• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

looking to get a tablet

System Name FumoffuFumoffu
Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z87X -UD3H
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7970 OC
Storage 1- WD 500GB 1- Samsung F2 1.5TB 1- Crucial M4 128GB SSD 1-256GB ADATA XPG SX900 ASX900S3 SSD
Display(s) Hanns-G HZ281HPB 27.5'' 3ms Full HD 1920x1200 WideScreen LCD Monitor
Case Corsair Graphite Series 600T
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair HX 750W Gold
Software Windows 7 Pro x64
So,

I am finally interested in getting a tablet. I want to read books and play videos. The battery life should be really good. I have thought about just getting a kindle paperwhite but you lose the video playback. So, now I am looking at the Nexus 7 and the Galaxy Tab 2. Any thoughts? I can't decide which is the safer/better choice to go with. Nexus/Galaxy/Kindle Fire HD/something else

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
I've been pondering this too. I was looking at one for the single purpose of being able to reference/read books. I'm leaning toward the Kindle Fire.

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
I have done a bit of research on this lately...strictly for books a Kindle probably the way to go (even one w/ out a color screen of you want to save some bank and really don't think you'll use for anything else). For games a Google Nexus with it's quad is probably the way to go though Samsung Galaxys are nice as are some other brands like Asus. Really the other main consideration is what kind of storage option(s) you really want. The Google tablets don't have SD card slots, for example. There are a few other options for those without though such as wireless drives and cloud-based services like SkyDrive.

New Samsungs just came out too or are imminent I think...check out NextPowerUp.