• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Major Problems with newly released Acer X35 and Asus ROG SWIFT PG35VQ. Nvidia, Acer and Asus are silent about it.

These monitors cost a lot and are targeted for the ultimate G Sync expirience but they seems to have a major flaw and Nvidia and the manufacturers are completely silent about it.

I am hoping that @W1zzard can do something with this info to spread awareness.

It was first brought to light by PCMonitors.info during the review of the X35 predator. Starts a few seconds after the tomb raider scene.

( also discussed in comments under the video)

First PG35VQ user reported similar problem: https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/comments/ctd1y3 You can clearly see the backlight turning on and off and some vertical lines showing up.

Second PG35VQ User :
9tThis one might eb different)

X34 user issue : (a more detailed description and how to replicate it all the time)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR6Q2atokIw

So Nvidia was aware of this, according to PC Monitors and the newer Driver was supposed to fix this, however the gamescom driver showed up and the problem was not fixed.

This is unacceptable.

They pulled a similar stunt with previous x27 and Pg27UQ monitors, which had Black crush at 144Hz, they silently updated firmware in newer models and promised a firmware update that users can apply themselves by 2018. its almost Late 2019 and this Firmware tool is nowhere to be found.

here is the press release:

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwi704uo1pfkAhWaXCsKHVKABFwQFjABegQIAhAB&url=https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1036750/&usg=AOvVaw2274mqusyS8CjskkRjVce2

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
It's a freaking joke, you pay that much for a display and face such issues. People should demand refunds and not bother with waiting for potential fixes.

It's a freaking joke, you pay that much for a display and face such issues. People should demand refunds and not bother with waiting for potential fixes.
These monitors r kinda worth the price, atleast for me but they are really lacking in supporting them which is the major issue.

They should be offering onsite service.

It took me 8 months, from Jan to Aug 2019 To get a refund on my faulty PG27UQ, which had the early firmware problems and later the fan was spinning at full speed making 80db of noise! plus I had like 20 dead pixels show up. The HDR and 4k expirience was amazing until it worked.

I as thinking on buying the pg35vq with the refund as it costs the same here, but then I found out about this. Just like last time They are all being silent about it. I am hoping that media picks this up to show how bad the support is for G SYNC ULTIMATE.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
A faulty monitor is a faulty monitor. We have warranties for a reason and I really don't see why anyone should wait for a magical firmware fix.

Also, is this confirmed to be an actual big problem or is it just a few people having problems?

Someone probably will, if you pay for it.

Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
These monitors r kinda worth the price, atleast for me but they are really lacking in supporting them which is the major issue.

It took me 8 months, from Jan to Aug 2019 To get a refund on my faulty PG27UQ, which had the early firmware problems and later the fan was spinning at full speed making 80db of noise! plus I had like 20 dead pixels show up. The HDR and 4k expirience was amazing until it worked.

I as thinking on buying the pg35vq with the refund as it costs the same here, but then I found out about this. Just like last time They are all being silent about it. I am hoping that media picks this up to show how bad the support is for G SYNC ULTIMATE.
And you paid how much for PG27UQ? $2500? This is unacceptable.

A faulty monitor is a faulty monitor. We have warranties for a reason and I really don't see why anyone should wait for a magical firmware fix.

Also, is this confirmed to be an actual big problem or is it just a few people having problems?

Someone probably will, if you pay for it.

It confirmed to Affect PG35VQ and Acer Predator X35 according to PC Monitors, it effects the panel/Gsync module these 2 monitors use. Its looks really bad when 8/10 games do it and the scanlines look really bad for $3000 monitor.

I posted this here hoping TPU editors can do more investigation and publish about it so nvidia stops abandoning customers.

Even with the 2080Ti 's dying issue, Nvidia never released a statement until it was widespread in the media. These monitors are super low volume so the changes of a lot of people complaining is very very low.

But its not right to dis customers like this when they are spending thousands to buy something.

And you paid how much for PG27UQ? $2500? This is unacceptable.

was $3499 AUD yeah. I got all of it back tho. PG35VQ is $3599 here. I really cant go back to non HDR monitors after experiencing them, The x27 dropped to $1999 here but I have been wanting to get the Pg35VQ because of smart fan control and 1440p for higher frame rate. However Acer is $3999 and doesnt have smart fan control , PC centric talks about the fan issue in his review of the X35 and it sounds very similar to what i experienced with the PG27UQ until it went bust.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
It confirmed to Affect PG35VQ and Acer Predator X35 according to PC Monitors, it effects the panel/Gsync module these 2 monitors use. Its looks really bad when 8/10 games do it and the scanlines look really bad for $3000 monitor.

I posted this here hoping TPU editors can do more investigation and publish about it so nvidia stops abandoning customers.

Even with the 2080Ti 's dying issue, Nvidia never released a statement until it was widespread in the media. These monitors are super low volume so the changes of a lot of people complaining is very very low.

But its not right to dis customers like this when they are spending thousands to buy something.

was $3499 AUD yeah. I got all of it back tho. PG35VQ is $3599 here. I really cant go back to non HDR monitors after experiencing them, The x27 dropped to $1999 here but I have been wanting to get the Pg35VQ because of smart fan control and 1440p for higher frame rate. However Acer is $3999 and doesnt have smart fan control , PC centric talks about the fan issue in his review of the X35 and it sounds very similar to what i experienced with the PG27UQ until it went bust.

Price is frankly irrelevant, unless it's specifically stated that something like on site service is included, which it isn't. And how many are "many" in this context? And does it affect all monitors of those make and models?

D

Deleted member 67555

Sometimes the bleeding edge of technology leaves you bleeding on the edge of insanity.
You have to understand that at this price point you're paying a premium to be a BETA tester.
You beta test at $3500 and 2 years later I get to buy the fully functional tested version for $500.
Nobody is putting this into print because you are literally getting what you paid for.

If they did it would devolve very quickly into people referencing stuff like the "Fire Festival" and basically saying you're getting what you deserve..etc.

It is what it is.

Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Not to mention, paying $3500 for a freaking monitor would buy you next day D2D service in case anything goes wrong with it.

System Name Blackbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF B550-Plus WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill FlareX 3200Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060 Ti Gaming Z
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + WD SN550 1TB + Samsung 860 QVO 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard MasterKeys Pro S White (MX Brown)
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores It plays games.
You have to understand that at this price point you're paying a premium to be a BETA tester.
That would be fine if we were talking about some minor technological shortcomings or compromises of a new technology/panel/whatever. This amount of flickering makes it unusable and should be considered defective.
The more you pay for product, the stricter you should be with its quality level, early adopter tech or not.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

You spotted a trend you dont like and yet continue to give them attention and money.

Get a refund. Simple as that. Its the only thing that counts in business: money. Promises of firmware to fix it are two bridges too far already. It should be released in a fully working condition, end of story.

Asus and Nv simply have no excuse yet you buy their nonsense anyway because 'the monitor is worth it'... apparently its not, after all, is it?

Oh and on top of that, when the money is returned you can always buy the same model once the problems are fixed. And you get the interest on that money too, instead of a company that is not delivering - even that should be enough on bare principle IMO.

paying a premium to be a BETA tester.
You beta test at $3500

No, just no. This is not some hard to reproduce bug, its a firmware problem and/or hardware problem. And the product does not work as advertised, nor does it carry a beta sticker. This is not sone iterative piece of software like a game... dont confuse the two.

Earky adopting is one thing, paying for a product that doesnt work as it should is just refundable. There is nothing else to it nor should there be.

Last edited:
System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
It truly astonishes me they can sell this garbage for thousands of dollars. And even more so that people are buying it.

Never buy the absolute top of the line of anything, this isn't some peasant advice, I really mean it. The more expensive and cutting edge it is, the lower the volume they sell and the less incentive from the manufacturer to fix anything wrong with it.

D

Deleted member 178884

This reminds me of the state of current LGA 3647 boards, I know someone who's had three DOA dominus boards and asus are still "looking into it" with tons of users reporting plenty of issues.

Sometimes the bleeding edge of technology leaves you bleeding on the edge of insanity.
You beta test at $3500 and 2 years later I get to buy the fully functional tested version for $500.
Nobody is putting this into print because you are literally getting what you paid for.

If they did it would devolve very quickly into people referencing stuff like the "Fire Festival" and basically saying you're getting what you deserve..etc.

It is what it is.

Yes BETA testing is fine, but not actually admitting the issue to customers and refusing tot tell them if a fix will be out or not is unacceptable when you actually paid and purchased the product.

Price is frankly irrelevant, unless it's specifically stated that something like on site service is included, which it isn't. And how many are "many" in this context? And does it affect all monitors of those make and models?

it affects the particular panel and gsync module, These are only used in x35 and PG35VQ. So all of them should be effected. Also the PG35VQ isnt technically out. No one has stock. My guess is only 4-5 units shipped to customers worldwide.

It truly astonishes me they can sell this garbage for thousands of dollars. And even more so that people are buying it.

Never buy the absolute top of the line of anything, this isn't some peasant advice, I really mean it. The more expensive and cutting edge it is, the lower the volume they sell and the less incentive from the manufacturer to fix anything wrong with it.

Well the visual facility you get is totally worth it, i have seen many HDR Tv's and nothing comes close to these unless OLED which have burn in. TV's r also way too big for desks.

I dont know if you get good after service for buying something like a Ferrari but you definitely dont for buying these G SYNC ultimate monitors and its a huge issue to people who are legitimately interested in buying them for the extra visuals you get.

the problem/issue here is that stuff is being sold with major issues and they are not communicating with their customers.. This is just plain wrong and Evil. This crap even happened with Acer x24 model where it has banding issue and was only fixable by firmware flashing.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
This is just plain wrong and Evil.

So what do you want? A reality check, or a topic to keep complaining about it?

If you want social media shitstorm, Reddit is that way. Meanwhile, anyone with two brain cells gets a refund seeing such issues. I mean seriously. Come on. Do you really have to wonder why manufacturers can keep pulling stunts like these? Its because of people like you...

Sry for direct delivery, but I hope this gets the message through to you.

And ehh, bottom line, you'd have been better off with 1500 bucks for an OLED TV with decent input lag :D You could buy two, burn one up and still come out winning.

Last edited:
Update to this problem, a couple more users have this issue. Still waiting for Nvidia, Acer and Asus. I find it hard to believe that none of them came across this issue when almost every user has it.

Acer support is like 'use lower overclock'

Space Lynx

Astronaut

LinusTechTips Linus has this monitor, given to him for free, and he showed the glowing haze on Steam's dark background with HDR turned on, oof... something tells me they will never be able to truly get HDR right on high refresh gaming monitors.

on-topic... yeah that has to be frustrating being so expensive... I'm currently rocking a 21:9 200hz ultrawide, but its a budget one at $299 2560 x 1080 30" I like it so far... some games refuse to launch at this resolution, a bit frustrating, but its ok, I just will play games that benefit from 21:9 on this monitor, and then go back to my laptop screen for games that refuse to launch

So what do you want? A reality check, or a topic to keep complaining about it?

If you want social media shitstorm, Reddit is that way. Meanwhile, anyone with two brain cells gets a refund seeing such issues. I mean seriously. Come on. Do you really have to wonder why manufacturers can keep pulling stunts like these? Its because of people like you...

Sry for direct delivery, but I hope this gets the message through to you.

And ehh, bottom line, you'd have been better off with 1500 bucks for an OLED TV with decent input lag :D You could buy two, burn one up and still come out winning.

and yes, we as citizens of the USA or EU have legal right to refund within 14 days of purchase no matter what, so people should learn to test their products more often and decide if it meets their standards or not, and if not, refund. this is beneficial to the free markets, yet requires government intervention, its one of the few and weird symbiosis effects that take place between the two systems

Blejd

LinusTechTips Linus has this monitor, given to him for free, and he showed the glowing haze on Steam's dark background with HDR turned on, oof... something tells me they will never be able to truly get HDR right on high refresh gaming monitors.

LinusTechTips showed the Hallo effect on a black background in Steam which is completely normal in this type of monitor with a large backlight zone, which does not interfere with normal use and can not be seen in games and normal use, anyway, the backlight zones can be turned off or turned on similarly with HDR.
Don't sow ferment.

LinusTechTips showed the Hallo effect on a black background in Steam which is completely normal in this type of monitor with a large backlight zone, which does not interfere with normal use and can not be seen in games and normal use, anyway, the backlight zones can be turned off or turned on similarly with HDR.
Don't sow ferment.

I highly doubt that linus does any gaming on his pc. Its prolly his wife (he posts pics on twitter) that uses it. Linus does way too much work to be gaming.

I am surprised that there arr so many reviews on these monitors and no one other than PC Monitors picked up this issue.

Blejd

I highly doubt that linus does any gaming on his pc. Its prolly his wife (he posts pics on twitter) that uses it. Linus does way too much work to be gaming.

I am surprised that there arr so many reviews on these monitors and no one other than PC Monitors picked up this issue.

Linus himself said that he took Asus PG35VQ home for playing, and got a different 38-inch ultrawide from LG for work and uses it.

Perhaps this is not a common problem and only occurs in some models and revisions, it is also a bit surprising to me that other testers did not notice it, but it is probably because the problem occurs in specific cases.

Space Lynx

Astronaut

incorrect Linus is complaining in that video and says these monitors need more dimming zones.

incorrect, Linus plays a lot of Anno 1800 lately, he has said as much, shown his gameplay in several videos, etc.

johnspack

Here For Good!
System Name System2 Blacknet , System1 Blacknet2
Processor System2 Threadripper 1920x, System1 2699 v3
Motherboard System2 Asrock Fatality x399 Professional Gaming, System1 Asus X99-A
Cooling System2 Noctua NH-U14 TR4-SP3 Dual 140mm fans, System1 AIO
Memory System2 64GBS DDR4 3000, System1 32gbs DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) System2 GTX 980Ti System1 GTX 970
Storage System2 4x SSDs + NVme= 2.250TB 2xStorage Drives=8TB System1 3x SSDs=2TB
Display(s) 2x 24" 1080 displays
Case System2 Some Nzxt case with soundproofing...
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U7 MKII
Power Supply System2 EVGA 750 Watt, System1 XFX XTR 750 Watt
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Ducky
Software Manjaro, Windows 10, Kubuntu 23.10
Benchmark Scores It's linux baby!
Rich ppl probs... always a hoot to us poor!

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64

It is what it is.

Pioneer of tech=arrows in back

incorrect Linus is complaining in that video and says these monitors need more dimming zones.

incorrect, Linus plays a lot of Anno 1800 lately, he has said as much, shown his gameplay in several videos, etc.

What does Local dimming have to with Flickering and artifacting ?

You are speculating as much as I am here. Him showing it doesnt meant anything unless you actually saw him in person. They are just words. Also playing just one game is the problem why he didnt come across the issue or his unit is perfect, but none of the reviewers talked about this problem.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Go to social media and report the problems is best solution for you.