• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Making Audio Enhancers Work on Windows

Blabla72

Did you check which xml file did you copy to the dolbyaposvc folder?
Most probably you kept the Dolby Atmos xml file; you have to replace the xml file to Dolby Atmos Speaker System.
The most fully featured version is Dolby Atmos Speaker System, and if you play games, Dolby Atmos Speaker System for Gaming.

What difference do you hear between Dolby Digital Plus Home Theater and Dolby Atmos (UWP)?
I can help you modify the xml to suit the audio better to you.
I have 5.1 speakers, but I don't use 2 speakers (the two behind us, with analogic black jack) on my PC, so I have 3.1 haha! It's maybe for this?

EDIT: What is the different between "TunedV2" and "Untuned"?
Same for "DAPv251-VLLDP" and "DAPv251-VLLDP120"?

What use?

Last edited:
I have 5.1 speakers, but I don't use 2 speakers (the two behind us, with analogic black jack) on my PC, so I have 3.1 haha! It's maybe for this?

EDIT: What is the different between "Tuned V2" and "Tuned V2"?
Same for "DAPv251-VLLDP" and "DAPv251-VLLDP120"?

What use?
ask alanfox2000 to answer

Blabla72

Ok! I wait the @alanfox2000 response's.

EDIT: I installed Dolby Atmos Speaker System for Gaming (the full premium version of UWP apps). But, I have 4 questions:

1) I have selected this:

But I don't have Realtek more options (fill speaker). Why?

Yet I selected "3rd Effects with Realtek Effects for Realtek UAD".

2) For my headphones (in stereo), I have a different second recording in the sound manager called "Realtek HD Audio 2nd output":

So I applied this for both devices:

But, in Dolby Atmos Speaker System for Gaming XML file (DAPv251-VLLDP120), I configured 5.1 speakers, but my headphones is only stereo.
How can I have configuration only for my headphones in stereo?

3) Finally, do you recommend that I activate the automatic profile? Also, I have a preference for the "Music" profile, but is the "Dynamic" profile preferable? I await your feedback.

4) It's possible to install other software with Dolby Atmos Speaker System for Gaming? Like DTS (example). Have you advice?

Last edited:
System Name Dell Inspiron 7375
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700U Mobile Processor with Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics
Memory 16GB (total) 2400MHz DDR4 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics
Storage SanDisk X600 SATA SSD 512GB
Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC3253 (Dell Labelling) ALC255 (Real name)
Ok! I wait the @alanfox2000 response's.

EDIT: I installed Dolby Atmos Speaker System for Gaming (the full premium version of UWP apps). But, I have 4 questions:

1) I have selected this:

But I don't have Realtek more options (fill speaker). Why?

Yet I selected "3rd Effects with Realtek Effects for Realtek UAD".

2) For my headphones (in stereo), I have a different second recording in the sound manager called "Realtek HD Audio 2nd output":

So I applied this for both devices:

But, in Dolby Atmos Speaker System for Gaming XML file (DAPv251-VLLDP120), I configured 5.1 speakers, but my headphones is only stereo.
How can I have configuration only for my headphones in stereo?

3) Finally, do you recommend that I activate the automatic profile? Also, I have a preference for the "Music" profile, but is the "Dynamic" profile preferable? I await your feedback.

4) It's possible to install other software with Dolby Atmos Speaker System for Gaming? Like DTS (example). Have you advice?
1: I'm not sure why it is not working now.
2: Headphones settings use a separate xml, check dolbyaposvc folder.
3. choose your profile according to your audio taste. i prefer dynamic, but that is my choice.
4. short: not possible. long:You need to manually add those to the fxconfigurator window, and is not recommended.

tryfos

Guys after a LOT of efforts I conclude that APO driver+modded or not modded NVIDIA driver (GTX 960) cannot deliver DD live in Win7 through HDMI to TV. Altered TV's EDID to accept DD from PC HDMI. And indeed it does when I use the NVIDIA default driver with MPC and a movie. This is then bitstreamed from the TV to SB G6 via optical, which outputs DD to my headphones correctly (the corresponding led turns on). So no problem with my TV outputting DD to optical when HDMI signal is DD.

However, when I install APO Driver+modded (or not modded) NVIDIA driver and follow all necessary steps I never manage to output DD live and always get error when I select Dolby Digital in the advanced settings (test tone cannot be played or/and format not supported).
Things I've tried:
DS1/HT4/HT3 HDMI/spdif:
With modded NVIDIA driver: I may select Dolby Digital in the advanced settings but then all test tones fail (I have no sound whatever speaker configuration setting I choose, Stereo, 5.1. etc.). This is as close I get to success.

With default NVIDIA driver: When I select Dolby Digital always "format not supported". But when I change to 2ch 24bit etc., I at least have sound.
In all cases I'm able to see the Dolby tab in the settings along with the dolby digital option in advanced dropdown menu.

It's just Win7 that do not want to convert PCM to DD on the fly, I cannot think of something else.
Any thoughts/suggestions? Has someone managed to output DD live in Win7 through NVIDIA hdmi?

dysphasi

I hope someone can help,

I have an NVIDIA RTC 2070 SUPER card, which I connect via HDMI to an ARC Pass switch (shows up as 'HDMI MATRIX' in my audio output devices) which is then connected to my TV.

I wish to use Dolby Home Theatre V4 HDMI for Dolby 5.1 over HDMI to my TV.

I have installed APO_Driver_2.8.6 successfully, selecting Dolby PCEE4 in the installation options.

I have selected my audio device (HDMI Matrix as noted above, ensuring it is the correct device in NirSoft's SoundVolumeView) and using FX configurator to setup Dolby Home Theater V4 (HDMI/SPDIF).

The configurator reports a successful application of the settings.

I then proceeded to the properties section for my audio device, can see the dolby tab and then select 'dolby digital' in the advanced tab.

However, when I select 'apply' I get the error message appear "Format not supported by this device", when it most certainly is! (I use the switch with multiple other devices which successfully pass a DD5.1 signal).

Any help in enabling this would be much appreciated, thank you!

tryfos

Which OS do you have? I'm on Win7 and have similar problems (see above post). 'Not supported format or/and failed to play test tone', even though I see Dolby in the tabs and Dolby digital in the dropdown list of audios. Both with modded and default Nvidia drivers. I think that now the focus is on audio enhancers rather than bitstreaming live DD through HDMI.

dysphasi

Which OS do you have? I'm on Win7 and have similar problems (see above post). 'Not supported format or/and failed to play test tone', even though I see Dolby in the tabs and Dolby digital in the dropdown list of audios. Both with modded and default Nvidia drivers. I think that now the focus is on audio enhancers rather than bitstreaming live DD through HDMI.
Windows 10 for me.

I eventually got it to work (for now... hopefully it holds), by unplugging, replugging my hub and then switching out and back to my computer’s HDMI input on the switch. After doing so, the audio device changed from ‘HDMI matrix’ to ‘Panasonic TV’, so it just seems that the switch was at fault in my case.

That being said, I’m still very curious as to what exactly can cause this behaviour.

System Name Dell Inspiron 7375
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700U Mobile Processor with Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics
Memory 16GB (total) 2400MHz DDR4 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics
Storage SanDisk X600 SATA SSD 512GB
Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC3253 (Dell Labelling) ALC255 (Real name)
Windows 10 for me.

I eventually got it to work (for now... hopefully it holds), by unplugging, replugging my hub and then switching out and back to my computer’s HDMI input on the switch. After doing so, the audio device changed from ‘HDMI matrix’ to ‘Panasonic TV’, so it just seems that the switch was at fault in my case.

That being said, I’m still very curious as to what exactly can cause this behaviour.
The HDMI Matrix device (Switch) did not report support for DD. Your TV does report.
In the initial case, The TV report was not passed on automatically to PC, the Switch report its own internal ID. This ID, as in most cases, does not report support for encoded formats, thus the PC believed that at that moment, the output device did not support DD.

You should more often check the supported formats tab. And if there is still issues, you might need to change the ID support using Custom Resolution Utility.

tryfos

The HDMI Matrix device (Switch) did not report support for DD. Your TV does report.
In the initial case, The TV report was not passed on automatically to PC, the Switch report its own internal ID. This ID, as in most cases, does not report support for encoded formats, thus the PC believed that at that moment, the output device did not support DD.

You should more often check the supported formats tab. And if there is still issues, you might need to change the ID support using Custom Resolution Utility.
My TV reports DD to the PC just fine, but I can't get DD live to work in Win7 for the life of me, whatever I've tried.

System Name Windows 10 Pro 20H2
Processor Core i7, 4712MQ, 2.3 GHz
Motherboard HP Probook 440G1 Laptop
Memory 12 GB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon HD 8600/8700 M
Storage 480 GB, SSD
Display(s) 1
Just installed APO release 2.8.7 hoping Dolby would work this time but it all same doesn't work :(. Anyone have success with Dolby so far?

Just installed APO release 2.8.7 hoping Dolby would work this time but it all same doesn't work :(. Anyone have success with Dolby so far?
Now it's working to my surprise . I don't do anything just restarted couple of times

Now it's working to my surprise . I don't do anything just restarted couple of times
How exactly did you get the sound effect to work?

You installed the Apo driver 2.8.7 as normal installation way and then just restarted the dolby service a couple of times?

Memory 12 GB
Storage 480 GB, SSD
Display(s) 1
How exactly did you get the sound effect to work?

You installed the Apo driver 2.8.7 as normal installation way and then just restarted the dolby service a couple of times?
To be specific , I used following settings,

1. Dolby DAX API Service 3.20801.826.0
+
Unlock Installs Apps from Microsoft Store >
Dolby Atmos for Gaming/ Dolby Atmos Speaker System for Gaming

2. Dolby_Profiles_12072020.rar>Tuned v2>DAPv251-VLLDP

3. Product config tool>Dolby DAX3 UWP (DAPv251-VLLDP)

4. Couple of restart
and,

1610998434969.png

+

4. Couple of restart
and,

View attachment 184552
when you said a couple of restarts, did you restart your pc or the dolby apo service a couple of times? Also Dolby's sound effect difference is working?

Last edited:
Memory 12 GB
Storage 480 GB, SSD
Display(s) 1
when you said a couple of restarts, did you restart your pc or the dolby apo service a couple of times? Also Dolby's sound effect difference is working?
I restated my PC, cause at 1st I restarted the service but didn't work. Yes the effect is working.

Changelog please?
18/01/2021

APO Driver 2.8.7

- Update Dolby DAX API Service to 3.20802.829.0

- Update Nahimic APO 4 to 4.1.5.0

How come APO Driver 2.8.7 installs random runtime.xml over my customized one?

@Blabla72 did you get dolby atmos sound effect to work?

Last edited:

Blabla72

18/01/2021

APO Driver 2.8.7

- Update Dolby DAX API Service to 3.20802.829.0

- Update Nahimic APO 4 to 4.1.5.0

How come APO Driver 2.8.7 installs random runtime.xml over my customized one?

@Blabla72 did you get dolby atmos sound effect to work?
Yes! But I lost Realtek speaker fill option, same with this:

Yes! But I lost Realtek speaker fill option. :(
so your using the preset from Dolby_Profiles_12072020.rar and default runtime.xml in ProgramData>Dolby(Folder)>DAX3(Folder) and you can hear the difference?

Yes! But I lost Realtek speaker fill option, same with this:
It's because Dolby atmos is it's own sound effect and you shouldn't need speaker fill.

+

4. Couple of restart
and,

View attachment 184552
It works!!! Lets gooo!! Finally!!! ,

I don't know why the sound volume is very low on all the modes and the same volume expect for Personalize preset, I can only hear the sound difference on this mode and also if i change equalizer settings to max to get loud sound. If someone can help me find out if there's a way to make it sound louder for each mode then that would be great.

Also it will work but randomly the audio device won't play a test tone or audio for some reason.

My speaker configuration is 5.1 with DAPv251-VLLDP120 preset

Last edited:

Blabla72

Ok @Jayce! I got used to not having the option enabled anymore. :)

In my case, I have a 5.1 speaker kit, but I don't have enough room at home to be able to install the 2 rear speakers. So, in the end, I have 3.1 speakers (left and right + center + subwoofer).
At the configuration level, I'm like this:

1) First of all, I only plugged in 2 out of 3 outlets on my PC:

2) In the Realtek app, I chose "5.1 speakers" and unchecked "rear pair":

3) In the configuration of Dolby Atmos Speaker System for Gaming (I'm using the "TunedV2" and "DAPv251-VLLDP120" version), I have configured my speakers (in "C:\Windows\System32\dolbyaposvc") like this:
total_count="4" front_count="3" side_count="0" height_count="0" has_subwoofer="1"

Is this configuration correct? I have no sound loss, and the sounds from the rear speakers end up in the front speakers?

Memory 12 GB
Storage 480 GB, SSD
Display(s) 1
so your using the preset from Dolby_Profiles_12072020.rar and default runtime.xml in ProgramData>Dolby(Folder)>DAX3(Folder) and you can hear the difference?

It's because Dolby atmos is it's own sound effect and you shouldn't need speaker fill.

It works!!! Lets gooo!! Finally!!! ,

I don't know why the sound volume is very low on all the modes and the same volume expect for Personalize preset, I can only hear the sound difference on this mode and also if i change equalizer settings to max to get loud sound. If someone can help me find out if there's a way to make it sound louder for each mode then that would be great.

Also it will work but randomly the audio device won't play a test tone or audio for some reason.

My speaker configuration is 5.1 with DAPv251-VLLDP120 preset
Great, however I'm thinking of moving to Nahimic, just to spare the trouble. With dolby now a days, it's really hit and miss.

Great, however I'm thinking of moving to Nahimic, just to spare the trouble. With dolby now a days, it's really hit and miss.
Is Nahamic even as good and loud as Dolby is in terms of sound quality for surround sound?

Last edited: