• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking for a pcie ssd adapter

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
This is for my server pc it supports booting from pcie and stuff. I use it like a normal desktop fyi.

Board has built in sata maxes out at 250 mb r/w . It's got an LSI falcon sas/sata adapter it gives almost full sata 3 speeds but boot time is longer and cant use trim function.

Looking at the OWC accelsior currently. Anything better would appreciate if mentioned.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
I have this

And this

Both work real solid.

If it's SATA SSD, there's a few out there but I never got to use them.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG X570S Tomahawk Max WiFi
Cooling EK Supremacy EVO Elite + EK D5 + EK 420 Rad, TT Toughfan 140x3, TT Toughfan 120x2, Arctic slim 120
Memory 32GB GSkill DDR4-3600 (F4-3600C16-8GVKC)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Radeon RX 7900XTX Gaming OC
Storage WDBlack SN850X 4TB, Samsung 950Pro 512GB, Samsung 850EVO 500GB, 6TB WDRed, 36TB NAS, 8TB Lancache
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z (1440P 144Hz, TN, Freesync) & 2x ASUS VE248
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Audio Device(s) Topping D50S + THX AAA 789, TH-X00 w/ V-Moda Boompro; 7Hz Timeless
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Sharkoon Fireglider optical
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro
I see toop has you covered on the single-M.2 X4 cards.

Cards like your OWC one should work fine, but make sure to research the SATA controller they're using. A lot of the cheaper ones run off an x1 link and you'll be limited by the PCIe link. From what I can see the accellsior should be fine but I'd have to research it more in depth to be sure. I mean, it's just a SATA controller on a PCIe card, and you can find them everywhere online; though like I said, you do have to be careful about checking what the on-card controller is capable of, how many lanes it's wired to, and at the end of the day, the fastest it will ever be is as fast as a SATA 3 port. (exceptions for cards that RAID multiple drives together, but then you have RAID to deal with and the obvious pros and cons involved with that)

If you're looking to go a bit bigger and your server PC has an actual server board capable of PCIe Bifurcation (Check the BIOS) or you have one of the very few prosumer boards that support it in BIOS/UEFI (ASRock for example has been known in the past to occasionally add bifurcation support to their motherboards when asked, via a BETA unsupported BIOS release if the hardware physically supports it.), you could use one of these

It takes a PCIe x16 slot and splits it out into 4 x4 M.2 slots. As I said, this does require Bifurcation support from the CPU/MOBO/Chipset/BIOS.

There's also (much more expensive) hardware RAID cards out there that can take an x16 slot and run 4 x4 SSDs as a single RAID device instead of 4 seperate devices on one slot. They are, as I said, much more expensive though as they have a hardware RAID controller on the card, as opposed to this guy which is basically just a pin-adapter with some support circuitry.

One final thing: Be careful about "combo" PCIe cards that claim to support PCIe and SATA SSDs on one card; usually they wire the PCIe SSD to the slot, and just put a SATA header on the card which you have to still plug into your SATA controller on the mobo, so it's no different than having any other SATA SSD - they can be useful for space savings though, if you want for example an NVMe M.2 SSD for boot and have a slower SATA M.2 SSD lying around that you want to make some use of.

Last edited: