• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

LLC on Z370 motherboards, phases listed by MSI --question, and a picture!!!

Processor i7-7820hk
Cooling Noctua Thermal Paste on Everything!
Memory 16(2x8GB) DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1070 8GB (full 1070 not max-q) +150 on core 2000 boosted
Storage Micron 1100 2TB SSD
Display(s) 17.3" 100hz IPS GSYNC
Audio Device(s) Audeze Mobius, Planar Magnetic
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO 10 Year Edition
Keyboard G610 Cherry Mx Red
https://www.msi.com/blog/LLC_what_i...motherboards_the_best_choice_for_overclocking

So this website here shows the different MSI Z370 lineup motherboards, etc.

So if I am reading everything right, Performance Gaming motherboards have more phases than say the Pro series as seen in the picture below... so basically your telling me a cheaper motherboard (the MSI Z370 Gaming Plus) overclocks better than the Z370 SLI Plus, even though Gaming Plus doesn't support SLI, and has no gen 2 USB ports and the SLI Plus does...

I don't understand this at all. Is MSI just bad at placing products right, or should I aim for a Performance Gaming Mobo listed in the section below if I want the best possible overclocking on a 8700k?

To make it more clear, the article states the Enthusiast gaming has more phases than performance, and performance more than arsenal, etc.

So my question is, why is a cheap and less quality motherboard like the Gaming Plus have more phases than the more expensive SLI Plus Pro series... ugh these companies frustrate me so much.

Edit : I just checked and the gaming plus has a 6 phase, and everything else in performance category in picture is 10 phase, MSI has no 11 or 12 phase, and Godlike is 18 phase.... wow... ok enough of this I need to get a new hobby LOL @erocker feel free to lock thread, I answered my own question/confusion

Last edited: