1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking to finish a build, end of this year (AMD/Intel?)

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Satummoo, Aug 13, 2008.

  1. Satummoo New Member

    Mar 9, 2007
    106 (0.03/day)
    Thanks Received:
    Right now, I have no computer (using wife's laptop) because I sold my parts to my brother who's computer fried. While I'm not in any rush, I'd like to have something by the end of this year, preferably sooner. Now what makes this difficult is that I must use a mATX motherboard. Previously, i've always been an AMD person and haven't liked Intel's products the past few years but the price/performance difference the past year is huge. I just came from a 3600 X2 brisbane and want something that will be an upgrade from that. The problem is that there is always new technology coming out, but sometimes, it's better to jump on than others. Here are two routes I'm thinking of:

    DFI LP JR P45 T3RS (comes in two flavors, ddr2/ddr3)
    E8600 (or any dual core 45nm with the new E0 stepping)
    DDR3 ram


    DFI LP JR 790GX M2RS
    New 45nm Phenom x4
    DDR2 ram

    Now, before, I was leaning from the AMD system, but i've heard early reports that the new 45nm x4 isn't much faster than what's out there now, has some bugs in the CPU, AND the 790gx doesn't have the intergrated power saving feature that was advertised months ago :banghead:

    The intel however is proven, and the DDR3 would be extremly futureproof but with Intel's Nehalem coming soon, how much longer will they produce LGA775 CPUs. It would be nice in a year, to simply upgrade the CPU to something better. Will any new CPUs for the LGA775 come out after Nehalem?

    I'm very split between the two, because the intergrated GPU on the AMD system would really help whenever I sell my GPU cards so I could go without buying a new one for a few weeks. With the Intel system, I'd have to buy a backup card if I ever wanted to sell my video card.

    The other option is waiting for DFI's Nvidia mobo, but there isn't a lot of information about it, but it does have the power saving video card feature.

    Anyone have any insight on what to do?
    10 Year Member at TPU
  2. FatForester New Member

    Mar 14, 2007
    970 (0.25/day)
    Thanks Received:
    Since you're looking at getting a pretty fast / expensive system, I'd wait as long as you can. Nehalem will be out at the end of the year, and if you can stomach the initial high prices that'd be the better choice. If you're wanting it sooner rather than later, both have their pros and cons, and you've already said them. If you're wanting more features and don't care as much about performance, I'd go with AMD. If you're wanting pure performance, go with Intel and grab some DDR3 to keep for later. I'm hating it for you lol
    10 Year Member at TPU

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guest)