• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Linux Developers Threaten to Pull "Kill Switch"

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
FFS, just want good code, get over that identity politics rubbish!
This will never happen as long at there are arrogant people contributing "good code". :shadedshu:

Man this is getting out of control.
You're not wrong..
This article is designed to rile up certain people, IMO.
Only the "woke" get riled up. The rest of us have a chuckle.
Part of why I stay the frick away from facebook.
Exactly. Facebook has become little more than cesspool run by a bunch of whiny special-snowflake retards who can't tell the difference between their butt and a hole in the ground and frequently have their heads lodged firmly in both.
You could either just be bad at social cues (especially through a screen.. but autistic people especially aren't even known for it face to face) or you could not even know all of the rules.
Then there's some of us who just don't care because..
the rules change day-to-day.
..of this.
I'n Autistic Spectrum and even I know this. You offend someone? Apologize. They still mad? Their problem, not yours.
Oh, you have that backwards. If someone is offended, for whatever reason, they have the problem. If they actually communicate and share the problem with you, that opens the door to a resolution. But in the end regardless of what you did/said, the one offended is the one with the problem, even if the offending action was deliberate. Instead of letting things roll off like water on a duck's back they allow offense to occur. This is always a sign of a lack of mental, emotional or psychological development.

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
Like 1 & 0's through a transistor so are the days of their lives LOL

Not really shocked or surprised. SJW's are infesting every pore of computing industry with their indentity politics BS. Linux is not doing sall that great as it's evolving too slowly and having stupid identity politics injected into it, it'll only get even worse.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Not really shocked or surprised. SJW's are infesting every pore of computing industry with their indentity politics BS. Linux is not doing sall that great as it's evolving too slowly and having stupid identity politics injected into it, it'll only get even worse.

So it's ok to be an asshole professionally? Go to your job, behave like Linus did and see what happens.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
So it's ok to be an asshole professionally? Go to your job, behave like Linus did and see what happens.
Judging by what I've seen... well, I probably wouldn't be fired, but I should be. If that's the case, then I don't see why the Linux community didn't "fire" Linus/refuse to work with him, even if it meant branching off to make their flavor of Linux where Linus isn't involved. But maybe that already happened, considering the many distros available. Anyway, it shouldn't require a "Code of Conduct" to figure that out. I don't need a rulebook to determine if I think someone is an asshole or not... and it seems the loud overbearing SJW people are now targeting the Linux community. Maybe 20 years from now I'll get in trouble for something I said somewhere on the net... :rolleyes:

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
All this talk about inclusion and gender reminds me of high school and the whole dynamic is just about the same as it always was. Pointless.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
They are basically upset because they don't get to call people retards in a profesionally sanctioned environment anymore. Linus was a giant dick and even him thinking about his ways should make others to do the same.
It isn't about this at all.
CoC is so vague you could ban these two for the joke.
Doesn't matter where, doesn't matter when, even context doesn't matter, there is just a set of vague rules, that are vague on purpose.

Pretty sure this initial code of conduct is targeting that far more than the theoretical code of conduct other groups are pushing for.
It is pushed by SJW type former Intel worker, who couldn't care less about code quality.
Did you even check the OP's link?

"The Contributor Covenant is an agreement to implement a special Code of Conduct aimed at changing the predominantly white, straight, and male face of programming. "

It's about genitalia / skin color / sexual orientation of the developers. No f*cks are given about quality of code.
And, Jesus Christ, we are talking about OPEN SOURCE software, created by Linus himself, that anyone can fork and write "better code" for.

"Someone is rude to people" isn't the problem for them. How can you increase "other skin" population like that? The next step would be to set targets start "hiring" based on gender/sexual orientation/race, let them level the field first.

Most coders can control themselves in public.
Yeah. Oh wait.
CoC is a weapon for punishing wrongthink, the way Damore was fired from google.

Linus will fork the mainline and every normal thinking coder wanting to earn money will team up with him.
Sounds too good to be true...

So it's ok to be an asshole professionally?
Stop selling harsh comment as confirmed assholery.

Last edited:
I have and do. One of my jobs, I'm the owner and the boss. At my other job I literally can't be fired without legal action and court judgment. Everyone has bad days, and everyone there has the maturity to understand and often it's just brushed off.

All this talk about inclusion and gender reminds me of high school and the whole dynamic is just about the same as it always was. Pointless.
Wow, we agree. This is really the root of the problem on a generational basis. The Linux CoC nonsense is nothing and means nothing.

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Wow, we agree. This is really the root of the problem on a generational basis. The Linux CoC nonsense is nothing and means nothing.

We have our moments huh :p

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
Regardless if it succeeds or not, the fact that it's already even being used this way is the "weaponization" I was warning about. All you need is a big enough mob to get an issue rolling your way.

I think you are missing the point. It just got used to prevent that mob mentality you are concerned about.

Last edited:
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
I think you are missing the point. It just got used to prevent that mob mentality you are concerned about.

She didn't have a mob yet. It's only a matter time when there will be one though.. maybe not this issue, but something.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Oh, you have that backwards. If someone is offended, for whatever reason, they have the problem. If they actually communicate and share the problem with you, that opens the door to a resolution. But in the end regardless of what you did/said, the one offended is the one with the problem, even if the offending action was deliberate. Instead of letting things roll off like water on a duck's back they allow offense to occur. This is always a sign of a lack of mental, emotional or psychological development.

Not sure I agree with that, and can think of a few pretty clear cut counter examples.

She didn't have a mob yet. It's only a matter time when there will be one though.. maybe not this issue, but something.

I don't see how it'd make much difference to how you enforce the rules.

I have and do.

I understand having bad days but one hopes it's not habitual.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro

The rules themselves aren't even clear and/or subjective. That's why it's better to just base contracts/violations on actual laws. That CAN be hashed out more objectively.

But go on believing it's OK. I honestly don't mind either way. A part of me wants to see a shitshow.

If so called 'arrogant people' contribute good code, then that's their personality. Judging someone as arrogant can be subjective, in that way it''s a never ending story.
"Good code" can also be subjective. :)

Simple fact is: all organizations have rules. These rules often lower effectiveness and raise costs. But it's not their goal to improve productivity (profit). Rules are about sustainability. About public image as well. This is important stuff.

hat

Enthusiast
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Benchmark Scores >9000
The next step would be to set targets start "hiring" based on gender/sexual orientation/race, let them level the field first.

Without going into the other two... what the hell does sexual orientation have to do with a job? That literally should not matter, or be anywhere near a job application form. Though I can see it happening in the future... if not already. Gender or race shouldn't matter either, but as far back as I can remember I've had to fill that out. Short of applying for a form of identification, still not sure why it matters. Why do "they" need data on everybody's gender and race?

Everyone has bad days, and everyone there has the maturity to understand and often it's just brushed off.

If only more people thought this way. I'll just say I was caught up in a scenario once where there were some loud words coming my way. Did I deserve it? Not really... but it also wasn't a big deal. One of the higher ups approached me about it later and I basically declined to make a big stick out of it... not a big deal. And I still get along with that guy. In fact one of my best friends was a guy I disliked once (he didn't like me much either). Sure that type of thing isn't the same as being constantly harassed about just being who you are every day, but some people really could use thicker skin. Not getting all up in arms about everything is a wonderful character trait.

Gender or race shouldn't matter either, but as far back as I can remember I've had to fill that out.
Gender is important for HR stuff - like insurance.
I can't comment on race - I never had to fill it and no one here cares, to be honest. Poland is 99% white.

Big picture, or why sex of employees matters:
Men and women have different predisposition and they excel in different tasks or workflows.
Mixed teams have better results.

Also, as an office worked (typical, financial open-space), I can tell you that working in mixed environment is much nicer in general. There's an observable social degradation in homogeneous teams...

Sexual orientation seems to be irrelevant.
The only thing to consider: statistically homosexual people (mostly men) tend to be more focused on career and successful. They're over-represented on management level.
However, it might simply be an effect of not having children. :)

hat

Enthusiast
Benchmark Scores >9000
I wonder if SJW people would have a problem with that. Now you're classifying groups of people as good at this or that because of who they are (gender, sexual orientation etc) and they're supposed to be good at X. Maybe they should be pushing for abolishing those sections of forms where you fill that kind of stuff in. Although, while there are plenty of anti-discrimination laws in place, I often wonder what would happen if I choose the "prefer not to say" option, if available, on such forums. Because those spaces are there with specific options to fill in, I can't help but think they use them in one way or another in their decision making, otherwise why ask? Why does it matter if I'm gay, straight, or whatever else, or black, white, asian, latino, or even a man or a woman, for that option to even be on said form in the first place?

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
If so called 'arrogant people' contribute good code, then that's their personality. Judging someone as arrogant can be subjective, in that way it''s a never ending story.
I think you took this out of context. Judging is not the point.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
I can't fathom why females and males would code any differently (or race.. or orientation)... assuming they had the same education.

I think you took this out of context. Judging is not the point.
Judging is the point. We all make analysis about human behaviors. A judgment is like a conclusion.
How else to we work in teams?

Big picture, or why sex of employees matters:
Men and women have different predisposition and they excel in different tasks or workflows.
Mixed teams have better results.
:)

Very true, no arguing against DNA. Biological fact.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Status
Not open for further replies.