• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking for 2 programs

Hello, i am looking for 2 programs and i hope you can give me some suggestions:

1) i need a program that will log all the network activity from my files or maybe just files in a certain folder. I know that is a lot of data so i will just run it for minutes to collect the data i am interested in. What i need it to do is log the IP adress to which a file did or tried to communicate with and a port on my end that he tried to do it through. A timestamp wouldn't hurt.

2) a program that will deny internet access to all files within a folder. Let's say a folder is full of files that we certanly don't want to do anything networky behind our backs, windows firewall would take a long time to block every single file. It would be great to block the entire folder off. And if this program can also alert us at which point which file tried to do what, that would be a plus.

I hope someone knows of some proper mini fan made app, that can make this for me

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
So this is literally what firewalls are. Or even IPS systems. I am assuming you are on windows?

Are you sharing files in some fashion?

Is this a web server?

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
Hello, i am looking for 2 programs and i hope you can give me some suggestions:

1) i need a program that will log all the network activity from my files or maybe just files in a certain folder. I know that is a lot of data so i will just run it for minutes to collect the data i am interested in. What i need it to do is log the IP adress to which a file did or tried to communicate with and a port on my end that he tried to do it through. A timestamp wouldn't hurt.

2) a program that will deny internet access to all files within a folder. Let's say a folder is full of files that we certanly don't want to do anything networky behind our backs, windows firewall would take a long time to block every single file. It would be great to block the entire folder off. And if this program can also alert us at which point which file tried to do what, that would be a plus.

I hope someone knows of some proper mini fan made app, that can make this for me
Usually router/firewall as mentioned.

Try small net builder forums, might be some info there.

I used netlimiter to get the answers i needed, its a firewall (of sorts). That solved the network part. Now i need this:

1) a program of sorts, that will run an exe file and then look over its back (debugging of sorts) and tell which files that program accessed (read/write).
2) same as above, only for read/write of windows register

Im using windows here and i sort of like to know whats doing what from time to time. I dont have any issues, i just like to have the tools to know whats going on and limit if necesary. A simple example: i have foxit reader (free pdf reader) and winamp (free audio/video player). I checked every single thing i could in settings of both programs to tell them that i dont want them updating, i dont want them doing any kind of net service for me. Now obviously i blocked both in firewall but i still wondered if they even tried to do anything online after i asked them not to. They both did. And then i went wondering, lets say you run an .exe program and you limit it in firewall, preventing it from net traffic. If you run the .exe as administrator, what stops this .exe to just run another .exe in its folder and do net traffic through it. Im interested in this, none of this is doing harm to me - i got good connection so i can handle foxit reader and winamp doing chitchat. But i like to research how its being done, for my own pleasure :)

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.

procmon

you may also be interested in other tools that are part of that suite

procmon

you may also be interested in other tools that are part of that suite
Thank you ! It took me till now to check this program because i kind of gave up on getting what i needed. This program is amazing. It is exactly what i was looking for and more ! I am testing it right now to see if i can catch the event that is bothering me.

In the meanwhile, here is the reason i think everyone needs this program. Look at foxit reader. You know, i did disable its auto update function. I told it to not do anything, anything beside open a pdf once a week when i click on it. Yet, it appears to try to write something into its .txt file, probably a log. It tries to do that about 50 times a second, fails it appears, but doesn't give up. It will give me great pleasure in figuring out a way to prevent this program to do anything in the background :)

Tnx, i hope it will help me figuring out that thing i wanted in the first place. Would give you 2 thumbs up if i could :)

Thank you ! It took me till now to check this program because i kind of gave up on getting what i needed. This program is amazing. It is exactly what i was looking for and more ! I am testing it right now to see if i can catch the event that is bothering me.

In the meanwhile, here is the reason i think everyone needs this program. Look at foxit reader. You know, i did disable its auto update function. I told it to not do anything, anything beside open a pdf once a week when i click on it. Yet, it appears to try to write something into its .txt file, probably a log. It tries to do that about 50 times a second, fails it appears, but doesn't give up. It will give me great pleasure in figuring out a way to prevent this program to do anything in the background :)

Tnx, i hope it will help me figuring out that thing i wanted in the first place. Would give you 2 thumbs up if i could :)

Watch this video, strongly recommended for everyone Is your PC hacked? RAM Forensics with Volatility - YouTube