• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Linux Preferences

System Name Magicbox
Processor Phenom 965 (3.8GHz)
Motherboard M5A97
Cooling Thermaltake Frio + AC Twin Turbo II
Memory 4x8GB DDR3 (1600MHz)
Video Card(s) HD7850 (1000/1250)
Storage 2TB + 1TB
Display(s) Acer 20.1" LED
Case HAF 912
Audio Device(s) Xonar DX
Power Supply Silent Pro 850W
Software Kubuntu + Windows 7
There are graphical interfaces for xrandr, which covers all your display/resolution options. There is driconf, which covers mesa options (3D settings). I haven't seen an interface for handling DDX drivers themselves; there are more than a few advanced options for drivers that still require the user to do manual editing of configuration files; these options are usually auto-configured by X depending on your device, so most of the time it "just works" and there is little need for extra tweaking; a GUI for debuging purposes would be useful for some, but then again, if you're trying to fix your driver the last thing you need is a GUI.
I agree though, that an all purpose GUI would still be useful. I would love to have a single interface that would link me to my DDX driver's manual and at least list all available options, that integrates one of the xrandr graphical interfaces, includes driconf for mesa cofiguration, and even links me to xorg.conf with a click.

Last edited:

Clement

System Name Work Horse
Processor E5200@3.000@1.2 (12.5x240) (Limited by mobo mem volts) ::[Evil Glare]-I'm gonna mod you!::
Motherboard 4COREDUAL-SATA2 R2
Cooling AC Freezer Pro 7; AC Accelero S1 <-These two are bad ass!
Memory (2gb G.Skill F2-8500-CL5D-2GBPK) @ 1.9v/320MHz/3:4/4-4-4-10-16-2T
Video Card(s) X1950GT 621/729 (Will do more)
Storage Seagate 320; 2x1TB WD
Display(s) ViewSonic 19" Widescreen
Case Black, Sturdy.
Audio Device(s) Onboard DAC works great.
Power Supply Enermax EG365P-VE
Software Fedora x64; WinXP32
Benchmark Scores Once, I programmed for a little over 22.5 hours straight.
There are graphical interfaces for xrandr, which covers all your display/resolution options. There is driconf, which covers mesa options (3D settings). I haven't seen an interface for handling DDX drivers themselves; there are more than a few advanced options for drivers that still require the user to do manual editing of configuration files; these options are usually auto-configured by X depending on your device, so most of the time it "just works" and there is little need for extra tweaking; a GUI for debuging purposes would be useful for some, but then again, if you're trying to fix your driver the last thing you need is a GUI.
I agree though, that an all purpose GUI would still be useful. I would love to have a single interface that would link me to my DDX driver's manual and at least lists all available options, that integrates one of the xrandr graphical interfaces, includes driconf for mesa cofiguration, and even links me to xorg.conf with a click.

My application idea would address the specific issue I highlighted in bold in your quote above, and then some.

After tweaking my own setup from researched options, I received a significant increase in video performance on my box.

The idea also arose because newer linux installations are not properly configuring older video cards (at least on mine). Fedora 11 and 12 both tried to use the radeonhd driver (12 tried on graphical install and failed to launch!!!) which gave me a blank screen because my card is not supported.

I also had thought earlier to include a small benchmark utility to test/compare results for the user to review.

Because sometimes video just doesn't work, I was thinking of using the ncurses library so that a library would not be necessary. I will ask for opinions when I create the new thread.

As for debugging, do you mean to show log files easily to the user? (of course there would be an advanced mode also)

Thank you very much for the suggestion near the end, VERY good idea!

I may begin working on this tomorrow. My father and I have planned a day of snowmobiling so it will be in the afternoon/evening that I will create a thread for this project and start taking suggestions/configurations/etc.

Last edited:
System Name Magicbox
Processor Phenom 965 (3.8GHz)
Motherboard M5A97
Cooling Thermaltake Frio + AC Twin Turbo II
Memory 4x8GB DDR3 (1600MHz)
Video Card(s) HD7850 (1000/1250)
Storage 2TB + 1TB
Display(s) Acer 20.1" LED
Case HAF 912
Audio Device(s) Xonar DX
Power Supply Silent Pro 850W
Software Kubuntu + Windows 7
I remember a small qt GUI that would let you switch DDX drivers. I remember it being included on older Kubuntu and Fedora builds. Allowing the user to view their Xorg.0.log would be useful too.

Clement

System Name Work Horse
Processor E5200@3.000@1.2 (12.5x240) (Limited by mobo mem volts) ::[Evil Glare]-I'm gonna mod you!::
Case Black, Sturdy.
What distro(s) do you use??
Fedora x64

Rolling or Fixed release??
Fixed

Do you use a Graphical Login or command line (run level 3 or 5)??

What Desktop Environment and or Window Manager do you use?? (ex. Gnome, KDE, Xfce, etc...)
Primarily: Xfce 4.6.1

What Web Browser(s) do you use??
Firefox/Lynx/Opera

Do you run multiple Desktops?? If so how many?? (ex. 4 is the normal default)

What editor do you prefer?? (ex. GEdit, Emacs, Vi/Vim, Mousepad, etc...)
Vim/mousepad

What if any servers (services) do you run?? (ex. Samba, Apache, Telnet, etc..)
Apache/MySQL/PHP (PHP development)

Do you prefer the Command Line or GUI for most tasks??
GUI: Web browsing, Research, Etc.
CLI: Programming, everything else

If you use a shell(s), which is/are your favorite(s)?? (ex. Bash, ksh, tclsh, zsh, etc...)
Bash and recently tclsh

Do you use cron/crontab??
Mostly just for Rsync backups

I've switched to the Xfce WM and desktop and removed the bloat from Gnome and KDE. I didn't think it was possible, but things are even faster than before!!!!

Odin Eidolon

Processor e6300 @ 3000, stock Volts
Motherboard msi p35 neo2-FIR
Cooling HDT-1283
Memory 2gb tracers 1066 micron d9GMH, cooled by a modded CoolIt Memory Cooler
Video Card(s) HIS 4850 ICEQ4
Storage WD Caviar 16 320gb WDAAKS + 640gb WDAAKS
Case CM RC-690 sligthly modded
Power Supply Bequiet darkpower PRO 850W (say overkill? :D)
Software kubuntu 8.10 + Windows XP, soon Windows 7 too
For you linux users...

I find user preferences VERY interesting.
Let us know about your system and or answer some of these questions if you like.

1. What distro(s) do you use??
  2. Rolling or Fixed release??
  3. Do you use a Graphical Login or command line (run level 3 or 5)??
  4. What Desktop Environment and or Window Manager do you use?? (ex. Gnome, KDE, Xfce, etc...)
  5. What Web Browser(s) do you use??
  6. Do you run multiple Desktops?? If so how many?? (ex. 4 is the normal default)
  7. What editor do you prefer?? (ex. GEdit, Emacs, Vi/Vim, Mousepad, etc...)
  8. What if any servers (services) do you run?? (ex. Samba, Apache, Telnet, etc..)
  9. Do you prefer the Command Line or GUI for most tasks??
  10. If you use a shell(s), which is/are your favorite(s)?? (ex. Bash, ksh, tclsh, zsh, etc...)
  11. Do you use cron/crontab??

(laptop)
1- Like you, Arch
2- Rolling
3- Kdm
4- Kde 4.4 + Enlightenment
5- Firefox
6- 4
7- Nano
8- None
9- Both
10- Yakuake
11- Not much

I have even installed Pardus on my Mum's machine, Ubuntu on the gf's notebook, Puppy on an old (32mb RAM!) laptop, Ubuntu on my desktop, Kubuntu on my brother's laptop and (soon to be) Elive on father's laptop. I'm considering to try out something else (centos, opensuse, debian, knoppix: never tried them) but ATM I have no time.

Last edited:

regexorcist

System Name Slackware Linux
Processor yes
Motherboard yes
Cooling currently convection, but considering mineral oil
Memory sometimes fails due to too much beer
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD5570 series
Storage IDE
Display(s) 32" LCD TV
Case sometimes
Audio Device(s) huh? what? speak up, I can't hear you
Power Supply yes
Software Slackware running Open-Source software (it doesn't get any better)
(laptop)1- Like you, Arch
Arch is currently my favorite distro!! :D

10- Yakuake
First I've heard of Yakuake, sounds cool :cool:

I have even installed Pardus on my Mum's machine, Ubuntu on the gf's notebook, Puppy on an old (32mb RAM!) laptop, Ubuntu on my desktop, Kubuntu on my brother's laptop and (soon to be) Elive on father's laptop. I'm considering to try out something else (centos, opensuse, debian, knoppix: never tried them) but ATM I have no time.
Nice variety Odin :)

It seems, people are more willing to try linux, when they have
an experienced user available in case they have any problems.

Usually they don't need any help ;)

Odin Eidolon

Cooling HDT-1283
Arch is currently my favorite distro!! :D

First I've heard of Yakuake, sounds cool :cool:

Nice variety Odin :)

It seems, people are more willing to try linux, when they have
an experienced user available in case they have any problems.

Usually they don't need any help ;)

Yep, Arch rocks, you only have to set it up well and you have probably one of the best Linux systems possible.
Yakuake is only a terminal emulator based on Konsole, though its very pretty. Try it out!

I like to test as much distros as possible... guess what, they are all great! I prefer Arch too but every distro has some unique characterstic which makes it wonderful.

I love to spread the Linux Word around to my friends and relatives: actually I converted around 10 people, and all of them is very happy with it. Anyway we have, in Italy, plenty of LUGs (Linux User Group) which help for free installing and using Linux. Even in the town where I live (40000 people in a very big area) there are three of them. So support is avaiable for sure.

Clement

System Name Work Horse
Case Black, Sturdy.
Yep, Arch rocks, you only have to set it up well and you have probably one of the best Linux systems possible.
Yakuake is only a terminal emulator based on Konsole, though its very pretty. Try it out!

I like to test as much distros as possible... guess what, they are all great! I prefer Arch too but every distro has some unique characterstic which makes it wonderful.

I love to spread the Linux Word around to my friends and relatives: actually I converted around 10 people, and all of them is very happy with it. Anyway we have, in Italy, plenty of LUGs (Linux User Group) which help for free installing and using Linux. Even in the town where I live (40000 people in a very big area) there are three of them. So support is avaiable for sure.

I am installing Kahel linux as soon as its done burning the disk. Only reason I didn't just use Arch is because Kahel comes with Xfce included :D

I love the simplicity of Arch vs Fedora. I also became tired of SElinux being so tightly wound into the fedora core. Arch provides the simplicity and power that I require.

I would have acquired Scientific linux, but it does not include Xfce by default.

Odin Eidolon

Cooling HDT-1283
I am installing Kahel linux as soon as its done burning the disk. Only reason I didn't just use Arch is because Kahel comes with Xfce included :D

I love the simplicity of Arch vs Fedora. I also became tired of SElinux being so tightly wound into the fedora core. Arch provides the simplicity and power that I require.

I would have acquired Scientific linux, but it does not include Xfce by default.

However you can always install XFCE later, cant you? :confused:
Never used Fedora, but was seriously considering trying out Scientific. Pretty bad I only have a 60GB SSD in my laptop or I would install it.
Arch is great because of the freedom it gives you imho. Install ONLY what you want, only what you need, and take the responsability for your own system.

regexorcist

System Name Slackware Linux
Processor yes
Motherboard yes
Cooling currently convection, but considering mineral oil
Memory sometimes fails due to too much beer
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD5570 series
Storage IDE
Display(s) 32" LCD TV
Case sometimes
Audio Device(s) huh? what? speak up, I can't hear you
Power Supply yes
Software Slackware running Open-Source software (it doesn't get any better)
Arch is great because of the freedom it gives you imho. Install ONLY what you want, only what you need, and take the responsability for your own system.
Exactly Odin :)

I have Xfce for one particular login and JWM for another.

I do not have Gnome or KDE installed, but I do have
a few KDE apps. installed

only what I want, only what I need!!

Clement

System Name Work Horse
Case Black, Sturdy.
However you can always install XFCE later, cant you? :confused:
Never used Fedora, but was seriously considering trying out Scientific. Pretty bad I only have a 60GB SSD in my laptop or I would install it.

Yes, but I have been trying a lot of different distributions to change from fedora (too many bugs with too new of software), and I grew tired of having to install/configure again and again and again.

Exactly Odin :)

I have Xfce for one particular login and JWM for another.

I do not have Gnome or KDE installed, but I do have
a few KDE apps. installed

only what I want, only what I need!!

Agreed.

I have settled onto Linux Mint Xfce edition for now, I agree with their design/development/open source modal as apposed to Ubuntu. Not too much to un-install and none of the problems I had with fedora installing multiple applications to do the same task (too many different complex libraries needed for each - I like simple ones - Eg. Xfce requires at bare minimum imlib and an X setup. Amen!)

After so much time using linux with rpm package management, I am skeptical although open minded about switching to the apt/deb system.

When I have the time I am also going to resize for more space to try FreeBSD.

I have also switched to developing/learning GTK programming with Glade.

My time resources are a bit more constricted now that I have physical therapy 3 times a week.

In time I will see where this setup goes, but my initial impressions are that I believe I've found my new workstation environment.