• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Logitech G5 restoration and tweaks

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Greetings, fellow TPUers!

In celebration of upcoming summer, and as a preliminary preparation for Quake Champions release, I have decided to restore the most legendary best gaming super-mouse ever (besides an old-school MS Intellimouse): Logitech G5.

This is what it looked like an hour ago:

IMAG1336.jpg IMAG1337.jpg IMAG1338.jpg

It's a 9y.o. mouse with the last maintenance done about 2 years ago. USB cable have been previously replaced to a sturdier one, generously donated by a semi-decent chinese gaming mouse. The rest is 100% original (including switches).

As you can see, there is some wear on the top surface, lots of dirt, grime and besides obvious visual defects it also suffers from a non-working MB4/MB5, malfunctioning scroll wheel and jumpy laser. Also, there are no teflon sliders on the bottom. Instead, those placement pads are also filled with dirt :banghead:

The main goal of this thread is to fix the damn thing, and give you some insight if you want to attempt a similar project on the same or maybe even a totally different mouse. It's all easy, cheap and takes very little time.

Let's start.

DISASSEMBLY

First, we need to remove all bottom screws and take off the top part. With G5 it's a bit tricky and counterintuitive: you need to pry it from the very front of the housing, right where the USB cable latches between two parts.
IMAG1339.jpg

For over 2 years this mouse was without maintenance, so just try to imagine what's going on inside :shadedshu:
I was expecting it to be bad, but I did not expect it to be that bad!
IMAG1340.jpg IMAG1341.jpg IMAG1342.jpg
Next, we remove a couple of screws and detach the weight cartridge. Also, we can take that nasty scrollwheel out by removing the front screw.
Two more screws (Top right and bottom middle), and the mainboard pops out with a cable, lens assy and a tiny spring.

IMAG1344.jpg IMAG1346.jpg
Now, we can finally clean the bottom housing. I'm using dish soap and warm water, followed by a thorough isopropyl cleaning.
IMAG1345.jpg

....to be continued in the next post...

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
Next, we disassemble the top part
IMAG1351.jpg IMAG1352.jpg
All parts definitely have to undergo the same cleaning process: soap+water, then isopropyl.

PREPARATIONS, INSPECTION AND TWEAKS

This part relates only to this particular mouse, but anyway.... let's look at the mainboard again:
IMAG1346_ed.jpg

- If your backlight is broken, or you want to remove the backlight, those LEDs on the right are the ones to mess with. There is no easy way to stick RGB backlight, or even replace them with a different color, because the transparent plastic on the bottom is orange. The only exception for G5 is if you put blue LEDs, it will make the backlight "something between magenta and purple".
- If you have faulty LMB/RMB or the side button, you can replace those, but it will take some labor and effort.
All three of those are Omron D2FC-F-7N. In order to replace those you will need to detach both PCBs from each other, which means you'll need a soldering iron, flux, solder pump, desoldering wick and lots of patience. Before you attempt this, try simply washing those switches with lots of isopropyl and click a few dozen times before it evaporates. All of my broken switches came back to life almost immediately.
- Four other switches are also Omron-made (B3FS series). Those are SMD mounted and can be replaced without separating two mainboard PCBs.
- The middle switch is the trickiest one. It's very hard to find replacement, and it is hard to de-solder in case of failure. However, if you have a hot air rework station, you can remove it without separating two PCBs, and you can replace it with a taller switch (like those generic buttons some of you buy for Arduino projects). The only modifications you'll need to perform is flatten all four feet of the switch, solder it in place and remove(clip) the push pin from the scroll wheel.

Links to proper replacement parts:

Omron D3F
Omron B3FS

Just remember - buy from a trusted electronics parts retailer. E.g. go to DigiKey or Arrow, not eBay or Amazon. There are tons of fake Omron switches, or no-name compatible switches which break after 2-3 sessions of Dota or worse.

In regards to tweaks... There is at least one very useful thing you can do right away. Both PCBs of the mainboard are only connected on one side, so over time the LMB starts to feel a bit loose and wobbly due to PCB flexing. All you need is to put a rubber pad on the loose side and it's good for a few more years.
IMAG1347.jpg

Now it's time to clean the scroll wheel assembly.
First, we pop the wheel out of the frame and carefully disassemble it. The scroll wheel in this mouse is optical, so we need to make sure that all sensor holes are 100% clear for smooth operation.
Also remember, that there is a single ball bearing inside the wheel. Don't lose it, cause that is a part of a mechanism that makes it "click" and keeps it in place.
I would also like to say that if you want to go all-in on cleaning, do not under any circumstances remove the rubber "tire" from the wheel. I did it, and f%$ed it up badly (definitely needs a replacement). :banghead:

IMAG1350.jpg

After a nice isopropyl bath you can put it together. Just don't forget the lube :laugh: (preferably non-liquid type)
Now we can assemble the bottom part and all of the electronics back together and put it aside for awhile...
IMAG1349.jpg

LET'S TALK 'BOUT PRETTY THINGS

All we have left, is to do something about that cleaned up, but still ugly top part.
IMAG1354.jpg IMAG1355.jpg

First, I did smooth it out with some fine sandpaper (had a leftover 1000 grit piece)
Second, you need to give it another cleaning and let it dry for a few minutes.

And now, the most interesting part!
IMAG1363.jpg
... in the next post... :laugh:

Last edited:

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
That orange thing above is a piece of vinyl sticker. You can buy this crap for mere pennies in any hobby shop, on ebay (yep, this is relatively safe to buy on eBay, unlike "genuine" Omron switches). I know, orange looks ugly on its own, but I had a plan!!! Just in case I bought an extra piece of black vinyl, but the way it looks now is much better than I expected.

For this procedure you'll need a pair of hands and a hot air gun (or your wife's hair dryer, if you are short on tools).

First, we start applying vinyl to the topmost piece of the mouse housing and start stretching the vinyl, while periodically applying heat to it. It won't be perfect the first time, but if you mess it up, you can either heat up that area, peel and stretch it again. If you have small air bubbles - just puncture it with a needle and apply some heat: it will disappear in front of your eyes.

The final touch: cut the leftovers with a scalpel, paper knife or a box cutter.

The end result should look like this:
IMAG1356.jpg

And when we put it all together, it looks even more awesome:
IMAG1357.jpg

Now, we can put it all together, and add a final touch: a pair of brand-new mouse shoes!
IMAG1358.jpg IMAG1359.jpg

Now, I'm totally ready for another round of Quake Champions beta, and my G5 does not look like it just came out of the dumpster.

IMAG1361.jpg IMAG1360.jpg

Thank you for your attention!

Last edited:
System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
The reserved posts are ok, you can also beat it by uploading everything via http://www.techpowerup.org/ and then inserting them into your post.

I'll be watching with interest, if you do a rubbish job I might have to abuse my mod powers to punish you! :nutkick: :laugh: No pressure!

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
Phew... it took me more time to write the damn thing than to fix the mouse itself!
I'm gonna go get some coffee. :toast:

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
Nice job, vinyl is a good idea, should be pretty hard wearing.

Next job: kick ass in Quake! :rockout:

bassman5066

@silentbogo thank you for the writeup here. The G5 I have was my first gaming mouse ever back in something like 2007, and it has NEVER been serviced. All buttons are working, but the USB cable has seen better days. I was lucky to score one for $8.99 on Amazon. I've not decided if I want to do the outside at the moment, but likely will as I am no stranger to paint projects. Anyway, the reason for my reply is you said something about laser jitter, but it was never addressed in your writeup. Was this simply fixed by cleaning out the laser? I get it from time to time and wasn't sure if it was due to dirt or the optics failing?

I am afraid to see how dirty mine is inside :eek:

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
that scroll wheels looks pretty good after years

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
Anyway, the reason for my reply is you said something about laser jitter, but it was never addressed in your writeup.
It went away on its own after re-assembly. Though, I did clean the laser module and lens (gave it an IPA bath and scrubbed with soft cotton). I also did a little touch-up on suspicious solder pads along the way, including laser module wires.
Since then I've also replaced all buttons. Went to our local electronic parts retailer and they just happened to have everything in stock in their store, including several flavors of original Omron switches, and that stupid SMD switch for MMB. Finally got everything working (LMB,RMB,MMB, scroll side-clicks etc.)

that scroll wheels looks pretty good after years
I'm still having minor issues because of that messed-up rubber tire (it works, but doesn't feel right), so I'm planning on getting a new one at some point. Found few original G5 scroll wheels on Aliexpress, all complete with standoffs and other parts. It's almost $7, but for me it's 100% worth it.

zac

Found few original G5 scroll wheels on Aliexpress
@silentbogo I also messed up my scroll wheel rubber tire, though I can't find an original G5 scroll wheel anywhere.

The closest I could find on Aliexpress is a G500 or a G502 wheel, which I guess would work, though I would rather the original.

If you could send a link / exact search term that would be awesome!

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
@silentbogo I also messed up my scroll wheel rubber tire, though I can't find an original G5 scroll wheel anywhere.
There are still some listings on aliexpress. Lemme check my bookmarks, I think I had it saved somewhere.

EDIT:
my bookmark is out of stock, but apparently it's compatible with M305/M505 and few other models, so any one of these should work:

At least on pictures they look identical.

zac

Thanks, I ordered one. Will see how it goes in a couple of months when it arrives.

zac

Just a followup - The wheel I ordered looks very similar. I didn't end up using it as after about a week the rubber on the original wheel went back to its original shape and you can't tell that it was stretched out before and it's no longer loose.

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
The original main Omron switches; do you know for how many clicks they are speced for?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I am glad your mouse lasted as long as it did and I sure doing this project for yourself however i had two of them, one suffer double-clicking and the other one died outside of 30 days so I wound up going back to my mx510 and then I picked up a Roccat Kone LTD, which field quite a bit like the mx 510 I had

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
The original main Omron switches; do you know for how many clicks they are speced for?
The original ones were D2FC-F-7N(10M), so 10 million clicks, but that switch also has 20M and 50M models. Knockoffs usually go as high as 20M, but the spec is a lie. Even new original omrons don't last that long and with light abuse the metal membrane can snap long before rated clicks.

I am glad your mouse lasted as long as it did and I sure doing this project for yourself however i had two of them, one suffer double-clicking and the other one died outside of 30 days so I wound up going back to my mx510 and then I picked up a Roccat Kone LTD, which field quite a bit like the mx 510 I had
That's a good mouse too. If you have those G5's laying around, it's probably a 30 minute fix for both. Electronics is pretty much everlasting, so the only thing that could've gone wrong with the second G5 is a broken cable. Replacing switches on the first one is quite straightforward. Even if you aren't planning on using them - you can always sell'em to oldschool G-series fans.
Just a followup - The wheel I ordered looks very similar. I didn't end up using it as after about a week the rubber on the original wheel went back to its original shape and you can't tell that it was stretched out before and it's no longer loose.
That's cool. I think what happened, is it was misaligned(there is a groove on a plastic insides). At least now you'll have a "spare tire" )))
I didn't get to replacing the scroll wheel on mine. It's been sitting on the shelf at my workshop for the past year.

zac

That's cool. I think what happened, is it was misaligned(there is a groove on a plastic insides).
The first time I put it back on the grooves were misaligned, but I did fix that up before putting it back together. When I took the rubber off the wheel (and then put it back on correctly), it seemed like it was stretched, the sides didn't lay down completely flat with the curve of the wheel and I could feel the rubber slip on the wheel if I moved fast enough. Glad I have a spare wheel now though. You should test that wheel out for me and let me know if I have the right one. =)

I am glad your mouse lasted as long as it did and I sure doing this project for yourself however i had two of them, one suffer double-clicking
Before cleaning my mouse the scroll click would occasionally either double click or not click at all. After cleaning with the isopropyl alcohol I haven't had any issues. Mines still got the original switches too and I have been using it for about 15 years on my home PC.

System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Motherboard Msi b550m Mortar +WiFi
Cooling Cryorig m9
Memory Crucial Ballistix c16 B-die 2x8gb
Video Card(s) Powercolor rx570 4gb
Storage WD black sn750 256gb (OS), crucial mx500 1tb(storage),Hitatchi ?? 7200rpm 500gb(Temp files)
Display(s) Samsung 65" TU7100
Case Zzaw b3
Audio Device(s) Yamaha rx-v363
Power Supply Corsair sf750
Mouse Logitech g300s
Keyboard Custom Skyloong sk64s
Software Windows 11Pro
Great job @silentbogo makes me want to restore some peripherals now but my g5, collection of R.A.T mice and other older hardware are 9000km away in my parents attic though I should be Knee deep in projects in a week or two.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
The original ones were D2FC-F-7N(10M), so 10 million clicks, but that switch also has 20M and 50M models. Knockoffs usually go as high as 20M, but the spec is a lie. Even new original omrons don't last that long and with light abuse the metal membrane can snap long before rated clicks.

That's a good mouse too. If you have those G5's laying around, it's probably a 30 minute fix for both. Electronics is pretty much everlasting, so the only thing that could've gone wrong with the second G5 is a broken cable. Replacing switches on the first one is quite straightforward. Even if you aren't planning on using them - you can always sell'em to oldschool G-series fans.

That's cool. I think what happened, is it was misaligned(there is a groove on a plastic insides). At least now you'll have a "spare tire" )))
I didn't get to replacing the scroll wheel on mine. It's been sitting on the shelf at my workshop for the past year.
The double click and suddenly dying made me go elsewhere.