• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking for a gaming soundcard

Thrall

Hi guys, I've been using integrated sound for the past year or so since I upgraded my rig (and lost all my pci slots where my old x-fi went) and I think I'm finally do for a dedicated sound card again. I usually play Starcraft 2 and Battlefield 3 with my Sennheiser HD280's, but have been known to break out some "classics" like UT2004 and BF2. I haven't been paying attention to sound card tech for the past few years, so I was wondering if you could fill me in an recommend a card for less than $120 and answer a few of my questions.

Is EAX support still worth anything? I know that since Vista, the standard was supposed to turn to OpenAL, but I'm not sure how many games actually use that.

Is Creative's Titanium HD worth the price increase over the regular Titanium version? Max PC was raving about how the HD was designed from the ground up for Vista/7, but I'm not sure that even means anything :confused: .

Finally, I remember "back in the day" X-Fi cards were probably the best in the business for positional audio (either through eax or their virtual headphone surround) and I was wondering if they still have that going for them or if other brands/oems (like asus) are similar.

Thanks for your help and I look forward to hearing back!

Processor C2duo e6750@ 2800mhz
Motherboard GA-P43T-ES3G
Cooling Xigmatek S1283
Memory 2x2Gb Kingstone HyperX DDR3 1600 (KHX1600C9D3K2/4GX )
Video Card(s) HIS HD 6870
Storage samsung HD103SJ
Case Xigmatek Utgard
Audio Device(s) X-FI Titanium Pci-e
Power Supply Xigmatek NRP-PC702 700W
Software win7 ultimate -64bit
Creative's Titanium HD is optimized for headphones and stereo use ,if you are planning to use with speakers you may try auzentech cards (just dont buy auzen x-fi bravura it has not got x-fi chip ) x-fi forte and Home theater HD has x-fi chip but creative would/will launch new cards i am wating to see its reviews http://www.techpowerup.com/151477/Creative-Rolls-Out-Sound-Blaster-SoundCore-3D-Quad-Core-PCIe-Sound-Cards.html

About openAL it is an api to enable hardware accerelation at vista/win7 basicly and main source behind it is creative.

Thrall

I normally use headphones, but sometimes I'll break out the old Altec Lansing 2.1 setup for racing games. The new creative card sounds interesting. I can't seem to find the Auzentech cards anywhere but their website, do you know of any places that still sell them?

System Name Old Gateway / Steam Deck OLED LE
Processor i5 4440 3.1ghz / Jupiter 4c 8t
Motherboard Gateway / Valve
Cooling Eh it doesn't thermal throttle
Memory 2x 8GB JEDEC 1600mhz DDR3 / 16gb DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) RX 560D 4GB / Navi II 8CU
Storage 240gb 2.5 SSD / 1TB nvme
Display(s) Dell @ 1280*1024 75hz / 800p OLED
Case Gateway / Valve LE
Audio Device(s) Gateway Diamond Audio EMC2.0-USB 5375U ($15 a long ass time ago), Valve
Power Supply 380w oem / 65w valve USB-C
Mouse Purple Walmart special, 1600dpi. Black desk mat
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 100 / virtual
VR HMD Lmao
Software Windows 10 / Steam OS
Benchmark Scores It can run Crysis (Original), Doom 2016, and Halo MCC. SD LE 45fps
System Name Main Rig
Processor Athlon 5350
Motherboard AsRock mITX
Memory 4gb
Storage 120gb Kingston HyperX SSD
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 740N
Power Supply Corsair 430 watt
Check out Asus Xonar DG

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
If you're looking for the best gaming card - the Titanium Fatal1ty is probably your best choice. The card is native PCIE, so there's little to no latency throughout the processing stream . . . it effectively translates to less than 0.5% CPU use (although, that's a rather moot point, as with most current modern CPUs, processor utilization for even DSP based sound cards - i.e. Xonar, HT Omega, onboard, etc. - is about 1%-2%, which is extremelly negligible). The Creative APUs, though, can handle more audio processing without being bogged down than any other processing solution. These are actual processing units, not DSPs, capable of producing staggering numbers of both hardware and software voices without hiccuping at the workload.

The cards support EAX5 and OAL, but the industry move is now towards OAL. There are still some new titles that support EAX, but they're few and far between. More games support OAL, even if they don't mention it, and OAL carries many of the library calls of EAX5.0HD. It really boils down to game developers, and whether or not they want to impliment it.

Regarding positional audio - Creative's CMSS-3D is still the best solution on the market when coupled with an XFi APU. It's based off a lot of the preliminary work Aureal did back in the mid-late 90s. It's fully supportive with multi-channel setups, too, which can make 5.1 and 7.1 solutions sound even more dynamic than they already are . . . and a game doesn't need to support it to make use of it. The APU can create up to 5000+ software voices, which are necessary for such virtualized sound positioning.

All the other software features of the card (i.e. Crystalizer) are really down to personal taste - they can make compressed audio sound better, but raw audio sound like crap. But, it's not really meant to be used with raw audio, either.

As to the hardware audio quality - it's good. It's definitely within the range of "audiophile" tastes, albeit at the lower end. Although if you're using the card with analog devices (i.e. headphones of 90% of PC audio setups), it'll still sound great. Remember that how audio sounds is based on both your audio processing hardware, and your output hardware. If you're using digital or optical connections, though, through a reciever . . . it might be a different story. But if your predominant use will be for gaming or listening to compressed audio (mp3s, wma) you should be alright.

If you're looking more for a media center solution, with superb audio quality for DVD and raw media playback (i.e. CD, Blu-Ray, etc.) through upper-end high quality speaker setups connected via digital or optical cable, as well as the processing power for gaming - you might want to consider an Auzentech X-Fi.

Any of the in-between stuff, I'd recommend the Xonar series. Possibly an HT Omega, depending on your budget.

Thrall

Thanks for your help so far guys. Imperial--is there a reason to pick the Fatal1ty version over the standard Titanium? According to Newegg they both have the same specs, except for the EMI shield and x-ram.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
Yeah - as far as hardware goes, they're identicle . . . the biggest difference is in their output capabilities. If you're using analog, the Fatal1ty is the better choice - it supports 7.1 and TOSLINK I/O . . . the HD, though, only supports 2-channel analog (which will buggar analog 4.1/5.1/7.1 hook ups), and although it supports digital and coaxial out, it doesn't support native optical.

The both do have an EMI shield, and the shield is actually effective for these cards (unlike some EMI shields I've seen on some other hardware out there). The XRAM isn't really much of a big deal, as few games actually make use of it . . . I personally recommend it though, as if a game doesnt make use of it or require it, the card will still use it. The card's BIOS will hot swap things in and out during the processing stream, drastically cutting down on latency. Not as much of an issue now as it was years ago with the X-Fi series were first coming out . . . the PCI latency and lack of good MEM on the card was leading to a lot of audio clipping.

So, it really boils down to what your stereo hookup configuration is, as to which would be the better choice for ya.

mediasorcerer

System Name THE MEDIAMACHINE
Processor i5-3570k
Motherboard Asus gene v z-77 matx.
Cooling Antec h20 620
Memory 2x4gb g.skill ripjaws z 2400
Video Card(s) h.i.s radeon 7950 reference 3 gb- hooray!!!
Storage samsung 128gb~830 ssd. samsung 500gb hdrive.
Display(s) 22 inch tele.
Case circa 1996 grey rat box with no sides front.until my own is finished
Audio Device(s) inbuilt creative.supreme effects 3
Power Supply thermaltake tt-500w
Software win 7 x64-
Benchmark Scores Coming soon
I just purchased a cheaper Creative sound blaster pcie card ,its low end and cost about 75$ but it sounds definatively better than the onboard asus/realtek i was using, i noticed the soldering is not high quality, i could have done a better job, ie the wire snipping is a bit shabby on the capacitors, yet it works fine and what can one expect for under 100$?

It sounds very nice in games and i played some old reggae numbers up loud last night to give it a whirl and sounded really good, just dont want to add too much eax or xfi crystaliser /virtual surround etc or it becomes too reverberative lol. So based on that i can recommend creative to a degree.

Thrall

Yeah - as far as hardware goes, they're identicle . . . the biggest difference is in their output capabilities. If you're using analog, the Fatal1ty is the better choice - it supports 7.1 and TOSLINK I/O . . .

I was actually referring to the base titanium model (the one without the emi shield) vs. the fatal1ty one. Also, does the HD being designed for Vista/7 audio stack mean anything? It would be nice to have those analog surround outputs, although realistically I might just use them once or twice.

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
Check out Asus Xonar DG
Some of Creative's XFi cards seem to suffer from crackling sounds. I would check reviews 1st, though Asus does a good job.

Processor C2duo e6750@ 2800mhz
Motherboard GA-P43T-ES3G
Cooling Xigmatek S1283
Memory 2x2Gb Kingstone HyperX DDR3 1600 (KHX1600C9D3K2/4GX )
Video Card(s) HIS HD 6870
Storage samsung HD103SJ
Case Xigmatek Utgard
Audio Device(s) X-FI Titanium Pci-e
Power Supply Xigmatek NRP-PC702 700W
Software win7 ultimate -64bit
http://store.auzentech.com/pci-express-soundcards-c19.aspx

Auzen x-fi HD in stock now not forte i think ,if you are not in hurry wait a bit to see new cards .And HD being designed for vista/win7 means nothing .Creative had driver problems with vista at past i guess it is a kind of reference to working drivers :) .

I normally use headphones, but sometimes I'll break out the old Altec Lansing 2.1 setup for racing games. The new creative card sounds interesting. I can't seem to find the Auzentech cards anywhere but their website, do you know of any places that still sell them?