• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Linux (Debian sucks)

System Name nope
Processor I3 10100F
Motherboard ATM Gigabyte h410
Cooling Arctic 12 passive
Memory ATM Gskill 1x 8GB NT Series (No Heatspreader bling bling garbage, just Black DIMMS)
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD7770 and EVGA GTX 470 and Zotac GTX 960
Storage 120GB OS SSD, 240GB M2 Sata, 240GB M2 NVME, 300GB HDD, 500GB HDD
Display(s) Nec EA 241 WM
Case Coolermaster whatever
Audio Device(s) Onkyo on TV and Mi Bluetooth on Screen
Power Supply Super Flower Leadx 550W
Mouse Steelseries Rival Fnatic
Keyboard Logitech K270 Wireless
Software Deepin, BSD and 10 LTSC
im happy for about 4 Years with Debian, but there are so many things that it sucks to use it as a daily OS

1. U need drivers for every shit like h264
2. Most wifi Cards dont work out of the Box (USB, PCIe)
3. U need self compiling the WIFI Cards (most dont work or being bugy)
4. Sometimes it can not copy things to another NTFS drive
5. Open source Burning Rooms are totaly stupid (i take x2 on my BD Drive with a BD RE x2, and the Program writes with 6-8x) (Error)
etc. etc.

The usabilty is like come fuck me iam open source im best nahh, ill go back to my fimary Windows 10 LTSC

Last edited:
System Name "IBT 10x Maximum Stable"
Processor Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6GHz -> 100xx46 - 1.296v
Motherboard MSI MPower Z97
Cooling Corsair H100i + 2x Corsair "HP Edition" SP120's
Memory 4x4GB Corsair Vengence Pro 2400mhz @ 2400MHz 10-11-12-31-1T - 1.66v
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming GTX970 4GB @ 1314 Core/1973 Mem/1515 Boost
Storage Kingston 3K 120GB SSD + Western Digital 'Green' 2TB + Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) Iiyama Prolite X2377HDS 23" IPS
Case Corsair Carbide 300R
Audio Device(s) Rotel RA-04/Cambridge Audio Azur 540R + B&W DM302/Cerwin Vega AT12 / Sony MDR-XB700 & FiiO E5
Power Supply EVGA NEX650G + Silverstone Extensions
Mouse Always failing me....
Keyboard Endlessly broken.....
Software Windoze 7 Pro 64-bit/Windoze 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores I had some of these once upon a time? Old age has seen me misplace them....
There are multiple other Linux choices... however, I do hope you enjoy using Windows again.

(not sure this needed a thread)

In Debian the repositories that contain the software that does not comply with the DFSG (non-free repositories) are disabled by default. You can enable them by editing /etc/apt/sources.list or (probably) via your package manager. After updating the sources list, you can then easily install non-free firmware and other proprietary stuff. No compiling needed. Alternatively, if you had picked Manjaro or (K)Ubuntu, your experience might have been much better.

Additionally, for me ntfs-3g was extremely stable and never in years I had problems with it. Please note, that writing support to NTFS is not available if the partition was not unmounted properly in Windows (BSOD, forced restart, Fast startup, etc.)

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
In my experience the Linux distros can definitely be finicky with hardware. I don't think I ever have had a laptop running Linux (*ubuntu/Puppy/DSL/Slitaz/Fedora/CentOS/others) where I have gotten everything running, the most common final culprit being enter sleep mode on lid closing.

System Name Self-built
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS Prime B550 Plus
Cooling Scythe FUMA 2 + various case fans
Memory 16GB: Corsair CMK16GX4M2D3600C18 at 3800C16
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Eagle RTX3070
Storage 2x WD Black m.2 nvme 1TB, WD HDD 6TB, Crucial 750MX300,
Display(s) LG 27GN950
Case DeepCool E-Shield
Audio Device(s) Int: RealTek ALC892, NVidia GA104 HD Ext: LG 27GN950, Behringer DEQ2496, DCX2496, A500. etc
Power Supply Seasonic Core GM-650SRM
Software Linux Mint + Windows11 pro
Benchmark Scores Not worthy of attention
I sympathise with the OP. It p...es me off every time I'm forced back to a Terminal and command line. In 2020! Every time that happens, I say "One day, Linux will be ready for the desktop......."

But then again, I sure am glad I'm dual-booting.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
im happy for about 4 Years with Debian, but there are so many things that it sucks to use it as a daily OS

2. Most wifi Cards dont work out of the Box (USB, PCIe)
3. U need self compiling the WIFI Cards (most dont work or being bugy)
4. Sometimes it can not copy things to another NTFS drive
5. Open source Burning Rooms are totaly stupid (i take x2 on my BD Drive with a BD RE x2, and the Program writes with 6-8x) (Error)
etc. etc.

The usabilty is like come fuck me iam open source im best nahh, ill go back to my fimary Windows 10 LTSC
The thing is, some of those same issues appear even on windows 10. I'll try to explain some nuances in the same order as yours.
1. That's weird... Did you perform a minimal installation? x264 and ffmpeg should install automatically with your media player if they weren't installed initially (assuming you used package manager and didn't compile it from source or something).
2. It only applies to older Atheros and Ralink cards, which is also a case for Windows. I used to have Asus PCE-N53, which didn't work properly on any OS. Re-compiling drivers on Ubuntu w/ community patch for kernel 3.xx and 4.xx was actually faster and easier than manually tweaking and re-testing several times in a row a driver config on Windows 10. On windows 10 it would lose 5GHz band, and intermittently work in 1x1 mode on 2.4GHz band (with ridiculous floating pings and packet loss). In either case, it's not Debian's fault, it's hardware OEMs fault. Almost all new AC/AX cards work OOB, including my Intel 7260, Intel 8260, and AX200. Most popular Realtek and Mediatek AC chipsets are also supported, with some exceptions, but those are crap anyways.
3. Once again, you probably have something similar to my old ASUS N53. Old Ralink chipset, which got lost in support not long after Mediatek acquisition. I was shocked, but Mediatek were kind enough to at least keep updating drivers for Win10(but a couple of years later). I suggest you get an intel WiFi adapter instead - much better drivers and best performance regardless of the OS.
4. I think it's because the system is using the wrong driver. Check if you have ntfs-3g installed, double-check your fstab if it uses ntfs-3g, or do the same if you mount your drives manually.
5. Which app do you use? And which Debian version? Too many suspicious issues.

I sympathise with the OP. It p...es me off every time I'm forced back to a Terminal and command line. In 2020! Every time that happens, I say "One day, Linux will be ready for the desktop......."

But then again, I sure am glad I'm dual-booting.
Seems to me you've never had to do mundane stuff like ipconfig /release & /renew after someone sleek decided to play around with shitty VPN software, or clean up UWP apps through powershell, or repartition a drive through diskpart, ping remote hosts, or traceroute spammers...
Command line on Windows is still a daily thing for most power users, so is terminal in Linux or OSX. No need to bring up this beat-up dead horse "2020" crap.

System Name Self-built
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS Prime B550 Plus
Cooling Scythe FUMA 2 + various case fans
Memory 16GB: Corsair CMK16GX4M2D3600C18 at 3800C16
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Eagle RTX3070
Storage 2x WD Black m.2 nvme 1TB, WD HDD 6TB, Crucial 750MX300,
Display(s) LG 27GN950
Case DeepCool E-Shield
Audio Device(s) Int: RealTek ALC892, NVidia GA104 HD Ext: LG 27GN950, Behringer DEQ2496, DCX2496, A500. etc
Power Supply Seasonic Core GM-650SRM
Software Linux Mint + Windows11 pro
Benchmark Scores Not worthy of attention
Seems to me you've never had to do mundane stuff like ipconfig...

My perspective is from someone who wrote their first program in 1969, diagnosed mainframes to the transistor-gate level, supported kernels, ran projects and built networking products for the telecomms industry etc etc. But I don't want to use any of that knowledge when I'm sitting at a desktop. I want the desktop to work for ME, as if I was completely incompetent. If I'm running a server, I pretty much expect to get my hands dirty, but a consumer-level desktop should just 'work', like an advanced iPad, especially when I'm restricting my use case to consumer activities.
While I understand your annoyance, I was simply expressing my frustration that after so much time and effort has been expended by so many, we are still fixing things that should have been fixed 5 years ago. The 'Linux Model' has its strengths and weaknesses.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
I want the desktop to work for ME, as if I was completely incompetent. If I'm running a server, I pretty much expect to get my hands dirty, but a consumer-level desktop should just 'work', like an advanced iPad, especially when I'm restricting my use case to consumer activities.
No-hassle OS does not equal control (it's the opposite), and having terminal gives you more control and more flexibility. But just because it's there doesn't mean you have to use it.
Which brings me to another big modern problem : nowadays most people stopped thinking for themselves... Basically a good habit of deductive thinking and problem solving is slowly shriveling and dying.
Even some of my colleagues suffer from this condition... :D All they care about is "How to do it?", but never think about "What am I doing?" and "Why am I doing it?".
Instead of blindly following cookbook-tutorials off the internet they should learn the OS on their own terms and find easier ways to do things, if they want to (or call the professional if they don't, just like with cars and fridges). There's always more than one way to cook an egg. In most cases, for an average user, there is no reason to even open the terminal. Wanna add codecs? Open Software Center or whatever GUI for package manager is there, or download prebuilt binary from online repo. Wanna install drivers - open device driver manager or download it from the manufacturer's website (if available). Wanna install software - same thing. Want to edit config file - open a file manager as admin and do the same thing. Yes, it's longer and sometimes more frustrating to do anything via GUI, but as I said before - it's the same for any operating system.

In case of OP, who's MiA after letting off some steam, it seems... all of his issues boil down to:
a) Bad choice of software
b) Bad choice of hardware
c) Surface-only understanding of the OS (after 4 years, as he claims)
d) Most likely lack of upkeep and lack of updates, which would've solved at least 2-3 problems in his list.

I'm a dual-booter myself. I highly recommend buying a 2nd SSD for Linux-only.

Debian (and Ubuntu) occasionally gets GRUB updates and needs to mess with the bootloader. In my experience, the Windows Bootloader and Grub seem to "conflict" a lot. You can 100% avoid the issue by dedicating a 2nd hard drive entirely to Linux, while your 1st hard drive is entirely dedicated to Windows. That way, the bootloaders never try to overwrite each other.

Selecting which OS actually starts up by default becomes a BIOS / UEFI issue. Just choose one hard drive to have priority over the other in your motherboard's BIOS / UEFI menu.

System Name KHR-1
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASRock B550 PG Velocita (UEFI-BIOS P3.40)
Memory 32 GB G.Skill RipJawsV F4-3200C16D-32GVR
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT
Storage Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF OLED-ASRock PG27Q15R2A (backup)
Case Corsair 275R
Audio Device(s) Technics SA-EX140 receiver with Polk VT60 speakers
Power Supply eVGA Supernova G3 750W
Mouse Logitech G Pro (Hero)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2
Those aren't drivers, that's just the codec not being included. Because of H.264 and H.265 licensing issues. AV1, FTW!

I'm a dual-booter myself. I highly recommend buying a 2nd SSD for Linux-only.

Debian (and Ubuntu) occasionally gets GRUB updates and needs to mess with the bootloader. In my experience, the Windows Bootloader and Grub seem to "conflict" a lot. You can 100% avoid the issue by dedicating a 2nd hard drive entirely to Linux, while your 1st hard drive is entirely dedicated to Windows. That way, the bootloaders never try to overwrite each other.

Selecting which OS actually starts up by default becomes a BIOS / UEFI issue. Just choose one hard drive to have priority over the other in your motherboard's BIOS / UEFI menu.

With classic MBR, there were annoying problems, yes. But with UEFI, I never had an issue and I'm dual booting for years. Just boot in UEFI mode, format the disk as GPT, install Windows and install Grub in /boot/uefi/. Don't forget to set GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false in /etc/default/grub or Windows won't be detected (some distros set this to true).

My current dual boot install was done 4 years ago, and since then I regularly updated both Windows and Linux with zero problems.

With classic MBR, there were annoying problems, yes. But with UEFI, I never had an issue and I'm dual booting for years. Just boot in UEFI mode, format the disk as GPT, install Windows and install Grub in /boot/uefi/. Don't forget to set GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false in /etc/default/grub or Windows won't be detected (some distros set this to true).

My current dual boot install was done 4 years ago, and since then I regularly updated both Windows and Linux with zero problems.

Then when Windows 10 updates come in, and randomly deletes Grub and replaces it with the Windows bootloader and your Grub configurations no longer work... To be fair, this may have been my Windows 8 -> Windows 10 update that did that, but... yeah. I'm just not willing to deal with that crap anymore if the cost is only $50 for a new 250GB SSD. I have like 8-SATA ports in my motherboard and am only using 3 of them.

You either have to choose Windows's bootloader to be your main (and therefore manage things from the Windows side with c:\boot configuration stuff), or choose Linux to be your main (ie: Grub + /boot/uefi stuff). Either way, Linux might overwrite the bootloader (if you chose Windows to be the main), or Windows might overwrite Grub (if you chose Linux to be the main).

Or just keep em separated.

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Instead of blindly following cookbook-tutorials off the internet they should learn the OS on their own terms and find easier ways to do things, if they want to (or call the professional if they don't, just like with cars and fridges). There's always more than one way to cook an egg. In most cases, for an average user, there is no reason to even open the terminal. Wanna add codecs? Open Software Center or whatever GUI for package manager is there, or download prebuilt binary from online repo. Wanna install drivers - open device driver manager or download it from the manufacturer's website (if available). Wanna install software - same thing. Want to edit config file - open a file manager as admin and do the same thing.

Late reply, but a decade ago I would have agreed with this, but now? Lord no. I just want things to work. I shouldn't have to dig deep in documentation to get a NIC going. It should just work. Neither should I have to hire a professional. And the GUI package managers in at least some distros are god awful. Finding the package online and apt-getting or whatever is the simplest choice, which says a lot.

b) Bad choice of hardware
And this is a huge Linux gripe for me. On every machine I've ran Linux on there has always been something off, hardware wise, and the most common thing has been wireless NICs on machines which on Windows just works. I can run Windows on almost anything and it'll be fine, but fr Linux research is required, and it really sucks.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
I've always encouraged desktop users to stick with the Ubuntu variants. Choose anything else for your server needs but if you simply want to turn on your linux desktop and have it work then go with Ubuntu variants.

System Name Lynni PS \ Lenowo TwinkPad T480
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700 Raphael \ i7-8550U Kaby Lake-R
Motherboard ASRock B650M PG Riptide Bios v. 2.02 AMD AGESA 1.1.0.0 \ Lenowo 20L60036MX Bios 1.47
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black (Only middle fan) \ Lenowo WN-2
Memory G.Skill Flare X5 2x16GB DDR5 6000MHZ CL36-36-36-96 AMD EXPO \ Willk Elektronik 2x16GB 2666MHZ CL17
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX™ 4070 Dual OC GPU: 2325-2355 MEM: 1462| Nvidia GeForce MX™ 150 2GB GDDR5 Micron
Storage Gigabyte M30 1TB|Sabrent Rocket 2TB| HDD: 10TB|1TB \ SKHynix 256GB 2242 3x2 | WD SN700 1TB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 27GP850-B 1440p@165Hz | LG 48CX OLED 4K HDR | AUO 14" 1440p IPS
Case Asus Prime AP201 White Mesh | Lenowo T480 chassis
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 12 M 750W Goldie | 65W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeedy Wireless | Lenowo TouchPad & Logitech G305
Keyboard Akko 3108 DS Horizon V2 Cream Yellow | T480 UK Lumi
Software Win11 Pro 23H2 UK
Benchmark Scores 3DMARK: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/89434432? GPU-Z: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/details/v3zbr
Last Linux based OS I ran at home was PopOS from System76 ran it off a USB to try it on my Dell laptop and it worked great everything worked as far as I can remember no weird issues.

So maybe try as @Frick suggest Ubuntu or another linux instead of Debian.

System Name TheReactor / HTPC
Processor AMD 7800x3d 5050Mhz / Intel 10700kf (5.1ghz All Core)
Motherboard ASrock x670e Taichi / ROG Strix z490-e gaming
Cooling HeatKiller VI CPU/GPU Block -2xBlackIce GTX 360 Radiators - Swiftech MCP655 Pump
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz DDR5 / 32GB G.Skill 3400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3090ti / Nvidia 2080ti
Storage Crucial T700 2TB Gen 5 / Samsung Evo 2Tb
Display(s) Acer Predator xb271hu - 2560x1440 @144hz
Case Corsiar 550
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Antec Quattro 1000W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair Gaming k70
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
I still really like Ubuntu for desktop. Get that and openoffice and you have pretty nice and cheap desktop office machine.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
Late reply, but a decade ago I would have agreed with this, but now?
What difference does it make 10 years later? You want to use an OS, you have to learn an OS. Just like everything else in life.
The most important thing my teachers thought me, is that learning and memorizing aren't the same thing.
Apt may be easier for you, because you are used to it. I'm the same way, cause old habits die hard, but at least I'm aware that there are easier options nowadays.
These "easy options" are the main reason why I'm seeing more and more Linux PCs in random places. Especially if it's work-related, most mundane tasks basically require an OS that can run modern browser.
Another thing that helps, is that local retailers now ship laptops with Elementary or Ubuntu preinstalled on models that previously would've been classified as "no-OS".
And this is a huge Linux gripe for me. On every machine I've ran Linux on there has always been something off, hardware wise, and the most common thing has been wireless NICs on machines which on Windows just works.
"Compatible hardware" is nothing new.
I've been having same issues with lots of hardware on various OSes.
On FreeBSD I can't get my HP NC550 running (even though it should work off the bet), but it works just fine in Ubuntu. My old Asus PCE-N53 adapter didn't work OOB in any OS. Even in Win10 you had to manually install Mediatek driver and fix config files in order to at least have 5GHz or fully functional MIMO 2x2 on 2.4GHz. And I'm not even gonna start on printers and scanners, which work plug'n'play on any Linux distro, but manage not to work or glitch-out on windows all the time. WIA scanners are my worst nightmare. More recent Windows nightmares include bugs with PS/2 support (e.g. non-working keyboards and touchpads on laptops), bugs with built-in dual graphics subsystem, glitches with RNDIS modems etc. etc. etc. Most of those issues require cmd, powershell, or digging through registry in order to get fixed.

In regards to Wireless adapters specifically, I can tell you one thing and one thing only: buy Intel. Modern wifi chipset drivers are usually fine regardless of manufacturer, but when it comes to old garbage from Ralink and Atheros - you have a 99% chance that it won't work. Windows needs a driver, Linux needs a driver, everyone needs a driver, but it's either glitchy or incompatible or needs to be compiled from source. This has nothing to do with Linux or Windows.... it's manufacturer's fault. Another big factor in this, is a series of semiconductor corp acquisitions, in which Ralink ended up with Mediatek and Atheros became part of Qualcomm. Ralink and Atheros weren't that good at supporting their stuff to begin with, and after these mergers lots of stuff got "lost in translation". It may sound funny, but Mediatek did a much better job at this. Over the years they filled in most of the gaps for Ralink products. Better late than never.
Also, don't ever buy laptops with hardware whitelists. Those will make your life even more miserable once parts start to die. If you ever had to replace a WiFi card on old Lenovo or HP lappies, you'd be more than familiar with a sad feeling of "[facepalm] Why do I have to use this?!". Hell, I've seen even weirder things, like Haswell laptops refusing to work with 1.5V DDR3, and telling me in fancy colored letters that I'm stupid.

johnspack

Here For Good!
System Name System2 Blacknet , System1 Blacknet2
Processor System2 Threadripper 1920x, System1 2699 v3
Motherboard System2 Asrock Fatality x399 Professional Gaming, System1 Asus X99-A
Cooling System2 Noctua NH-U14 TR4-SP3 Dual 140mm fans, System1 AIO
Memory System2 64GBS DDR4 3000, System1 32gbs DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) System2 GTX 980Ti System1 GTX 970
Storage System2 4x SSDs + NVme= 2.250TB 2xStorage Drives=8TB System1 3x SSDs=2TB
Display(s) 2x 24" 1080 displays
Case System2 Some Nzxt case with soundproofing...
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U7 MKII
Power Supply System2 EVGA 750 Watt, System1 XFX XTR 750 Watt
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Ducky
Software Manjaro, Windows 10, Kubuntu 23.10
Benchmark Scores It's linux baby!
I will parrot the above... get Ubuntu. And make sure to check install 3rd party drivers during install. You will have all codecs, and all drivers. Amd and Nvidia drivers are also installed out of
the box. You don't need to compile anything. My recommendation, Kubuntu. Debian is for those who don't mind compiling and adding a lot of extra crap. Ubuntu is for those who want a
working desktop out of the box. They both rely on the same repositories, so you get everything in Debian, but actually a lot more.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
And that's exactly why I've stuck to Windows all this time. I dabbled with Linux about 20 years ago, saw these problems and walked away. Alas, it's no better now and I've repeatedly seen the Linux faithful make frustrated complaints like this.

The simple reason is mainstream support. It doesn't matter how good the product is (and Linux on the whole is top notch and very powerful), but if it doesn't have wide / mainstream industry support, then you're stuck with problems like this, which can be intractable. As hard as it is to hear it, that makes the product about as useful as a chocolate teapot. That's the unfortunate situation on the desktop for Linux and has always been that way. I can't see that ever changing.

For Linux, it's home is on web servers and datacentres where it does very well indeed.

Therefore, I recommend that you give up on Linux as your main operating system and move to Windows 10 which is supported by everything.

johnspack

Here For Good!
System Name System2 Blacknet , System1 Blacknet2
Processor System2 Threadripper 1920x, System1 2699 v3
Motherboard System2 Asrock Fatality x399 Professional Gaming, System1 Asus X99-A
Cooling System2 Noctua NH-U14 TR4-SP3 Dual 140mm fans, System1 AIO
Memory System2 64GBS DDR4 3000, System1 32gbs DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) System2 GTX 980Ti System1 GTX 970
Storage System2 4x SSDs + NVme= 2.250TB 2xStorage Drives=8TB System1 3x SSDs=2TB
Display(s) 2x 24" 1080 displays
Case System2 Some Nzxt case with soundproofing...
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U7 MKII
Power Supply System2 EVGA 750 Watt, System1 XFX XTR 750 Watt
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Ducky
Software Manjaro, Windows 10, Kubuntu 23.10
Benchmark Scores It's linux baby!
I've fully switched to linux from windows. I started at windows 3.0. Then came windows 10. Nope. I now use Kubuntu with winehq wine, and I can run all my windows apps, and
a ton of linux apps too. I can run dx10, 11, and 12 games and apps. There's only a few exceptions. I will never use win 10, ms lost my trust with the bs they call win 10 period.
They said if I don't like it, then switch to linux. I did.

And that's exactly why I've stuck to Windows all this time. I dabbled with Linux about 20 years ago, saw these problems and walked away. Alas, it's no better now and I've repeatedly seen the Linux faithful make frustrated complaints like this.

The simple reason is mainstream support. It doesn't matter how good the product is (and Linux on the whole is top notch and very powerful), but if it doesn't have wide / mainstream industry support, then you're stuck with problems like this, which can be intractable. As hard as it is to hear it, that makes the product about as useful as a chocolate teapot. That's the unfortunate situation on the desktop for Linux and has always been that way. I can't see that ever changing.

For Linux, it's home is on web servers and datacentres where it does very well indeed.

Therefore, I recommend that you give up on Linux as your main operating system and move to Windows 10 which is supported by everything.

I have considered paying for SUSE or Red Hat, but they're at least as expensive as Windows.

Turns out that maintaining an OS is hard work. I'm not sure if "community support" is ever going to be good enough for a serious OS. Its not like $100 or even $200 is very costly for what this software does: its literally needed to make any other program run on your computer. There was a time in the 80s when an OS cost $1000+ (until Bill Gates / DOS / Windows came in and set the $100 price point that we're all familiar with now).

EDIT: I just do most of my stuff in Windows these days, and then an Ubuntu install because Linux stuff is still cool (even if its not 100% working all the time). My sound is borked for example in Linux, but that's not an issue since I don't really use the Linux-boot side for anything aside from programming.

Last edited:
System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
I have 2 Linux machines, and I find Mint to be my preferred distro. My desktop works just fine, with no extra effort at all (9700K, B365M, Intel Graphics). My laptop, an XPS 17 9700 took a bit more effort to get sound going (though in the last week has actually been fixed by simply running updates and then using the 5.6 kernel). The only other fix was adding a line to GRUB and a few BIOS tweaks to get S3 sleep.

Laptops are always harder to get going due to each OEM seemingly configuring their stuff a little differently--it's mostly things like integrated items like speakers, mics, webcams, etc. The XPS is actually one of the harder laptops to get sound working, and now it's not so hard, though it's still not automatic depending on the distro. The other big catch is that if you want the latest and greatest hardware, you're probably going to need to run the latest and not-so-greatest kernel to get the most out of it. My XPS has a Canon Lake CPU, so I believe that was part of the issue for me. Majaro rolling release does quite a bit, but I struggle more with Arch.

Really, it's not nearly as hard as it once was, and there's a reason Linux is free and Windows costs money--support for odds and ends falls on the user and the community for Linux. It's really quite amazing just how good it is for being completely free. If you have a lot of specific needs, then Windows might really be your only option, as you would run into some of the same limitations with a Mac, especially the M1 versions.

Late reply, but a decade ago I would have agreed with this, but now? Lord no. I just want things to work. I shouldn't have to dig deep in documentation to get a NIC going. It should just work. Neither should I have to hire a professional. And the GUI package managers in at least some distros are god awful. Finding the package online and apt-getting or whatever is the simplest choice, which says a lot.

And this is a huge Linux gripe for me. On every machine I've ran Linux on there has always been something off, hardware wise, and the most common thing has been wireless NICs on machines which on Windows just works. I can run Windows on almost anything and it'll be fine, but fr Linux research is required, and it really sucks.
Hey, at least on Linux you mostly can use even ancient hardware. Windows may drop the support completely between driver models. Incidentally, my Windows desktop has a NIC (Realtek L8200A) that I can't get to wake up on resume. Could be the specific 10G Netgear switch it's connected to but no power setting, link speed, auto negotiate or other setting on either end did anything. In the end I just decided to install one of my 5G Aquantia cards (that have issues when receiving on Linux; Google seems to point at inter-frame spacing but I haven't found a way to adjust it).

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Hey, at least on Linux you mostly can use even ancient hardware. Windows may drop the support completely between driver models. Incidentally, my Windows desktop has a NIC (Realtek L8200A) that I can't get to wake up on resume. Could be the specific 10G Netgear switch it's connected to but no power setting, link speed, auto negotiate or other setting on either end did anything. In the end I just decided to install one of my 5G Aquantia cards (that have issues when receiving on Linux; Google seems to point at inter-frame spacing but I haven't found a way to adjust it).
Did you update the firmware on your Aquantia cards? Fixed it for me.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I have considered paying for SUSE or Red Hat, but they're at least as expensive as Windows.

Turns out that maintaining an OS is hard work. I'm not sure if "community support" is ever going to be good enough for a serious OS. Its not like $100 or even $200 is very costly for what this software does: its literally needed to make any other program run on your computer. There was a time in the 80s when an OS cost $1000+ (until Bill Gates / DOS / Windows came in and set the $100 price point that we're all familiar with now).

EDIT: I just do most of my stuff in Windows these days, and then an Ubuntu install because Linux stuff is still cool (even if its not 100% working all the time). My sound is borked for example in Linux, but that's not an issue since I don't really use the Linux-boot side for anything aside from programming.
Oh yeah, there's nothing easy about maintaining an OS. I'm so glad that Windows / Microsoft does the heavy lifting automatically. Despite all the problems I hear about patches breaking things, I've had very few problems since I moved to W10 a few years ago. If there's an update, I just let it do its thing and then carry on as if nothing had happened. That's how it should be.