1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking for help/advice

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by cantgetright, Feb 23, 2010.

1. cantgetright New Member

Thanks Received:
    So, earlier today my computer was working fine. I know not to clean the inside with a vacuum, but I was vacuuming earlier and was pulling dust off the back at one point. When I finished cleaning, I connected my computer back up (I've had it for about 3.5years, worked fine before) and the screen gave me the no input detected bit. Everything powered up, but nothing seems to get going. I can't get to any screen whatsoever. As of right now, I'm figuring it's either the motherboard or the power supply. When i boot up, I can hear the HDD's slight hum, the CPU fan works, the video card's fan works and the light on my sound card turns on, but I'm not getting the screen.

I found this website doing a google search for a similar problem as mine, but the thread was about as old as my computer so I figured I wouldn't get any new help from it.

I'm figuring something shorted when the metal touched the back of the base, but how can I distinguish whether the problem comes from the motherboard or the video card? So far I've checked all my connections inside, taken out the ram and moving the slots around, tried the video card in different PCI-E slot, changes slots on the sata cables. I also took out the little battery on the motherboard for 5 minutes and put it back in. None of those worked.

This seems like the right section for this, if not, I'm sorry in advance. Also appreciate any advice anyone has.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  2. neoreif

neoreif

Thanks Received:
    Hello and welcome to tpu! What are the specs of the PC that is having problems right now? How did you clean your PC with the vacuum, by using it as a blower or just used it to suck all the dust/dirt out? And when you cleaned it, did you removed any parts from your PC?

3. garyinhere

garyinhere

Thanks Received:
    Might be the PSU but I doubt it if everything is powering up and humming... and sounds like BIOS is going through the boot checks... what is your system? Monitor, mobo, graphics card and so on?

4. cantgetright New Member

Thanks Received:
    the computer has a gigabyte m55sli motherboard, amd athlon x2 6400, bfg nvidia 7950gt, western digital 250gb hdd (sata 3.0gb/s 7200 rpm i think) windows xp pro and 3gb of ram, 2 of which are paired and the 3rd was added about a year ago, when i updated the processor from the 2.0ghz version (can't remember but i think it was amd athlon x2 4000) and the PSU is 500w that came with the case.
    when i was vacuuming, i was behind the PC and I moved it about 5 feet to clean under it, then moved it back and with the hose of the vacuum i pulled dust from the back vent area as well as the slots for the pci/pci-e cards. Not sure if it matters but the computer was completely unplugged.
    edit: and a westinghouse 19" LCD monitor. I tried using a different monitor but it didn't work. Also tried using a different dvi/vga adapter and a different dvi cable as well as both new parts, didn't work. also, i wasn't really cleaning the computer, just trying to suck out dust from the vents and fans since it had been a while. usually i just use a can of the compressed air to clean the inside.

5. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    I'm too tired to be of any use but welcome to TPU!

For what it's worth, I've used a leaf blower on my computer before (after removing a few sensitive things)....

6. garyinhere

garyinhere

Thanks Received:
    Found a guy with simular prob... Hi All,
    I have a annoying preoblem with my Gigabyte GA-M55SLI-S4 motherboard.
    The problem only occurs when the computer is booting. During the boot my motherboard is unable to find any of teh IDE drive and it incorrectly identifys my SATA drive(which has my OS on it). As a result it computer just hangs. I can get into the Bios, but this does not help. Usually I just keep re-booting the computer, until (magically!) all of the HDD's are recognised and Vista loads. The above problem only occurs in 2 situations - 1. when I have had my computer off and unplugged from the wall for a long period. 2. if the electiricty from the power company is interrupted briefly.
    I have the lastest bois from Gigabyte installed.
    my config
    Athlon x2 3800
    Gigabyte GA-M55SLI-S4 motherboard
    3gb Kingston 667mmhz DDR2 ram
    Asus 7600 video
    x2 IDE HDD's (seagate)
    x1 sata HDD (seagate)

I'd try replacing the battery in the mobo it might be bad\going bad... then check bios and see if it's most current. Let me know!

7. cantgetright New Member

Thanks Received:
    I bought a battery like the one inside, put it in and booted up. Still didn't change anything. I googled how to do it and it says i need to enter some values, but I can't get to any screen anyway so I'm not sure if I should leave in the old or the new. any ideas?
    i can hear the hdd's boot up making their noises when i turn on as well as the fans w/the new battery, not sure if that helps or if it's supposed to all work as before.

edit: After doing another search, I took out everything and the motherboard and inspected the motherboard for bad capacitors and found none. there doesn't visually seem to be anything wrong w/the motherboard.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  8. cantgetright New Member

Thanks Received:
    another heads up. i put the motherboard back in, set up the power switch reset switch etc.. the processor and plugged in the hard drives, no sound card no video card no cd drive and when i hit the power button i got a really long BEEP from the HD. all the front lights work and the motherboard seems to be running. Making me think to replace the video card. Im gonna put a stick of ram in next then the sound card then the video card, I'll check each time if the power up is any different and I'll post back.

I didn't mention this before, but I bought the card used about 2 years ago and it's worked great since, but now I'm getting weary.

edit: With a stick of ram, I'm hearing a 1-1.5 second beep after 5-7 seconds. Like a longer version of the HD beep during a normal startup. Same goes for adding the rest of the parts. This is all w/the new cmos battery...and its the same problem w/the old battery.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  9. garyinhere

garyinhere

Thanks Received:
    If you have a multi-meter check the voltage going into the graphics card and let me know

10. garyinhere

garyinhere

Thanks Received:
    and double check your ram see if it's dead

11. cantgetright New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't have a multimeter, and I'm not sure how to else to check the ram. All I can say about it is that if one is dead they're all dead, cause i tried each one in the first slot on its own and got the same long beep each time repeating itself.

12. neoreif

neoreif

Thanks Received:
    The beeps that you are getting probably points to a faulty Ram... is there any way that you can test a different Ram Stick on your system and see if it boots?

13. Marineborn

Thanks Received:
    make sure your video cards not lose, sometimes itll make a connection but not display video and make sure your monitor is firmly connected to the video card something thel can jiggle lose jsut a little bit, if that doesnt work reset your cmos and bios chip, if that doesnt work you can always pull out your motherboard battery for a couple seconds put it back in and see if that helps, if that doesnt work pull out your video card put it in a diffrent slot and see if that works.

14. bubs

bubs New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do you have a spare PCIe card to try. Because i had a customers computer a couple of months back and it was a really old system. This customer apparently was using his PC one day then the next morning he would get no display. I tried the easy things first like making sure the cable was connected to the monitor firmly or to the VGA port but no luck. He did not have integrated graphics, so i replace his AGP card with a known good one that i had and still had the same prob. Then i tried his AGP card in one of my old systems and it worked. So i put it down to the expansion slots on his mobo was knackered. When you vacummed the back of the PC perhaps you caused ESD damage. Id say faulty mobo sorry :shadedshu

15. cantgetright New Member

Thanks Received:
    I tried each of those yesterday except for reseting the cmos and bios chip.

Also, I do have a PCI-E card somewhere, but I spent like 6 hours the first day looking for it and came up empty. I also tried the different ram sticks alone, so if one isn't working they're all not working. At this point I might just take it to the geek squad pay for the check. At least they've got the parts to go through and check what isn't working. If i have to replace the video card or the mother board or the ram, I'm probably just gonna go ahead and build a new tower w/this HDD and sound card, it would only be 500-600 since I don't need a new OS or Hard drive.