• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

LSI Completes Acquisition of SandForce

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
LSI Corporation announced that it has completed the purchase of SandForce, Inc., the leading provider of flash storage processors for enterprise and client flash solutions and solid state drives (SSDs). With the addition of innovative flash-based storage solutions that accelerate application performance, LSI assumes a leadership position in the rapidly growing market for flash storage processors for ultrabook, notebook and enterprise SSD and flash solutions.

"Customer response to the announcement has been very positive and we are pleased to now be able to fully demonstrate the benefits of the combined technology capabilities of LSI and SandForce," said Jeff Richardson, executive vice president and chief operating officer. "Together, we offer the broadest storage technology portfolio in the industry, and are well positioned to help customers manage their growth and the explosive growth in data across enterprises and the cloud."

Flash storage processors provide the intelligence required to deliver the performance and low-latency benefits of flash storage in enterprise and client applications. SandForce's award-winning products improve the reliability, endurance and power efficiency of flash-based storage solutions, resulting in storage solutions that improve performance and deliver the durability required to more broadly adopt flash in mission-critical applications.

The SandForce team joins LSI as the newly formed Flash Components Division, headed by Michael Raam, formerly president and CEO of SandForce. Approximately 190 SandForce employees have joined the LSI team with the close of the transaction.

The company will provide more information on the acquisition on its fourth quarter earnings conference call.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

I wonder what will this mean to the existing OEM's that use SandForce drives and what will all this mean for SSD market considering SandForce has a very big chunk of this market...

System Name beast
Processor 3930K
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P SE2011
Memory 16GB Kingston Value DDR3 1333Mhz CL9
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus Elite RTX3060 12GB
Storage 1x 120GB Intel 520 and some spinny bois
Display(s) 3x DELL S2721DGF
Case Antec P182
Power Supply Corsair 750w
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10
^ first thing that came to mind was their 'close friendship' with OCZ.
Never cared much for LSI, found their products to be unnecessarily unfriendly compared to other high quality storage controller manufacturers. (suppose I shouldn't blame them in their entirety for their FW engineering teams flaws, meh)

Processor 8700k Intel
Motherboard z370 MSI Godlike Gaming
Cooling Triple Aquacomputer AMS Copper 840 with D5
Memory TridentZ RGB G.Skill C16 3600MHz
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 Ti
Storage Crucial MX SSDs
Display(s) Dell U3011 2560x1600 + Dell 2408WFP 1200x1920 (Portrait)
Case Core P5 Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) Essence STX
Power Supply AX 1500i
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win10
I think OCZ did a pretty good move with the acquisition of Indilinx, now they are shipping the Octane that has their proprietary controller :)
It will surely cover their ass if LSI screws up something with SF

Jarman

Processor Opty 165 @ 3011 MHz
Motherboard DFI NF4 SLI-D
Cooling Koolance Exos, DD TDX/Maze4 GPU
Memory 2GB G.Skill HZ DDR 500 Kit
Video Card(s) XFX Geforce 7900GT
Storage > 1.5 TB
Display(s) XEROX 19" TFT
Case Coolermaster ATCS 101
Audio Device(s) Creative X-FI
Power Supply OCZ 850W
Software XP serv pack 2
like if the drives crash 5x a day on an intel chipset??? coz that wold be a pretty big f**k up wouldn't it lol??

How I love ny agility 3 drive :love:

I think OCZ did a pretty good move with the acquisition of Indilinx, now they are shipping the Octane that has their proprietary controller :)
It will surely cover their ass if LSI screws up something with SF

I bet OCZ agrees..

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Honestly I dont think this is going to be bad for anyone. LSI has been around for a very long time. I even use one of tehir raid cards in my dual xeon server with some SCSI cheetah drives. It does a good job. Their not some cheap knock off company with enough money to buy a big one (SS) imo in this economy and the price of server stuff as it is I think their stable enough to make it worth while if they have made it far enough to buy out the leading SSD controller company for the consumer market.