• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Lung cell images show how intense a coronavirus infection can be

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
Yeah. Sorry. :(

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
These aren't lung cells by the way, these are mucosal skin cells, they are the ones with cilia clearing the passage ways.
Lung cells don't have these beautiful anemone thingies...

Untitled.png

Bronchial epithelial cells. They are lung cells. Lining the lungs. But they are still called lung cells. It is literally in the article. If this is what you're referring to?

I have nothing on you. It is just that ignorant guy who is trying to gaslight everything I say and virtue signalling by apologising thereafter. It is so ignorant to be pulled into the cyclejerk. If you add a reply block feature, it would be a treat.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
I understand. That is why a few posts were LQ'd.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I had covid in the last winter (only confirmed recently). It was a nasty thing that made you feel like you could not breathe, and to this day I feel I have reduced lung capacity.

I have a feeling it took more than a few years off my life.

Pretty sure that is what I had in January 2020, pneumonia for the first time in life is what the Doctor said. I call bs, but tests were not readily available then so I will never know. I 100% had covid in late November and early December, as an official test and my symptoms confirmed. Symptoms were completely different the second time I got it.

It has however motivated me to get super healthy, as I no longer can rely on the medical community to save me, they are just pill pushers who really don't care and never have in my experience. When I had salmonella poisoning at age 17 and couldn't afford the medicine, no one gave a damn, I just suffered and vomited for weeks, and more recently with Covid, my recovery would have went so much smoother if they hooked me up to a electrolyte water drip, because it was so damn hard to drink/eat, and I was sleeping a ton, and sweating a ton. Hospital not allowed to take me though unless unable to breathe, lol... because our trillion dollar healthcare system can't send a nurse to house down the road to hook me up to a drip and show my mom how to change the bag or something. Everything has become so political and bureaucratically buried through red-tape it is clear to me now the medical community can never help me, and I must help myself.

I work out daily now, and the last 3 years taking high quality vitamins/minerals, and water only for last 5 years. /flex

Covid experience has only reinforced my beliefs.

If you LQ that one statement where he preaches second guessing basic biology that would be great.
Look, I would love to state it is lungs. It is not. If it were, we wouldn't have lung transplants. I hope the message is clear.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Pretty sure that is what I had in January 2020, pneumonia for the first time in life is what the Doctor said. I call bs, but tests were not readily available then so I will never know. I 100% had covid in late November and early December, as an official test and my symptoms confirmed. Symptoms were completely different the second time I got it.

It has however motivated me to get super healthy, as I no longer can rely on the medical community to save me, they are just pill pushers who really don't care and never have in my experience. When I had salmonella poisoning at age 17 and couldn't afford the medicine, no one gave a damn, I just suffered and vomited for weeks, and more recently with Covid, my recovery would have went so much smoother if they hooked me up to a electrolyte water drip, because it was so damn hard to drink/eat, and I was sleeping a ton, and sweating a ton. Hospital not allowed to take me though unless unable to breathe, lol... because our trillion dollar healthcare system can't send a nurse to house down the road to hook me up to a drip and show my mom how to change the bag or something. Everything has become so political and bureaucratically buried through red-tape it is clear to me now the medical community can never help me, and I must help myself.

I work out daily now, and the last 3 years taking high quality vitamins/minerals, and water only for last 5 years. /flex

Covid experience has only reinforced my beliefs.

January is about when I had it too, maybe late december but hard to say because felt mild like allergies at first.

my recovery would have went so much smoother if they hooked me up to a electrolyte water drip, because it was so damn hard to drink/eat, and I was sleeping a ton,

That is some sick diarrhea. Big props! Try to eat mashed potatoes, and yoghurt next time.
I once caught the same ailment from eating mussels. Lost 15 pounds at one week mark. Best diet ever.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
That is some sick diarrhea. Big props! Try to eat mashed potatoes, and yoghurt next time.
I once caught the same ailment from eating mussels. Lost 15 pounds at one week mark. Best diet ever.

Wouldn't call it the best diet ever, I was crying alone almost every night cause I was 17 and thought I was dying.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
With COVID being a vascular disease, it can do a heck of a lot more than just damage your lungs. It amazes me that some people don't take it seriously.

I don't know, hitting a lamppost at 100 mk/h can also do a lot more damage than people realize, wont really change anything knowing that.

It's an infectious diseases, almost everyone will get it no matter how serious or not they think it is and how bad it will affect them wont change either based on that.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
almost everyone will get it no matter how serious or not they think it is and how bad it will affect them wont change either based on that.

That isn't a certainty, and more medical knowledge of the implications of being infected is never a bad thing.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
That isn't a certainty, and more medical knowledge of the implications of being infected is never a bad thing.

The new UK variant has already spread to 4 other countries officially, probably many more unofficially. and it spreads 70% faster than the first variant of covid. there is no stopping it, unless we get lucky and a vaccine really does provide immunity for 12+ months. any less than that and too much of the population that doesn't get the vaccine will keep it hopping around until your vaccine wears off.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
The new UK variant has already spread to 4 other countries officially, probably many more unofficially. and it spreads 70% faster than the first variant of covid. there is no stopping it, unless we get lucky and a vaccine really does provide immunity for 12+ months. any less than that and too much of the population that doesn't get the vaccine will keep it hopping around until your vaccine wears off.

I wasn't claiming we'd stop it, only disputing the claim that catching it is a certainty.

This is the tropic effect. It goes on so long as there is new viral contagion, that is what the lockdowns are supposed to protect you from.
Even an attenuated, live, virus vaccine can develop this and become infective again(which some live vaccines do, like the polio jonas salk vaccine).
The question is how many times the virus has spread between hosts. It is a low possibility due to the virus losing all its pathogenicity along the way without its prior host adaptation traits which are stripped during the vaccine process, but it can happen if you continually feed the troll. It only takes a few frame shifts.

Last edited:
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Yeah thanks, Australia is one of those countries now due to some idiot traveling overseas when borders should be locked to prevent this.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
The 'UK' variant also emerged independently in South Africa. I imagine it's possible it happened in other countries too - it's just a matter of time before these mutations (which follow genetic transcription 'errors') occur naturally in the population given the spread of the virus. Though, if mainly UK based, it's our first proper Brexit export. :roll:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Yeah thanks, Australia is one of those countries now due to some idiot traveling overseas when borders should be locked to prevent this.

I was surprised to learn about the travel as well, I just assumed most traveling internationally was locked down by now... I know the airline I travel with has no flights scheduled until April.

The 'UK' variant also emerged independently in South Africa. I imagine it's possible it happened in other countries too - it's just a matter of time before these mutations (which follow genetic transcription 'errors') occur naturally in the population given the spread of the virus. Though, if mainly UK based, it's our first proper Brexit export. :roll:
This isn't an error. It is an adaptation. It is called tropism. Faster in species phenotypes increase in the gene pool. It is the opposite of a vaccine. You are helping the virus gain persistence by serial infections by providing new hosts. Just like vaccines blunt such competitive traits by providing no competition for the virus, these amplify them by selecting for them in a race condition. How do you stop it? By making tropism indeterminant in the virus'es replication cycle: you multiply it in a tube.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
A genetic mutation that enables better survivalism is technically an error. That it's beneficial to the organism is secondary. Genetic mutation is a natural but 'random' process. We don't hear about failed mutations. Only those that provide a beneficial outcome.

Adaptation is a human retrospective of hindsight. The virus didn't adapt. It just mutated.

A genetic mutation that enables better survivalism is technically an error. That it's beneficial to the organism is secondary. Genetic mutation is a natural but 'random' process. We don't hear about failed mutations. Only those that provide a beneficial outcome.

Adaptation is a human retrospective of hindsight. The virus didn't adapt. It just mutated.
That is a just bogus. Darwin invented evolution whereas Mendel founded the genetics. Especially, when it comes to genetics, it is a huge fallacy to explain with Darwin, especially since Darwin did not have any medium for what he found, like the genes.
With viruses, it is a grey area between inheritance or epigenetics since the limited genome changes a lot. For it to be called epigenetics, the gene has to stay constant while epigenetic modification has to be the adaptation, not the gene itself; however it is still a modification to what happens in its tropism: if it changes a lot, it ceases to function. So it doesn't evolve, it gains adaptation traits which are lost when say, adapting to bats, or minks. Each host has a different tropism.

PS: if you want it to mutate, it has to have a different survival method than tropism - like integrating into the genome. That way it doesn't hurt the virus to make bad copies while in tropic events they do.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
I seriously would rather not get into a "Evolution is Bogus" debate here. Lets stick to what we know.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
Much of evolutionary biology (which viral mutation comes into) is played out on an accidental stage. A virus does not choose to adapt to it's host. A whole meaure of mutations occur and one might work. That's not intentional. Mutation is random. Yes, there are environmental factors which can influence mutation (normally on very sort term scales) but in general, it is random. 1000 mutations are worthless to that organsim at that time but if one works - presto - evolution.

As for the Mendel Darwin issue - what the latter explained is not diminished by the discovery of genetics - if anything, the genetic field helps support Darwin's theory of the diversification of a species.

Adaptation is a deliberate process (to adapt to overcome) - mutations, by and large, are not deliberate. But as R-T-B says, this isn't a thread on evolutionary biology. Nor are many of us skilled enought to discuss it omn the genetic level, except perhaps for @xkm1948.

r9

System Name Primary|Secondary|Poweredge r410|Dell XPS|SteamDeck
Processor i7 11700k|i7 9700k|2 x E5620 |i5 5500U|Zen 2 4c/8t
Memory 32GB DDR4|16GB DDR4|16GB DDR4|32GB ECC DDR3|8GB DDR4|16GB LPDDR5
Video Card(s) RX 7800xt|RX 6700xt |On-Board|On-Board|8 RDNA 2 CUs
Storage 2TB m.2|512GB SSD+1TB SSD|2x256GBSSD 2x2TBGB|256GB sata|512GB nvme
Display(s) 50" 4k TV | Dell 27" |22" |3.3"|7"
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey+ | Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 Pro|Windows 10 Pro|Windows 10 Home| Server 2012 r2|Windows 10 Pro
Way to keep a thread like this open ... you just have to suck in the moderator into the conversation. :D

Much of evolutionary biology (which viral mutation comes into) is played out on an accidental stage. A virus does not choose to adapt to it's host. A whole meaure of mutations occur and one might work. That's not intentional. Mutation is random.
That is attribution bias. You are projecting that it has no meaning, however it has. 2nd Thermodynamic preservation of energy law. What keeps a virus present is the same as more stable forms of chemical compounds being present in life. It is a form of energy conservation.

you just have to suck in the moderator into the conversation. :D
Well, unless I do, trolls fester.

the genetic field helps support Darwin's theory of the diversification of a species.
That is false. If there is a simpler explanation, that one is true.

1000 mutations are worthless to that organsim at that time but if one works - presto - evolution.
That is special exception attribution. Neither of these are any less important, they all serve to save energy.
It is the reason DNA came after RNA since it is a more stable form of chemical reaction...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.