• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

M4A79 Deluxe + BIOS 1402 + AMD Overdrive

Processor AMD Phenom II 1055T @ 3.6ghz 1.3V
Motherboard Asus M5A97 EVO
Cooling Xigmatek SD1284
Memory 2x4GB Patriot Sector 5 PC3-12800 @ 7-8-7-24-1T 1.7V
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 7950 DD @ 1100/1350 1.185V
Storage OCZ Agility 3 120GB + 2x7200.12 500GB Raid1
Display(s) QNIX QX2710 27" LCD 1440p @ 120hz
Case Cooler Master 690M
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Enermax Liberty 620W Eco Edition
Software Windows 7 Professional x64 / Ubuntu 12.04 x64
I'd like to first give a heads up to owners of this board that BIOS 1402 just came out. Unfortunately, there's no changelog yet, but there are a couple of differences I just found out off the bat.

They all pertain to AMD Overdrive. I've attached a couple pictures to show it off. With this new BIOS, it "unlocked" support in Overdrive for adjusting the northbridge multiplier, CAS Latency, and memory divider. Now, none of these settings can go into effect without rebooting the machine, but like adjusting the ACC settings, they actually adjust the BIOS settings as well. Why is this useful if you still have to reboot and you could just do it in the BIOS settings anyway? Still wondering about that...

Also new is that for the first time, it accurately gives (as accurate as the BIOS monitor screen is) voltages values in Overdrive (and temperatures) on the overclocking screen. Also, they added some things call CPU EXTRA-OV and VDDNB EXTRA-OV. I've tried increasing these values, but it didn't seem to do anything, but I'll update if I find something.

I'll update this post when the changelog is present. But for now, the point of this is to inform people that it looks like AMD Overdrive 3 has many hidden features that BIOS manufacturers are able to unlock as they please with BIOS updates!

Attachments