1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking to Overclock, is equipment (i.e PSU) up to the job?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Leshrac, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Leshrac New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey,

I have just created my account here and this seems like a good place for advice. If anyone has time or enough interest to help me out it would be great. Basically, im looking into overclocking my PC, mainly the CPU. I'll list all components with links to them on OCuk for reference and I will include CPUz screenies at the end.

The PC:
    CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.66GHz (1333FSB)
    Motherboard : Gigabyte GA_P35C_DS3R (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 & DDR3
    Memory : Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 PC2-6400C4 800MHz Dual Channel Kit
    Graphics Card : BFG GeForce 8800 GT OC2 512MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)
    HDD : Maxtor Diamondmax 21 250GB SATA-II 8MB Cache - OEM (STM3250310AS)
    Heatsink : Noctua NH-U12P CPU Cooler (Socket AM2/LGA775)
    Case : Antec P182 Super Midi Tower Case - No PSU (Gun Metal Black) - Linked case as the fans I use are default with what came with the case.
    PSU : Hiper 580W HPU-4M580 SLi Certified ATX2.2 PSU

CPUz - If you need it uploaded somewhere else let me know.

The questions I have for now are:
    • Is there potential in this system for overclocking, and will it be a noticeable amount?
    • Is there anything I should change within the system before overclocking? Payday later this month!
    • Anyone have any tips?

As long as it all seems ok to start, I'll be back to make sure before I take a step into doing anything that im doing it right first of all.

I think that might be everything, if you need anything else just scream.

Thanks

2. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    1.Yes, perhaps the limiting factor isn't power. 580W is a feast. You probably need better cooling now.

2. Cooling to the video card. BFG gives out OC and OC2 variants, but they use the reference NVidia cooler which is either too hot or too noisy but never both. Take a look at this: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...V1000 Quad Heatpipe Extreme Gaming VGA Cooler

3. You can read the numerous volt-modding articles on this website authored by Largon. You just need a good hand with soldering. Volt-mods coupled with adequate cooling facilitate great overclocks for the video-card.