• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Lost power now computer problem

Jagger

Last night, my house lost power and this morning, power back up. I have two computers and both were on surge protection. One came back up fine this morning. The other computer will start powering up but will not boot up on the monitor. The monitor shows no signal and goes to sleep. Fans come on normally but the fan to the power supply is noticeably very loud. Also the green light comes on the motherboard. The computer is not providing me with any beeps or blinking lights. I have attempted to bring up BIOS to see if the power supply is providing proper power but no luck using the F9 or the escape key. I also unplugged the computer, hit and held the power button on for 30 seconds and tried a restart. Same problem. I pulled out all my RAM and tried a restart. Same problem.

I considered using a multi-meter to test the power supply but it is an HP power supply not using the standard 24 pin connector. And I don't have the background info to test it.

I suspect the power supply because the PS fan goes to high within a minute of power up but I also have suspicions of the motherboard. I paid $150 for it last spring as a used computer because it had windows 10. I use it as my internet computer. My other computer is win 7 and I normally will not use it on the internet. So I can replace the power supply used for around $20 and get my internet computer back running if that is the problem. But it is a wasted $20 if it is the motherboard. If it is the motherboard, I should probably start shopping for another used computer.

Any ideas for narrowing down the problem or are there other possibilities which I haven't thought of?

Processor 3900X 4.425
Motherboard X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Galahad 360 push-pull
Memory 2x16gb Crucial Ballistix MAX 4400
Video Card(s) Asus Dual 3060 Ti OC
Storage Optane 280gb PCI-E
Display(s) PG348Q
Case Core X71
Audio Device(s) ATOLL DAC 100SE, Sony DN1070 - Dali Ikon 1 MK2, Presonus Studio 192, Line 6 POD HD rack, Audix VX10
Power Supply AX1500i
Mouse Pulsar Xlite wireless white
Keyboard Leopold FC980C 30g white
Software Win 10 Pro
These old machines can be a money pit in such cases, if you have the money to build something at least somewhat modern, let's say Ryzen... do that rather than throwing money into those. Maybe get some UPS as well while at it I say.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Last night, my house lost power and this morning, power back up. I have two computers and both were on surge protection. One came back up fine this morning. The other computer will start powering up but will not boot up on the monitor. The monitor shows no signal and goes to sleep. Fans come on normally but the fan to the power supply is noticeably very loud. Also the green light comes on the motherboard. The computer is not providing me with any beeps or blinking lights. I have attempted to bring up BIOS to see if the power supply is providing proper power but no luck using the F9 or the escape key.
Tried the Delete key?

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
i would try taking out the cmos battery and reset the motherboard.
put the battery in after 1 minute and see if you get some post.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
I have attempted to bring up BIOS to see if the power supply is providing proper power but no luck using the F9 or the escape key. I also unplugged the computer, hit and held the power button on for 30 seconds and tried a restart. Same problem. I pulled out all my RAM and tried a restart. Same problem.
is this a laptop? I dont recall any desktop (even HP) using f9 or escape, they all normally use F2 F8 or DELETE. Or is thing really that ancient?

Jagger

Thanks all. Read everything and just tried resetting the CMOS. Still same problem. Also the monitor is showing no signal and if I remember correctly, a bad video card can cause that problem. So I pulled out the video card and hooked up to the inherent computer video but still same problem. Also tried F2, F8 and delete as I have a desktop with no luck.

Unless someone can think of something else to check, I think it is time to get another power supply. The loud power supply fan within a minute of startup suggests to me overheating in the power supply. I strongly suspect it is bad. Maybe a short or something in the power supply. See if another power supply solves the problem. If it doesn't, I would guess the motherboard is bad. Which means pull out the hard drive to put in my other computer and then start looking for another Win10 computer.

PS: On the UPS. I would need two because my two computers are in different rooms. So maybe $180. Not sure it is worth it considering the low cost of my computers. Also I got my first computer in the mid-80s. I have always had computers since then and often multiple computers. So over the last 35 years or so, this is the first time I have had a serious problem after losing power. Makes me wonder just how big is the risk of damage due to power surge. Maybe the newer computers are more vulnerable than older computers were. Plus I did make a mistake by not unplugging my computers from the wall after the power outage. Apparently there is significant risk of power surge when the power comes back on. So next time I lose power, I will unplug from the wall. Maybe reduce my risk of damage by half.

Last edited:

Jagger

Put in the replacement power supply today and unfortunately, exactly the same problem. The power supply fan ramps up to max within about a minute. Nothing on the monitor at all. All I can guess is something on the motherboard is pulling a lot of power. Capacitors all look good and I don't see anything with burn marks. LED working on the motherboard. Well it was worth a shot.

Jagger

Well, pulled out the hard drive and put into my other computer. It is dead. Lesson learned. Next time, I lose power, I will turn off the surge protector and unplug from the wall. Now I am wondering if the graphics card is still good or the RAM.

I wonder why hard drives are not designed for easy recovery of data in the event of failure. I would definitely pay extra for that sort of feature.

System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar Max
Cooling Hyper 212
Memory 2x 16g ddr4 3200mz
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Storage 5.5 tb hd 220 g ssd
Display(s) Normal moniter
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
its called a backup
there is no real way to save the data if the disk dies

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
its called a backup
there is no real way to save the data if the disk dies

You can buy data recovery insurance, but it's pricey and still not a promise.

Just backup your important data.

System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar Max
Cooling Hyper 212
Memory 2x 16g ddr4 3200mz
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Storage 5.5 tb hd 220 g ssd
Display(s) Normal moniter
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
yeah in most cases make sure its off sight
i had a 12tb backup drive in my pc
and then the psu Exploded in powersurge and took all the drives and backup with them

Jagger

I have backup and only lost a few items of value but if the hard drive had survived, I would have stuck it in my new computer.

Still haven't checked to see if the video card is still good or the RAM. I will find out when the new computer arrives.

Jagger

I have been looking into this business of power surges. Turns out power surges can destroy or damage a whole variety of electric and electronic devices within the home in addition to a computer. Fortunately if you own your own home, there is whole house surge protection. Dependent on the cost, I may try out the protection added at both the meter and circuit box. For those interested, here is a youtube on various types of whole house surge protection.

Last edited: