buy a HEDT LGA 2066 or a Threadripper and put ECC in it. They aren't that much expensive - maybe an extra $200-$300 for the motherboard and the CPU. And double for the RAM. If it's worth it to you, fine.

But why would everyone else need to pay more to suit your desires? Just pay for it yourself and be done with it.

I don't want to say "I was right". I want this fixed, and I want ECC. And AMD did it. Intel didn't.
I have to agree with Linus in this point. Intel has dropped the ball in this area of technology, a technology sector that needs advancement. ECC should be standard on all memory modules made at this point in time and it isn't.

Processor R7-7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2 rev B
Memory no name DDR5-5200
Video Card(s) Some 3080 10GB
Storage dual Intel DC P4610 1.6TB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34MQ + Dell 2708WFP
Case Lian-Li Lancool III black no rgb
Power Supply CM UCP 750W
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Doesn't DDR5 have ECC?

Btw, AMD does not officially support ECC on desktop either. What they do better is that they are not preventing its use.

Kind of. From what I can gather and understand, there are 8 additional bits of ECC memory for each 32 bits of user memory, and they are used to detect flipped bits. Not sure if this is mandatory or optional. This is how manufacturers counter the increase in bit errors due to process shrinking, and Linus' words "because they finally owned up to the fact that they absolutely have to" refer to just that.

ECC on the memory bus, however, is NOT mandatory even in DDR5, so system without it will not be able to detect errors that occur when the data is moving.
DDR5 has on-die mandatory ECC, but that's for the memory array and it's transparent to the user(AFAIK there's no reporting of said ECC activity whatsoever, i'd have to read the DDR5 command list to know but it's not public).
As Wirko said, bus ECC(end-to-end) is still optional, thus "ECC modules" will still be a thing, those need TWO extra memory chip for the parity data(hence why they use a 2x40-bit bus instead of a 2x32-bit one).
¿why two?, because DDR5 modules are essentially two-in-one and have 2 independent 32-bit channels, thus you need an extra parity chip for EACH half. BUT it should provide much better ECC support (i guess it will support SDDC across all sizes, not just limited to x4 devices like now)

I expect DDR5-ECC modules to be quite more expensive per-capacity than DDR4 for a long time(2 extra chips PLUS VR circuitry) -maybe someday they'll be lower-

I don't see anything over 3200 on newegg for example, and that is CL22. I can't find anyone successfully clocking up over DDR4-3200. And, the cheapest ECC DDR4-3200 CL22 is about twice as expensive as non-ecc DDR4-3200 CL16.

This is because all ECC RAM is tailored towards the server market, requiring strict standards compliance. And the JEDEC only certified DDR4 for 3200, so it's the maximum you will see for this purpose (server grade RAM), not to mention the strict testings and requirements makes them use loose timing also to guarantee everything.

If consumer ECC RAM is a thing, you won't see them goes as fast as current non-ECC RAM, but will still be way faster than any server grade RAM, and will also cost less than server RAM duo to way much less testing and verification, but also expect high-end consumer ECC RAM to cost more than similar spec'ed non-ECC RAM. But the high-end ECC and non-ECC might be similar. While consumer ECC RAM requires more testing (and higher cost per module), the non-ECC RAM also is highly binned to be able to reach those clocks and timings, but also reaching those will most probably makes them incapable of meeting consumer ECC standards, that's why you wont see consumer ECC RAM reaches the high clocks and tight timing of high-end non-ECC.

This is only if consumer ECC RAM is a thing, I hope AMD pushes more for it.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section

Hi,
Yeah 3200c22 or even c16 is no prize, oc ability is not good.
AMD is getting better with memory oc but still same old story only using 2 sticks and 4 sticks still way more handicapped than Intel systems are.

Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
ECC was saving my ass just the other day on one of my data servers. Is it rare I need it? yes. But it's totally worth it when it works as intended.

I always run ECC in production.
Wait. What? Are each of those table entries an indication where data was corrupted? Holy crap! :twitch:

What is your data server doing that it is encountering that many memory errors?

Then go buy a HEDT LGA 2066 or a Threadripper and put ECC in it. They aren't that much expensive - maybe an extra $200-$300 for the motherboard and the CPU. And double for the RAM. If it's worth it to you, fine.

But why would everyone else need to pay more to suit your desires? Just pay for it yourself and be done with it.
that's the damn point! It wouldn't be so much more if it was just standard! What happens when standard??? Prices level out because everyone does it now. The chain becomes to same for all. People.like you keep this BS going. People like you keep markets segmented.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Wait. What? Are each of those table entries an indication where data was corrupted? Holy crap! :twitch:

What is your data server doing that it is encountering that many memory errors?

nand failed.

Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
that's the damn point! It wouldn't be so much more if it was just standard! What happens when standard??? Prices level out because everyone does it now. The chain becomes to same for all. People.like you keep this BS going. People like you keep markets segmented.
ECC (non-registered) will always need one extra memory chip per rank and a more advanced controller, so we should expect it to cost about 12.5% more.
Let's take an example;
Kingston Server Premier 16GB 3200 MHz dual rank (KSM32ED8/16ME or KSM32ED8/16HD)
vs.
Kingston ValueRAM 16GB 3200 MHz dual rank (KVR32N22D8/16)
If we're using Newegg as a reference, it's $91 vs $79, so a 15% premium. Pretty fair, don't you think?
(In my country it's actually a 4% premium right now…)

I honestly don't think the pricing of ECC (non-registered) memory is the problem. Many of you pay much more for overclocked memory.

For Threadripper ECC support is easy, it's already supported by the platform, so it's just the minor extra cost of ECC memory to account for.

In the Intel camp it's a little more complex, they have three tiers of workstation platforms;
Xeon W 1200 series: (LGA1200)
CPUs have some premium prices, example:
Xeon W-1290P $539 vs. i9-10900K $488 (+10%)
Xeon W-1270P $428 vs. i7-10700K $374 (+14%)
While motherboards are pretty much in line with premium consumer boards;
Supermicro X12SAE ($349 on Newegg)
ASUS Pro WS W480-ACE ($284 on Newegg)
So this prices are pretty acceptable considering these are workstation grade parts.
(PS: Not accounting for the fact that consumer counterparts are more often on discounts)

Xeon W 2200 series: LGA(2066)
CPUs have a more substantial premium:
Xeon W-2255 $778 vs. i9-10900X $590 (+32%)
Xeon W-2295 $1333 vs. i9-10980XE $979 (+36%)
While motherboards are decently priced: (actually cheaper than some X299 motherboards)
Supermicro MBD-X11SRA-F-O ($340 on Newegg)

Xeon W 3200 series: LGA(3647)
These CPUs are very pricey:
Xeon W-3235 $1398
Xeon W-3275 $4449
But have some nice motherboards;
Supermicro X11SPA-T. ($528 on Newegg)
(Take a moment to admire this motherboard.)

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
I'm all for better more reliable xmp profiles.

I probably see a Bit flip 5 times per year based on system freeze/crash in my PC with 16GB left on 24/7.
The bit flip is seen only when you can see it. Most of the time bit flip doesn't cause immediate crash thanks to software engineering but that doesn't mean it won't cause problems.

In a non-ECC environment, you will find a heavy floating number calculation program to produce slightly different results during repeated runs, guess why.