1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Linux Internet Servers Block Out Vista Users in Sweden

Discussion in 'News' started by zekrahminator, Aug 31, 2007.

1. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Some Internet service providers (ISPs) in Europe use Linux machines to distribute service. A small-town company in Sweden did just that. However, this led to a problem when the servers met Windows Vista customers. The ISP blames a bug in Windows Vista for the inability of Vista users to connect to the internet (possibly related to Vista sending out Internet Packet requests in IPv4 and IPv6 at the same time?).

Microsoft says they would probably be able to fix the problem if Lund officials would get in touch with them.

Source: The Inquirer

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. cdawall

cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    lol leave it to microsoft :roll:

though i bet the ISP has not updated software which lead to this problem as well

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. jocksteeluk

jocksteeluk New Member

Thanks Received:
    The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
    it isn't up to the company to make sure new software is compatible with their hardware its upto M$ to make sure their software is legacy software compatible, if i were the isp i wouldn't assist M$ one bit because no doubt the problem is down to M$ trying to force a new software for purchase on the isp to make the M$ software compatible, if the shoe was on the other foot M$ wouldn't care because customer demand would force them to pay M$ for the assistance to upgrade their hardware or software.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Uhm...fix it anyway?

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    I'm right there with you... Microsoft plays that game where they make everything only run right for them.... So you have vista too ****in bad. Call Microsoft customer service!

Down with the evil!

Heh I should write my websites to send you to an error screen if you run vista :)
    Not really but....

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Demon_82

Demon_82

Thanks Received:
    Actually, if a company provides the ISP service, and it is unable to serve Vista customers, it's a problem of the company, for not having tested it, or not warning that untested software could behave this way. And having up to date servers is also their trouble, not the customers or Microsoft one (specially when the servers don't use Microsoft software). Just bashing Microsoft for every thing that happens is just sad...

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    No its Microsofts problem for not writing legacy code.... This is a standard and its not one Microsoft follows... Remember is their stupid asses that said ".NET" is the international standard and walked out of an international meeting about writing standards....

What a joke... Not blaming Microsoft, it's their own fault and they know it as well as anyone else.

Besides one of the biggest thing I see major love to get it in the rear by Microsoft guys say is-
    Well its in the terms of agreement that blah blah blah blah

Well the ISP has their Terms of Agreement also which states not guaranteed service and check to make sure "your" system is compatible.
    *So on their side its the customers problem*

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    I love how you're yelling at Microsoft for not having backwards-compatible stuff, when being backwards-compatible is the only reason they haven't completely scrapped Windows and started something new.

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    I'll bet my left eye that sever 2003 is also affected then:eek::confused::eek:

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Probably not.... Microsoft generally writes their server software correctly *minus .Net* simply because big corporations would "sue" the crap out of them if they didn't.

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    I'm not 4 sure but doesnt server 2003 use IPv4 and IPv6 ? I actually thought thats where it was first.

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Hahaha. WEll and truely deserving of dilligaf. :D

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. VistaViewer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just another example of Linux Bigotry!

These people are like termites, eating their way thru the Internet infrastructure and even society itself.

And the really sad thing is that they seem to think that their beloved OS is SO GREAT that everyone should be using it!

Well, which of the 2,000+ versions of Linux are they harping about now?

LMFAO

VV

14. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    The problem most likely comes down to the fact that Vista uses IPv6 and sends requests out in IPv6 AND IPv4. IPv6 is not a Microsoft standard, Microsoft is providing backwards compatibility by still including IPv4 support.

The fault is the IPS's. Their servers should be updated to work with IPv6, an International NON-MICRSOFT standard.

IPv6 is available in Server 2003, but not by default. So it is probably only affect if you enable IPv6 support, which most do not do. Sever 2008 is probably affect though, as it uses the same TCP/IP stack as Vista.

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU