• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking for new RPG to play..

Violeta

System Name Sinister
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz (2 CPUs)
Motherboard MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD, MS-7365
Memory 3326MB RAM
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Storage WDC WD3200AAKS-00YGA0 305.2 GB
Audio Device(s) SB Live! 24-bit
Software Windows Vista™ Ultimate Service Pack 1
OK, not a very original post, but I'm coming up on the end of Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, and would like to get some help finding that new game to play. That said, I here are the games I have played and what I liked/didn't like about them... with these in mind hopefully you can help me figure out what to play next:

Bioshock:
Liked: Action!!! Interesting story, realistic and creepy atmosphere.
Didn't like: Very linear... I know that if I play it again it will be almost the same thing all over again.

The Witcher:
Liked: Action!! OK story, good graphics, not as linear, the leveling system, alchemy.
Didn't like: Still too linear for me... no matter what order you do the quests in you still move from chapter to chapter and you can't access places/content from before once you move on. One thing that really bothered me about this game was that when I finally made enough money to do something with it, the game ended, so I couldn't go buy that armor set I couldn't afford earlier on, and by the time I got a good set of armor made, it was at the end. Also, I didn't like the fact that the armor/items in game are so precisely set in certain locations... little "randomness" in the world.

Two Worlds:
Liked: More free-flowing, alchemy, big world, transports!!!, lots of random loot and options to upgrade.
Didn't like: Hate how fast my inventory becomes full; don't like the horse... the range on it is small and I always lose it, it does't transport and it's awkward, it's hard to get into the story line, and the fighting/combat seems unbalanced. Also it just seems so stereotypical in terms of story and quests that I feel like I've been there, done that, about a million times.

Divine Divinity/Beyond Divinity:
Liked: Great action, dungeon crawling, character development, and really nice music...
Didn't like: the graphics but then it was a really good game so I was able to overlook those.

Titan Quest/Immortal Throne:
Liked: Liked the action, the loot, the leveling system.
Didn't Like: classes weren't well balanced, but good game overall; graphics could be better but good game.

What I tried but never finished...
Oblivion: never cared for the atmosphere much, seemed kind of barren and void to me...
Doom: play it once in a while but I want more character development, inventory, merchants, less linear, etc.
Knights of the Old Republic: still have this; played about half of it and got bored...
Thief: too much stealth, I wanna wack it till I kill it, or blast it...
Asassin's Creed: I'm pissed off; I just spent $50 on this game and there is nothing to do in it but chase stupid flags which takes forever and you just scale walls and there is little to do around town... no side quests, merchants, abilities or trade skills, just repetitive tests of skill which bug me to no end... This game really pissed me off - normally I do my homework before buying it - I look it up online, etc. but this one I picked out in the store thinking for sure it would be good; I took a chance and ended up being really disappointed... I expected it to be at least a little more involved than it is - and the sad part is that I actually like the idea, but there just isn't that much to do that isn't repetitive, boring, and you can't really save when you want on top of it, so you end up doing the same thing over and over and over... sigh.
Gothic 3: My system didn't play it well at the time so I sold it. It took forever to save and I lost patience with it. If it's improved much I'm willing to buy another copy and try it again...

What I'm looking for, but not required that each game have every component, just what I like:

1. Leveling
2. Inventory - lots of stuff in the world to pick up and use/sell/trade, etc.
3. As non-linear as possible but OK of story is good
4. Points to attribute to skills/abilities (freedom in character development)
5. Ability to play female protagonist, though again if story is good I can handle playing a guy
6. Side things to do: rich world... loot, treasure, alchemy or other trade skills
7. Combat... I love dungeon crawling, being a caster, basically anything where I can bring lots of death and destruction to as many digital foes as possible.

I also own WoW and play that with my husband, and sometimes I play Hellgate but I love to find nice RPG gems where I can become immersed in a game for days/weeks and play it from beginning to end.

So, any games you would suggest I play? Bring them on...

Last edited:

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
never winter nights1

graphics are kinda early DX9 but the game itself isnt that lineier at all...you can customize multiple attributes 1 point at a time pick and choose from a list what spells etc uyou want....and the community is HUGE!!!! you can download weapons and extra modules so you can basically play forever..you can even download modules that expand the original game if you wish..and the play time is incedably long you wont be bored at all if you like looking in all the nooks and crannys

now if you like better graphics id say neverwinter nights 2 though imo the story is a little weaker

kylew

Processor Main: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 @ 3.7Ghz / Server: Q6600@ Stock
Motherboard Main: Asus P5E @ Rampage Forumla / Server: P5K Deluxe
Cooling Main: Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme (8 x 120mm fans inc. PSU + 2 x 92mm fans.) / Server: Stock
Memory Main: 4x2GB Gskill DDR2 1000Mhz / Server: 4x1GB Gskill DDR2 800Mhz
Video Card(s) Main: 2GB 5870 Eyefinity 6 / Server: HD 4850
Storage 8 Internal (SATA) 2 External (USB). Total storage 5.4TB
Display(s) Triple Dell 24" 2408WFP
Case Main: Silverstone TJ07 / Server: Coolermaster Stacker 810
Audio Device(s) Main: Auzentech Xmystique / Server: NI Rig Kontrol
Power Supply Main: Coolermaster Realpower 850w Modular / Server Tagan 600W Modular
Software Main: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit / Server: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark 06 19.5k 3D Mark Vantage 12.5k Super PI 13.4s
I think your term for RPG is very broad! :D

If you've got any consoles, you really need to try some of the FF games (final fantasy). If you want to be immersed into it so far that your life ends until you've finished it, then an FF game is for you. I got heavily immersed into FF9 a quite few summers ago and played it literally from when I got up until I went to sleep, it was that good (FF9 is my personal favorite). Other RPGs you might like are the breath of fire ones, they're also very immersive, and are capcom's answer to FF games. These are all console based of course though. Some great PC games that have an RPG element to them, that I would recommend are, beyond good and evil, great game, but very under rated, another is fable, it's a pretty nice game, I haven't finished it yet though because my graphics card recently broke and I'm stuck with a simple one for now. I can't really think of anything else on the PC that you already haven't mentioned though, RPGs usually aren't strong on the PC like they are on the consoles unfortunately, I'd love or FF games to be released on PC, I'd buy it over the consoles, but, I doubt that'll be happening any time soon. (I know there have been some FF releases on PC, but I mean simultaneous releases with real graphics settings and so on.)

kylew

Cooling Main: Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme (8 x 120mm fans inc. PSU + 2 x 92mm fans.) / Server: Stock
Power Supply Main: Coolermaster Realpower 850w Modular / Server Tagan 600W Modular
OVERLORRRD :p
FABLE
And like sol said never winter nights

OVERLORD!!!

Great game! That's another I need to finish once I've got a good graphics card again!

Violeta

System Name Sinister
Memory 3326MB RAM
keep them coming

I will check out Overlord.

I do not have a console and I'm not in the position to get one right now, so I'm just looking for PC games, although if the FF are that good I'll look for an opportunity to play it at some point if I can get enough access to a console.

I did play both Neverwinter nights, 1 and 2, and I've also played Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic... and I really loved Return to Castle Wolfenstein even though it's more of a shooter...

Keep them coming!

Saakki

System Name JGG
Processor Q6600 @ 3,4ghz
Motherboard Rampage Formula
Cooling Xigmatek, Nexus
Memory 1100 mhz Pi
Video Card(s) 6950 + Accelero Xtreme Plus
Storage 1tb+1tb
Display(s) Acer 19" LCD 5ms + 17 " Hitachi
Case Fractal Design Define R2
Audio Device(s) X-FI
Power Supply XFX Core 650
Software Win 7 ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores Q6600 @ 3.5 ghz + and 6950 @ 6970 +
Overlord yes thats good...but wait till free Mythos Online RPG is released. Diablo makers did a hell of a job making this great and FREE mmorpg. Im beta tester and i love it. Open beta coming soon. http://www.mythos.com/ ...mean time play Diablo 2 and its expansion , Hellgate London, all Fallouts , Morrowind , Planescape Tormen, Icewind Tales and so forth.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Pro Wifi II
Cooling Hyper 212 EVO v2
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR4-4000
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6750 XT
Storage WD Black SN850 2TB, various other SSD's from ages past
Display(s) LG 27GL850 1440@144, AG Neovo EM2701QC 1440@75
Case Zophos EVO Silent by Raijintek
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud II Wireless headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse ProtoArc EM01
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow X Chroma Mercury
Software Windows 11 Pro
I'd say if you can handle Oblivion to give it another chance. Grind through the first 5 hours (intro/training), and you see a whole different game.

It does an EXCELLENT job at everything on your list, and being put off by the vastness of the game is all in how you play it.

1. Leveling
Essentially there is very little in the way of a cap on levels. Every skill you gain a level in adds to your character level. 10 skill levels = 1 character level. Each character level gives you a few points to add the each of your stats, and comes with a HP/MP boost.
2. Inventory - lots of stuff in the world to pick up and use/sell/trade, etc.
zomg! So much stuff! Everything you could think of (useful or not) is takeable, sellable, and placeable. Buy a house? Leave your junk lying around without fear of losing it or getting it stolen! Wanna steal from the wealthy? "Hot" items can be sold to thieves guild fences!
3. As non-linear as possible but OK of story is good
The vast cold world of Oblivion is quickly filled by MOUNDS of side-quests. Once you break into the flow of things, your quest list may never be empty. For reference, I have 15 complete and 15 available at 15 hours into the game. Not to mention assigning a quest as "active" gives you map indicators. No more getting lost! Not to mention quick-travel to main cities, or locations already visited.
4. Points to attribute to skills/abilities (freedom in character development)
Take your pick of premade classes, take suggestions from your first hour of play, or go totally custom. Character builds don't get much more diverse that what's offered here.
5. Ability to play female protagonist, though again if story is good I can handle playing a guy
Male or Female, makes no difference. Kind of a downer that they don't really differentiate, but at least they won't hold it against you.
6. Side things to do: rich world... loot, treasure, alchemy or other trade skills
Considering the cost of a decent house is around 15k, there's plenty of loot to be had. Alchemy is based off real-world plants for the most part, along with critter parts and more supernatural goo. Creating your own spells and enchanting your own items are also more than possible. Closest thing you get to weaponcrafting however, is simply repairing your stuff.
7. Combat... I love dungeon crawling, being a caster, basically anything where I can bring lots of death and destruction to as many digital foes as possible.
Combat isn't as intense as some games, as you fight 2-3 enemies at a time. They put up a damn good fight though. I would recommend dropping the difficulty to easy for the first Oblivion gate, then putting it back to normal for the rest of the game. For some reason they really made it tough.

Not to mention the insane amount of custom mods that will be released for this game over the next 3 years or so. A friend of mine got this for the 360 when it was release, has 120 hours on a game, and still plays it as there's still more to do. It's a long game, but considering what you're asking for, give it another shot! You might just be missing out on everything you're dreaming of. :)

System Name Black Panther
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO Wifi 1.0
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
Memory 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX2080 Ti Dual 11GB DDR6
Storage Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD M.2 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Display(s) 32'' Gigabyte G32QC 2560x1440 165Hz
Case NZXT H710i Black
Audio Device(s) Razer Electra V2 & Z5500 Speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 Gold 80+
Mouse Some Corsair lost the box forgot the model
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
Hi Violeta, first of all welcome to TPU! Nice to see a fellow female in this world! :toast:

You said your post is 'not original' but I thank you for your reviews on the various rpg games. I had been planning to make a similar post myself asking for rpg suggestions before I saw yours!

On the topic... so far I can't suggest anything since I'm in need of suggestions myself, but I suggest you take a second look at Oblivion. I just bought Two Worlds and in respect to Oblivion it's empty and bland. Now I wished I had bought TW before Oblivion because that way I'd have enjoyed it.

Practically the 7 points you mention you are looking in an rpg are all present in Oblivion and the horse control is much better than TW.

If Oblivion appears kinda 'empty' to you, you should try a couple of mods - what I suggest is Mart's Monster Mod more commonly known as MMM which adds a lot of more creatures, NPC's and traders to the game.

If your pc can support it, you can get much better graphics by downloading Qarls Texture Pack 3 Redimized which further increases texture details to 2048x2048.

And speaking about immersion, I don't know where 6 months of my life went due to playing Oblivion! :laugh:

Edit: LOL Silverel beat me to it, with a much better post!

Saakki

System Name JGG
Processor Q6600 @ 3,4ghz
Motherboard Rampage Formula
Cooling Xigmatek, Nexus
Memory 1100 mhz Pi
Video Card(s) 6950 + Accelero Xtreme Plus
Storage 1tb+1tb
Display(s) Acer 19" LCD 5ms + 17 " Hitachi
Case Fractal Design Define R2
Audio Device(s) X-FI
Power Supply XFX Core 650
Software Win 7 ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores Q6600 @ 3.5 ghz + and 6950 @ 6970 +
I still prefer TES 3 : Morrowind over Oblivion! :rockout:

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11

Violeta

System Name Sinister
Memory 3326MB RAM
Ok, Ok, I will give Oblivion another shot... can't hurt. Wasn't drawn into it from the beginning... maybe because it tries to look "too realistic" and I didn't care for the interface (menus and the graphical interface system) but if the game is that good then I can try to look past these. My husband has it and he played it for hours and it just never pulled me in; maybe if I gave it a real try it would grow on me.

I have not tried Guild Wars but I did see it at a friend's house, and it looks like a watered-down WoW. Basically I like to become engaged in the world and feel like I have a purpose to what I'm doing and Guild Wars looked like it lacked any real depth.

Now one game I've wanted to play but never have is Planescape Torment, but I can't find an affordable copy... Any leads on a copy that's not over $50??

Mythos looks great!! Looking forward to it!

Bytor

System Name "The Dark Spider"
Processor AMD Phenom 9850 @ 3.0
Motherboard Asus M3A79-T
Cooling Water: CPU and GPU's, 2 pumps, 2 BIX Rads, D-Tek Fuzion v1, 2 Swiftech MCW60
Memory 4 gigs Crucial Balistix Tracers (1066 @ 1256)
Video Card(s) Sapphire 4870x2
Storage WD SATA 640 Gig HDD
Display(s) Acer 24" beast...
Case Modded Rocketfish
Audio Device(s) Onboard (only use head phones)
Power Supply 700 watt
Software a bunch
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark 06: 9859 on 2-X1950 pro's Xfire 3D Mark 06: 12794 on 1-3870 3D Mark 06: 16484 Xfire
Age of Conan goes live tomorrow..

Playing in the Early Release and its a very nice looking and smooth running game. But the install right now for Pre-release is 24 gigs. I hear it should be up to 32 gigs when done and said.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
+1 Awesome game! Have you tried Guild Wars at all?

yup gave my key to linkin though..i liked te game it was excellent but im not much of an online guy i usually try to stay away from mmo's it would have been perfect in my eyes if it was single player

kylew

I will check out Overlord.

I do not have a console and I'm not in the position to get one right now, so I'm just looking for PC games, although if the FF are that good I'll look for an opportunity to play it at some point if I can get enough access to a console.

I did play both Neverwinter nights, 1 and 2, and I've also played Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic... and I really loved Return to Castle Wolfenstein even though it's more of a shooter...

Keep them coming!

Most FF games are on the PS1, so they'll be pretty cheap to pick up if you ever see any :).

Not an RPG, but other great games are the oddworld games for PS1, amazingly fantastic games, I can't get enough of them. I've played them to death, and I will continue to play them to death. I'm just really disappointed that they've pretty much stopped doing anything for the last few years. They being the oddworld games developers.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
you can pick up 7 and 8 i bealive on the pc..i own 8 for the pc and im lucky because its my fav one!

Violeta

System Name Sinister
Memory 3326MB RAM
"you can pick up 7 and 8 i bealive on the pc..i own 8 for the pc and im lucky because its my fav one!"

Are they good "stand alone"?? That is, I can pick up 7 and get into it, even though I know nothing about the previous ones?

Do they play well on PC or do they have issues coming from console?

Do they play on XP? (I'm staying away from Vista for now...)

On Amazon they are $60 (for 7) and $40 (for 8)... will they be expensive everywhere?

Is the story really linear or is it open-ended at all?

Thanks!

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Pro Wifi II
Cooling Hyper 212 EVO v2
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR4-4000
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6750 XT
Storage WD Black SN850 2TB, various other SSD's from ages past
Display(s) LG 27GL850 1440@144, AG Neovo EM2701QC 1440@75
Case Zophos EVO Silent by Raijintek
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud II Wireless headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse ProtoArc EM01
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow X Chroma Mercury
Software Windows 11 Pro
Almost all of the Final Fantasy games are standalone :)

kylew

"you can pick up 7 and 8 i bealive on the pc..i own 8 for the pc and im lucky because its my fav one!"

Are they good "stand alone"?? That is, I can pick up 7 and get into it, even though I know nothing about the previous ones?

Do they play well on PC or do they have issues coming from console?

Do they play on XP? (I'm staying away from Vista for now...)

On Amazon they are $60 (for 7) and $40 (for 8)... will they be expensive everywhere?

Is the story really linear or is it open-ended at all?

Thanks!

They are stand alone yes, the way they work is that each new number is a new story, and new characters and so on, if there's a sequel to a story, it'll be called, in the case of final fantasy 10, FFX-2 (10-2). :) Weird naming, I know, but it works.

A

Azazel

all ff games are stand alone. none are linked...

except for ffx and ffx-2 ff12 and ff12 revenant wings, ff VII , FFVII DOC and FFVII Crisis core

also ff12 is set in the same world as final fantasy tactics bat are not linked...

Violeta

System Name Sinister
Memory 3326MB RAM
GRR!!

#%$^&8 OK I was highest bidder and it looked like I won... I was higher bidder like minutes before it was due for the auction to be over.... Ebay: "Thank you for your bid on the following auction-style listing:

200224171338 - PC GAME-Final Fantasy 8 VIII - Like New

Unfortunately, eBay has removed this auction-style listing. All bids or offers on this listing have been canceled. Because the listing was ended, you no longer have any obligation to purchase this item. If the seller chooses to relist the item, you're welcome to bid on it again."

Damn...

System Name Aquarium
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Motherboard ROG Strix X670-E
Cooling Lian Li Galahead 360 AIO
Memory 2x16gb Flare X5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5-6000 PC5-48000
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3060
Storage 2TB WD SN850X Black NVMe, 500GB Samsung 970 NVMe
Display(s) Gigabyte 32" IPS 144Hz
Case Hyte Y60
Power Supply Corsair RMx 850
Software Win 11 Pro/ PopOS!
Definately give oblivion another go. From things you listed you like, such as perhaps open-endedness which came up a lot, it doesn't get any better than oblivion. There is sooo much to do in that game, and it can be played in many different ways. Check these mods out, maybe try w/ ooo and some others, makes for a different experience you may enjoy more.

FF is a great series w/ many, many great titles. VIII is my favorite, most will say VII is theirs. X is also quite good, and if you don't mind simpler game play and graphics (old) check out I-III. Most are very story driven, but w/ side-quests and the like to make it feel more open-ended.

And for the future games, Mass Effect is due for PC on the 28th of May, so look out for that, its supposed to be quite good. And later this year (August sometime I think) Fallout 3 hits, and I'm thinking that is going to be one hell of a game. Its made by Bethesda (Elder Scrolls), and the graphics and story look to be spectacular (open ended oblivion style gameplay w/ a post-apocolyptic well developed story=sick!).

PS. I'm especially w/ you on that assassin's creed thing. Sure the graphics are pretty, and there is a ton of potential there, but it is executed tediously repetatively and just gets plain boring. Hopefully 2 will expand and be better.

Last edited:
A

Azazel

get seven over eight...its better imo

i love all the ff games though :p

if you like mmorpg..get ff11

Violeta

System Name Sinister
Memory 3326MB RAM
Well my husband and I are moving in a couple of months to a new state so we're trying to save up for the move, and my gaming hunt isn't helping!! Anyway, I went for 8 b/c it was the cheapest - I was going to WIN it as top bidder at $18. I already ordered Overlord from Target for $13 so that was nice... if it's good, it's always nice to find a gem for a low price! But FF7 I can't find for under $40 and same for Planescape...

System Name Aquarium
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Motherboard ROG Strix X670-E
Cooling Lian Li Galahead 360 AIO
Memory 2x16gb Flare X5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5-6000 PC5-48000
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3060
Storage 2TB WD SN850X Black NVMe, 500GB Samsung 970 NVMe
Display(s) Gigabyte 32" IPS 144Hz
Case Hyte Y60
Power Supply Corsair RMx 850
Software Win 11 Pro/ PopOS!
Well my husband and I are moving in a couple of months to a new state so we're trying to save up for the move, and my gaming hunt isn't helping!! Anyway, I went for 8 b/c it was the cheapest - I was going to WIN it as top bidder at $18. I already ordered Overlord from Target for $13 so that was nice... if it's good, it's always nice to find a gem for a low price! But FF7 I can't find for under $40 and same for Planescape...

Yeah I had a tough time getting that at a decent price too. FF7 is by far the most popular of the series, and is in the highest demand. If you can find it for $40, thats pretty good. FF8 is my favorite, but I think that may be b/c I played it before 7, and they are different in many ways. 8 is more of a personal, love story, more realistic (graphic-wise at least) adventure. 7 is more epic and broadly scoped but cartoonish (graphics) tale, w/ a little more to do on the side than 8.