• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Low hashrate for RX 470

lemdmg

So I am pretty new to mining and it is something I slowly wanted to get into to learn/mess around. I found some cheap mining rx 470s off eBay for $70. They came without the cooling shroud and were pretty heavily used. Anyways when I hooked them up with a PCI extender and switched them over to compute mode in the AMD drivers I ran them on Pheonix miner for ETH. Currently I am only getting 0.8 MH/s on these cards and I cannot really find the issue. I attempted to switch the BIOS but I am not sure what I am doing and the timing numbers do not match the videos I've watched. On top of that I am not really sure what the subvendor for the card is to switch the BIOS. It's obviously a card designed for mining as it only has one HDMI port. If anyone has any ideas to fix this I'd appreciate any help.

Attachments

• 55.png
    55.png
    616.4 KB · Views: 531
  • 5555.png
    5555.png
    48.4 KB · Views: 460
  • 555555.png
    555555.png
    50.4 KB · Views: 662
Hi,

I started mining last weekend with my RX 570 4Gb MSI Armor. It did 1.9MH/s max in Ethash. This seems to be extremely low and switching between gaming mode and compute mode did not change anythig. My drivers are updated, my memory clock is 2100, gpu clock 1100 and I'm using claymore and phoenix. The only thing that is not updated in my system is the bios of my motherboard. What am I doing wrong?
This quote is from another thread with the same problem as yours.
So I am pretty new to mining and it is something I slowly wanted to get into to learn/mess around. I found some cheap mining rx 470s off eBay for $70. They came without the cooling shroud and were pretty heavily used. Anyways when I hooked them up with a PCI extender and switched them over to compute mode in the AMD drivers I ran them on Pheonix miner for ETH. Currently I am only getting 0.8 MH/s on these cards and I cannot really find the issue. I attempted to switch the BIOS but I am not sure what I am doing and the timing numbers do not match the videos I've watched. On top of that I am not really sure what the subvendor for the card is to switch the BIOS. It's obviously a card designed for mining as it only has one HDMI port. If anyone has any ideas to fix this I'd appreciate any help.
4GB cards are weak at mining pure Ethereum because the DAG file size has increased over 4GBs. You may try running your card on 'Eth Zombie Mode' available on lolminer and some other miners or mine any other Ethash based coin if it gives you more profit with 4GB card, for example Vertcoin.

lemdmg

This quote is from another thread with the same problem as yours.

4GB cards are weak at mining pure Ethereum because the DAG file size has increased over 4GBs. You may try running your card on 'Eth Zombie Mode' available on lolminer and some other miners or mine any other Ethash based coin if it gives you more profit with 4GB card, for example Vertcoin.
So would 8GB cards still be feasible?

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Literally tested this myself with an RX470 yesterday out of boredom

Flashed to RX570, overclocked, underclocked, undervolted, overvolted, different drivers....

they just suck now. Need 8GB VRAM for them to get any useful hash rates, i was making a whopping $1.40 Au a day and gave up (forgot the MH rate)

I think nicehash have a bootable OS that reduces the VRAM footprint and might work?

Processor Amd Ryzen 7 Pro 1700@3.6Ghz
Motherboard Asus Prime B350 Plus (needed pci slot for Ht Omega Claro Halo)
Cooling Noctua C-14
Memory 16GB A-Data DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro Duo
Storage Patriot Torch 512gb, Seagate Barracuda 512gb , Adata 128gb SSDs & 1TB Western Digital Black
Display(s) Seiki 39" 4k
Case MetallicGear Neo Air
Audio Device(s) Ht Omega Claro Halo
Power Supply Rosewill Glacier 850 watts
Mouse Ancient Razor Diamondback
Keyboard Logitech Illuminated
Software Windows 10 Home 64-Bit
Mine Vertcoin. 4gb are fine for it and it's profitable. Also I don't know where all this info about bios modding is coming from. That's fine for people with alot of cards, but if you only have a few cards it's better just to use OverdriveNtool to undervolt and set clocks.

System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar Max
Cooling Hyper 212
Memory 2x 16g ddr4 3200mz
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Storage 5.5 tb hd 220 g ssd
Display(s) Normal moniter
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
This has got me thinking
is a 1060 6g or a 580 8g any good for mining
i have both the cards lying around and was wondering if i could make some money of them