• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Many HDMI and Coaxial Antenna Cables in the Market Don't Meet EU EMC Regulations

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Yes.

I would assume it would have more to do with the place of manufacture, standards, testing, and qa/qc. Odds are probably good that a $5 cable or a $75 cable are manufactured in the same area.
Yes, since most cables are made in Asia these days, but not all.
I would guess a lot of the issues come from, either not following the standards, or there is too many standards/overlapping standards.
I would not be surprised if there was iso, ansi, ieee, and a bunch of others involved in some part of construction, testing, etc. at some point in the production of a cable.

End result is it's unfortunate that the earths resources are basically wasted.
I suggest you download and read the PDF for all the details, but how many standards do you recon there are for making housings for cables that aren't falling apart when the cable is being tugged extra hard? Admittedly they used some kind of jig for the pull test, so I would say it was a bit unfair to some of the cables, since the force ended up right behind the connector, which is unlikely to ever happen during normal usage, even if someone trips over a cable and yank it really hard that way.

There was also no functional test done to see if the cables delivered in terms of meeting the actual specs the cables were designed to from what I could tell, beyond the fact that they were not meeting the standard for interference with other things. So it's obviously just a partial test that suggest that there may or may not be other issues with these cables. Sadly we live in a capitalism, where money is the only thing that matters, be it to cut two cents off the production cost of something so the manufacturer can pocket the difference, or selling this with an unreasonable markup, because of the brand selling the product. Personally, I never understood luxury goods, but then again, I'm not from a rich family so...

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Buying anything has become more and more annoying. You have to do research all the time, because reliable brands, price brackets or shops actually sourcing quality products more or less are dying out. :(
Also makes you appreciate outlets with prober reviews.
Hi,
Indeed ran into a company named cables matter
Just hoping they live by their name lol

Processor Core i5-6500
Motherboard MSI Z170A Krait Gaming
Memory 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black
Video Card(s) Radeon HD7970
Display(s) 2x BenQ E2200HD
Case Xigmatek Utgard
Power Supply OCZ Fatal1ty 550W
Mouse Mad Catz M.M.O.TE
Keyboard Coolermaster Quickfire TK MX Blue
Software Windows 10 64bit
Keep in mind that the antenna cables in the EU are different from the cables that are used for cable modems and most other uses in the US.
Instead of using F-type screw-in connectors, European antenna cables use Belling-Lee connectors, which are simple push-in connectors.

At least in Germany, this only is true for Cable-TV connections or Radio via Cable (which use the same wall socket essentially, just with One being female connector at the wall, One being male).
Satelite-TV or Internet via Cable-TV Provider (DOCSIS) use F-Type connections.

Source: I get my Internet via Cable-TV Provider and my dad was exclusively using Satelite-TV.

On topic: That might actually explain, why I got a better and more stable Cable-TV Signal and fewer WiFi problems, when I was using two at least 30year old cables plugged into each other to Cover the necessary distance. Just changing the Cable to a New, longer Single One gave me tons of problems.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
At least in Germany, this only is true for Cable-TV connections or Radio via Cable (which use the same wall socket essentially, just with One being female connector at the wall, One being male).
Satelite-TV or Internet via Cable-TV Provider (DOCSIS) use F-Type connections.

Source: I get my Internet via Cable-TV Provider and my dad was exclusively using Satelite-TV.

On topic: That might actually explain, why I got a better and more stable Cable-TV Signal and fewer WiFi problems, when I was using two at least 30year old cables plugged into each other to Cover the necessary distance. Just changing the Cable to a New, longer Single One gave me tons of problems.
Right, the way I wrote that might not have been 100 percent clear, as what I meant was that cable modems everywhere use the F-type connectors, although there's a version of those that can simply be pushed in place, but it obviously doesn't make as good contact.

Weird, as a single cable ought to be better, but hey, there are obviously bad cables in the market so...

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
I suggest you download and read the PDF for all the details, but how many standards do you recon there are for making housings for cables that aren't falling apart when the cable is being tugged extra hard?
Wish I had time, as for cables, not really my area of expertise, I am a mechanical engineer, not electrical.
Now on a guess probably a few, there are probably a few set standards, and they are probably more options for testing.

Here in North America, most things are built to certain standards, but there are also 3rd party's that do their own testing and/or QA/QC either on request from the manufacturer or for public safety regardless of manufacture's wishes, I would guess some of it there is probably no 'standard' per se, but more of guidelines for either safety, or reliability. There is the CSA, UL, FM Global, TSSA, MIL, etc, etc. I know even VESA has requirements for 3rd party testing, but I do not know what they are.
Hmmm I do see UL Taiwan listed near the bottom.

As for mechanical/structural side of things, something that you typically won't see in warm climates is Charpy testing of steel, this is usually a request for impact testing for steel in cold climates, and yep, there is an ASTM apparatus for testing.
I would imagine the Nordic countries do the same but probably under ISO standards and Russia probably under their GOST standards?

The amount of standards, and information can be overwhelming.

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
I keep the cables the time warner/spectrum guys give me. I've got a stack of them at this point and they're really HQ.