• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

LONG: ECS NFORCE4M-A I/O OS Issues

dickinson.jonathan

Hi Everyone,

I just purchased an NFORCE4M-A motherboard with an AM2 AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (boxed) and 1 1GB DDRII 667 module. I installed a SIS Trident PCI screen card (currently aquiring a PCI-E screen card).

At first the system did not post, but I fixed this by changing the position of the memory module (it seems as though if you have 1 module you must use the correct slot, for each color-coded pair of slots on the mobo).

I then went about installing 32bit Windows XP Pro on my IDE HDD (IDE CD too, should I maybe get a SATA HDD?) and came up with some rather strange errors. It goes into the installer fine, formats, but when it comes to copying the boostrap files it gives copy errors on certain files (specific to the CD I am using, because I have two backups and the original) which eventually copy if I keep hitting retry. I did try another CDROM and HDD and tried different configuration with the IDE cables and other IDE cables. First thought: memory corruption, so I popped in my Linux CD and ran Memtest-86 (maybe I should look for a 64bit version?) and it found no errors after 3 full tests. I tried to install Linux and it failed on the first package.

I tried to install Windows in any case, and manged to get it to boot into the main setup section and when it started installing devices it was unhappy with the signing on the drivers (asking each time if I wanted to install an unsigned driver), with all the _Microsoft_ drivers. This did not happen with all the CDs, the original had no signing issues (it has no updates on it). I carried on and got into Windows (PC boots nice and quick by the way :) ). Then MMC didn't work and some programs kept crashing. I then tried a BIOS update to 1.1G (most recent) and the same happened. But this time MMC was fine but I couldn't install the .Net framework (REQUIRED) due to signing issues. Remembering the original CD had no signing issues, I put that one on and still had signing issues with .Net framework installer once Windows was installed.

Right now I am installing XP on a second machine (using the same CDs and HDD), will SYSPREP it and move the HDD into the new computer and see what happens then. But I won't like it, even if it works, because I know there is a problem somewhere there. Windows is installing fine on the second machine.

Any ideas? I've exhausted my list. One last thing, my PSU is 300W, but I only have a CDROM and HDD and a PCI screen card, and I don't expect power shortages would manifest themselves in this fasion anyway (especially with the specific files in setup), could I be wrong?

Thanks guys!
Jonathan Dickinson