• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Major problems mounting EKWB Quantum Vector 3090 FE Special Edition waterblock

System Name Blackbird
Processor AMD Threadripper 3960X 24-core
Motherboard Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Master
Cooling Full custom-loop water cooling, mostly Aqua Computer and EKWB stuff!
Memory 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident-Z RGB @3733-CL14
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Storage Samsung 950PRO 512GB, Crusial P5 2TB, Samsung 850PRO 1TB
Display(s) LG 38GN950-B 38" IPS TFT, Dell U3011 30" IPS TFT
Case CaseLabs TH10A
Audio Device(s) Edifier S1000DB
Power Supply ASUS ROG Thor 1200W (SeaSonic)
Mouse Logitech MX Master
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex M800
Software MS Windows 10 Pro for Workstation
Benchmark Scores A lot.
Does anyone else with a Nvidia 3090FE and the EKWB Quantum Vector FE Special Edition waterblock has major problems fitting it to the card?
It seems like there are either different revisions to the 3090 FE boards or the manufacturing from EK is just not precise enough. Let me show you what I did:

I first disassembled the stock cooler, which really went like a breeze, no problems whatsoever.
IMG1.jpg

The first thing that really bugged me was, that there simply was no manual on how to mount the EKWB block in the packaging. Luckily I found the PDF on the product page at EKs website.
After carefully cutting all thermal pads and placing them onto the PCB along with pasting the GPU, I tried placing the PCB ontop of the block. There are a few things that don't seem to be right here:

First thing is, that on the block itself, there are two stand-offs with threads inside on the bottom side (PCIe slot) where no holes in the PCB itself exist to put a screw through. So these stand-offs are pressing against the naked PCB, which isn't optimal to say the least. There also is no hole in the backplate to mount something onto those stand-offs either?!
IMG2.jpg

You can screw those stand-offs out, but I decided to leave them in there and insulated the PCB with a small sheet of Kapton tape, just to be sure. Maybe they are there to support the PCB if the backplate is mounted to prevent PCB warping? Weird solution nonetheless.
IMG3.jpg

Moving on: The by far biggest issue now was the fact that if the PCB is placed on top of the block (which has a very tight fit), not all screws can reach their respective threads through the PCB. It looked like the PCB was shifted a bit too far down.
IMG4.jpg

After a bit of head-scratching and further inspection, it seemed that on the top right corner where the rounding edge of the PCB is, the waterblock is just too tightly manufactured and not meeting the shape of the PCB as it should be.
IMG5.jpg

There are to options: file down the edge on the block or file down the edge on the PCB to make it fit. The PCB seemed to have a large ground plane on that edge as it appears, so I decided to file the edge of the PCB down about ~0.5mm with a small needle file. That was no easy decision given the price and availability of the 3090FE!
The result looked like this:
IMG6.jpg

Now everything seems to fit very nicely into the block.
IMG7.jpg

Now the mounting screws are perfectly aligned and can be screwed through the backplate.
IMG8.jpg

Again, just to be safe: I decided to put additional Kapton tape around the filed down edge of the PCB.
IMG9.jpg

After everything mounted together, the precision which is expected for a block like this is simply not there. Sure from afar it looks nice and stuff, but for instance the clearance between backplate and cold plate is not equal and looks kind of crooked to me?! I only used the supplied thermal pads, so that does not seem to be the culprit here.
Also the PCB lays flat on the block and cannot be pushed further down (see the 12-pin MicroFit connector for example).
IMG10.jpg

Also there is a hole in the backplane on the terminal side upper left corner where a small connector sits on the PCB. I suppose this hole is placed there to make room for this connector? At least on my card this hole does not line up with anything properly and it's purpose is only a guess. Perhaps someone from EK can clarify this.
IMG11.jpg

I wonder if anyone else with a 3090FE and this EKWB block has similar issues mounting both together or if this is just because of an early batch with prototype status? I mean this block alone costs 330€, which is A LOT for a GPU water block. I think for that kind of money, a customer can expect a better experience and should not be forced to modify the PCB of a 1500€ GPU just to fit this cooler!

I just can't believe that EK does miss so many little things with this cooler, that the only explanation left is that there are different PCB versions in the field for the 3090 FE. Mine is bought January 2021. Don't know how to get manufacturing dates though.

Last edited:
Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
What the FIVE?

Why you ground down your pcb on a 1.5k+ gpu just to fit a block that wasn't designed right. Mind blown. I still don't get it. You should have sent that block back.

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
Oh boy. STOP!
Call or email EK and find out what your options are. They actually have really good cs reps. If the block is borked dont potentially damage your gpu to make it fit,EVER. Send it back and get a proper replacement. Filing your gpu pcb is never a good option.

System Name Sunk Cost Fallacy
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev. 7
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X
Storage WD Black SN850X 1TB + 2x 2TB, 2x 4TB Crucial MX500, 4TB Samsung 870 Evo.
Display(s) Alienware AW2723DF, LG 27GR93U, LG 27GN950-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion Series 2 III, Sennheiser GSP600 and HD599 SE - Creative Soundblaster X4
Power Supply bequiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500w Titanium
Mouse Logitech GPRO X Superlight & G502 X
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Mini, Razer Black Widow V3 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
System Name Blackbird
Case CaseLabs TH10A
Mouse Logitech MX Master
Benchmark Scores A lot.
We'll see how this plays out and if the card still works. I haven't finished the loop yet. All I wanted was to know if anyone else had problems mounting this particular block to a 3090 FE and if there are different revisions of the PCB out there or if I just had bad luck getting a monday block.

Although, I did not take the decision lightly I might add. I checked everything multiple times carefully. The block did not seem to be damaged or not carefully designed and manufactured. All seems to be accurately and precisely manufactured, just not fitting for my particular PCB/card. So maybe filing down the PCB wasn't the best idea, but I doubt just getting another block from EK wouldn't have fixed the problem for me. As I said: manufacturing of the block seemed flawless, hence my guess of different revisions of the PCB.

Given that, this does not explain, why there are stand-offs with threads on the cold plate on places where no holes are in the PCB and also no holes are in the backplate to screw anything through?! That just must be an oversight on EKs part.

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
Just one question... Did you contact EK for their support with your findings before you filed down your GPU PCB??

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I know EK's packaging is bland, but can you confirm you actually got the right block? 3080FE vs 3090FE or some small detail like that?

System Name Blackbird
Case CaseLabs TH10A
Mouse Logitech MX Master
Benchmark Scores A lot.
Just one question... Did you contact EK for their support with your findings before you filed down your GPU PCB??
I did contacted them, but not before my "modification". We'll see how this plays out. As said, I don't think an exchange from EK had much (if anything) chance of success. My block does not look like it was obviously faulty.

I know EK's packaging is bland, but can you confirm you actually got the right block? 3080FE vs 3090FE or some small detail like that?
Definitely 3090 FE! The 3090 is much taller and also has SLI/NV-Link fingers where the 3080 FE does not. My block has a cut-out (closed with a cap) for these connectors. You can see them on one of the pictures.

System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar Max
Cooling Hyper 212
Memory 2x 16g ddr4 3200mz
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Storage 5.5 tb hd 220 g ssd
Display(s) Normal moniter
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
I dont see any reason why it wouldent work
it doesn't seem like anything important is their

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
I did contacted them, but not before my "modification". We'll see how this plays out. As said, I don't think an exchange from EK had much (if anything) chance of success. My block does not look like it was obviously faulty.

Definitely 3090 FE! The 3090 is much taller and also has SLI/NV-Link fingers where the 3080 FE does not. My block has a cut-out (closed with a cap) for these connectors. You can see them on one of the pictures.
I had issues with a motherboard water block years ago, my EVGA Classified 4 way board. The piece covering the south bridge they didn't machine out, so when putting in a GPU into the slot, it never really fit in properly and was always hanging out the motherboard.

They sent me one and it was just machined down.. Worked perfectly. Still have it here with me today for my sins :)

System Name Blackbird
Case CaseLabs TH10A
Mouse Logitech MX Master
Benchmark Scores A lot.
I've checked the official EK webshop images again and even there you can see those additional stand offs with no screw holes in the backplane.
1620720260529.png

A PCB shot from the 3090 FE review on igorslab.de reveals that there are also no holes in the PCB on that bottom left edge for these stand offs.
My PCB looks exactly like Igor's, even the slightly overhanging right edge of the mounting hole on the upper right rounded corner is there.

1620720276008.png

Processor AMD 5900x
Cooling Hardware Labs
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Did you read the manual carefully? The block is only mounted with FOUR SCREWS, the main four around the core. Any unused standoffs are just that standoffs, they are structural to prevent the pcb from bending, etc. The backplate takes another four screws not including its trim cover. And if you look closely the back plate has no holes where you pointed out that the pcb has no hole matching standoff. You can see that clearly in the block pick above my post. There's a standoff but it's not mounted thru the backplate, because that's how they designed it, ie. structural but not for mounting. * I should prob clarify my point by stating that the manual doesn't instruct one to install a screw into the standoff/s where there are no holes.

Last edited:
System Name Blackbird
Case CaseLabs TH10A
Mouse Logitech MX Master
Benchmark Scores A lot.
Yes I figured that, especially the part where neither the backplate nor the PCB has holes for standoffs with threads inside. And as I wrote above I left these standoffs in there because I guessed they might be helpful for structural support. Nonetheless, I find it very odd that these are bare metal standoffs with threads inside pressing on the bare PCB without protection. Every other contact from the block to the PCB is protected by thermal pads and if no screw is needed there, is machined out as a block and not a screwed-in standoff. The screwed standoffs do press against the holes in the PCB where the PCB is reinforced with a grounded copper layer and small solder bumps. I hope you get my point here.

While we're at it, the manual also instructs you to place a lot of even very small pieces of thermal pads on various components. Some of those components do not have contact to the cold plate even with a pad on them. So that doesn't make sense either.

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
There's will be different thickness pads, you will need to be careful where you put them. Normally EK manuals aren't too bad...

System Name Blackbird
Case CaseLabs TH10A
Mouse Logitech MX Master
Benchmark Scores A lot.
This block only has 1.0 mm pads.

Processor AMD 5900x
Cooling Hardware Labs
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Yes I figured that, especially the part where neither the backplate nor the PCB has holes for standoffs with threads inside. And as I wrote above I left these standoffs in there because I guessed they might be helpful for structural support. Nonetheless, I find it very odd that these are bare metal standoffs with threads inside pressing on the bare PCB without protection. Every other contact from the block to the PCB is protected by thermal pads and if no screw is needed there, is machined out as a block and not a screwed-in standoff. The screwed standoffs do press against the holes in the PCB where the PCB is reinforced with a grounded copper layer and small solder bumps. I hope you get my point here.

While we're at it, the manual also instructs you to place a lot of even very small pieces of thermal pads on various components. Some of those components do not have contact to the cold plate even with a pad on them. So that doesn't make sense either.
This is all in your head. The standoffs with no holes don't get direct clamping pressure. Actually that whole half of the board doesn't even matter. Go look at the other blocks, like for ex. a Bylski that I use atm. EK uses structural standoffs where Bylski doesn't but neither clamps down on anything on that side of the pcb.

This is insane man. You doubt the EK block so your answer is to file your gpu's pcb down. I don't see anything wrong with EK's instructions, whether I like that block or not is another story. But I do think your thinking is really flawed.

System Name Blackbird
Case CaseLabs TH10A
Mouse Logitech MX Master
Benchmark Scores A lot.
You doubt the EK block so your answer is to file your gpu's pcb down.
This has nothing to do with doubt. The board just wasn't going to fit in there. I couldn't put the screws in to properly mount it because the screw holes were offset to the holes in the PCB as I mentioned.

Don't get me wrong, I really like this block. Maybe I'm not sold on this whole "hybrid backplane cooling thing", but other than that I was really looking forward to get this (and also waited a very long time while this was on pre-order).

System Name Blackbird
Case CaseLabs TH10A
Mouse Logitech MX Master
Benchmark Scores A lot.
So EK got back to me after they consulted their R&D department and they kind of tried to play it down. They could not find evidence of different revisions of the board and said that most people would mount the block anyways without looking for some slight misalignments and such. May be true, but does not make the situation any better.

There sure are some manufacturing tolerances which in most cases might make mounting the block only a tight fit, but sometimes it makes mounting impossible like it was the case with at least my block/board and the few others that are in the same boat. I guess it is bad luck on our side. EK is not of much help here. They are slacking big time as of late I guess.

I replied to them and explained my concerns in detail. Let's see if they take this critique seriously or choose to ignore it.

I mean after all we are talking about a 330€ water block with a fully paid in advance 12 week manufacturing/delivery time. This is about as expansive as a water block can get and I think a customer of such a premium product can expect a premium product that works.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Looks like the fault is with the PCB not the block.