• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Making Audio Enhancers Work on Windows

So, which audio enhancer you are going to use, which is best according to you ?

Most people find DOLBY GAMING to be good in comparison with other top audio enhancers
I used both Dolby SpeakSys Gaming and SBC. using the config in this topic long times ago. its still work with my laptop via hdmi cable and my old mobo h110m ds2. but i dont know why in b360g strix. apo seem not working. I think I will try to disable the original nahimic.
BTW do you know any software that support upmixing stereo source to 5.1 surround like the immersion function in SBC? I cant find any software thats has upmixing work. SonicStudio upmixing very terrible.

Real true upmixing needs a supported hardware, audio enhancers just virtualizes it, it's not fully real upmixing, Get best Dolby Atmos Sound Bar or Receiver which has dolby designed hardware & tuning

System Name Dell Inspiron 7375
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700U Mobile Processor with Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics
Memory 16GB (total) 2400MHz DDR4 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics
Storage SanDisk X600 SATA SSD 512GB
Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC3253 (Dell Labelling) ALC255 (Real name)
Real true upmixing needs a supported hardware, audio enhancers just virtualizes it, it's not fully real upmixing, Get best Dolby Atmos Sound Bar or Receiver which has dolby designed hardware & tuning
What do you mean by "True Upmixing"?
Dolby PCEE4 and later versions of Dolby APO uses equivalent upmixing as Dolby Surround Upmixer, the one used in Atmos devices.

It was implemented on hardware for a later time because hardware DSPs were not that powerful. Also, no 5.1-7.1 hardware gets to use Atmos, as DSPs for these 5.1-7.1 devices are based on old versions of DSPs.

Also most hardware DSPs process in integer formats, whereas PC dolby apps (except PCEE4) process audio in 32float.

To summarise: The best upscaling is on PC using software, compared to hardware DSPS.

Dolby does not truly do individual tuning; it is the manufacturers that do that using procedures that Dolby defines. Hardware performance is not tuned; it's the process of dialog norm and other similar parameters of the digital format that Dolby controls.

There is no "hardware upmixing".
Hardware upconversion was done in Creative sound cards, latest being a true DSP engine:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mu_20K
There is also Hardware mixing. Those cards are usuallyrrecognized by being ASIO low latency compatible.

Last edited:
What do you mean by "True Upmixing"?
Dolby PCEE4 and later versions of Dolby APO uses equivalent upmixing as Dolby Surround Upmixer, the one used in Atmos devices.

It was implemented on hardware for a later time because hardware DSPs were not that powerful. Also, no 5.1-7.1 hardware gets to use Atmos, as DSPs for these 5.1-7.1 devices are based on old versions of DSPs.

Also most hardware DSPs process in integer formats, whereas PC dolby apps (except PCEE4) process audio in 32float.

To summarise: The best upscaling is on PC using software, compared to hardware DSPS.

Dolby does not truly do individual tuning; it is the manufacturers that do that using procedures that Dolby defines. Hardware performance is not tuned; it's the process of dialog norm and other similar parameters of the digital format that Dolby controls.

What i meant is Software does upmixes, for full experience we need compatible hardware

I wonder, if software can do better, then why manufacturers makes audio hardware devices integrated with Dolby, DTS etc, they should just make software for all range of devices

Last edited:
Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
What i meant is Software does upmixes, for full experience we need compatible hardware

I wonder, if software can do better, then why manufacturers makes audio hardware devices integrated with Dolby, DTS etc, they should just make software for all range of devices
Indeed, that's why Trinnov implements everything in software (Trinnov Altitude). Not cheap.
Hardware implementation is cheaper and power efficient. Why implement a whole OS + specific app if an asic dsp with all features is already available?

Because to increase profits for the company.
If only software is created and everyone can install it, the product price is very cheap. The manufacturer will not make much money.

If integrated into hardware, manufacturers can increase product costs, to make a lot of money from consumers

Companies always put their own interests to make more money, than to make the product the cheapest

Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
Because to increase profits for the company.
If only software is created and everyone can install it, the product price is very cheap. The manufacturer will not make much money.

If integrated into hardware, manufacturers can increase product costs, to make a lot of money from consumers

Companies always put their own interests to make more money, than to make the product the cheapest
By manufacturers, you mean receiver making companies, or Dolby/DTS?
Receiver manufacturers use DSPs as they are a simpler solution.
Increasing product cost is a dumb procedure and no one in any sector does that. Nobody said that final end-user price must reflect product cost. Thus increasing product cost of manufacturing only reduces profit margins. Make product as cheap as possible then sell as expensive as the market can tolerate. The trick to high profits. See Nvidia (turing), Intel, Apple.

Codec developers usually provide bulk licenses for manufactured devices, similar to software.

By manufacturers, you mean receiver making companies, or Dolby/DTS?
Receiver manufacturers use DSPs as they are a simpler solution.
Increasing product cost is a dumb procedure and no one in any sector does that. Nobody said that final end-user price must reflect product cost. Thus increasing product cost of manufacturing only reduces profit margins. Make product as cheap as possible then sell as expensive as the market can tolerate. The trick to high profits. See Nvidia (turing), Intel, Apple.

Codec developers usually provide bulk licenses for manufactured devices, similar to software.
Laptop computer brands: Lenovo, Xiaomi, Huawei, ... all integrate EQ software with the name Dolby Atmos, with the aim of deceiving the consumer sense.
Actually Dolby Atmos is integrated on a laptop that is not decoding software, like on the AV Receiver. It's just an audio editing software, it increases the sound detail. Different with Dolby Atmos integrated in the AV Receiver

In addition, the laptop only supports 2 audio channels only. It also doesn't have all the ports to produce true Dolby Atmos. If want supported, you need uses Dolby Access via HDMI, rather any Dolby mod software mentioned in the forum.

Concluded: Dolby Atmos at this forum is only a simulator, and if it produces 7 audio channels, it is only Dolby Digital Plus, it is not true Dolby Atmos.

But, why do computer manufacturers integrate into their laptops?
Dolby Atmos is a name that has been gaining a lot of attention recently. Just by integrating this name into an EQ software, it certainly attracts laptop buyers

So manufacturers contacted and collaborated with Dolby to create an EQ, which could help them increase costs, when integrating an EQ called Dolby Atmos.

This has happened to HP. They also integrate Beats Audio. But it is only 1 EQ. It is not a set of speakers produced from Beats

Thus, Dolby Atmos on laptops is just a name, to raise the cost of products

Laptop computer brands: Lenovo, Xiaomi, Huawei, ... all integrate EQ software with the name Dolby Atmos, with the aim of deceiving the consumer sense.
Actually Dolby Atmos is integrated on a laptop that is not decoding software, like on the AV Receiver. It's just an audio editing software, it increases the sound detail. Different with Dolby Atmos integrated in the AV Receiver

In addition, the laptop only supports 2 audio channels only. It also doesn't have all the ports to produce true Dolby Atmos. If want supported, you need uses Dolby Access via HDMI, rather any Dolby mod software mentioned in the forum.

Concluded: Dolby Atmos at this forum is only a simulator, and if it produces 7 audio channels, it is only Dolby Digital Plus, it is not true Dolby Atmos.

Dolby Atmos is a name that has been gaining a lot of attention recently. Just by integrating this name into an EQ software, it certainly attracts laptop buyers

So manufacturers contacted and collaborated with Dolby to create an EQ, which could help them increase costs, when integrating an EQ called Dolby Atmos.

This has happened to HP. They also integrate Beats Audio. But it is only 1 EQ. It is not a set of speakers produced from Beats

You explained it right, that's what i was trying to explain to CityCultivator, finally he understood what i meant to explain

Display(s) BOE NV13FHM

You explained it right, that's what i was trying to explain to CityCultivator, finally he understood what i meant to explain

Dolby Atmos on cheaper soundbars are also software effects that emulate surround effects. More expensive soudbars do use real top-firing speakers.
To be more realistic, DDP as a software name is also deceptive; DDP is a coded format with metadata, not an audio post-processing effect. Dolby Atmos is the same.
The Dolby Atmos APO we use do have a height setting. This is similar to the additional top speakers of Dolby Atmos, which are called height speakers in Dolby documentation. It is just that the usage method is still not clear to us; no manufactiurer has used the height setting currently.

Dolby Atmos on cheaper soundbars are also software effects that emulate surround effects. More expensive soudbars do use real top-firing speakers.
To be more realistic, DDP as a software name is also deceptive; DDP is a coded format with metadata, not an audio post-processing effect. Dolby Atmos is the same.
The Dolby Atmos APO we use do have a height setting. This is similar to the additional top speakers of Dolby Atmos, which are called height speakers in Dolby documentation. It is just that the usage method is still not clear to us; no manufactiurer has used the height setting currently.

Live it, just enjoy Dolby, why should we discuss about it, it is what it is

Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
Live it, just enjoy Dolby, why should we discuss about it, it is what it is
Yeah. An unneeded discussion that was.
Dolby is providing great sound on my PC right now.

Yes, it sounds good, even if we discuss, we will never understand what really is happening with dolby & it's softwares & hardwares, it's complicated & confusing
Just knowing basics is enough to use UWP Dolby, live complicated things to Dolby Audio Engineers

Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
Yes, it sounds good, even if we discuss, we will never understand what really is happening with dolby & it's softwares & hardwares, it's complicated & confusing
Just knowing basics is enough to use UWP Dolby, live complicated things to Dolby Audio Engineers
I am not interested in simple basics. Audio driver modding and this project APO driver was made because some wise dude tried to understand complicated things. They could then implement this in an indepandent fashion and allow a larger community to benefit from the tools that were locked to other unlicensed users.
Learning more is useful in creating modded xmls.

Other topic
@alanfox2000 I noticed that there is an incompatibility between the registry file "SRS_Premium_Sound.reg" used with product config tool applying SRS premium sound and the registry file "SRS.reg" in "SRS Premium Sound Control Panel 1.7.22.0 - 1.12.95.0" control panel installer.
Not using the registry file "SRS_Premium_Sound.reg" but directly applying the APO config, saving and restarting audio service is enough for using SRS.

Recommendation: If there is no specific need of "SRS_Premium_Sound.reg", delete it from APO driver.

System Name Metal-Tom-PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Extreme
Cooling Boxed
Memory Mushkin DDR4 16 GB
Video Card(s) ASUS RX560 4GB
Storage 1x M2-SSD @256GB/1x Intenso SATA-SSD @120GB/1x Intenso SATA-SSD @240GB/2x WD10EZRX @1TB/1,5 TB HDD
Display(s) 1x Samsung LE40F86BDX (TV)/1x Samsung SyncMaster T240
Case Thermaltake Kandalf LCS
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220A
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 80+ 750W
Mouse Logitech M210
Keyboard Logitech K260
Software Win 10 Pro x64 v20H2
I used its before on my ALC887 h110m ds2 and its works fine. I only used the Immersion function on Creative for upmixing stereo audio source to 5.1 speaker. But now I changed to this mobo I cant make it work again

Follow the instructions here : https://github.com/alanfox2000/realtek-universal-audio-driver/wiki

at the beginning I think SS3 is good at upmixing. Welllllll, I was wrong, the upmixing transform the vocal to the center and all 4 other speakers have some weird sound, its suck. So I decide to move back with the SBC UWP with Dolby Speaker Sys Gaming. But none of their effect work, even indiviually

These Instructions of https://github.com/alanfox2000/realtek-universal-audio-driver/wiki/installation brought me not yet really further, in Cause of using the Batch-File
{C1B4A8FF-5A06-402B-9147-F6B94DECE5D7}.png.jpg

I am not interested in simple basics. Audio driver modding and this project APO driver was made because some wise dude tried to understand complicated things. They could then implement this in an indepandent fashion and allow a larger community to benefit from the tools that were locked to other unlicensed users.
Learning more is useful in creating modded xmls.

Other topic
@alanfox2000 I noticed that there is an incompatibility between the registry file "SRS_Premium_Sound.reg" used with product config tool applying SRS premium sound and the registry file "SRS.reg" in "SRS Premium Sound Control Panel 1.7.22.0 - 1.12.95.0" control panel installer.
Not using the registry file "SRS_Premium_Sound.reg" but directly applying the APO config, saving and restarting audio service is enough for using SRS.

Recommendation: If there is no specific need of "SRS_Premium_Sound.reg", delete it from APO driver.

Recent APO Driver update has some issues with all DOLBY UWP, something is wrong, after doing everything correct, it still shows driver errors, discuss about this problem with alanfox, you too try to figure it out

Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
Recent APO Driver update has some issues with all DOLBY UWP, something is wrong, after doing everything correct, it still shows driver errors, discuss about this problem with alanfox, you too try to figure it out
Here is the thing: i'm not having the problems that you are having; and I have never got such a problem (audio stuttering). Playing 5.1 through Atmos UWP APO right now. Silky smooth. It is in combination with SRS and DDL APO encoder over HDMI.
APO Driver 2.4.0

Here is the thing: i'm not having the problems that you are having; and I have never got such a problem (audio stuttering). Playing 5.1 through Atmos UWP APO right now. Silky smooth. It is in combination with SRS and DDL APO encoder over HDMI.
APO Driver 2.4.0

It's not audio stuttering, it's showing same old driver error, try deleting all dolby related files & registries, delete all dll's everything dolby folder, runtime.xml etc, reboot, then try APO Driver 2.4.1 with any Dolby UWP App, i'am sure it will show error to you also

Try reinstalling Windows 10, then try APO Driver 2.4.1 for Dolby UWP, it will definitely show error, you will then understand what i'am trying to explain

Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
It's not audio stuttering, it's showing same old driver error, try deleting all dolby related files & registries, delete all dll's everything dolby folder, runtime.xml etc, reboot, then try APO Driver 2.4.1 with any Dolby UWP App, i'am sure it will show error to you also

Try reinstalling Windows 10, then try APO Driver 2.4.1 for Dolby UWP, it will definitely show error, you will then understand what i'am trying to explain
I'm ain't reinstalling a full windows 10 and lose time reinstalling all my required applications if everything is OK (Obviously).
Opened DAG interface, and there were no error; I set in in Dynamic mode.

I'm ain't reinstalling a full windows 10 and lose time reinstalling all my required applications if everything is OK (Obviously).
Opened DAG interface, and there were no error; I set in in Dynamic mode.

Ok, when you reinstall windows 10, you will know it

If you don't want to reinstall Windows 10, Try first method

What is DAG ?

Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
Ok, when you reinstall windows 10, you will know it

If you don't want to reinstall Windows 10, Try first method

What is DAG ?
Dolby Atmos for Gaming
If I have some free time,I shall try it. But I think I will bother when I have to reinstall Windows. I don't like to break things if everything works.

Dolby Atmos for Gaming
If I have some free time,I shall try it. But I think I will bother when I have to reinstall Windows. I don't like to break things if everything works.

I asked you becasue you told you want to go deep in APO Driver, i thought you could find solution for this errors

Don't need to reinstall Windows 10
Just uninstall current apo driver, then delete all dolby files, xml's, folders, registries, dlls, everything dolby related, reboot
Try fresh installation of APO Driver 2.4.1 for Dolby Gaming

System Name Metal-Tom-PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Extreme
Cooling Boxed
Memory Mushkin DDR4 16 GB
Video Card(s) ASUS RX560 4GB
Storage 1x M2-SSD @256GB/1x Intenso SATA-SSD @120GB/1x Intenso SATA-SSD @240GB/2x WD10EZRX @1TB/1,5 TB HDD
Display(s) 1x Samsung LE40F86BDX (TV)/1x Samsung SyncMaster T240
Case Thermaltake Kandalf LCS
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220A
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 80+ 750W
Mouse Logitech M210
Keyboard Logitech K260
Software Win 10 Pro x64 v20H2