• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MAINGEAR Announces Relief for Haiti Charity Auction

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
MAINGEAR Computers, award-winning builders of high performance custom computers, is proud to announce the Relief for Haiti Charity Auction in benefit of Save the Children to help support the victims of the earthquake in Haiti. This special edition SHIFT will feature one of the last remaining AMD Phenom II X4 TWKR processors, of which only a few dozen were made. The last time one of these processors went up for sale on eBay for charity, it went for over $10,000 - just for the CPU. For this charity event MAINGEAR is building a whole computer around it with signed hardware and software from industry partners including Microsoft, Valve, SilverStone, Kingston, and Psyko Audio.

"We're thrilled that so many of our industry partners leapt at the opportunity to support this cause." said Wallace Santos, CEO and Founder of MAINGEAR. "With AMD's TWKR, this is truly a special system and it should generate a significant donation to Save the Children's worthy cause."

This unique MAINGEAR SHIFT comes with a Radeon HD 5970 signed by AMD CEO Dirk Meyer, a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate signed by Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer, and a copy of Left 4 Dead 2 signed by Gabe Newell and the crew at Valve. In addition, MAINGEAR will be donating 10% of all sales of AMD-based SHIFT PCs to Save the Children for the duration of the auction.

For additional information on the Relief for Haiti Charity Auction and how to bid on the system, please visit Maingear. If you are interested in being an official media partner for this cause, please contact Chris Morley at chris@maingear.com.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited by a moderator:

Phxprovost

Xtreme Refugee
System Name Result of Boredom
Processor AMD FX-6350
Motherboard ASUS M5A97
Cooling Enzo Tech Extreme-X
Memory 16gb ddr3
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Display(s) Asus 24in (1920X1080) X 2 @144hz
Case NZXT S340
Software WIN7 64bit HP
...........:rolleyes:

System Name TaichiTig
Processor i7 6800K
Motherboard ASRock X99 Taichi
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Storage SSD + Misc. HDDs in DrivePool
Display(s) BenQ PD3200U, Samsung C32HG70
Case Antec Twelve Hundred
Audio Device(s) Behringer UMC404HD, LSR308, Shure SRH840, AKG K612, Etymotic HF5
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Deck Legend Ice Tactile
Software Win10
Well of course many of their industry partners "leapt at the opportunity to support this cause.” Small cost, big publicity. You don't really have to care in the slightest about Haiti to run a promotion (because that's what it is) like this.

Not that there's anything wrong with promoting your own business while doing some good.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Small cost, big publicity. You don't really have to care in the slightest about Haiti to run a promotion (because that's what it is) like this.

that's exactly what i thought when i signed up tpu as media partner for this

System Name TaichiTig
Processor i7 6800K
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Audio Device(s) Behringer UMC404HD, LSR308, Shure SRH840, AKG K612, Etymotic HF5
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Win10
that's exactly what i thought when i signed up tpu as media partner for this

Just because you don't have to care about Haiti to be involved doesn't mean you don't care. I chose my words carefully for exactly that reason. ;)

And like I also said, there's not necessarily anything wrong with getting some promotion while doing good.

System Name HAL
Processor Core i5 2500K
Motherboard Asus P8P67 Pro Rev3.1
Cooling stock
Memory 2x4GB Kingston 1600Mhz Blu
Video Card(s) Asus 560Ti DirectCuII TOP
Storage Kingston 120 3K SSD,WD Black WD1502FAEX
Display(s) LG 1440x900
Case Chieftec Mesh Midi
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750V2
Software w8
Money makes the world go around...

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
but the biggest problem now a side from all the disease spreading because of rotting corpses. there have been many & major complaints about aid/supplies etc etc not reaching the Haiti people - despite each country raising over millions in funds to help these people, they are just not receiving it. so somewhere along the line there are probably some people with itchy hands that are supposedly siphoning off small or large amounts at a time or just not communicating between organizations/agencies to make sure that whatever needs to be done is done & not just left at the runway waiting for that flight to take the supplies to Haiti where it can actually do a lot of good.

the more money Organizations & Agencies receive from governments & the public - the less they want to do & they are quite happy to hide away millions of yours/everyone's donations while providing little relief to those who really matter because lets face it - its not everyday that there is a humanitarian crisis so bad that makes the whole world sit up n bark.

thats not to badmouth the companies/agencies/organizations that have been honest with what they've been given & put it too good use. I'm sure there are some hard workers out there who really deserve the praise & respect of everyone.

more communication is needed & there needs to be a external board setup that MANAGES the donations to make sure that every dollar/cent/pound/penny or Euro (etc etc etc) that you donate for-fills the purpose or the cause that its donated for & not ending down some corporate FAT CATS pocket.

So as much as i respect MAINGEAR & their sentiments/intentions. I'm skeptical about how much of whatever they make at final auction will actually make it to Haiti.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
but the biggest problem now a side from all the disease spreading because of rotting corpses. there have been many & major complaints about aid/supplies etc etc not reaching the Haiti people - despite each country raising over millions in funds to help these people, they are just not receiving it. so somewhere along the line there are probably some people with itchy hands that are supposedly siphoning off small or large amounts at a time or just not communicating between organizations/agencies to make sure that whatever needs to be done is done & not just left at the runway waiting for that flight to take the supplies to Haiti where it can actually do a lot of good.

the more money Organizations & Agencies receive from governments & the public - the less they want to do & they are quite happy to hide away millions of yours/everyone's donations while providing little relief to those who really matter because lets face it - its not everyday that there is a humanitarian crisis so bad that makes the whole world sit up n bark.

thats not to badmouth the companies/agencies/organizations that have been honest with what they've been given & put it too good use. I'm sure there are some hard workers out there who really deserve the praise & respect of everyone.

more communication is needed & there needs to be a external board setup that MANAGES the donations to make sure that every dollar/cent/pound/penny or Euro (etc etc etc) that you donate for-fills the purpose or the cause that its donated for & not ending down some corporate FAT CATS pocket.

So as much as i respect MAINGEAR & their sentiments/intentions. I'm skeptical about how much of whatever they make at final auction will actually make it to Haiti.

I've grown old enough to realize that sticking it to the man is not only a waste of time, but also immature. Big business (or Capitalism for that matter) does not equate to greed and evil.

Assuming a company supporting a disaster relief to be anything but virtuous and genuine, is not really in my nature anymore.

However...this smacks true of the same old story where it's quite ironic how certain parties or companies or organizations only seem to get involved in things that make a particular level of headline. If they were really concerned about the 'welfare' of something, it doesn't have to be on a global scale in order for them to contribute aid. <---this is often what you find with private party donators and volunteers. They may be one person, or a small group of persons, who don't have millions to throw around, but they do what they can.

More importantly, they don't involve the public, or the government. Hence it's private. The goal is to help, not make a percentage, or promote themselves or etc.

You're right, some publicity whilst doing a good deed is not shameful, but publicity involves the public, and the public (the portion that doesn't want to help) doesn't need to be involved in the matter in anyway whatsoever. If they really wanted to help they would, in their own way.

The greatest example has to be missionaries in somewhere like Burma..insane yes..but they believe in it. Any computer companies out there helping aid the slaughter in Burma?

Just makes you think...

System Name TaichiTig
Processor i7 6800K
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Win10
Well said newconroer.

ChrisMorley

I guess what they say is true - no good deed goes unpunished.

If this was a publicity stunt, we would have "pulled it" the week it happened. Instead, we wanted to put together something really special. That meant going up the channels at three major corporations, AMD, Microsoft, and Valve to get the TOP executives to sign gear for the system.

We then donated our time - and LOTS of it - delaying the launch of our laptop line as well - to put this together.

None of us had the money to contribute what all of us are going to at MAINGEAR.

Wallace, our CEO, is Brazilian - and watches a lot of Brazilian news. Which isn't filtered like US news. After we got back from CES he was watching what was going on down there. He called me up one night really shook up about what he saw.

This is what we have done for this particular tragedy. If we can do something else in the future for someone else, we'll try. We're lucky we're in the position to do this. The SHIFT was a major launch for us and we've never found ourselves in the position financially to help in this way.

It's a helluva lot better than doing nothing. The auction is at $3,150 with 4 days to go - thanks in part to the media getting the word out. It's all going to Save the Children.

You make it sound like we're a big greedy corporation. They are out there. The 15 of us certainly aren't.

Chris Morley
Chief Technology Officer
MAINGEAR

Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
just to clarify - because it seems that my previous post is being misunderstood....

Chris - I applaud what you (MAINGEAR) are doing & i'm not accusing anyone or any organization/agency of foul play but it is a general observation that has been bought up many times over the last few years when natural disasters like hurricane Katrina & all the previous (forgive me - I cant remember them all but there have been a fair few within the last 10 years) ones have made global news & the world unites to offer aid to those who have had their lives devastated by such acts of God that despite all the funds raised towards the cause very little feedback of where it goes or what was done with it. the bbc news even had a report a few years ago that a warehouse in a 3rd world country had piles of food & other supplies that were just sitting there rotting away in the heat while all the countries people just carried on living in starvation & poverty.

People raise millions but where does it all go?

ChrisMorley

just to clarify - because it seems that my previous post is being misunderstood....

Chris - I applaud what you (MAINGEAR) are doing & i'm not accusing anyone or any organization/agency of foul play but it is a general observation that has been bought up many times over the last few years when natural disasters like hurricane Katrina & all the previous (forgive me - I cant remember them all but there have been a fair few within the last 10 years) ones have made global news & the world unites to offer aid to those who have had their lives devastated by such acts of God that despite all the funds raised towards the cause very little feedback of where it goes or what was done with it. the bbc news even had a report a few years ago that a warehouse in a 3rd world country had piles of food & other supplies that were just sitting there rotting away in the heat while all the countries people just carried on living in starvation & poverty.

People raise millions but where does it all go?

I agree with you - I read your post earlier today - it's the subsequent posts that I was referring to. The charities are having a hard time getting in. Of course, flying in Scientologists with e-meters doesn't help. Things are a mess down there. But Save the Children is down there and getting some stuff done. We picked this charity because of their track record. Even if the money doesn't get to them tomorrow - it'll get down there - there's a lot of work to do for a very long time.

ChrisMorley

About 506,581 beneficiaries have been reached to date.

250,808 people have received food from Save the Children.

12 mobile clinics in Port-au-Prince are providing health care.

12 Child Friendly Spaces were established in Port-au-Prince, and 7 in Jacmel, with an average of 3,038 children participating in activities each day.

Save the Children has reached a total of 7,575 households with plastic sheets and other materials packaged into “shelter kits” and “hygiene kits.

www.savethechildren.org

Save the Children has worked in Haiti since 1978 and currently has about 353 staff on the ground.

System Name TaichiTig
Processor i7 6800K
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Win10
As newconroer said, "....the public (the portion that doesn't want to help) doesn't need to be involved in the matter in anyway whatsoever." That is what makes this, at least in part, a promotion. Nobody is saying you have to be a "big greedy corporation" to take the opportunity for big publicity from this. And I've already said (as did newconroer) that there's not necessarily anything wrong with promoting your business while doing some good.

In fact, I applaud the effort (promotion part of it aside) because the technology industry is closely linked with the "common good." Technology that finds its way to the medical fields (whether through genetic research, general medical R&D, or computers and software that do everything from hearing tests to EKGs) is often pioneered here, by community-driven demand for companies that, again and again, take personal computing to the next level. Sometimes the link is even more direct, via things like Folding@home. The gaming organization I am starting with some friends (Regenesis) has involvement in community as one of its main purposes, through FAH and promoting technologies that better or will better our world (as well as more hands-on things like sending crews to volunteer for disaster relief, etc.)

The fact that there is a strong link between computer technology and the progress and bettering of our world, is inadequately recognized and I commend those who uphold and further that connection.

No good deed has been punished here.

System Name HAL
Processor Core i5 2500K
Motherboard Asus P8P67 Pro Rev3.1
Cooling stock
Memory 2x4GB Kingston 1600Mhz Blu
Video Card(s) Asus 560Ti DirectCuII TOP
Storage Kingston 120 3K SSD,WD Black WD1502FAEX
Display(s) LG 1440x900
Case Chieftec Mesh Midi
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750V2
Software w8
Death needs to be commercially attractive in order to put it on TV everyday. Dont forget you also need to be able to take a camera there so you can put poor ppl along side your logo so idiots will think you actually give a F.